PDA

View Full Version : Commuting in Auckland

Motu
17th December 2003, 11:34
Well,I rode a bike to work in Auckland for the first time in about 19 years today.....hmmm.....think I'll take the car tomorrow.

Motoracer
17th December 2003, 11:38
Ehh??? Why would you want to take the car specially when commuting to Auckland? I suffocate like a fish out of water when I have to commute in car during rush our traffic. :bash:

Motu
17th December 2003, 12:15
Well,the cars got a stereo,heater,aircon,windscreen wipers,I can use my cell phone and bikes are not even a blip on my radar.

Actualy it was a good ride to work (only 10km) no one did anything stupid,I could clean up some lines of traffic and got to work about 5mins earlier.After not commuting on a bike (in Auckland) for nearly 20years I would of expected much more change - but I don't go on motorways or into any major blockage traffic on my trip.

Hitcher
17th December 2003, 15:07
Taking the bike to work when the weather's nice is a great stunt. It's nice to have a backup when things are a bit shittier, rather than having to hang one's wets up all round the office.

Wet days... Hmmmm... Reminds me of another hobby horse of mine, encountered most recently on my last wet day ride to work...

The Dreaded Vaccuous 30-something kindy mother in a Pajero!!! <shudders visibly>

This inane road twat (usually identified by an inane wanker plate or "baby on board" sign flapping in the back window, as they pass on a yellow line without indicating) really deserves its own forum!!

There. Finally coughed up that furball!
:ar15:

jrandom
17th December 2003, 15:14
It's nice to have a backup when things are a bit shittier, rather than having to hang one's wets up all round the office.

You fscking lightweight :p

I personally enjoy maintaining my sub-half-hour Tatters->Tackers commute while the cagers sit in the miserably stalled traffic that always seems to develop when we get a bit of liquid sunshine. The point of wet weather gear is that it, well, *works*.

Oh and Motu, yeah, unless you're using a main arterial route or coming into or through the city via SH1/16, you're not going to hit serious amounts of 'filtering required' traffic. Unfortunately for most folk that's precisely how they *do* get to work every day.

Big Dog
22nd December 2003, 17:49
Given a choice bike for rest of life or car for rest of life but only one or the other its an easy choice, bike.

But I have to admit there are some days I just can't be farqued. so when the bikes paid for I'm getting a ute or a station wagon.

Not cos of wet weather mind, cos it can be a pain in the arse trying to get 6 boxes of shite to work.

duckman
23rd December 2003, 08:16
Good point Big dog, People ar quick to slag others for not riding daily but I think there can be very valid reasons - Like having to carry shitloads of gear everyday!!

Personally, I'm lucky enough to live close to work and so most days I walk. But if I've got stuff to do during the day (apart from work) then I take the bike along.

Actually I've been thinking about buying a scooter just for the blast into work and save the bigger CC's for the open road. - Does anyone do this ??

Timber020
23rd December 2003, 08:32
Actually I've been thinking about buying a scooter just for the blast into work and save the bigger CC's for the open road. - Does anyone do this ??

Yeah mate, well kinda. I have an RG50 (water cooled, disc brakes, 6sp etc) and to possitively rocks in heavy city traffic. Costs 70$ a year to register and no WOF. I have warmed the engine and it can do over 100kmph flat (max so far 120kmph drafting a truck). It only weights 70kgs (I can carry it up stairs) and turns on a dime (knee down in some places!). You have to keep momentum when riding it but its more fun riding a bike 90% of its ability than riding my 750 at like 10% around town. And after that getting on the 750 is mind bending. :eek5:

next plan, put 150cc motor in scooter..... :yes:

James Deuce
23rd December 2003, 08:49
All my injury accidents on bikes (apart from "The Big One") have been in commuter traffic and caused by people changing lanes into my space very precipitously. I've been hit by a truck who came across three lanes of traffic from behind and tried to squeeze in front of me - and ground me into the concrete barrier (broken wrist) and tossed me into oncoming traffic over the barrier.

Two school mums both changed lanes at the same time in their station wagons full of kids, into the space I was occupying. They hit each other, I braked and avoided but the guy behind hit me and one of the mums ran over my foot (ruptured ankle ligaments). This is just a couple of them. I know there were things I could have done to avoid them but a combination of bad luck, bad situational awareness, and in one case a big argument with my wife which left me in a really bad mood led to bad decisions on my part and being in the wrong place.

I feel way more exposed in commuter traffic than riding like a nutcase over the Rimutakas. Especially since a dude in a van fell asleep at the wheel and ran into the back of my car 6 months ago. I'm not operating at peak efficiency at the moment and I don't get enough rest due to two small children, so I just don't feel like risking it.

duckman
23rd December 2003, 08:56
Jesus Jim - With a track record like that I'm surprised you have the guts to leave the house in the morning!! I'm glad to see you still ride. :shit:

Timber020 - You'll have to post a picture of your scooter once you manage to "shoe horn" in the 150 cc motor!! That'll be hilarious

MikeL
23rd December 2003, 09:06
Well,I rode a bike to work in Auckland for the first time in about 19 years today.....hmmm.....think I'll take the car tomorrow.

It's true that Auckland commuting is much scarier than open-road riding. You certainly can't allow your concentration to lapse. I've been commuting for just over a year now, with a few near misses but so far no damage to me or bike. The advantages are so overwhelming compared to taking the car (up to twice the travel time at 5 p.m.) or the bus (3 times) that only the foulest weather will deter me now.
I generally take my Honda 400 rather than the Suzuki because it's more economical. If I didn't have it, I would certainly consider a scooter.

jrandom
23rd December 2003, 09:14
It's true that Auckland commuting is much scarier than open-road riding

You tell 'em bro! Shout outs to all the Auckland commuters, we all know we're that much harder than those pansy foo-foo Sunday afternoon open-road riders. Hell, forget the tight corners, we get our knees down on *other vehicles*.

:banana:

James Deuce
23rd December 2003, 09:17
You tell 'em bro! Shout outs to all the Auckland commuters, we all know we're that much harder than those pansy foo-foo Sunday afternoon open-road riders. Hell, forget the tight corners, we get our knees down on *other vehicles*.

:banana:

Lol!

You hardass, you :)

Oh, I sometimes ride on Saturdays as well :)

Jackrat
23rd December 2003, 09:31
Back in the bad old days when i had to ride in Auckland traffic to get to work i
always had an A50 suzuki for going to work.
$5 a fourtnight in gas, lane spliting all the way,15 minites on the bike 35 in the car,no contest really.Save the big bike for quality Km,s.
:)

What?
24th December 2003, 05:23
I had the pleasure of travelling from Tauranga to North Harbour for a training course a while back. Mixed emotions on the m/way - it was great being able to split lanes and keep moving when all the cars were not, but it was still REAL scary!
The dilemma, should I do this trip again, is do I spend 3 1/2 hours being terrified in a car, or 2 1/2 hours being mortified on the bike?
(A: Bike. Coz the m/way is only a quarter of the trip!!!)

Marmoot
24th December 2003, 17:45
I agree with MikeL

At one time I lost my voice due to sore-throat after 30 minutes full of swearing to all drivers around me.
The next day I got sore arm for giving too much finger instead.

And the worst thing is they're not classified as work-related injuries......

I gave up rush hour and work from 2pm-11pm instead. Unpaid extra-hour is better than losing voice or sore arm.

Coldkiwi
27th December 2003, 08:54
I've thought about a smaller cc cheaper to run and cheaper tio fix (ie no fairings) bike for the commute, but the reality is I can't afford to run/insure two of any bike and I have too much fun on the 600's! If i'm going to embarrass a boy racer, I want the right tool for the job, and most of my riding is on the commute and where I want the extra horsies :) (spot the Jafa huh?)

Anyway... spending too long off the beast is a mind bending experience when you get back on as was pointed out. I ride like a nonce after being off the bike for a week, so riding a putter would probably leave me in a fimilar position for my weekend fangs.

Go the wicki bike in rush hour I say :)

p.s. I like having sports grade brakes too so I can avoid mummy-crash-queens!

Redstar
27th December 2003, 20:00
I commute every day I can but not to be a biker Martyr but so to get to work on time. It never takes more than an hour on the bike vs up to two hours in the car. Wet mondays are the pits.
I take a little detour down Onewa road I love the transit lane.
I do about 12,000klms a year on the bike and 90% is the work commute.
Your right that you have to have your wits about you but its all relative.
I store a set of wets at work and a spare set of office cloths.
I've never had a problem with the weather you just have to plan ahead.

I'd like two bikes really a commuter and a fun bike :msn-wink:

What would I have? so many to pick from...well cruisers are out I dont just dislike them they handle in traffic like piglets. I did try one :whistle:

Big Dog
31st December 2003, 08:07
So to the sports tourer then! its not too hyper for the traffic but it is capable long beyond my capabilities. ;)

Motu
31st December 2003, 08:46
Then get a dirt bike - comuter and fun bike in one.They are light and nimble,good blatability,fuck...take the curb if you have to,sitting tall gives good visability,you can even stand up to look over the top of vans and 4x4s.

Don't want a dirt bike because you're not a dirt rider - get a Motard then and have even more fun!

Coldkiwi
31st December 2003, 10:10
how about a super retard??? that'd have to be close to ideal for the job. you could also have a whale of a time popping wheel stands for everyone's entertainment! low crash damage bill too. makes sense doesn't it?

TygerTung
10th July 2005, 13:09
Yeah I reckon somthing like that would be ideal as you sit so high and everyone will be able to see you rather than if you are croched over a mini bike

danb
10th July 2005, 19:51
31 December 2003 - LOL who dug this up :devil2:

raster
10th July 2005, 21:40
31 December 2003 - LOL who dug this up :devil2:

Allright for you!!?? :cool:

I'm looking at starting commuting next month once I have my full licence, and need to hear about others experiences.