PDA

View Full Version : UK considering 130kmh motorway limit

superman
4th October 2011, 13:25
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs/drivetalk/5728773/130kmh-limit-for-NZ-Yeah-right

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/70mph-speed-limit-discredited-says-philip-hammond-2365066.html

"the 70mph limit has been discredited because it failed to keep up with these changes - with almost half of all motorists exceeding it, bringing the law into disrepute"

Extension of other post http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/142579-Hmmm-NZ-seems-to-want-to-do-the-opposite?highlight=130kmh

Usarka
4th October 2011, 14:55
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs/drivetalk/5728773/130kmh-limit-for-NZ-Yeah-right

The writer of that stuff article is a goose.

WE'RE MORONS WHEN IT COMES TO LANE DISCIPLINE

Ahh, no "we" follow the law which doesn't require us to keep left on the motorway unlike the UK to which you are comparing "us".

BTW - This has already been done in the US where they showed raising the motorway speed limit decreased road deaths.

Swoop
4th October 2011, 15:12
The writer of that stuff article is a goose.

Ahh, no "we" follow the law which doesn't require us to keep left on the motorway unlike the UK to which you are comparing "us".
In what way is that article wrong?
He is stating a lot of sensible stuff, especially the differences regarding drivers.

We are compelled to "keep left unless overtaking" here, but the morons behind the wheel and the morons behind the police car's wheel fail to appreciate and enforce that fact (legal as it is to pass on the left on a motorway - thank fuck).

Usarka
4th October 2011, 16:39
That was the only bit i read tbh. On the motorway there is nothing wrong (in the eyes of the law) in "keeping right"....

It shouldn't be the case, but to blame drivers is stretching things imho.

Milts
4th October 2011, 16:43

Not true. When I was getting training to sit my car lisense 5 years ago I was pulled up for that and told it was a black mark during the test. If you receive so many black marks (2 or 3?) you fail.

merv
4th October 2011, 16:50
It shouldn't be the case, but to blame drivers is stretching things imho.

Who or what to blame then, the car? Nah, sorry it is the drivers that are dorks. I would feel embarrassed myself if I drove in the right lane not passing anyone and holding up traffic. Why do the dorks seem so oblivious to those surrounding them and just blindly continue on blocking the road like they are driving a pace car?

Me, I'd be all for a raising of the limit. Once in UK I ended up with a Nissan Note as a rental car and it didn't hack the pace, it was so noisy and revvy I didn't feel right staying with the motorway traffic that was close to 160km/hr on the road between London and Southampton. Very few would be going as slow as 70mph. That was a couple of years ago and since then I've made sure I've hired better cars.

Usarka
4th October 2011, 16:50
Not true. When I was getting training to sit my car lisense 5 years ago I was pulled up for that and told it was a black mark during the test. If you receive so many black marks (2 or 3?) you fail.

So? I failed my test because I didn't stop for someone on the other side of the road at a split crossing but legally I was in the right.

Who or what to blame then, the car? Nah, sorry it is the drivers that are dorks.

Set the expectation (the law) and then expect people to follow it. Not the other way around.

Edit: I'm in an argumentative mood so fully expect to be smacked down! :innocent:

Milts
4th October 2011, 17:36
So? I failed my test because I didn't stop for someone on the other side of the road at a split crossing but legally I was in the right.

How about this then.
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM303041.html#DLM303041

2.1 Keeping left

(1) A driver, when driving, must at all times drive as near as practicable to the left side of the roadway unless this rule otherwise provides.

(2) If a driver's speed, when driving, is such as to impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic, that driver must, as soon as is reasonably practicable, move the vehicle as far as practicable to the left side of the roadway when this is necessary to allow following traffic to pass.

(3) A driver may drive in the right lane in the direction of travel when driving on a multi-lane road if—

(a) the driver is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving the prescribed signal of that driver's intention to turn right; or

(b) the driver is passing; or

(c) the left lane is unavailable to the driver; or

(d) the driver is required by any provision of this rule to drive in the right lane; or

(e) a variable lane control downward-facing arrow sign indicates that the driver must drive in the right lane; or

(f) the driver is avoiding an obstruction; or

(g) the traffic in all other lanes is congested; or

(h) the traffic in every lane is congested.

jonbuoy
4th October 2011, 19:46
NZ doesn´t really have "motorways" like the UK. A lot of busy dual carriageways in the UK (similar to NZ motorways) are down to 50MPH and littered with speed cameras.

Swoop
4th October 2011, 19:59
On the motorway there is nothing wrong (in the eyes of the law) in "keeping right".
Rubbish.

99% of the fucking retarded morons in this Banana Republic, who have a "driver's licence" need a lesson in road courtesy.
Most of the fucking problem is the CRAP training given to them by their idiot parents and their bad habits/ingrained shit techniques, and that is then compounded by the inept testing regime here.

The amount of cars I have seen with "DRIVER TRAINING" or ABC Driving School" on the roof, driving down the centre lane of a 3-lane smegging motorway is surprising. The lot of them should be pulled over and stabbed with a rusty screwdriver, repeadedly. Where is Crazy Steve when he is needed?

Scuba_Steve
4th October 2011, 20:06
On the motorway there is nothing wrong (in the eyes of the law) in "keeping right"....

Yes there is, it's illegal. That makes it (in the eyes of the law) wrong!

baptist
4th October 2011, 22:04
Oooh... Not sure I would like to see the limit go up here, as has been said already the driver/rider training here is not good and the standard of driving is pretty poor... When I came here 12 years ago I was shocked at the standard of driving and it ain't got any better!

Also remember the motorways in the UK are far better than here, not surprising considering the extra resources, and it does make a huge difference, as much as the vehicles being driven.

jonbuoy
5th October 2011, 01:31
To be fair, last time I was in the UK I averaged 35MPH between Luton and Southampton on the motorways. Most of the time your lucky to get up to 70 for any period of time around. NZ roads are still probably faster time wise.