PDA

View Full Version : Wheelie disaster...

Pathos
13th July 2005, 14:32
:(

Every other time I've tried to do a wheelie on this thing, I've only gone 10cm off the ground.I didn't do anything different this time but the whole f*ckn bike reared up and scraped its ass on the ground before I knew what was happening. I pulled in the clutch to stop anything worst happening, but my bike's scarred for life...

All the rear lights are totalled and the fairing is damaged. I feel like a noob.

I blame jrandom's avatar for this incident. :mad:

Pathos
13th July 2005, 14:38
If you scrapped the rear and held on, then your a legend :).

...I don't feel very legendary... I just grabbed the clutch and held it there on its ass, flicked the kill switch, brought it back down and almost cried.

loosebruce
13th July 2005, 15:00
You're almost crying now, wait until you do it at 190kph..............

zadok
13th July 2005, 15:02
Lesson learned, I think. I hope. :nono:

TonyB
13th July 2005, 15:04
Shit, I'm amazed you managed to do that with out looping it! Well done (sort of). :shifty: You're either wheelie skilled or wheelie lucky. You've wheelie got to know what you're doing before attempting wheelies, otherwise it can be wheelie dangerous, wheelie expensive, wheelie embarrassing, wheelie hard on your licence if you get caught, and (this is wheelie important) it wheelie does have the potential to lead to wheelie serious injurys. We wheelie don't want that to happen do we?

Where are my meds? :scratch: Dammit, it wheelie annoys me when I loose them.

skidz
13th July 2005, 15:08
What were you doing, sitting over the back to get that little bike to do that?

Pathos
13th July 2005, 15:29
I just gassed it up and dropped the clutch...

I think I may have slid off the seat a bit because I was standing up in the end and the FXR150 has no back support and a very slippery seat.

Flyingpony
13th July 2005, 15:29
So an FXR150 can do a wheelie :whistle:

Didn't think they had enough power to do a wheelie.

Have seen people accidently slip them into gear without clutch while engine was doing 7,000rpm. Did nothing but grind loudly, jump 50cm forward and prompty stall.

I've never attempted a wheelie because they're wheelie dangerous and can become wheelie expensive if they wheelie go wrong. Did you see that picture posted up recently of a wheelie accident. Was :puke: material.
I also wheelie respect my bike :love:

Pathos
13th July 2005, 15:34
I like my bike too, but never knew it could jump like that otherwise I wouldn't have tried.

Motoracer
13th July 2005, 15:42
What the fuck are you crying about? scraped up tail with the rest of the body looking mint gives you shit load of street cred! Anytime someone looks at the scar, just tell em you can do 12s!

Don't you know chix dig scars, specially the cool ones from doing 12s!!!

Chin up and stay on 2 wheels or on 1 at least!

spiller
13th July 2005, 15:49
At least you didn't end up like a lot of us dirt riders!

Gravel.... Ouch! (http://themxtrack.com/truespode_small.jpg)

Chin up and stay on 2 wheels or on 1 at least!

how about none :msn-wink:

Pathos
13th July 2005, 15:51
wow...street cred...

spiller
13th July 2005, 15:56
wow...street cred...

lol yeah.. so if i don't change the broken rear guard on the cr do I get trail cred???

TonyB
13th July 2005, 16:02
Don't you know chix dig scars,

Meh! Thats a myth- if chix really did dig scars then I'd get mobbed by lusty women at the beach/ pool :Punk: ... rather than getting stared at like a circus freak :spudwhat: :rofl:

Motoracer
13th July 2005, 16:10
how about none :msn-wink:

Yea true, for MX and dirt... Though if you go at the Isle of man TT pace on a road bike, both wheels can be lifted off the ground over some crests. :msn-wink:

lol yeah.. so if i don't change the broken rear guard on the cr do I get trail cred???

Fuck man, you dirt riders loop it, smash your head on the handle bars, do back flips, fuckin whip the tail on to the side while catching some air or nose dive onto flat ground when you miss the ramp or into a wall when you fall short of a gap...

Broken rear guard on a CR doesn't count!!! :nono:

spiller
13th July 2005, 16:42
Yea true, for MX and dirt... Though if you go at the Isle of man TT pace on a road bike, both wheels can be lifted off the ground over some crests. :msn-wink:

Fuck man, you dirt riders loop it, smash your head on the handle bars, do back flips, fuckin whip the tail on to the side while catching some air or nose dive onto flat ground when you miss the ramp or into a wall when you fall short of a gap...

Broken rear guard on a CR doesn't count!!! :nono:

Bugger! :whistle: :D

Velox
13th July 2005, 16:52
Woah - yeah that sounds awesome! You had time to flick the kill switch while it was standing on its tail!? And all you did was scrape your lights and tail fairing! Good effort. Pity it wasn't controlled/on purpose though.

mikey
13th July 2005, 16:59
hahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahha hahahha

noooooooooooooooooooob

Ixion
13th July 2005, 17:01
Dude you rock, leave the scars on the bike - then when you ride with others you get ultimate cred!

There is no bike that cant wheelie btw.

I was never able to wheelie my A10. :no: Not even the teeniest little bit.

(Did have a sidecar on it, y'suppose that might have had an effect ?)

Ixion
13th July 2005, 17:09
trust me its _possible_ just needs some encouragement, I am god of fucking up non power enduced wheelies, lemmie have a go at that slow tank thing cha got eh? pt

Don't think y'can wheelie a sidecar cos you'd either have to twist the frame/mountings, or get the chair wheel off the ground, in which case the unbalanced weight would immediately pull you over sideways.

Anyone got a sidecar that Mr John can try on ?

(The Whale *will* wheelie. Sort of . Ain't easy and ain't pleasant. And not good for the cardan shaft.I've seen pictures of the paralever models monoing also)

SuperDave
13th July 2005, 17:24
I am not going to try to wheelie mine for the simple fact that you have to use a lot of clutch and its pretty sketchy having the front just pop up. A wheelie on a bike that can do so from sheer power is fine, but until I have a bike that can do that, my FXR will be staying on two wheels.

I had a great ride up north today riding on two wheels. :yes:

Good on you though for not dropping it on its side and for grabing the clutch and hitting the kill-switch.

Wellyman
13th July 2005, 17:31
Spiller, I did something similar to that on gravel at a GNCC race and ending up sliding on my ass for a while down the gravel road. I was extremely sore afterwards

Drew
13th July 2005, 17:38
I am not going to try to wheelie mine for the simple fact that you have to use a lot of clutch and its pretty sketchy having the front just pop up. A wheelie on a bike that can do so from sheer power is fine, but until I have a bike that can do that, my FXR will be staying on two wheels.

I had a great ride up north today riding on two wheels. :yes:

Good on you though for not dropping it on its side and for grabing the clutch and hitting the kill-switch.
I gotsta disagree with that. If you have a look at my avatar, my ol' fizzer is right up there, and it is not because of the power :no: , it's all about the clutch.
Keep practicing dude, wheelies are cool :Punk:

Zed
13th July 2005, 17:49

Every other time I've tried to do a wheelie on this thing, I've only gone 10cm off the ground.I didn't do anything different this time but the whole f*ckn bike reared up and scraped its ass on the ground before I knew what was happening. I pulled in the clutch to stop anything worst happening, but my bike's scarred for life...

All the rear lights are totalled and the fairing is damaged. I feel like a noob.

I blame jrandom's avatar for this incident. :mad:I sure hope that you didn't feel encouraged to try these wheelies as a result of reading Kiwibiker?? I'm glad that you didn't seriously hurt yourself but I do think you're silly for even attempting it!

I didn't start practising wheelies until my 4th motorcycle, and by that stage I was experienced enough to know that the best bikes to learn wheelies on are those with enough power to get the front up 'without' using the clutch...off-road bikes are even better! My first wheelies were performed on a 900cc Fireblade, and even then I took it really slowly to begin with...now I'm pretty confident I can almost wheelie any bike, but that's me and I've been riding for 20 yrs...how long have you been riding for?

Statement: Motorcycle stunts are not for learner riders! :no:

Drew
13th July 2005, 18:03
Man I hate it when the voice of reason makes sense to me! He gotta point about this, get a real good grip on the two wheel buzz, before trying it on one.
You suck Zed, your like that voice in my head, that Mum always said was my conciense, except I can make that one shut up by ignoring it.

Ixion
13th July 2005, 18:08
I sure hope that you didn't feel encouraged to try these wheelies as a result of reading Kiwibiker?? I'm glad that you didn't seriously hurt yourself but I do think you're silly for even attempting it!

I didn't start practising wheelies until my 4th motorcycle, and by that stage I was experienced enough to know that the best bikes to learn wheelies on are those with enough power to get the front up 'without' using the clutch...off-road bikes are even better! My first wheelies were performed on a 900cc Fireblade, and even then I took it really slowly to begin with...now I'm pretty confident I can almost wheelie any bike, but that's me and I've been riding for 20 yrs...how long have you been riding for?

True . Very true. If you want to learn about wheelies trailies are the way to do it. Y're not likely to be hurt bad wheelying a 150 though, cos any dump will be fairly slow. Biggest danger is losing y'r goolies on a seat grab bar or the tail light (if it's one of those sticky up sort) , and carving chunks off the insides of your thighs as the number plate rips through between your legs. Still got scars from that one.

You did the right thing though sliding off the back. If it gets really out of hand and you can't wrestle it down, just throw the bike away forward and step backwards and sideways (whichever way the biikes not falling).

EDIT. This only applies to little bikes where you've slid off the back after a wheelie from a standstill , like you did. Obviously unwise if you're wheelying a 1000 at 190kph.!

And all said, best not done at all on the public road. Does not get you to your destination any faster (Mr Wari,I need a Nana emoticon)

Dafe
13th July 2005, 18:21
Dude, You should be grateful, This was not a Disaster! Somebody must have been looking out for you, your bike should have probably been spewed out over the road. This is a great wake up call that you should warmly welcome.
In future, the scars might serve as a timely reminder.
You may never know, but this lesson learnt may ultimately be responsible for you seeing your way to retirement, so cheer up chap!
Glad to hear your safe and well.....

Dafe
13th July 2005, 18:25
His bikes a 2 stroke dude. I used to ride a 2 stroke (KR1-S 250). Those things were great fun but pretty dangerous. One day it would pull nothing, next day it was harder to stay on then a bucking rodeo horse. They are sooooo temperamental. This guy probably just found out the hard way.

Ixion
13th July 2005, 18:29
His bikes a 2 stroke dude. I used to ride a 2 stroke (KR1-S 250). Those things were great fun but pretty dangerous. One day it would pull nothing, next day it was harder to stay on then a bucking rodeo horse. They are sooooo temperamental. This guy just found out the hard way!!!

FXR150's a 4 stroke single isn't it ? RG(V)150 is the two smoker

Toast
13th July 2005, 19:00

Correct. Lalala

SPORK
13th July 2005, 19:01
Check and mate.

NC
13th July 2005, 21:17
Man I hate it when the voice of reason makes sense to me! He gotta point about this, get a real good grip on the two wheel buzz, before trying it on one.
You suck Zed, your like that voice in my head, that Mum always said was my conciense, except I can make that one shut up by ignoring it.
I thought that was photo shopped..
Going over a bump :rofl:

Motoracer
14th July 2005, 10:58
I gotsta disagree with that. If you have a look at my avatar, my ol' fizzer is right up there

Cool photo man! Was that taken, when you were riding in the US?

Pathos
14th July 2005, 12:55
People are saying I should wait before trying to wheelie but how does time on the road prep you for wheelies? They're nothing like normal riding, I might as well start learning some time and its best while I've got a cheap low powered bike.

By the way I wasn't on the road, I use the Hamilton Riding School grounds (with permission) when I'm doing something stupid like this.

gonna cost $129 for the lights and 1 roll of duck tape for the fairing. I'm pretty lucky thats it.

Zed
14th July 2005, 15:12
People are saying I should wait before trying to wheelie but how does time on the road prep you for wheelies? They're nothing like normal riding, I might as well start learning some time and its best while I've got a cheap low powered bike.

By the way I wasn't on the road, I use the Hamilton Riding School grounds (with permission) when I'm doing something stupid like this.The more riding experience you have Pathos the better equipped you will be to tackle stunts, because you *should* have gained the knowledge of many unknown variables to newbies such as riding in changing weather conditions (sudden gusts of wind, etc) and on different road surfaces (knowing how to spot the slippery/tricky parts of the road), skills in balance control and emergency braking, etc.

If you have been trying these stunts under somewhat controlled conditions and are a quick learner then you may be an exception to the general rule that learners shouldn't try stunts? But your little backwards moment says it all really...you could have broken your neck!

That's my opinion but it's your life! :ride:

DEATH_INC.
15th July 2005, 11:40
Awesome! Definately don't fix it! You're a legend, in my books anyway :niceone:

You're right about learning on a less powerful bike too,at least you'll only fall off at lower speeds.Try rolling along at 10-15kph next time before you dump the clutch,it should make it a bit more controllable.
Despite what is often said here,trailies aren't the best thing to learn on,they may come up easier but they're harder to balance than most roadbikes,and I can tell you from experience that it f****n hurts like hell to flip one at 100 odd k's on a gravel road.I spose they're cheaper to fix though.....

enigma51
15th July 2005, 11:43
Awesome! Definately don't fix it! You're a legend, in my books anyway :niceone:

You're right about learning on a less powerful bike too,at least you'll only fall off at lower speeds.Try rolling along at 10-15kph next time before you dump the clutch,it should make it a bit more controllable.
Despite what is often said here,trailies aren't the best thing to learn on,they may come up easier but they're harder to balance than most roadbikes,and I can tell you from experience that it f****n hurts like hell to flip one at 100 odd k's on a gravel road.I spose they're cheaper to fix though.....

funny you say that I always found it so easy to wheelie my off road bike but cant get the sport bike thing right cant get it to balance it always feel like Im going to flip it... Maybe that is cause I had more time on a off road than a road bike.

hondacmx450
15th July 2005, 17:13

I blame jrandom's avatar for this incident. :mad:
hahahaahha man you must have looked fucken good for a second and then looked like a cock for the rest of the ride hahahahah practice makes perfict but if you keep that up you will just never be perfict i would buy a skid plate and put it on

DEATH_INC.
15th July 2005, 18:18
funny you say that I always found it so easy to wheelie my off road bike but cant get the sport bike thing right cant get it to balance it always feel like Im going to flip it... Maybe that is cause I had more time on a off road than a road bike.
I rode off-road for about 10 years,I can wheeelie a trailie better now than when I rode 'em all the time :no:

Dafe
15th July 2005, 18:33
Damn, I just don't know my 150's..... I guess I shouldn't have always classed them as being a high speed scooter! Will have to trade my SV thousand and join the revolution!

thmax
15th July 2005, 23:28
they talking about bike scars not stretch marks

Pathos
16th July 2005, 00:16
They definitely are not scooters...

I don't understand scooters with more than 50cc, its illegal to ride them with out a MC license and you still look like a poof riding it.

Ixion
16th July 2005, 00:21
Oh yeah, that's another bike I never could get to wheelie. A Hobby scooter with a centrifugal clutch and belt drive. Couldn't get it to do much else either, actually.

Drew
16th July 2005, 21:10
Cool photo man! Was that taken, when you were riding in the US?
HA HA, it aint easy to do a wheelie, when there is a fuckin Pom standing in the middle of the road, took ages to get the shot. I was doing some mint wheelies on the way back down the road, but coming towards him was a non event. :no:

Drew
16th July 2005, 21:11
Oh yeah, that's another bike I never could get to wheelie. A Hobby scooter with a centrifugal clutch and belt drive. Couldn't get it to do much else either, actually.
WHAT, scooters do the best wheelies on the planet, WhiteTrash will back me up, sinse he could do it way better than me.