PDA

View Full Version : L-Plate Mufti Cop

Deano
13th July 2005, 15:51
I was heading up SH2 (River Road) towards Upper Hutt today.

Parked on the side of the road was the black mufti commodore with what looked very much like an L-Plate in the rear window.

Is this some sort of new deception technique or perhaps a practical joke on a new officer ?

Any ideas ?

bugjuice
13th July 2005, 15:55
if it is, can't they do only 70kph and have a fully licensed driver with them...?? should be easy to outrun :whistle:

ZorsT
13th July 2005, 15:58
if it is, can't they do only 70kph and have a fully licensed driver with them...?? should be easy to outrun :whistle:
the speed decrease is only for motorcycles :mad:

bugjuice
13th July 2005, 16:01
the speed decrease is only for motorcycles :mad:
fer real??

Ixion
13th July 2005, 16:02
fer real??

Yep, no speed or capacity restrictions for car learners. Unfair , ain't it.

placidfemme
13th July 2005, 16:05

your kidding!!!!!!!

that is so WRONG... We have power restrictions... and speed restrictions :mad:

the system sucks!

ZorsT
13th July 2005, 16:07
damn friggin right it sucks, it sucks arse

bugjuice
13th July 2005, 16:07
:mad: fukinggovernmentthinkitsonethingforthemandanother
forusandtheyexpectustoplayfairandpaymoretaxandput
upwithmoreshitandwe'retheonesputtingournecksonthel ine
fukin ridiculous. just takes the utter piss. really does. :oi-grr:

Qkchk
13th July 2005, 16:11
You know what to do............. don't vote for uncle helen... ;)

ZorsT
13th July 2005, 16:14
If only that would work...

Lou Girardin
13th July 2005, 16:18
He must have one of those bronze grade licences - only allowed to chase bicycles.

Qkchk
13th July 2005, 16:24
If only that would work...

Yeah, suxs dunnit..

What they SHOULD do is that anyone who wants to get their car licence HAS to sit their bike licence first.. it may cut down the numbers of people not seeing bikes / u-turns and other non-friendly bike behaviour etc.. BUT on the bad side - the population would drop (some people can't drive a car sensibly let alone a bike) and the road-toll would go up (which would make the LTNZ put more speedcameras on the road blah blah blah) but it would make more people aware of the crap we have to put up with from cagers!!

White trash
13th July 2005, 16:31
Well even if they could only do 70 kays, Deano still couldn't outrun them.

You got that K5 yet, Bee-arch?

Skyryder
13th July 2005, 18:38

Oh and Don Brash is going to change it.

Skyryder

crashe
13th July 2005, 18:51

Parked on the side of the road was the black mufti commodore with what looked very much like an L-Plate in the rear window.

Is this some sort of new deception technique or perhaps a practical joke on a new officer ?

Any ideas ?

Drivers on a car learners can do up to 100km on the motorway etc

Riders on a bike learners can only do up to 70km on the motorway etc.

That sux big time..... it should be the same.

bugjuice
13th July 2005, 18:57

and don't forget the engine size restriction..

jimbo600
13th July 2005, 20:53

Any ideas ?

Well I guess they gotta do what ever it takes to catch you speeders. You're a menace to us other responsible road users.

Road toll must come down mate.

Actually I saw the same mufti with all sorts of crap over the rear parcel shelf in an attempt to conceal his lights and hawk device. It was also a ruse to make it appear more civilian.

myvice
13th July 2005, 20:53
So next time your being a good little biker and doing 70k's down the Southern and some 15yo braindead inbreed who's doing his LEGAL speed of 100ks runs you over you can claim a moral victory as your bones nit.
OR... bin the stupid L plate and rip through traffic like the mad bastard you are and live longer!
To hell with the restrictions, "To hard to police" thay said (for car cc limits)
Cool, so when my son goes for his licence should he go straight in and get a 636?
Hay, why not a R1?
Nothing personal, just double standards
Sorry, what were we talking about?

raster
13th July 2005, 21:10
and don't forget the engine size restriction..

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ZorsT
13th July 2005, 21:13
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

you sound angry

Dafe
13th July 2005, 21:20
Alright Qkchk.... I'm with you on that one!!!

raster
13th July 2005, 21:21
Yea, I guess I am, Got bike off brother 8 months ago, been riding farm bikes most my life so know what bits do, did basic skills and got learners. Didn't ride again till sat restricted, brobly wont ride again till get full, the waiting is pointless.
Haven't got the cash to buy a good 250.

raster
13th July 2005, 21:23
Alright Qkchk.... I'm with you on that one!!!

As if that will make a difference, aint they the same beurocrats wearing different coloured hats.
They think "what else can we do to make it look like we are doing something.

Dafe
13th July 2005, 21:24
Maybe us Wgtn riders should make a habit of giving this guy a toot and friendly wave on passing by. Make him feel, very obvious! that'll piss him off!

Maybe we should try and post a pic on here so we all know what he looks like!
Then we could send a link to the local upper hutt cop station, along with a friendly congradulations on their heightened efforts of revenue collecting.

Wolf
14th July 2005, 09:36
Maybe us Wgtn riders should make a habit of giving this guy a toot and friendly wave on passing by. Make him feel, very obvious! that'll piss him off!

Maybe we should try and post a pic on here so we all know what he looks like!
Then we could send a link to the local upper hutt cop station, along with a friendly congradulations on their heightened efforts of revenue collecting.
Spray-paint "Mufti Cop" along the side of his car when he goes for a doughnut break...

Deano
14th July 2005, 09:38
Well even if they could only do 70 kays, Deano still couldn't outrun them.

You got that K5 yet, Bee-arch?

Well I guess they gotta do what ever it takes to catch you speeders. You're a menace to us other responsible road users.

Couple of cunny funts eh ?

No I haven't got a K5 yet honey, will that outrun the black mufti do you think ?

White trash
14th July 2005, 09:41
Couple of cunny funts eh ?

No I haven't got a K5 yet honey, will that outrun the black mufti do you think ?

Be interesting to see who gets a new bike first, wont it? Me or you, and I'm not even looking yet.

Deano
14th July 2005, 10:43
Be interesting to see who gets a new bike first, wont it? Me or you, and I'm not even looking yet.

Yes, but do you have to run your proposed purchase past the boss first ?

Beemer
14th July 2005, 11:03
I think it is stupid that someone can learn to drive in their parent's V8 Commodore and can instantly travel at 100kph, but a motorcyclist is limited not only in the size of bike they can learn on, but also the speed they can do on it! Look at the number of learner drivers killed - or very young drivers like the 16 year-old who ploughed under that bus on the Desert Road the other day. Considering most motorcyclists are pretty switched on and know how dangerous it is to ride a bike in the first place, why make it even harder for them by limiting their speed?

Until I learned to ride a motorcycle myself, I had NO IDEA there was a speed limit for learner riders. And I doubt very much if I would be in the minority there. It's amazing that there aren't heaps of accidents where a driver rams into a motorcyclist travelling at 70kph on the open road "because I didn't expect them to be travelling so slow".

They should make one rule for all learners and perhaps have an education campaign to ensure other road users know what a learner can and can't do so they give them a bit of leeway.

Toast
14th July 2005, 11:09

Most of the cops are bright enough to realise that, that law does more harm than good anyway, and don't enforce it in my experience.

So, that avatar you have is not you then? :whistle:

raster
14th July 2005, 11:16
Does that cop actually drive with the L-plate displayed

White trash
14th July 2005, 11:46

Fuck no! That's some pic he stole out of a pommy bike magazine. Jimbos tyres are all squared off in the center with chicken strips an inch wide on each side.

ManDownUnder
14th July 2005, 12:07
I thought anyone that's NOT a learner wasn't allowed to drive qwith an L-Plate.

Not sure of that... but open to comment

avgas
14th July 2005, 12:25
i only had an L place, duck taped on me bike to sit my licence - never rode with it. Why? well cops would pull me over for doing 100k thats why - was cheaper to get the old 'no L plate' fine of $40.
Voteing agaist Helen wont help either, there are 119 other morons in there too so we're fudged

Ixion
14th July 2005, 12:31
I thought anyone that's NOT a learner wasn't allowed to drive qwith an L-Plate.

Not sure of that... but open to comment
Yep. Question came up in a thread recently. 'Tis forbidden usless learner driving or instructor preparing for learner or going "back to base" after lesson (which would be an out I guess)

madboy
14th July 2005, 12:41
Doesn't the cop have a restriction in the first place in that he/she/it is driving a Commodore?

Commo vs decent bike... hmmm... not exactly rocket science.

But of course we all know that us people who regularly exceed the speed limit are all trying kill you f***ers out there who NEVER EVER do, so natural justice will take over and our neighbours, parents, work colleagues and friends will take matters into their own hands and banish us from society for trying to kill them... oh... hang on... shit, I got it wrong there.

EVERYBODY I know exceeds the speed limit at one time or another. In fact, my parents have paid more speed camera tax than I have. Then again, their cars always have both numberplates attached...

Oh dear, there goes that theory.

Deano
14th July 2005, 13:25

That's him alright - but he was stationary at the time and had someone holding him up who was later photoshoped out.

Does that cop actually drive with the L-plate displayed

He was parked on the side of the road at the time so not sure. I will try to get a photo if I see it again.

Wolf
14th July 2005, 13:31
That's him alright - but he was stationary at the time and had someone holding him up who was later photoshoped out.
Hard to tell with such a small pic but it looks pretty good. Who did the work? I've got some old photos of me and various ex-girlfriends... :devil2:

jimbo600
15th July 2005, 09:30
Fuck no! That's some pic he stole out of a pommy bike magazine. Jimbos tyres are all squared off in the center with chicken strips an inch wide on each side.

It was the same mystery guy on the cover of Kiwi Rider Magazine.

Don't make me come up there!!

jimbo600
15th July 2005, 09:32
[QUOTE=Deano]That's him alright - but he was stationary at the time and had someone holding him up who was later photoshoped out.

The wonders of digital imagery. If you google the net there's pics of me rooting Angelina Jolie

jimbo600
15th July 2005, 09:33
Hard to tell with such a small pic but it looks pretty good. Who did the work? I've got some old photos of me and various ex-girlfriends... :devil2:

Me and the Mrs are both photographers. I set the shot up and she took the photos.