PDA

View Full Version : V-Rod, help?

nudemetalz
8th October 2011, 23:22
I took out an HD V-Rod Muscle at Welly Motorcycles Harley demo day.
Just wanted to see what they're like.

Despite it being wet and greasy roads...
Despite the weather bucketing down at times...
Despite it having brand new tyres on it...
Despite it being 29kms old..that's twenty nine only so no really opening it up...

I BLOODY loved it !!!! :yes:

Okay,..the riding position took a bit to get used to and the steering was a little vague (no wonder with that huge tyre on the back).
Also they're a lot better looking in the flesh than the pics suggest.

Is this the end of my 5 year Guzzi ownership??

(apologies to the Mods if this should be under Hogs and Cruisers, Product Reviews,etc etc).

flyingcrocodile46
9th October 2011, 00:23
It's perfectly ok.

http://publications.msss.gouv.qc.ca/acrobat/f/documentation/2003/03-302-01A.pdf

Bonez
9th October 2011, 06:22
Is this the end of my 5 year Guzzi ownership?? Well, there's always hope ;).

Hitcher
9th October 2011, 19:32
The Purists will tell you it's not a proper Harley. Religion does funny things to people at times.

DrunkenMistake
9th October 2011, 19:34
The Purists will tell you it's not a proper Harley. Religion does funny things to people at times.

He rode it in the Rain,
It can't be a HD.

FJRider
9th October 2011, 19:40
If you find you now have a reluctance to wave ... take counciling ... IMMEDIATELY ...

98tls
9th October 2011, 19:53
Also they're a lot better looking in the flesh than the pics suggest.

SpecSavers have a 2 for 1 deal going on,once you have that sorted if indeed they still look the goods then just give up and buy one no doubt its "that time".Just remember all the good times with the wife and resist the urge to walk away and replace with obligatory booze hag.

FJRider
9th October 2011, 20:15
He rode it in the Rain,
It can't be a HD.

Japanese electric's ... it may be possible ... :yes: :innocent: :facepalm:

Hitcher
9th October 2011, 20:21
He rode it in the Rain,
It can't be a HD.

It's a water-cooled Harley. That's why the Purists don't like it.

FJRider
9th October 2011, 20:26

Well ... if all harley owners rode in the rain ... they all would be water cooled ... :rockon:

DrunkenMistake
9th October 2011, 20:29
FJ is in fine form tonight,
I dont think I can spread enough rep to rep you again and again lmao

Zamiam
9th October 2011, 20:31
maybe because its motor was designed in germany.

White trash
9th October 2011, 21:35

Of course it's a "proper Harley"

It actually has nothing to do with the "purists", it has everything to do with the "buyers".

Worldwide, the "buyers" have spent their money on every model *except* the V-Rod (and the XR1200). Harley-Davidson noticed this early on and rightly ceased production. Clever boys.

Here's the skinny. I ride performance bikes. I ride them in a performance manner. A "performance" Harley will not entice me to the brotherhood, that's not why I ride my Harley. If I want to go fast, I'll ride my Ducati/MV Agusta/Triumph, if I want to kick back, I'll ride my Softail. I'd prefer the styles never meet so I can continue to enjoy them independently.

White trash
9th October 2011, 21:37
maybe because its motor was designed in germany.

Get your shit together before you go spouting crap. It was not.

FJRider
9th October 2011, 21:55
Get your shit together before you go spouting crap. It was not.

The engine was developed in conjunction with Porsche

BUILT in Blue Springs, Kansas city, Missouri ... to be exact ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_VRSC

Coolz
9th October 2011, 22:01
The motor was,I believe jointly developed by Harley and porshe.Pity they put such a raked front on it,they could of been on to a winner.

White trash
9th October 2011, 22:06
The engine was developed in conjunction with Porsche

BUILT in Blue Springs, Kansas city, Missouri ... to be exact ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_VRSC

"Developed" and "designed" are two totally different things. Mother fuckas need to wreckognize.............

James Deuce
9th October 2011, 22:08
The motor was,I believe jointly developed by Harley and porshe.Pity they put such a raked front on it,they could of been on to a winner.

Check out the Street Rod. It's proper.

White trash
9th October 2011, 22:12

And a sales flop internationally............

nudemetalz
9th October 2011, 22:24
So if I bought one it would lose it's value far more than the other Rod models?

White trash
9th October 2011, 22:27
Nothing wrong with a V-Rod mate. I love 'em. Would I own one?

Fucken oath. Best Harley ever built.

Coolz
9th October 2011, 22:46
Just had a google at the Street Rod and it looks a much more useful package.

White trash
9th October 2011, 22:57
Just had a google at the Street Rod and it looks a much more useful package.

Sadly, "useful" and "Successful Harley Models in New Zealand" do not go hand in hand. Kiwis are notoriously gay and love to emulate our big brothers, hence no Street Rods or XR1200's anymore.

Blame the poofters you ride with............

nudemetalz
10th October 2011, 09:07
Since my thread is now in the correct place, I'll tell you what I thought of the V-Rod Muscle.

Bear in mind it was only a quick squirt on one (no, not that type of squirt...), I got a good impression of it.
Found that as long as you had the power on, it steered fine through the corners but if not, the huge rear tyre would cause the front to understeer.
Nice smooth (albeit new and tight) motor that is relatively torque down low but comes into it's stride at 5,000rpm (when the air-cooled ones are ready to sign off ;) ).
Riding position took a bit of getting used to with the feet forward pegs and flat bars but after 10 mins was rather natural.
Gear change a little slow but think that's just acclimatisation. Nice light clutch and instruments easy to read.
One thing I really like was the indicator controls on each side and them being self-cancelling as well.

Things I didn't like?
Sidestand is nearly impossible to get out.
A bit ponderous at slow speed due to long length, rake and weight.

Would I buy one?
hmm,..been talking to the missus already...although I'd like to try a standard V-Rod, Night Rod and Street Rod first though.

Do I care about the "HD purist" thing?
Not in the slightest.

Crasherfromwayback
10th October 2011, 09:54
Worldwide, the "buyers" have spent their money on every model *except* the V-Rod (and the XR1200). Harley-Davidson noticed this early on and rightly ceased production. Clever boys.

The V-Rod is now the VRSCDX (Nightrod Special) and the VRSCF (Muscle), and both are still being made and sell well. The XR1200 is still being made and sells well, but the Aussies being gay cunts don't want the XR, so we don't get it thanks to them.

White trash
10th October 2011, 10:22
The V-Rod is now the VRSCDX (Nightrod Special) and the VRSCF (Muscle), and both are still being made and sell well. The XR1200 is still being made and sells well, but the Aussies being gay cunts don't want the XR, so we don't get it thanks to them.

Fucken Aussies........

Scouse
10th October 2011, 10:25
Since my thread is now in the correct place, I'll tell you what I thought of the V-Rod Muscle.

Bear in mind it was only a quick squirt on one (no, not that type of squirt...), I got a good impression of it.
Found that as long as you had the power on, it steered fine through the corners but if not, the huge rear tyre would cause the front to understeer.
Nice smooth (albeit new and tight) motor that is relatively torque down low but comes into it's stride at 5,000rpm (when the air-cooled ones are ready to sign off ;) ).
Riding position took a bit of getting used to with the feet forward pegs and flat bars but after 10 mins was rather natural.
Gear change a little slow but think that's just acclimatisation. Nice light clutch and instruments easy to read.
One thing I really like was the indicator controls on each side and them being self-cancelling as well.

Things I didn't like?
Sidestand is nearly impossible to get out.
A bit ponderous at slow speed due to long length, rake and weight.

Would I buy one?
hmm,..been talking to the missus already...although I'd like to try a standard V-Rod, Night Rod and Street Rod first though.

Do I care about the "HD purist" thing?
Not in the slightest.Go for the Night rod special with black widow tail pipes

Crasherfromwayback
10th October 2011, 10:28
Go for the Night rod special with black widow tail pipes

I took the new 2012 for a blast yesterday for our annual salesmans ride and shout...and the only problem I had with it was keeping my feet on the pegs when on the rev limiter in top gear...:innocent:

nudemetalz
10th October 2011, 11:06
I took the new 2012 for a blast yesterday for our annual salesmans ride and shout...and the only problem I had with it was keeping my feet on the pegs when on the rev limiter in top gear...:innocent:

What's your pick, Pete?
Muscle or Nightrod?

Crasherfromwayback
10th October 2011, 11:09
What's your pick, Pete?
Muscle or Nightrod?

Nightrod Special for sure mate. Much more comfortabiller!!

nudemetalz
10th October 2011, 11:22
Yeah I think the twin pipes on RHS looks cooler too.

willytheekid
10th October 2011, 11:32
I took out an HD V-Rod Muscle at Welly Motorcycles Harley demo day.

I BLOODY loved it !!!! :yes:

Is this the end of my 5 year Guzzi ownership??

:shit:....I...can't...believe...what Im reading :no:

...but they are cool bikes :yes:

You get what YOU want mate, if it makes ya happy, thats all that counts!....besides, theres an old Guzzi Sport in Chch you can ride when ever you want mate....incase ya get nostalgic and all that:niceone:

take care Chris :love:

nudemetalz
10th October 2011, 11:38
Thanks Willy. :)

Just an idea at the moment. I do love the Guzzi still.

Crasherfromwayback
10th October 2011, 11:41
Yeah I think the twin pipes on RHS looks cooler too.

The new one looks awesome I reckon!!

willytheekid
10th October 2011, 11:48
[QUOTE=Crasherfromwayback;1130172239]The new one looks awesome I reckon!!

.....yes ...yes it does :yes: (sexy bloody things...loooong...but sexy!)

....and Chris/Nude has even built up an immunity to your coffee!...could be one of your easier sale's :killingme

Big Dave
10th October 2011, 13:10
Best Harley ever built.

Street Rod.

nudemetalz
10th October 2011, 13:23
Street Rod.

I have an assumption you've tested them all and is your pick?
Is it the riding position and handling that is better?
From what I've read they were a bit of a sales flop.

Mad-V2
10th October 2011, 13:37
I picked up a V-Rod for the old man from Auckland a couple of years back and rode it to Taupo.
After 9 or so years on the TL, the V-Rod felt quite underpowered from what I was expecting, and trying to keep your feet on the pegs was painful after an hour.
As a long distance cruiser it should be comfortable, but I could sit on the TL longer without getting sore. And the TL is not comfortable on a long or short distance trip.
Although I cant say I know anything about the other models.

Big Dave
10th October 2011, 13:40

Can't explain why they flopped - not as aesthetically pleasing perhaps - and also what Trashy says.

Yaah tested them all. I crashed the Street Rod on the launch too. Parked it in a ditch.

Really good handling brakes and cornering clearance with excellent engine nonetheless.

Big Dave
10th October 2011, 13:42
After 9 or so years on the TL, the V-Rod felt quite underpowered from what I was expecting,

They do both produce around 125 horsepower though.

Usarka
10th October 2011, 13:45
I crashed the Street Rod on the launch too. Parked it in a ditch.

Really good handling brakes and cornering clearance with excellent engine.

Does not compute.

nudemetalz
10th October 2011, 13:56
Does not compute.

Was thinking the same thing :facepalm:

Big Dave
10th October 2011, 13:57
Does not compute.

Mostly rider error, too hot - although the ergos did play a part - if it was my bike the rear brake pedal would have been dropped down slightly, as I couldn't fold my legs up enough to engage it properly - seat to peg is quite low - preying mantis syndrome - so I was using my heel to work the back brake.

Overtaking Trevor Hedge and the bike dropped into a dip, when it came back up abruptly, my meat foot was still dangling on the pedal and I locked up the rear - just long enough to all turn to fish-tail custard.

Bike dropped into the ditch and I did a bar fly over the instruments into a sandstone cutting.

Pride and exhaust system dented, I was actually humble for about 20 minutes.

The bike hammers.

Mad-V2
10th October 2011, 14:03
They do both produce around 125 horsepower though.

Yea but the hype around them when we picked it up was "they wheel stand easily" so I was expecting at least the same sort of feeling as the old TL.
Power to weight doesn't help either with the comparison, but I thought because it was a new Harley it would be powerful, and comfortable on long trips.
But My 10 year old jap sport bike felt more comfortable..... I just wasn't all that impressed.

Big Dave
10th October 2011, 14:06
Yeah - the V-rod is a LOT heavier.

OTOH - it does have more power than ground clearance - like most modern cruisers.

Crasherfromwayback
10th October 2011, 14:06
Yea but the hype around them when we picked it up was "they wheel stand easily" so I was expecting at least the same sort of feeling as the old TL.

What fucking dreamer told you they wheelstand easily? And yeah...they're around 100kgs more than your TL...so do the math.

Mad-V2
10th October 2011, 14:16
What fucking dreamer told you they wheelstand easily? And yeah...they're around 100kgs more than your TL...so do the math.

I read it somewhere :facepalm: that was the hype anyway.
I was comparing the TL comfortwise...saying a TL sport bike is more comfortable on long distance than a HD cruiser doesn't say much about the V-Rods comfort. which is why I made the comparison as it was painful after an hour in the seat.
I wasn't aware of the math then, and just knew it was a 1200 so assumed it would feel quite powerful.

But thats what I thought of the early model, never ridden any others.

nudemetalz
10th October 2011, 14:24
One thing I noticed on the ride was that I no longer had the weight on my wrists around town like I do with the Guzzi. Sign of old age I guess.

Crasherfromwayback
10th October 2011, 14:24
I read it somewhere :facepalm: that was the hype anyway.
I was comparing the TL comfortwise...saying a TL sport bike is more comfortable on long distance than a HD cruiser doesn't say much about the V-Rods comfort. which is why I made the comparison as it was painful after an hour in the seat.
I wasn't aware of the math then, and just knew it was a 1200 so assumed it would feel quite powerful.

But thats what I thought of the early model, never ridden any others.

They're way too long and low to wheelstand easily. That ain't to say they won't...they just require a fair bit of abuse to do so. And the early ones are 1130cc, the later ones 1250. But 100kgs will take it's toll vs your TL for sure.

nudemetalz
10th October 2011, 14:28
Damn you Crasher for giving me that Muscle to ride !!!!!!!!!

Mad-V2
10th October 2011, 14:39
They're way too long and low to wheelstand easily. That ain't to say they won't...they just require a fair bit of abuse to do so. And the early ones are 1130cc, the later ones 1250. But 100kgs will take it's toll vs your TL for sure.

Yea as it was the old mans believe me I gave it some abuse, and the wheel does come off the ground when ya really want it too, just from what I'd heard I was expecting far more from it.
But overall I liked the old mans one. It was a floor model and came with all the whistles and bells. Definitely turned a few heads, but I'll stick to the old classics when I can no longer reach the bars on the TL.

Toaster
10th October 2011, 14:41

I was at a cruiser day at Pukekohe raceway a while ago. The V-Rod Muscle is a damn fine looking Harley. One of the few I would consider.

The only concern I have is the tendancy for cordura pants melting on the exhausts and fuel tank security.

Shame they don't use 260 tyres and they need to slap on some V and H pipes like the Victories accessorize with.

Either a V-Rod Muscle or similar in the Victory range would be a blast.

Crasherfromwayback
10th October 2011, 14:41

Pah. You wanted it.:innocent:

merv
10th October 2011, 16:46
Nudez you know what to do, just buy the thing - life's to short to do otherwise :yes:

James Deuce
10th October 2011, 18:10

Only because they felt like a Guzzi to ride - without the vibration and a bit more urge.

Big Dave
10th October 2011, 18:34
Only because they felt like a Guzzi to ride - without the vibration and a bit more urge.

A lot more urge.

nudemetalz
10th October 2011, 19:40
A lot more urge.

I agree there,..the Muscle would definitely leave the V11 behind !!