PDA

View Full Version : Forma boots performance issues?

mazz1972
10th October 2011, 11:38
Hubby has had two pairs of Forma boots, and both have been "unsatisfactory".

Anyone else had any trouble with any of their boots not lasting or just not cutting the mustard? Or have they been great?

As they seem to be a popular brand, just curious what other people's experiences have been/are.

Cheers

Bassmatt
10th October 2011, 11:43
I have a pair of Sigma boots. They are supposed to be waterproof and they are, sort off. When its raining wtaer gets in but cant get out so they fill up with water. Brilliant!

Dodgy_Matt
10th October 2011, 11:57
I got myself a set of Forma "waterproof" boots, cant remember what style and within 4 months they were letting water in. I was using them daily and went and got myself some expensive waterproof linings (plastic bags). :facepalm:
I have now got myself a pair of Gaerne "waterproof" boots and so far I rate them.
I wear them for my daily commute to work.
Don’t think I would ever buy a pair of Forma boots again...

mazz1972
10th October 2011, 12:46
Don’t think I would ever buy a pair of Forma boots again...

We definately wont be!

tracyprier
10th October 2011, 13:42
Interestingly I also started with a pair of Forma's and now have Gaerne.

The formas were the GT2 which leaked like a sieve and even a brand new replacement pair did the same thing with the outsoles coming away on both pair... old Luigi must have been on the chianti the night before or something and forgot to put enough glue on :facepalm:

I now have the Gaerne G adventure which are a FAR superior boot at a similar price

ckai
10th October 2011, 14:51
Well bugger ya all!!

I was gonna put my old Forma boots on Trademe for a $1 reserve and this sort of publicity will ruin me getting a million dollars for them!

Thanks guys.

Seriously though, never had a problem at all with my ones. Not in the slightest. I have no idea when model they are, but my feet have never gotten wet ever. They must be about 2 years old. The only issue I've had is a slight 'knick' on the heel from where I kneel to, say, put my socks on. Only on one of them and that hasn't affected the waterproofing at all.

When I got my new boots I was planning on still using them in winter but my new ones proved fine in the wet so never changed. I thought I might as well get rid of them. Yes I wasn't joking about putting them on Tardme.

To be honest, the only reasons I got my new boots is I didn't want all black boots and I wanted something a little wider so I could wear thicker socks if I wanted.

I must have got a freak pair if everyone else has issues.

Keep an eye out of Tardme if you're after some cheap ones that work then ;) haha

nzspokes
10th October 2011, 15:14
Dont know about Forma but dont buy Oxford ones. rubbish.

Madness
10th October 2011, 15:17
I've had a pair of Forma boots for about 5 years now. I dunno what model they are, just a basic road / touring boot. Bloody marvellous they have been and I was contemplating replacing them with another pair of the same. Maybe now I won't.

Grant`
10th October 2011, 17:22
I have a pair of Forma Mirage boots and so far haven't had an issue with them and have owned them for nearly 18 months at a guess.

Also have a pair of Gaerne touring boots and rate these also.

So I am either lucky or your unlucky, but maybe talk to the shop you brought them from or get in contact with the distributor and ask the question, maybe they will replace them, if no joy with the distributor go straight to manufacturer, no harm in asking a few questions.

oracle
10th October 2011, 18:16
I have these ones: http://motomail.co.nz/estore/style/fobootnero.aspx for just over a year, wearing them rain and shine and have not had an issue. Haven't let any water in or anything. The one complaint I have is the top velcro part does not stay together all the time on the left boot only but I suspect that is more to do with inheriting my mothers fat legs than anything else

allycatz
10th October 2011, 18:20
I have Forma 'Street' boots. Only issue is the front edge of the sole had to be glued back together, but thats probs more how I take them on an off and the reflector bit on the heel has compacted into a crease that can sometimes rub with too thin socks. Other than that they have been waterproof and really comfortable

Taz
10th October 2011, 18:42
I have a pair of the original Forma GT's. I have had them for more years than I remember and done lots of k's including adventure riding. They have been great. Rather worn now but I would definately replace with the same again.

Taz

mazz1972
11th October 2011, 12:01
It's been a long ongoing saga with the Forma boots. This is the very abridged version, LOL.

First pair: $450 Quad/ATV boots, within 18 months the soles chewed right through and they had seriously shrunk. Out of the warranty so no replacement but discount offered if ordered another pair.

Next pair: $450 Terrain TX boots (MX) which leaked like a sieve on first wear during light rain. Granted there is no waterproof inner but even the distributor had to admit they should have provided better protection from leakage for a while at least.

Not dissing the distributor here. They claim to have very few problems with or returns of Forma boots. I'm just totally unimpressed with the performance of Forma's product vs price.

skinman
23rd October 2011, 21:44
Have had mine for about 3 years. I ride every day. started leaking after about a year, liberal & repeated applications of dubin seams to have solved that. No sign of delamination. overall I am happy with them as being very comfortable & offer good ankle protection (yes I have tested that out).