PDA

View Full Version : SEC Launches Harley-Davidson Inquiry

Bob
14th July 2005, 00:18
Harley-Davidson is being investigated by the US Securities and Exchange Commission, following the company’s April announcement that it would limit short-term production and decrease planned motorcycle shipments. After that announcement, a number of shareholder complaints were filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.

The company also lowered earnings forecasts for the year, citing weak first-quarter sales and a glut of 2005 models on dealer floors. In response, Harley-Davidson shares plunged nearly 17 percent to their lowest price in more than 14 months.

Jackrat
15th July 2005, 18:17
2005 models on the shop floor????but it is 2005 still ain't it??
Had to happen anyway,,ran out of rubs.
Maybe the bloody prices will come down now,,,,yeah yeah I know. :cold: :devil2:

SixPackBack
15th July 2005, 18:40
Harley-Davidson is being investigated by the US Securities and Exchange Commission, following the company’s April announcement that it would limit short-term production and decrease planned motorcycle shipments. After that announcement, a number of shareholder complaints were filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.

The company also lowered earnings forecasts for the year, citing weak first-quarter sales and a glut of 2005 models on dealer floors. In response, Harley-Davidson shares plunged nearly 17 percent to their lowest price in more than 14 months.

Never fear there usefullness as a farm implement is not to be underestimated

scumdog
15th July 2005, 23:29
A marketing ploy I assure you..

White trash
16th July 2005, 09:00
I doubt very much this is a marketing ploy. The number of 05 bikes left on dealer floors is staggering for this time of year. Bear in mind, '06 models land in September. I'd say Harley knew it was coming too, hence the reason they released the Street Rod (an 06 model) halfway through this year. They need to create some more interest in their machines very quickly and the VRSC range is the only way to do it.

Jantar
16th July 2005, 09:12
I doubt very much this is a marketing ploy. The number of 05 bikes left on dealer floors is staggering for this time of year. Bear in mind, '06 models land in September. I'd say Harley knew it was coming too, hence the reason they released the Street Rod (an 06 model) halfway through this year. They need to create some more interest in their machines very quickly and the VRSC range is the only way to do it.

Yeah, It seems strange how next years models keep arriving earlier and earlier. I'll hold off on buying my next new bike until Dec 2008 when I shoild be able to get a 2010 model. :whistle:

Pixie
16th July 2005, 10:57
A marketing ploy I assure you..
A marketing ploy that causes your share price to dive is like calling ritual disembowelment with a katana a bellybutton lint removal technique. :devil2:

TwoSeven
16th July 2005, 12:43
Usually the tactic of reducing stock (production) is done to inflate prices (or increase demand). In this case clear stock.

Problem is, the driving force that causes it is lack of demand usually thru increased competition at lower pricing levels.

Sounds to me like the japanese (and british) cruiser market is getting to a healthy size in the states. HD also need to knock about 30% of their prices as well.

Bonez
16th July 2005, 14:18
Nah riders have gotton over the HD anniversery thing and buying REAL bikes again :whistle: