PDA

View Full Version : Practice Practice practice.

FROSTY
14th July 2005, 05:39
I know I sound like a stuck record here folks.
I wanna remind newer riders about the need to get out there and practice good riding skills.
The more you practice the better you are gonna get.
Its all fine and well having a head full of book knowledge (I aint knocking that in any way ) but nothing replaces time behind the handlebars.
By practice I don't just mean getting out on the road.I mean going out to actively practiice one aspect of your riding -be it braking,cornering maybee even getting good clean starts
One other comment I've seen posted here many times is --Ive got 3,5.15 years riding experience. Maybee they have -or maybee theyve got 6 months experience and have been repeating the same mistakes over and over.
Its important to practice good riding habits so they are settled into your subconcious.

SixPackBack
14th July 2005, 07:09
I know I sound like a stuck record here folks.
I wanna remind newer riders about the need to get out there and practice good riding skills.
The more you practice the better you are gonna get.
Its all fine and well having a head full of book knowledge (I aint knocking that in any way ) but nothing replaces time behind the handlebars.
By practice I don't just mean getting out on the road.I mean going out to actively practiice one aspect of your riding -be it braking,cornering maybee even getting good clean starts
One other comment I've seen posted here many times is --Ive got 3,5.15 years riding experience. Maybee they have -or maybee theyve got 6 months experience and have been repeating the same mistakes over and over.
Its important to practice good riding habits so they are settled into your subconcious.

Good point about repeating the same mistakes over and over. I have been riding for over fifteen years, with no accidents for the last 9 years.
Recently a started going on KB rides and realised that my riding skills are very poor.
My riding skills have improved more on a few KB rides than years of practice in isolation. I hope my good safety record does not suffer as a result

mstriumph
14th July 2005, 07:56
Been riding since I was seven .... still learn something every time I ride; I respect that my particular high can punish me badly for complacancy, arrogance, cowardice, inattention ..... heck, sorry, I'm rambling :Oops:

Pwalo
14th July 2005, 08:09
I think you're right Frosty. I'd almost go so far as to say that you need to do a bit of riding before all the book stuff starts to make sense.

But like all things (sport, work) it's the repitition that makes your actions second nature. After that you have the spare capacity to actually analyse your riding, and apply new skills.

I hope that makes sense. Haven't had my first coffee yet.

Motu
14th July 2005, 08:19
And you must also practise your problem areas,don't shy away from certain aspects of riding because you don't like it there,focus on your problem areas and they will go away,or be reduced by a big margin.You don't like riding in the rain?....go out and do it,ok,so you'll never get to enjoy it - but if you run away from your problem areas they will haunt you....

XP@
14th July 2005, 09:02
Practice makes Permanent, not necessarily perfect.

Would anyone in wellington is interested in a carpark session one weekend?
I could see if I can arrange something...

Beemer
14th July 2005, 10:47
When I first began riding I used to head into Wellington and ride round the bays and back again, starting from Shelley Bay. Nice corners, a few short straights - I would do it for hours on end and I still have very fond memories of those summer days!

I'd stop at the Chocolate Fish in Scorching Bay when I was thirsty, then head off again. I was probably travelling at quite low speeds, but as the road is fairly quiet during the week, I didn't hold up the traffic and I really enjoyed all those corners.

Another favourite ride was from Lower Hutt up to Simply Balmy cafe at Foxton Beach - or even just to Paraparaumu and back again. I had a friend take me up and down Ngauranga Gorge a few times too, as that did intimidate me at first! Another friend volunteered to take me over the Rimutakas one week day too - and I did find it helped having someone who wanted to help me improve my skills along for the ride.

Practice certainly does help, whether it's a particular skill like braking and cornering, or a particular road - the more you do it, the more confident you will feel in your ability to put it all into practice when needed.

justsomeguy
14th July 2005, 11:10
All awesome points Frosty - How is that adopt a newbie KB sceme coming along?? That would help newbies practice under the supervision of a better rider and learn better techniques wont it??

Two areas I conciously know I need to work on are my lines through corners and building more confidence through right hand turns - especially at higher speeds.

Oakie
14th July 2005, 11:26
Before I got my first bike I 'learnt' about how to ride from a book as I didn't know any other bikers. It prepared me quite well but it's time spent on the seat that counts. I still remember 3 things from that book (which is not to say I agree with them). In no particular order:
'Don't do wheelies because they put unintended strain on the bike' (This was 27 years ago and that book was probably a few years old then)
'First gear is just to get you moving ... don't ride in first'
'Beware of a thing called 'the tiger'. It's a situation where the vibrations of the bike match the rider giving a sense of euphoria which can lead to recklessness'. (For me that's probably the buzz I get powering through a smooth sweeper starting at about 6200 rpm and coming out the other side at about 8000rpm)

But you do most of your learning on the road and you never stop learning. In fact it's only this week that I finally figured out after two years of biking in Christchurch why I haven't been able to negotiate roundabouts well. (I've been taking too tight a line around them).

Keep on riding ... keep on learing.

Flyingpony
14th July 2005, 12:16
But you do most of your learning on the road and you never stop learning. In fact it's only this week that I finally figured out after two years of biking in Christchurch why I haven't been able to negotiate roundabouts well. (I've been taking too tight a line around them).

Keep on riding ... keep on learing.

I've figured out roundabouts. Keep a constant speed, enter wide, go in tight and exit hard up on the left. Just watchout for manhole's, they do exist in roundabouts right on the ideal path.

Need more practice braking in the wet. Don't like fishtail effects. Horrible when engine stalls suddenly from 7000rpm in 0.15 seconds. Hear it going but even with fingers on clutch leaver, it stops quicker than I can disengage it. There goes the poor mans ABS brakes. Engine is good for helping prevent rear wheel lockups so the clutch remains engaged for as long as possible.

It's corners that are now my weakness. Was getting quite good at them until 6 months back when I got a massive rattle and fright one night and I've since then lost the rhythm.
Nearly hit a 3yr old on a bicycle when they suddenly raced off the footpath into my path just before entering the corner wide. I know it wasn't my fault and I know I couldn't have seen them any earlier because of the tall fence. Wasn't speeding or going fast, actually was travelling the same when I cruise around it in my car. Dropped the anchors as they say and stopped in time. Would have been different story if I was 10km faster or 5 seconds earlier. Still recall the expression in his bright blue eyes when he finally spotted me. For those who want to know, I was doing about 20-25km/hr. With my limited riding ability, that corner can be taken at 40 and by pro's much faster.

FROSTY
14th July 2005, 22:01
yea MOTU has it nailed--a perfecct example of how to deal with stuff has to be HRUMPH mutter mutter KK --the little shit hates wet weather racing but hes got out there and he's practicing it so hes good at it.

Str8 Jacket
15th July 2005, 14:25
Practice makes Permanent, not necessarily perfect.

Would anyone in wellington is interested in a carpark session one weekend?
I could see if I can arrange something...

Definately, that would be awesome!! - anything to stop people from profering their advice @ traffic lights, when im trying to concentrate on what im doing!!!

FROSTY
16th July 2005, 19:10
well i LEARNED A SHIT LOAD ABOUT FAST RIDING TODAY.
The ol XJ still has a couple of tricks inn her and fuck mI love cbr600's

TwoSeven
16th July 2005, 19:15
How are you on the really really slow pretty much stopped no feet down riding :)

FROSTY
16th July 2005, 19:39
How are you on the really really slow pretty much stopped no feet down riding :)
Do people actually ride that slow???
seriously though thats something ya gotta practice -riding your bike at walking pace or slower . It tests balance.clutch control -throtle feel -and brake control - I must say in some KBers defence that some bikes are very highly geared so slow riding is very very hard on the clutch for them

Flyingpony
16th July 2005, 21:07
Do people actually ride that slow???
seriously though thats something ya gotta practice -riding your bike at walking pace or slower . It tests balance.clutch control -throtle feel -and brake control - I must say in some KBers defence that some bikes are very highly geared so slow riding is very very hard on the clutch for them
Yes I do ride that slow and do feel sorry for the bigger bikes because their gearing is so much taller
i.e. I'm in third and they're still in first.

Low gearing does come in very handy for filtering between cars. In stop go traffic jams, my aim is not to stop.
Drives cars behind me wild because they can't idle happily along at 5km/hr.

Where abouts in NZ are you now?
From posts here and there, sounds like you're on an interisland experience and having a ball of a time.

Ixion
17th July 2005, 00:32
Yes I do ride that slow and do feel sorry for the bigger bikes because their gearing is so much taller
i.e. I'm in third and they're still in first.

Low gearing does come in very handy for filtering between cars. In stop go traffic jams, my aim is not to stop.
Drives cars behind me wild because they can't idle happily along at 5km/hr.

Where abouts in NZ are you now?
From posts here and there, sounds like you're on an interisland experience and having a ball of a time.

Yeah I ride that slow. Li'l Ratty can trickle alomg in first at very low speed, with the throttle completely closed - ie just idling, and the clutch fully engaged. When traffic ahead moves on a car length or two , as it does, I don't accelerate, just keep trickling until I catch them up, or choose to filter between the lanes. So I'm just constantly riding at the same pace. Whale can do it too, but it's a bit hard getting it started, and steering is harder.

How's Baby Biker enjoying the trip?

Motu
17th July 2005, 11:16
I find sports bikes very difficult to control at low speeds,I wobble along with both feet sticking out like I have 35 hours of experiance,not 35 years,I find I will build a gap then quickly get up to a speed that's stable,then stop quickly,avoiding the wobbly stage altogether.I know I'm not skilled at riding these things - but on my own bikes I can stop feet up for several seconds at stop signs and do full lock figure 8 turns picking my nose....and riding a trials bike everything I do is below walking pace.I have difficulty comprehending why learners so desperatly need to have a sports bike.....and then look like complete learners trying to ride it!

TwoSeven
17th July 2005, 12:26
I find sports bikes very difficult to control at low speeds,I wobble along with both feet sticking out like I have 35 hours of experiance,not 35 years

I might suggest you lift your chin up so that its pointing at the distant horizon so that the underside of your jaw is parallel with the ground - might feel like you are looking at the sky for a bit til you get used to it.

Motu
17th July 2005, 12:47
Does that go with a stiff upper lip too?

TwoSeven
17th July 2005, 13:51
Nope - but think black adder carrying the slug on your lip and your balance will improve :)

Motu
17th July 2005, 14:09
How's this?,OK,so I got my eyes shut,but I was riding under disqualification,so maybe it was a case of if I can't see them,they can't see me.

TwoSeven
17th July 2005, 17:33
Now you dont get decent clipons like that nowadays. :)

Mr Skid
17th July 2005, 17:45
I have difficulty comprehending why learners so desperatly need to have a sports bike.....and then look like complete learners trying to ride it!Don't know about others, but mine was a mistaken belief that the the extra power of a 'sports' 250 would make it an easier bike to ride.

I've come to realise that it's not the power that makes it easy, rather the way it's delivered. As it stands I've lost 5hp (45hp>40hp) with the move from CBR to XT, but there's no way I'd go back.

Zapf
28th July 2005, 00:30
All awesome points Frosty - How is that adopt a newbie KB sceme coming along?? That would help newbies practice under the supervision of a better rider and learn better techniques wont it??

Two areas I conciously know I need to work on are my lines through corners and building more confidence through right hand turns - especially at higher speeds.

as a suggestion... perhaps you can refrain from charging ahead and ride slower and smoother? e.g following someone else who might have a smoother line that you want to learn. :Punk:

justsomeguy
28th July 2005, 00:34
as a suggestion... perhaps you can refrain from charging ahead and ride slower and smoother? e.g following someone else who might have a smoother line that you want to learn. :Punk:

Damn - busted :whistle:

Sure - let me find a job, get some petrol money and then lets go somewhere.....

I've got a new rear tyre to scrub in too......

Must keep the :devil2: at bay and refrain from charging ahead.....:wait:

justsomeguy
28th July 2005, 00:36
By the way my lines are a lot smoother when I ride slower and I can pretty much choose what line I take..... however sometimes the :devil2: is too strong and I have to have the throttle fully open...... that when my riding goes from :wait: to :puke:

Zapf
28th July 2005, 00:56
By the way my lines are a lot smoother when I ride slower and I can pretty much choose what line I take..... however sometimes the :devil2: is too strong and I have to have the throttle fully open...... that when my riding goes from :wait: to :puke:

yes... when I was firing up ur :devil2: at the coro loop... ur lines went from ok to bad and bad to worse.... so I thought enough cooking for the day before it boils over...

Zapf
28th July 2005, 00:58
Don't know about others, but mine was a mistaken belief that the the extra power of a 'sports' 250 would make it an easier bike to ride.

I've come to realise that it's not the power that makes it easy, rather the way it's delivered. As it stands I've lost 5hp (45hp>40hp) with the move from CBR to XT, but there's no way I'd go back.

exactly... hence I got my gixxer to deliver the road faster to me than before.

justsomeguy
28th July 2005, 00:59
exactly... hence I got my gixxer to deliver the road faster to me than before.

The SV too slow or something?? Semi-serious question.....:wait:

justsomeguy
28th July 2005, 01:02
yes... when I was firing up ur :devil2: at the coro loop... ur lines went from ok to bad and bad to worse.... so I thought enough cooking for the day before it boils over...

Because I'm such a newbie - or maybe just a slow learner..... as I tend to go faster and faster.... I tend to concentrate on fewer things.....so I may forget proper lines or forget to countersteer and foolishly compensate by using more body positioning, or brake too early or too late, ........

Just got to get more time out on the road and yes as you say ride slower.....