PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get stopped at the bottom of Ngauranga Gorge this morning? (12 October)

Dodgy
12th October 2011, 07:53
Two police motorcyclists appeared to be pulling over bikes. I saw one well behaved lane splitter go past and not receive any attention but a few minutes later a Harley was pulled over - perhaps that had been lane splitting more aggressively.

Dodgy_Matt
12th October 2011, 08:04
What time this morning?

Dodgy
12th October 2011, 08:16
Oh, I went past around 8:10

pzkpfw
12th October 2011, 08:16
Last week (or the week before that?) saw a guy side-swipe the front left guard of a car with the back of his bike, down the bottom there.

(He appeared uninjured (didn't fall off and was calmly parking in the shoulder as the bike ahead of me, and I, passed). He had made the mistake of not realising the big gap to his left might make the car on his right want to change lanes (it happens a lot there: cars go down the gorge in the right-most lane, then at the bottom decide they'd like to be in the left lane before they get to the merging bit - it's a place to be extra careful), and he wasn't prepared for it to move. He seemed to just keep going, and eventually slid along the car - when he should have cut left himself into the big gap (if he couldn't just stop); maybe even going all the way into the shoulder if he had to. He was splitting without his right indicator on, so was not doing it legally (according to the technicality that makes it sort-of legal).)

Anyway, I did wonder if we'd see a "crack-down" in the next week or two.

Luckily for me my commuting days may soon be over.

Chillidog
12th October 2011, 09:04
Yep, I saw a guy (blue bike) stood there with the 2 cops and their bikes, around 8. Also a biker (silver/grey) a few mins. before pulled up by a cop (in car) on the northbound between Tawa and Porirua, and yet another cop car further along, tucked away and hidden/waiting at the usual Tawa spot on the n/bound. So, 4 cops this morning , 3 of them dealing to bikers...

Cynic
12th October 2011, 17:47
Looked to me like they were pulling people for using the shoulder rather than filtering between the lanes. Second guy looked me in the eye as I filtered between the lanes and didn't bat an eyelid....

blackdog
12th October 2011, 17:54
Looked to me like they were pulling people for using the shoulder rather than filtering between the lanes. Second guy looked me in the eye as I filtered between the lanes and didn't bat an eyelid....

Good job if that was the case. The cynic in me when I opened this thread thought that it was just a good rego ticketing opp.

GrayWolf
13th October 2011, 21:34
If they were really serious about a lane splitting crackdown? I think they'd be targetting the Hutt Motorway, business would be 'brisk' many mornings if they were pulling agressive lane splitters.