PDA

View Full Version : Firefox issues

Virago
12th October 2011, 19:03
A few days ago my PC crashed and rebooted itself. It's done it a few times, time to upgrade me thinks.

Anyway, this time it seemed to lose internet (Firefox) data - all history was wiped, and I've just realised that whole (large) folders of bookmarks have disappeared - about half of the bookmarks we had saved.

Not a problem, I thought, I've got the laptop on wireless, which has the Firefox data auto-matched to the the PC. Turned it on, opened Firefox, and clicked on Bookmarks. Sure enough, the folders were there. But, as I watched, the folders disappeared - the laptop matched its Firefox data to the PC. Fuck it...

Is there any way to retrieve the bookmark folders from here? Years worth of saved websites - all gone. :angry:

steve_t
12th October 2011, 19:05
Can't help you, sorry, but yeah, FF 7.0.1 is really unstable :crybaby:

Time to switch to Chrome?

mashman
12th October 2011, 19:14
FF 7.01 keeps crapping out when it launches a plugin... will probably go chrome... in fact right now!

HenryDorsetCase
12th October 2011, 19:16
that might be why my fn downloads keep crashing...

mashman
12th October 2011, 19:23
Done... HDC, have a look in task manager and check the amount of memory being used by FF, tis feckin rediculous compared to Chrome, which I've just installed, imported bookmarks and am seemingly exceptionally happy with after 3 mins of use :).

Virago. Try installing Chrome and see if it will import the bookmarks from your other browser, they may still be there. I got bookmark folders et al.

Hitcher
12th October 2011, 19:38
The time has come for you to move to the delights of Chrome. Firefox has largely become Chrome in drag anyway, apart from the reliability issues.

blackdog
12th October 2011, 19:45
+1 as Hitcher says. Issues were becoming more frequent with FF recently so all our machines are now using chrome. Bliss so far...

Hitcher
12th October 2011, 19:53
Read this. http://on.msnbc.com/pWBYEq

There are many similar reviews that say the same things about Chrome's usability and speed. Don't forget to get Adblock Plus at the Chrome App Store.

steve_t
12th October 2011, 20:11
I got sick of the hanging so downloaded Mozilla Firefox 10.0a1 (beta) named 'Nightly' and HOLY CRAP it is lightning fast!! We'll see if there are any hanging or crashing issues but apart from being a bajillion times faster, it looks the same :woohoo:

Grasshopperus
12th October 2011, 20:34
Historically FF has had the best add-ons; Noscript, adblockplus, flashblock and downloadhelper.

Some of those are available in watered-down versions for Chrome but they're not all in the best corporate interests of google.

The way firefox is releasing nowadays; 6-weekly major version revisions is damn annoying and it's hurting the users, I can't blame people for moving away.

hayd3n
12th October 2011, 20:39
fark when did this happen?
i had a link to all the parts numbers on my bike microfeiches and how 2's etc etc

steve_t
12th October 2011, 20:43
fark when did this happen?
i had a link to all the parts numbers on my bike microfeiches and how 2's etc etc

What's microfiche?

Hitcher
12th October 2011, 20:43
Bait you use to attract megafiches.

Virago
12th October 2011, 21:05
Doh - figured it out myself:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Backing%20up%20and%20restoring%20bookmarks

Got my bookmarks back - now to look at Chrome...

mashman
12th October 2011, 21:16
I got sick of the hanging so downloaded Mozilla Firefox 10.0a1 (beta) named 'Nightly' and HOLY CRAP it is lightning fast!! We'll see if there are any hanging or crashing issues but apart from being a bajillion times faster, it looks the same :woohoo:

tis pretty quick and no where near as memory hungry... although I still reckon chrome has the edge... mainly because they open a new "process" per tab and that would seem a more efficient way to manage a tab without affecting performance. Then again FF may handle that quite nicely, I just don't fancy killing the FF process if only 1 page is "jammed". But she be quick alrighty.

Gremlin
13th October 2011, 03:01
Never really liked Chrome, and as someone said, Firefox has some brilliant add-ons.

Only seems to get unstable when running past 1GB of memory, but closing it down and restarting the browser every week or two seems to fix it (I retain windows between restarting Firefox). No problems in 7.0.1 either.

jonbuoy
13th October 2011, 05:27
I got hacked off with constant firefox updates, using chrome for a while sync all my bookmarks on multiple computers with gmail tie in, probably the best browser i've used for printing websites, can print straight to pdf file as well.

slofox
13th October 2011, 08:08
Dumped Firefox off the work computer a couple of weeks ago, Using Chrome instead which is working just fine.

Still have FF on the home puter but have no problems with it. Perhaps because the work puter is loaded with tonnes of stuff whereas the home one has mostly space. Who knows?

Ronin
13th October 2011, 08:59
Dumped Firefox off the work computer a couple of weeks ago, Using Chrome instead which is working just fine.

Still have FF on the home puter but have no problems with it. Perhaps because the work puter is loaded with tonnes of stuff whereas the home one has mostly space. Who knows?

Not one customer that I have changed to using chrome from FF has complained and most of them notice faster browsing. OTOH, Google knows all...

imdying
13th October 2011, 16:13
I've abandoned Firefox for Chrome more and more. Firefox is slow and always bitching about something. Chrome has AdBlockPlus, so I'm gone. Ask me again in a month though :lol: