PDA

View Full Version : Exhausted...

Paul in NZ
18th October 2011, 07:29
Muffler rebuild.....

I have a dinged up set of original mufflers on my old Guzzi. They are completely gutted (ie the guts just plain fell out of them) which are probably too loud.

I also have a set of very low km originals off the bike with only 9,000km on em and pretty well pristine. They are ridiculously quiet and choke the poor old thing to a standstill. They are also unobtainable so I dont want to drill holes in them.

I want something quieter than what I have yet louder than stock.

Options are to

1. Drill the good ones end cap?

2. Put something else on?

3. Repair the dinged ones (cut the ends off, knock out the worst dents and make some new guts)?

I'd prefer #3 - anyone in wellington known for taking pity on wretched old motorbikes and their afflicted keepers?

The Lone Rider
18th October 2011, 19:31
Put a photo up of sides and back and I'll tell you the way to go.

Paul in NZ
19th October 2011, 11:04
Put a photo up of sides and back and I'll tell you the way to go.

Will try to do that asap.

Basically this is what they look like. The muffler body is just a tube. There is a cut away / indent for the rear axle and shock mounts inside. I was going to cut away the end cap and where it joins the megaphone part. Knock out the dents and put a tube up the middle wrapped with glass matting.

Moooools
19th October 2011, 17:37
Take it to cycleworks.

scumdog
19th October 2011, 18:25
Will try to do that asap.

Basically this is what they look like. The muffler body is just a tube. There is a cut away / indent for the rear axle and shock mounts inside. I was going to cut away the end cap and where it joins the megaphone part. Knock out the dents and put a tube up the middle wrapped with glass matting.

Just do as you plan - put on a removable cap.

If you must put in some packing DON'T put in a rolled up length of white-bait netting - it will quieten things but it won't last.

DAMHIK.

Sable
19th October 2011, 22:09
Cycleworks. Derp.

Paul in NZ
20th October 2011, 07:12
Yup - talked to CW and if I have a sudden dose of the cant be arsed doing it myselfs I will make the trek over the mountain when the road opens... Bloody old motorbikes.... Bah!

HenryDorsetCase
20th October 2011, 08:17
Just do as you plan - put on a removable cap.

If you must put in some packing DON'T put in a rolled up length of white-bait netting - it will quieten things but it won't last.

DAMHIK.

for $24.95 you can buy a "muffler repack" kit from your local dirtbike shop. It appears to be basically a chunk of longstrand glassfibre matting, but in terms of quick and simple and easy to DIY, it was excellent. It also comes in "four stroke" and "Two stroke" flavours.

Moooools
20th October 2011, 19:40
Cycleworks. Derp.

Meaning? +10char