PDA

View Full Version : Back Protectors

placidfemme
15th July 2005, 08:27
Hey all...

I was looking on TradeMe just browsing through the bike section... and came across a back protector... Also last night I watched the movie "Faster" (Awesome movie!) and they also mention back protectors...

I don't wear one, but I was wondering what peoples opinions are regarding them?

Are they that good? Do they really help? Are they worth it?

Do you wear one? Why? Why not?

I'm thinking about buying one... so whats the info on them?

Thanks

PF

zadok
15th July 2005, 08:38
They sound like a good idea and any racer would have one.
My jacket has a bit of armour (including back), but on my jacket, is fairly light.

enigma51
15th July 2005, 08:53
They help with keeping you warm in the winter!!!!!! And when you have a incident they do absorb most of the pain factor... if you know what I mean

XTC
15th July 2005, 08:55
I only used mine when I was racing as they are a MNZ requirement. Never bothered on the road.

bugjuice
15th July 2005, 09:03
I always wear mine. And my jacket even has a soft one built in too.
As far as I'm concerned, you can never have enough protection.
And should the worst happen, I'd rather be sliding and steering myself on my back than my front (if I can), so the more cushioning I have, the better.
Wouldn't be without it, and recommend it. For the cheapness of them, it's worth your spine. I see racers use the same one I have, and I bought mine for $70 from TradeMe

awd
15th July 2005, 09:25
I'm with Bugjuice on this one, always wear mine, can't have too much protection ever. Mine has the added advantage of keeping my gut in check! :rofl:

Devil
15th July 2005, 09:28
I bought a Knox KC2000 over the net. Cost me about $200 I think.
Reason I went for that one is it protects the kidneys and comes up the shoulders a fair way.

This is pretty much the same as mine (theres a couple of models of the KC2000). This guy has the shoulder straps hanging down the back though.
http://www.lasplash.com/artman/uploads/knox01x.jpg

placidfemme
15th July 2005, 09:31
Yeah my R-Jays Jacket has a foam back protector thingy... but that would just act like a cushion to lighten the blow but I doubt it would help much if my back started to bend in a way it shouldn't...

The guy on TradeMe selling the back protectors I was look at this morning, was asking $99 for them brand new... would you say thats a good buy?

*has another question but will ask in another thread*

:)

XTC
15th July 2005, 09:34
The best ones have the plastic bits that interlock to help prevent hyperextension (or sumfin). Some of the cheaper ones don't do this.

Devil
15th July 2005, 09:36
Yeah my R-Jays Jacket has a foam back protector thingy... but that would just act like a cushion to lighten the blow but I doubt it would help much if my back started to bend in a way it shouldn't...

The guy on TradeMe selling the back protectors I was look at this morning, was asking $99 for them brand new... would you say thats a good buy?

*has another question but will ask in another thread*

:)
PM wildcat_lgf (look up the spelling onthe members list) and see if he has any back protectors left from the last leathers order. Tried one of those myself, good quality, was either $95 or $99.

Devil
15th July 2005, 09:38
The best ones have the plastic bits that interlock to help prevent hyperextension (or sumfin). Some of the cheaper ones don't do this.
I wouldn't put too much money on that. I fear that a large part of that is marketing bumf. In principle its good, but theres only so much they can do...

Sparky Bills
15th July 2005, 09:40
Either Teknic or Spool back protectors start from around $100,
I have a Clover back protector. Bloody good!
Hardly know its there, Good Kidney support too

Lou Girardin
15th July 2005, 10:02
They are a good idea, but I rely on the one in my jacket. Although it is a very good design, not just a lump of foam.

placidfemme
15th July 2005, 10:10
PM wildcat_lgf (look up the spelling onthe members list) and see if he has any back protectors left from the last leathers order. Tried one of those myself, good quality, was either $95 or $99.

Yeah he's the one selling the one on TradeMe that I'm talking about... lol I asked him if there was a KB special lol

FROSTY
16th July 2005, 19:34
PF--dont even hesitate --I wear my back protector whenever I ride.
I feel naked without it.
The BS about ouhh I dont ride fast enough to need one is a copout
I crashed bucket racing andf got hit by another bike -50km/h max-
The dianese back protector absorbed the impact and saved me from a certain broken back.
Again I crashed on Piecock hill --ask the wictness just how hard I hit that 150mm square post with my back -I walked away from that one.
It is prety important to get one that fits ya well--whats comfortable to one person isnt to another -I prefer the vertibrate type

Biff
16th July 2005, 19:50
Several years ago (Ms Biff has just reminded me that it was 'ages' ago - showing my age) I was on a group ride when my mate, who was riding in front of me, lost control of his bike mid corner. His back took the brunt of the impact with a lamp post. He no longer has any bodily control from his chest down. Now I’m not saying that a back protector would have prevented him from being paralysed, but ya never know.

I own one, and I wear it most of the time. But I really should get into the habit of wearing it all the time.

Uncle B
16th July 2005, 20:00
I'm definately going to get one......After seeing the effects of SC's accident I'm going for as much protection as I can get.

I shudder everytime I see those idiots in summer wearing T-shirts, no gloves and tennis shoes. :weird:

Brett
16th July 2005, 20:37
Didn't you know that Tshirts are more durable than leather???

I am going to buy one as soon as I have bought my boots. I too am of the mind that you can never have enough protection.

sAsLEX
16th July 2005, 20:44
I got this one from Spidi

cost a fair penny but i liked the design

Zapf
16th July 2005, 22:59
I would suggest one of these, I have the previous model that doesn't have the chest protection.... will be upgrading soon.

Dainese back (http://www.dainese.be/en/moto/protectors/images/small/gilet_wave2_001_black_b.jpg)

Dainese front (http://www.dainese.be/en/moto/protectors/images/small/gilet_wave2_001_black_fr.jpg)

What I like about it is that you can wear it under any armored jackets or leathers.

laRIKin
17th July 2005, 13:09
Several years ago (Ms Biff has just reminded me that it was 'ages' ago - showing my age) I was on a group ride when my mate, who was riding in front of me, lost control of his bike mid corner. His back took the brunt of the impact with a lamp post. He no longer has any bodily control from his chest down. Now I’m not saying that a back protector would have prevented him from being paralysed, but ya never know.

I own one, and I wear it most of the time. But I really should get into the habit of wearing it all the time.

Isn't amazing how the mind blocks these things out.
After all the years I have raced and have ridden bikes.
I would hate to think of all the trips to the hospital I have done.
None lately, thank god. (well none to do with bikes anyway)
And I am not going to mention the other place for the final good bye.
Well I have had to do one or two of those lately. (F.I)

Keep safe and rubber side DOWN
Lemans

PS: Forgot to add I use a back protector when I ride off road and on the
track.(tar)
But not on the road but should as I know that it saved one off my mates
when he was doing the Port Hill race track thing.
And hit a post back first after losing control.

Skyryder
23rd August 2005, 19:49
Use mine most of the time.
When the wifes on th epillion she wears it. Should get one for both of us.

Skyryder

Bartman10
23rd August 2005, 20:32
When I had my little incident on the paikok hill I wasn't wearing one. I whish I had been as it would have saved a massive amount of brusing and pain. My whole back was black and blue and I had 5 broken ribs. I'm not saying it would have stoped all the damage but I'm convinced it would have helped.

Now I never go for a ride without my back protector. I also wear it skiing and mountain biking.

I'd consider a back protector almost as important as a helmet. People don't apprieciate protective grear until they've had a major, speaking from experience. My 2cents anyway...

FROSTY
24th August 2005, 01:12
Bartman --both of us crashed -same hill--me with full race gear--including my vertabrate boots --I walked away all but scott free-not counting an old injury being tweaked. Im in total agreement--wear the best ya can get
-fuck so says the fuckwit that let a pillion on his bike with friggin sneakers on --sheesh

tracyprier
24th August 2005, 09:15
Hmmm....

While I always wear Spidi armoured jacket/pants, boots & Teknic gloves I hadn't really thought much about a back protector... more for racing was how I viewed them.

Well guess who's going to go out and buy himself and the wife a back protector this weekend?????

Ain't the internet a great thing??? Getting to share the experiences and wisdom of other bikers (in this case) while drinking coffee at work :)

Cheers
Tracy

P.S. I agree that the DVD "Faster" is very much worth a watch...interesting insights into MotoGP.

scuffy
24th August 2005, 09:56
I agree with Frosty and get one that fits you well and is comfortable

Ive got 2,a Knox kc 200...i think thats the number ..its the racing version anyways and has a longer spine protector to cover the cocyx (sp?),It fits fine and is comfortable when im racing or out on a trackday but is too restrictive and uncomfortable for the road.For the road i use a Dianese bap which is one of the vertibrate type and quite a bit smaller than the Knox one which makes it loads more comfortable.

Hopefully i'll never get to test how effective they are :eek5:

Damon
24th August 2005, 17:13

My Cousin took the same trip, his bike let go heading around a corner and he hit a power pole at 120+, squashed his liver like a tomato and he almost lost both kidneys, he was ok in the end, after a couple of surgeries and a bit of time in intensive care, but he wont ride with out one now, it's better to be safe than sorry.

gromit
13th September 2005, 10:45
I also have the afore mentioned RJays jacket with it inbuilt, but it really is just a lump of foam with some tough material covering. Nothing solid in there. I do wonder how practical it would be if I wore a solid seperate component as well... Hunchback of Notre Dame? Its a very good jacket in all other respects. Anyone else do both?

steved
15th September 2005, 17:10
On country rides and the track day I have done, I wore a back-protector underneath my RJays jacket. Looks a bit hunchy, but removal of the foam in the jacket would almost certainly not reduce the effectiveness of the protector. Secondly, who cares about looks?

NordieBoy
15th September 2005, 19:19
I mainly use my Dainese Gilet Space (http://www.autocraze.com/dainese/giletspace.htm).

Or the back protector I unzip from my Biko mesh armour suit thingy.

Gremlin
15th September 2005, 19:27
I mainly use my Dainese Gilet Space (http://www.autocraze.com/dainese/giletspace.htm).

Or the back protector I unzip from my Biko mesh armour suit thingy.
Where did you get it, how much etc. ??

Right Charlie
15th September 2005, 20:40
I wear mine any time other than Commuting.

Sure my Jacket has the triangle of foam to lighten an impact on my upper back, but thats all it would do.

An important thing to check is that your back protected doesnt affect the momvment of your head helmet, apparently a neck injury is likly to be lest severe if your neck is alloud to flex naturaly and not around somthing...

ANyway, mine is a Spool one, $130 (on the shelf...)worth, doesnt look like it will stop hyperextention of the back, but the strapping certainly supports your back some what.

Ive come close to breaking my back while crashing from a mountain bike, speed about 70kph, I think of the near off moments iva had much much faster than that on a motorbike, ill take all the protection i can afford!

NordieBoy
16th September 2005, 08:42
Where did you get it, how much etc. ??
Off TradeMe for about $120.

It's up to $250US in some places :D:D

Gremlin
16th September 2005, 18:13
Off TradeMe for about $120.

It's up to $250US in some places :D:D
:mad: :angry2: :brick: :crybaby:

dead end... by the way, what category was it under?? Like Quasi put that upper body armour under bicycling... and if I'm searching in motorbikes, it ain't gonna come up...

NordieBoy
16th September 2005, 21:10
I think it was in the motorbike section, that's all I search in anyway.

speights_bud
16th September 2005, 22:03
I want one, a good cheap one, i've stretched my $0 budget a bit too far at the moment though.:doh: