PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new tank?

Beak
22nd October 2011, 22:19
Hey KB

I've just recently bought an '89 Suzuki GSX-R250, and one of the main problems I've been having with it is that it has a relatively small 12L fuel tank, which gets me around 160-180km before I hit reserve, which I don't think is really enough to do fairly large trips on.

I'd like to take it around the South Island (mostly between Nelson and Greymouth) and while I think it might be easy enough to bring a couple of bottles of fuel in a backpack and just fill up whenever I get to a station, I was wondering how difficult it would be to install a larger tank? Are there any problems with doing such a job, so long as it fits under the tank cover? How hard and costly is it to get a larger tank (I was thinking around 18L if it fits) that's compatible with my bike?

Cheers

Geoff

jazfender
22nd October 2011, 23:48
Based on the age of your bike I think you're looking at more trouble and cost than it's worth.

I used to ride the '88 GSXR250R and had similar worries but generally found that my ass and shoulders complained before the fuel gauge due to the riding position.

You might be different but stopping that often was no biggie so long as there's a station around.

DrunkenMistake
23rd October 2011, 00:09
Hey KB

I've just recently bought an '89 Suzuki GSX-R250, and one of the main problems I've been having with it is that it has a relatively small 12L fuel tank, which gets me around 160-180km before I hit reserve, which I don't think is really enough to do fairly large trips on.

I'd like to take it around the South Island (mostly between Nelson and Greymouth) and while I think it might be easy enough to bring a couple of bottles of fuel in a backpack and just fill up whenever I get to a station, I was wondering how difficult it would be to install a larger tank? Are there any problems with doing such a job, so long as it fits under the tank cover? How hard and costly is it to get a larger tank (I was thinking around 18L if it fits) that's compatible with my bike?

Cheers

Geoff

Dude there is almost a petrol station every 100km on SH1 along the east coast of the S.I you'll be sweet are you getting 180km from open road riding? or just your commute?

jazfender
23rd October 2011, 11:30
Dude there is almost a petrol station every 100km on SH1 along the east coast of the S.I you'll be sweet are you getting 180km from open road riding? or just your commute?

Nelson and Greymouth = west coast.

AllanB
23rd October 2011, 11:36
Don't carry spare fuel in a back back. If you have to strap a can to a pack rack or similar.

Fill up at Murchison - next stop after the Buller? I'd think you will be fine km wise.

FJRider
23rd October 2011, 11:38
On longer distance trips ... you will find your fuel economy will improve, as you spend more time in the higher gears ... "touring mode" not "racing mode" ...

tigertim20
23rd October 2011, 12:07
Hey KB

Cheers

Geoff
your best chances of a good fit is to look at the specs for the slightly newer versions of your bike, then do a bit of research as to whether one has a larger capacity and is a straight fitment. it MIGHT come to pass that you can get a second hand tank for $50 and chuck it straight on.
That said on the open road youll get better milage.
If you are worried about it, get a pack rack to suit your bike, and take a 5litre petrol container strapped to the pack rack and youll be sweet.

wrong coast!! - hey when we did the big trip, how many km were you getting on the cbr on the open road, vs a normal commute, could be a good comparison, this guy has the same year, similar engine, just a different make to your old cbr.

Don't carry spare fuel in a back back. If you have to strap a can to a pack rack or similar.

Fill up at Murchison - next stop after the Buller? I'd think you will be fine km wise.

+1

Beak
23rd October 2011, 15:58
On longer distance trips ... you will find your fuel economy will improve, as you spend more time in the higher gears ... "touring mode" not "racing mode" ...

The 180km per tank is normally my daily commute... that being said, my commute is 95% on the highway at 90-110km/h or more, so it should be a fairly good representation of my open road usage. I'm fairly confident I would make the trip quite easily, it's just I really hate getting stuck places, it's gotta be up there on my list of top fears.

Is there any particular reason for not carrying fuel in a screwtop bottle in a bag? Or is it just really uncomfortable like I can imagine it being lol... I'll be taking things like my laptop and clothes/food etc in my bag so I'm not too worried about a little extra weight.

I got pulled for speeding this morning :facepalm: at 133km/h (late for work at 6am, next to no cars around so thought I'd boost... lesson learned?), so I'm too strapped for cash to do anything at the moment, but I figure it's probably worth at least looking at.
Thanks for the advice guys.

FJRider
23rd October 2011, 16:00
Get your gas at stations ... PLAN your trip ... Done ...

DrunkenMistake
23rd October 2011, 19:23
yah my bad, I read Tour of the south Island and got a boner thinking of the epic roads,

Either way I had an 89 CBR had a 13L tank with a 2L reserve so 15 all up,
I got 124km doing a every day 17km rapist commute,
We went from Dunedin to Blenheim and im not sure I can remember my exact economy, but on the way back I went Blenheim to Christchurch without topping up and I was up 340km with about 3L left in the tank.
Once you hit highway speeds you just jam it in a higher gear - lower revs = less fuel (to my understanding, im sure its more complicated than that)
and just change down when you need to over take.

Beak
24th October 2011, 22:31
Yeah most of my riding is done in a higher gear, but I do accelerate quite hard on it. I'll just see how it goes, I'll most likely be going with a couple of mates in a car so I'll just get them to carry a tank full of gas just in case...

DrunkenMistake
24th October 2011, 23:57
Yeah most of my riding is done in a higher gear, but I do accelerate quite hard on it. I'll just see how it goes, I'll most likely be going with a couple of mates in a car so I'll just get them to carry a tank full of gas just in case...

You'll be right mate, me and TT have a mate who has a hornet 600, has a 12 L tank, I think he gets 140ish to a tank riding like a hoon

scumdog
25th October 2011, 06:02
Yeah most of my riding is done in a higher gear, but I do accelerate quite hard on it. I'll just see how it goes, ...

Don't sit there waiting for the bike to 'warm up' each time you start off, just go easy on the throttle when moving off, change up through the gears early and don't red line it for every gear-change, anticipate stops so you can just ease off the throttle instead of jamming on the brakes at the last second.

Oh, and you must be doing something wrong - the 1200 Harley Sportster my Mrs rides will get 200km from a tank that's pretty much the same capacity of yours.

DrunkenMistake
25th October 2011, 07:52
Don't sit there waiting for the bike to 'warm up' each time you start off, just go easy on the throttle when moving off, change up through the gears early and don't red line it for every gear-change, anticipate stops so you can just ease off the throttle instead of jamming on the brakes at the last second.

Oh, and you must be doing something wrong - the 1200 Harley Sportster my Mrs rides will get 200km from a tank that's pretty much the same capacity of yours.

Hahaha!
I thought redline was a shift indicator?! Oh shit.. :facepalm:

Beak
25th October 2011, 12:03

That's some crazy fuel efficiency there then... I live right next to an entrance to the motorway, so I'm accelerating often and riding fast very often, and I imagine her 1200 Harley doesn't sit on 8k rpm when cruising at 100km/h, so that might have something to do with it...

Hahaha!
I thought redline was a shift indicator?! Oh shit.. :facepalm:

I don't think I've actually redlined my bike once yet :innocent: That being said, if I'm accelerating it's always between 10k and 14k rpm...

Back on topic, does anyone know any decent sites to get OEM parts (the Suzuki sites tend to completely forget they even MADE a 250cc gixxer... :facepalm:) or decent after-market parts like a new tank?

tigertim20
25th October 2011, 13:10
That's some crazy fuel efficiency there then... I live right next to an entrance to the motorway, so I'm accelerating often and riding fast very often, and I imagine her 1200 Harley doesn't sit on 8k rpm when cruising at 100km/h, so that might have something to do with it...

I don't think I've actually redlined my bike once yet :innocent: That being said, if I'm accelerating it's always between 10k and 14k rpm...

Back on topic, does anyone know any decent sites to get OEM parts (the Suzuki sites tend to completely forget they even MADE a 250cc gixxer... :facepalm:) or decent after-market parts like a new tank?

rpm aside, youre comparing a bike with 5x the displacement. Id look at doing an oil and filter change, new plugs and a new air filter and see if that improves your economy. you might be surprised.

DrunkenMistake
25th October 2011, 13:14

You will need to see what other tanks will fit your bike, I.E an 89 CBR tank thats a 15L might fit, etc etc, but an after market tank for it will be probably impossible

Beak
25th October 2011, 13:47
You will need to see what other tanks will fit your bike, I.E an 89 CBR tank thats a 15L might fit, etc etc, but an after market tank for it will be probably impossible

Well it's worth a look anyway, I'm not gonna be doing any mods anytime soon but it's good research.

rpm aside, youre comparing a bike with 5x the displacement. Id look at doing an oil and filter change, new plugs and a new air filter and see if that improves your economy. you might be surprised.

True. When I have money (hah) I'll give it a complete tune up and sort all of that out...

DrunkenMistake
25th October 2011, 18:16
You could try the 600's tank im sure there is a Suzuki GSX forum

The Pastor
28th October 2011, 08:47
cheapest option is to buy a 5L jerry can and tie it to your bike. about $20.

If you want a new tank that will cost $500+, most likely will have to be custom made.

Painting it will cost a bit as well, $100 - 300

Or you could try modifying a tank from a different bike to fit. Not sure if this will work in reality, but it might?