PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Belts

placidfemme
15th July 2005, 09:35
Yay another random poll and question from me :)

On the ride I went on, on Sunday I ended up with what felt like a stitch for the last 10 minutes of the ride before we got to the fish n chups place... someone commented that it might be my kidneys that were hurting and not just a stitch (which kinda makes sense as I don't see how you can get a stitch by sitting on your butt throwing a bike around... but I could be wrong).

When I first started riding I called up Motomail and asked if they sold kidney belts and if they thought they were a good idea... the guy who answered the phone (Dunno who) said that kidney belts were only for dirt track riding...

Can kidney belts be used while road riding?

Are they worth it? Do they help?

What do they do?

Do you wear one? Why? Why not?

Thanks again :)

XTC
15th July 2005, 09:40
Yes you can get kidney belts for road use. Got one myself somewhere. We used to import leather ones with little pockets back in the day when I was in the trade....
Not very popular with the road set tho.

Paul in NZ
15th July 2005, 09:41
Pretty sure I have one laying about you can have a loan of if you want to try it.

I dunno how big you are in the torso but Vicki (5'.0") finds it too tall.

Cheers

Ixion
15th July 2005, 09:41
Never worn one, never thought of it. Doubt they are much needed on road riding. I've ridden 500+ km nonstop and never had anything like a stitch or kidney problems (and often 300+). Why would riding upset your kidneys? What are they supposed to do anyway, I assumed they were crash protection.

I'd suggest maybe you just got a bit cramped up from the sports bike riding position, though Auckland to Kaiuaua hardly seems long enough.

Sparky Bills
15th July 2005, 09:43
A Kidney belt belt is to support kidneys, not just dirt bike riders need em.
Get a back protector, and they have Kidney belts built in. Much more safe.
They do have lots of support when your riding, than nothing.
I even sold one to horse rider the other day.

Lou Girardin
15th July 2005, 09:57
Spidi back protectors have integral kidney belts, the Back Warrior is $279.00, other brands probably have them. Many Harley riding jackets do too, which may not appeal to everyone.

skidz
15th July 2005, 10:19
Yeah, I have always thought about getting one whenever I hit one of those dips in the road that jar the whole body leaving you sore as.

justsomeguy
15th July 2005, 10:21
So - why do need these things???

Ixion
15th July 2005, 10:22
Yeah, I have always thought about getting one whenever I hit one of those dips in the road that jar the whole body leaving you sore as.

I stand up for those and absorb it through the legs

Waylander
15th July 2005, 10:23
Really only need one for long rides. But if you pace yourself and just do rides in increasing length as you get used to it then you wont need one.

justsomeguy
15th July 2005, 10:43
Ok - but what purpose do they serve??

Are they meant to assist the abdominal muscles hold it all in or something??

MSTRS
15th July 2005, 11:09
I use one esp. when on longer rides. Sportsbike riding position + old bones + hours = sore back. Using the belt supports the back, reduces jarring and reflects body heat back in which stops everything getting stiff (ooops you know what I mean)

Waylander
15th July 2005, 12:05
Ok - but what purpose do they serve??

Are they meant to assist the abdominal muscles hold it all in or something??
Helps support your back so you don't get worn out as much.

Motu
15th July 2005, 12:22
I wore one off and on road for years,starting back in the 70s,but haven't got a kidney belt on it's own anymore....my road jacket has a built in backprotector but no kidney belt,my off road armour suit has one and I wear the armour jacket onroad in summer,I might get another kidney belt for road use again soon - after so many years of putting one on it feels kinda wrong,like not wearing a helmet....

Blackbird
15th July 2005, 12:56
I've used one for about 4 years and swear by it. I don't use it for local running about but always do for the longer rides as it makes a huge difference when you have firm suspension. The other important thing is it keeps your back and kidneys a lot warmer in the winter.

Oh, and one other thing... it actually gives my 57 year old body a narrow (ish)waist again :whistle: It hides quite nicely under a sweater. Pity I have to take it off sometime :yes:

Pwalo
15th July 2005, 12:59
Yay another random poll and question from me :)

On the ride I went on, on Sunday I ended up with what felt like a stitch for the last 10 minutes of the ride before we got to the fish n chups place... someone commented that it might be my kidneys that were hurting and not just a stitch (which kinda makes sense as I don't see how you can get a stitch by sitting on your butt throwing a bike around... but I could be wrong).

Thanks again :)

Have you made sure that you're bike is set up to suit you? Might just need to have a look at your control positions (ie clutch and brake levers, perhaps clip on angle adjustment, if possible), or adjust your suspension to your weight.

I'm sure there's a few threads relating to this on the site. Suspension set up makes a huge difference.

BTW I'm not too sure that throwing your weight around is the best way of getting the best performance out of your bike.

Ixion
15th July 2005, 13:02
Oh, and one other thing... it actually gives my 57 year old body a narrow (ish)waist again :whistle: It hides quite nicely under a sweater. Pity I have to take it off sometime :yes:

Right !. Where do I get one ! Can I get rush delivery ? Why didn't anyone say what they were used for instead of all this stuff about motorcycles and kidneys.

placidfemme
15th July 2005, 13:09
Have you made sure that you're bike is set up to suit you? Might just need to have a look at your control positions (ie clutch and brake levers, perhaps clip on angle adjustment, if possible), or adjust your suspension to your weight.

I'm sure there's a few threads relating to this on the site. Suspension set up makes a huge difference.

BTW I'm not too sure that throwing your weight around is the best way of getting the best performance out of your bike.

I don't know if my bike is set up right for me... but when I said throwing thr bike around it was just a term... in the loosest sense...

Blackbird
15th July 2005, 13:13
Right !. Where do I get one ! Can I get rush delivery ? Why didn't anyone say what they were used for instead of all this stuff about motorcycles and kidneys.

Hi Les

There aren't too many people as old as me on this site. Not many people need them for that purpose :yes:

danb
15th July 2005, 23:56
I was a little saw in the back after the ride last week. The gravel part nearer the fish n chips place did it for me.. I’m not to worried about it at this stage as after a good stretch all was good again. Not having ridden to many hours and still getting used to the bike is probably what it is with me. Once im more confident resulting not being as "stiff" it should go away I assume.

What?
16th July 2005, 05:59
I have a BMW kidney belt that is great for lower back support as well as keeping the kidneys in line. Unfortunately it has shrunk, so I haven't worn it for a while...
Bought it from Sydney about 20 years ago, but I guess they still make them.

Jantar
16th July 2005, 07:48
Like many other road riders in here I use a back protector with built in kidney belt. It definitely helps to support the back and makes long distance riding less tiring.

I normally only wear it for rides graeter than 2 hours non stop.

Jackrat
16th July 2005, 08:01
I wear one for about 75% of my riding due to a back injury.
They work well for lower back support,without it I'd have to quit riding.

XP@
16th July 2005, 15:11
Highly recommended bit of kit!

I have 3 - mostly cos i don't wear them too often only on longer rides. so i set off and realise 100km down the road it is still at home.

there are 2 types of belt, road and off road. The road ones are designed for comfort and don't have much armour. The off road ones are also designed to protect you from impact.

Riding on the road with a kidney belt you notice 2 things:
1. you are warmer, it will really keep your mid section from those little chills
2. you sit more properly ie not slouching

The result is many more hours in the saddle and less pain tomorrow.

Just one word of warning, after you stop and have a coffee don't tighten the belt too tight otherwise you will be stopping again real soon!

Jackrat
16th July 2005, 17:26
Went up to Motomail today,bought a new kidney belt, amongst other things.
Fox MX =$59.00

Vagabond
16th July 2005, 19:06
I have one but only wear it on the odd occasion, especially when the old back plays up! :ride:

FROSTY
16th July 2005, 19:28
PF--something Ive noticed with female pillions/riders is you need to keep your kidney area warm. Dunno why it is. I have a kidney belt I wear kart racing
I usually just wear my back protector -whic does double duty

Zapf
16th July 2005, 23:07
I never thought it'll be useful... that is until I rode to Wanaka from Auckland over 3 days, my back was so sore it wan't funny.... so just went to a pharmecy and whatever back support they have got.

So.... I wear it on long rides and also the sports bike position, as your back is suspending your body against the wind one way and gravity the other.

So... my vote is, yes wear one, but only on longer rides ~(200k+) never for around the city or in Auckland area.

Biff
17th July 2005, 02:22
Being a conceited, egotistical kinda fella that I am I thought I knew it all - but bloody kidney belts while riding a bike?! I need to get out more.

Sounds like a good idea - particularly if they help your riding posture.

laRIKin
17th July 2005, 13:30
I do use a old one and it more of a denim wrap on the road.
Mainly to keep my back warm and to support my lower back.

I do use a proper one when riding off road all the time.
Even though my body armour has one built in, but is not that good. (off road type, UFO)
And is know where as good as the the one I have by it's self.
So I end up wearing two, do I get extra points for wearing two?
As silly as it sounds I'm not the only one that does this.

Lemans

NordieBoy
18th July 2005, 20:48
Off road it's more protection against the jarring you get esp. from jumps.

On road it's more warmth and posture (and slimming :D)

XP@
18th July 2005, 22:20
Was yacking to a German friend at the weekend.
Evidently over in germany about 90% would be selecting "All the time" in the poll.

It's part of the initial kit over there, along with boots, gloves and helmet.

pete376403
18th July 2005, 22:39
I've got one, a no-name brand, bit of padding at the back and two wide elastic bands with velcro. It's good on long rides for all the reasons mentioned by others, and there's one other thing - when you finally get to where you're going, take it off and it feels sooo good as all the inner bits flow back to where they normally reside.

Paul in NZ
19th July 2005, 09:54
If you want to try one out.....

Go to Mitre 10 and grab one of those belts made for supporting your back while lifting stuff. They are like $10 or something. They do the business OK...

ManDownUnder
19th July 2005, 10:07
Why would riding upset your kidneys? What are they supposed to do anyway, I assumed they were crash protection.

I got "chilled kidneys" once - led to an infection and the painful experience of pissing blood every 20 minutes - for a week.... NOT pleasant.

I'm always very cautious about tucking myself in, keeping my lower back warm, and I think a kidney belt could/would help with that
MDU

Paul in NZ
19th July 2005, 10:16
I got "chilled kidneys" once - led to an infection and the painful experience of pissing blood every 20 minutes - for a week.... NOT pleasant.

I'm always very cautious about tucking myself in, keeping my lower back warm, and I think a kidney belt could/would help with that
MDU

Yes - I find that mine aided the warmth in the lower back.

skidz
19th July 2005, 10:18
I stand up for those and absorb it through the legs
I meant the ones that you don't see.

magnum
19th July 2005, 15:52
back protector has a built in kinney belt,holds my big guts in to :whistle:

Blackbird
19th July 2005, 16:09
So that's why you're always in the gym :whistle:

Geoff