PDA

View Full Version : Tiny fuel leak at fuel tap and fuel tank...

Waihou Thumper
30th October 2011, 11:02
I have a very small leak (tiny, one drip approx hour, but enough) at the junction of the fuel tap where it sits in the plastic tank. It is a large 'Just Gas Tanks' for the Husqvarna. It comes with two fuel taps, one on each side. If I crank it up a notch it just spins in the plastic thread, so do not want to strip it out.
How can I get a good seal? Is there some sort of sealant available that will not degrade with fuel vapour?
Thanks

pete-blen
30th October 2011, 11:25
Try the Orange Hermitite...
I use to seal a GM speedway motor
with it.... its good stuff...
Or have a thick platsic block welded
to the tank & re-tap the threads...
that should give a truer surface for
the tap to seat on.... as well as
new longer threads...

My Clark tank has brass inserts molded in...

hayd3n
30th October 2011, 11:32
plastic welding is your best option or you could try a bit of thread tape that may work as a temp solution

Madness
30th October 2011, 11:33
It could be as simple as a $2 roll of PTFE thread tape, wind a couple of layers on for good measure.

Waihou Thumper
30th October 2011, 12:17
It could be as simple as a $2 roll of PTFE thread tape, wind a couple of layers on for good measure.

Yep, thought of that, but I don'think it is resistant to fuel over time...

plastic welding is your best option or you could try a bit of thread tape that may work as a temp solution

Hopefully it isn't that big an issue, yet :)

Try the Orange Hermitite...
I use to seal a GM speedway motor
with it.... its good stuff...
Or have a thick platsic block welded
to the tank & re-tap the threads...
that should give a truer surface for
the tap to seat on.... as well as
new longer threads...

My Clark tank has brass inserts molded in...

The brass inserts are not there on my tank, different brand. Yep, the Clarke tank is well made for the fuel taps, had on for the Husaberg.
I have tried gasket goo, it seems to make a nice seal around the thread. I will give it a few hours to set and try the fuel. Hopefully I haven't formed a gasket inside and blocked it...:)

buggsubique
30th October 2011, 13:18
Let it drip for when you do burnouts at the end of the street on a saturday night.

ADVGD
30th October 2011, 14:11
How can I get a good seal?

The O ring is what seals the tap, not bolt torque. You should be able to nip the two bolts up a little over hand tight and it should seal perfectly, you should never have to put huge torque on tank bolts hence why some tanks are not brass inserted. I would install a new O ring, around $4 from a bike shop and then it is done right. If your threads are stripped my personal preference is to run recoils (carefully inserted as to not penetrate the tank), or secondly a strong two part epoxy glue smeared into the thread (eg Araldite is fine) then screw in a bolt that has been waxed (preferably with fiberglass mould release wax but a standard car wax will do) so that when the glue sets the bolt will back out easy and not damage the newly formed thread. Add enough wax to the bolt thread to allow easy backing out but not too much so the threads are clogged or a full thread pattern will not be cast. Epoxy threads will allow ample torque for a tank tap, again just a little nip up over hand tight, add some locktight if you are concerned, but definitely don't over-tighten or it will crack and re-strip

pete-blen
30th October 2011, 15:21
If the surface is not as true as it could/should be for the O-ring..
Most standard O-rings are durometer 90... So try a durometer 70 being slightly
softer it may conform to the surface with less tightening force...

Night Falcon
30th October 2011, 15:29
light a match under it every so often that will burn up the vapours :innocent:

Squiggles
30th October 2011, 16:09
I used some rubber (nitrile?) strip when i made the gasket to seal the stock tap to my ims tap (Oversized the hole and the oring wouldn't seal it), Can't remember where the guy said he bought it from tho :facepalm:

Waihou Thumper
30th October 2011, 16:14
I used some rubber (nitrile?) strip when i made the gasket to seal the stock tap to my ims tap (Oversized the hole and the oring wouldn't seal it), Can't remember where the guy said he bought it from tho :facepalm:

Stock tap to IMS is fine, the issue is the one that is on the left lobe, it is weeping a little. The one on the right is fine. No washers or grommets or O rings, just threaded to the face of the IMS tank...I drained the left side, took it out, put some gunk on the thread that says it resists petrol, then put it back. So far it isn't weeping. I would also say that given the temp in my garage, it may be contributing to the weep....:angry:

Waihou Thumper
30th October 2011, 16:17
Let it drip for when you do burnouts at the end of the street on a saturday night.

Burnouts? I am still a learner mate...I also NEED my tyres....:)

light a match under it every so often that will burn up the vapours :innocent:

I'll humm it son, you play it.....:) I will also have the camera handy when you do that for me.....
Make sure it is bloody cold though, that way you lessen the risk, right? :)

dino3310
30th October 2011, 17:19
dont muck around with it mate, sell it and buy a DR

Waihou Thumper
30th October 2011, 17:33
dont muck around with it mate, sell it and buy a DR

Things aren't that desperate just yet....:gob: BUT, did consider it the other day.....Thing is there is a lovely Tenere for sale on Trade me....always the same, once you get one, you find one betterer.....Hmm.

Sable
30th October 2011, 17:38
Smear Araldite all over it

Waihou Thumper
30th October 2011, 17:39
Smear Araldite all over it

Petrol proof? I considered that, but it sure is bloody sticky...:)

Sable
30th October 2011, 18:10
I know someone that lined a rusted out tank with the stuff.. it would certainly appear to be :sunny: