PDA

View Full Version : GN250 won't start. Please help

sam.la
31st October 2011, 07:26
I have come to my first crossroads with my GN250... It has been running great but when I went to start it this morning. It wouldn’t budge. I checked the killswitch and the key turn on the side, both were on.

When I have the key turned on the electrics all work ie. Lights, horn. When I press the ignition it makes the sound but nothing the motor won’t start? Is this a spark plug issue? I hold it for long periods and still nothing apart from making the starting sound. Seems kind of random because it was starting quite easily the last few days and today it just wouldn’t start...

Any help is appreciated.

MSTRS
31st October 2011, 08:31
Engines need 3 things to go...fuel, compression and spark.
Granted, they are all needed in the right quantities, and at the right time/s.
But it is real easy to check their existence (or not). Can you do that?

nzspokes
31st October 2011, 09:00
Is the stand down?

sam.la
31st October 2011, 11:05
Engines need 3 things to go...fuel, compression and spark.
Granted, they are all needed in the right quantities, and at the right time/s.
But it is real easy to check their existence (or not). Can you do that?

Fuel is right. Not sure how to check compression. Could possibly check the spark plug?

Yes the stand is down...

I asked a guy at work because I haven't used it in the last two days, he said it could have flooded?

nzspokes
31st October 2011, 11:06
Fuel is right. Not sure how to check compression. Could possibly check the spark plug?

Yes the stand is down...

I asked a guy at work because I haven't used it in the last two days, he said it could have flooded?

Lift the stand and try again.

rickstv
31st October 2011, 11:12
Lift the stand and try again.

AND make sure bike is in neutral and clutch pulled in.

there may be fuel in tank but too low, try switching over to reserve. It may take a couple of minutes to fill the float bowl.
Rick.

Paul in NZ
31st October 2011, 11:29
Make SURE the kill switch on the r/h bar is set to RUN.....

We all have done THAT at one point...

ducatilover
31st October 2011, 11:38
Put stand up.
Make sure the neutral light is on.
Pull the clutch is.
Set the fuel tap to reserve.
Pull the choke out.
Check battery connections are secure and clean.

Buy a large hammer if all else fails.

Have you got access to a multimeter or voltmeter?

The Pastor
31st October 2011, 12:41
where in Auckland are you? do you have tools at ur place? give me a PM if you want me to come have a look for you.

sam.la
31st October 2011, 18:54
I'm starting to think it's the battery. I'm trying to start it now and the starter motor is getting weaker and weaker...

Tried with stand up and everything.

Is it safe to jump start a bike battery with jumper leads to a car? I don't have a battery charger :(.

sam.la
31st October 2011, 19:44
Ok turns out the battery drained because I left the isolation switch on. Didn't know it would drain the battery.

Just jumped it and its going fine :).

Thanks for all the help! :yes:

sam.la
31st October 2011, 21:06
arrrghhhh... spoke too early. It starts fine but it seems as though the battery is not charging?

After jumping the bike I left it for about 20-30 mins in idle with lights off, then I went to go for a ride after I turned the lights on and gave it a rev the engine just died and it wouldn’t start again. This time there was no buzzing sound what so ever. So I jump started it again, starts fine so this time I decide to leave it for an hour on idle with lights off and I go back down and gave it a rev and then it died. I tried to use the ignition but still nothing?

It seems as though it’s not charging the battery? Any suggestions to what may be going wrong?

Anyone have a battery charger I can borrow :facepalm:

FJRider
31st October 2011, 21:11
How old is the battery .... ???

nzspokes
31st October 2011, 21:19
Your saying you left a air cooled motor to idle for an hour?

sam.la
31st October 2011, 21:19
The previous owner said the battery is new so I assume under a year probably 6 months max?

sam.la
31st October 2011, 21:20
Your saying you left a air cooled motor to idle for an hour?

Yes... I couldn't ride it. I just said why I couldn't ride it...

nzspokes
31st October 2011, 21:23
Yes... I couldn't ride it. I just said why I couldn't ride it...

I wouldnt do that again if I were you. Get it charged first.

FJRider
31st October 2011, 21:27
Take it for a 20 minute ride in higher rev's than usual ... idle wont charge much. Then park on TOP of a hill and try again.

Any auto-sparky will be able to test the bike and battery for charging/accepting charge.

Check fluid levels IN the battery (Is it a sealed one ... no screws to undo on top of the battery)

sam.la
31st October 2011, 21:36
Take it for a 20 minute ride in higher rev's than usual ... idle wont charge much. Then park on TOP of a hill and try again.

Any auto-sparky will be able to test the bike and battery for charging/accepting charge.

Check fluid levels IN the battery (Is it a sealed one ... no screws to undo on top of the battery)

I am so not keen to take it for a ride... I will get stranded if it stalls or dies... lol. I might go buy a battery charger tomorrow... I can tell the battery is still giving power because my Neutral LED is on when the key is in the on position.

nzspokes
31st October 2011, 21:43
Roll start it and ride up and down your road with some revs on.

Neighbours will love you to.

FJRider
31st October 2011, 21:44
... I can tell the battery is still giving power because my Neutral LED is on when the key is in the on position.

The neutral light is low amp bulb. And will fade when you hit the button. (if it IS the battery[charge] that is the problem)

Learn how to push start. It's not that hard with a GN.

sam.la
31st October 2011, 21:53
Yes the Neutral does fade when I hit the ignition... so what does that mean?

FJRider
31st October 2011, 22:08
Yes the Neutral does fade when I hit the ignition... so what does that mean?

Battery needs charging ...

A quick charge can be done with a car. Connect jumper leads to the bike from the car ... Leave bike switched off. Start the car ... idle is ok ... leave for about 20 min's ...

FJRider
31st October 2011, 22:12
Roll start it and ride up and down your road with some revs on.

Neighbours will love you to.

Remove the muffler first ... it adds to their thrill ....

sam.la
31st October 2011, 22:16
Battery needs charging ...

A quick charge can be done with a car. Connect jumper leads to the bike from the car ... Leave bike switched off. Start the car ... idle is ok ... leave for about 20 min's ...

mmm I heard it draws too many amps from a car battery? and can cause damage?

FJRider
31st October 2011, 22:19
mmm I heard it draws too many amps from a car battery? and can cause damage?

Have you checked battery levels yet ... ???

sam.la
31st October 2011, 22:20
It is a sealed one, not too sure how to open it? so I need to disconnect the terminals first?

Thanks for the help FJ. I need to go to sleep now so will resume this tomorrow. Hopefully I will have a charger tomorrow though... and all will be ok :)

FJRider
31st October 2011, 22:22
It is a sealed one, not too sure how to open it?

YOU DONT ...

Get a charger ... trickle charge is best ...

Paul in NZ
1st November 2011, 07:17
You can buy a battery charger for fuck all from supercheap - they are a handy thing to have, consider it an investment. Disconnect the bloody battery first so you will also need some kind of tool to do that as well... This is for your own good so choose to be offended or not - up to you! DO NOT leave it idling for an hour..... Its a bloody small, cheaply made commuter air cooled motorcycle that contains about 1 litre of oil, not an kitchen appliance...

The internet is awash with information about batteries - this site is awash with information about them, do a little research and learn a bit more about your bike before it kills you or costs you money.

ducatilover
1st November 2011, 16:16
Can you get hold of a volt meter or multimeter with the ability to test DC current?

The Singing Chef
1st November 2011, 16:43
Checked your fuses?

sam.la
1st November 2011, 18:26
Checked your fuses?

Yes I checked my fuse, it is fine.

I have sourced a battery charger. Am charging it now. I took the fuse out to disconnect it the circuit from the bike before charging. Funny thing is that it's gone straight to Float rather than Boast?

sam.la
2nd November 2011, 07:38
mmm Charged for just over 12 hours tried to start it, still nothing. The neutral light just dims. Good sign the battery is dead?

How much is a new battery and where is the best place to buy it from? :(

nzspokes
2nd November 2011, 07:42
Or a bad earth on the battery to the frame.

sam.la
2nd November 2011, 07:45
Will have to source a multi meter I guess.

I want to play ahead, not having a bike sucks. What model battery does a GN250 take? I just had a list of models at Cycletreads and there are too many to list...

http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/586-batteries/5135-motobatt_batteries.aspx

nzspokes
2nd November 2011, 08:08
Contact Moto one in manukau. Batterys are cheap there. Just ring him.

BASS-TREBLE
2nd November 2011, 08:11
You can get cheap batteries from repco and supercheap. Maybe around $100
Any battery supplier will have a book with car/bike models and the battery that they require.

When you do get it running, check the voltage at the battery at say 4000rpm. Once with lights on and once with lights out. It should be above 13.5V or so.
I had one years ago and the regulator/rectifier gave up, which resulted in low charging voltages, and eventually wouldn't start.

ducatilover
2nd November 2011, 13:48
Yuasa do a cheap battery, I usually paid $60 for 'em and never had a problem.

I'd be checking:
Battery voltage without trying to start it.
Battery voltage whilst trying to start it.
Cleaning the earth.
Cleaning the positive lead.
Turn ignition off, disconnect the positive lead, turn multimeter to DC current, put the negative probe on the lead and positive on the battery positive. If there's any real current draw you have a battery drain problem.

The Pastor
2nd November 2011, 16:18
Can you get hold of a volt meter or multimeter with the ability to test DC current?

I'll bring one over and have a looksee tonite :)

ducatilover
2nd November 2011, 19:00
I'll bring one over and have a looksee tonite :)
Champion, make sure you get given lots of beer.

MSTRS
3rd November 2011, 07:49
So - what was the problem?

Taz
3rd November 2011, 08:03
His bike isn't starting :lol:

sam.la
23rd November 2011, 18:46
My battery was shot. Drained to the death. Got a new battery and it was fine. Too bad there is a short in it somewhere now T_T.