PDA

View Full Version : Legal or not legal tail lights?

31st October 2011, 10:10
I am looking at getting one of those integrated tail light units for my 675 Daytona, but before I commit I would like to know if these are legal in NZ from WOF point of view (as far as indicators are concerned). Sellers assures me that they are DOT approved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFMJefZRJgM

Any help would be appreciated

White trash
31st October 2011, 10:18
I believe there's a minimum distance apart indicators need to be.

31st October 2011, 10:32
I believe there's a minimum distance apart indicators need to be.

Bugger, cause they do make the back end a wee bit tidier :crybaby:

nodrog
31st October 2011, 10:40
I believe you worry too much.

31st October 2011, 10:46
I believe you worry too much.

Well, don't want to fork out $150, waste time rewiring the friggin thing only to be told that it is illigal and not get a WOF. Other then that I agree with you

nodrog
31st October 2011, 10:49
Well, don't want to fork out $150, waste time rewiring the friggin thing only to be told that it is illigal and not get a WOF. Other then that I agree with you

The last 6 motorcycles i have owned have had intergrated tail lights, I've never had any dramas.

I think the minium distance thing that Mr Trash is taking about only applies to cars (but dont quote me on that, cos i just made it up now while Im typing this)

31st October 2011, 12:14
Just went and spoke to 2 WOF places, one of which is my local dealer that I get my WOF from. I showed them the vid and both said they would not issue WOF on this set up. Indicators too close together so from a distance of 50metres would be hard to tell the difference also at 45° or more Leds do not project that well to the side

So I guess I will spend my dosh on something else for the bike then

nodrog
31st October 2011, 12:37
Just went and spoke to 2 WOF places, one of which is my local dealer that I get my WOF from. I showed them the vid and both said they would not issue WOF on this set up. Indicators too close together so from a distance of 50metres would be hard to tell the difference also at 45° or more Leds do not project that well to the side

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/docs/mc-4-lighting-v4a2.pdf

indicators start on page 15, diagram on page 18

31st October 2011, 12:44
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/docs/mc-4-lighting-v4a2.pdf

indicators start on page 15, diagram on page 18

Makes for very interesting AND very confusing reading. Like our building laws really. :facepalm:

nodrog
31st October 2011, 12:47
Makes for very interesting AND very confusing reading. Like our building laws really. :facepalm:

thats probably why your WOF inspector hasnt read it.

31st October 2011, 12:50
Intererstingly nothing about how far apart they should be. just angles of projection only

bogan
31st October 2011, 12:56
I've heard of people told their indicators are too close together, but never seen any legislation for it. I reckon those ones are a bit close, often you can tell which way is being indicated by which side the yellow is of the red, but those ones overlap. Problems with the warrant guys may not be your major concern if numpties get muddled up with which way you are turning!

DMNTD
31st October 2011, 13:00
Interestingly nothing about how far apart they should be. just angles of projection only

Same as Mr Nobrot here, have had them on many of my bikes with zero issues re getting a WOF or being hassled by the Police for having them.
Buy them...makes your bike go fasterererer (when parked)

Maha
31st October 2011, 13:06
Same as Mr Nobrot here, have had them on many of my bikes with zero issues re getting a WOF or being hassled by the Police for having them.
Buy them...makes your bike go fasterererer (when parked)

Would this be the same unit (no pun intended:innocent:) that when breaking, it flashes rather than a solid red glow?
I was behind you (one of those ''rear'' occassions) on the M/Way once.

DMNTD
31st October 2011, 13:09
Would this be the same unit (no pun intended:innocent:) that when breaking, it flashes rather than a solid red glow?
I was behind you (one of those ''rear'' occasions) on the M/Way once.

Yes but only when indicating...not just because the brake(s) are applied

31st October 2011, 13:23
Yes but only when indicating...not just because the brake(s) are applied

Well if a quick riding motorcyclist dosen't confuse the poor cager, then this set up surely will. I got confused just reading about it. :facepalm:

nodrog
31st October 2011, 13:49
Well if a quick riding motorcyclist dosen't confuse the poor cager, then this set up surely will. I got confused just reading about it. :facepalm:

please refer to post #4

31st October 2011, 14:22
please refer to post #4

HaHa. Right..... Again

Well, decided I will get it anyway and because its a simple plug and play I figure I can always swap it back for std one if WOF people have any objections :innocent:

Owl
31st October 2011, 19:12
I've had mine fitted for the last 4 years and also had no issue with WoF checks.

If it comes with resistors, toss them in the bin and buy a replacement relay if needed.

grantnz
31st October 2011, 19:56

FXR 150's don't have a problem getting WOF's.

HenryDorsetCase
31st October 2011, 19:59

get the Ohlins forks that come with a 675R. :)

Hell. get a 675R

Gremlin
1st November 2011, 01:18
You've already been given a link to the lighting laws, read those, it's right, and anyone (including inspectors) that say anything contradictory, are wrong. I've also corrected inspectors on some technicalities, and they've tootled off to re-read the manual.

I've had the combined units on a couple of bikes, no issues.

Grubber
1st November 2011, 06:26
Just get them!
Plenty of over built Custom Harley Arses got them, seem to have WOF's.
They also got a whole lotta other shit on them that is less than practical and they still got WOF's.:facepalm:

SS90
1st November 2011, 11:53
Bit of a no brainer really, only took 20 seconds to findPage 16
section 6.b)

SS90
1st November 2011, 12:05
FXR 150's don't have a problem getting WOF's.

Yes, but this is homaligamated with this indicator set up.... The Triumph not

ckai
1st November 2011, 17:16
HaHa. Right..... Again

Well, decided I will get it anyway and because its a simple plug and play I figure I can always swap it back for std one if WOF people have any objections :innocent:

What type are you getting?

I've got one on mine. Love it. Although I did want this crazy sequential one that flashes the brake light and the indicators scroll in the direction you're indicating. Apparently that company has gone out of business though.

Just recently got a WOF. They told my wife "get him to rig up some other indicators as well for the next WOF. We're not too sure about it. It's bright though".

Must get around to doing that actually ;)

1st November 2011, 18:24
What type are you getting?

I've got one on mine. Love it. Although I did want this crazy sequential one that flashes the brake light and the indicators scroll in the direction you're indicating. Apparently that company has gone out of business though.

Just recently got a WOF. They told my wife "get him to rig up some other indicators as well for the next WOF. We're not too sure about it. It's bright though".

Must get around to doing that actually ;)

Yes. They told me its not how bright. It's more that they are too close together and could confuse the poor cagers from 50metres away :tugger:

Owl
1st November 2011, 18:31
It's more that they are too close together and could confuse the poor cagers from 50metres away :tugger:

Only if their eyes are drawn on their head!:rolleyes:

ckai
2nd November 2011, 13:41
Yes. They told me its not how bright. It's more that they are too close together and could confuse the poor cagers from 50metres away :tugger:

Only if their eyes are drawn on their head!:rolleyes:

I go with the theory "fuck me that's blinding, what the hell is that? Is it a UFO? I'll slow down in case I get abducted. Oh, it's only a bike". And because they've slowed down, they're less likely to kill me. It's a theory anyway.

This is why I have my front indicators set to 'strobe' so they look crazy different to everything else. And why I wanted the sequential integrated tail light so it drew more attention.

2nd November 2011, 15:01
I go with the theory "fuck me that's blinding, what the hell is that? Is it a UFO? I'll slow down in case I get abducted. Oh, it's only a bike". And because they've slowed down, they're less likely to kill me. It's a theory anyway.

This is why I have my front indicators set to 'strobe' so they look crazy different to everything else. And why I wanted the sequential integrated tail light so it drew more attention.

Good idea in theory....:blink:

Jay GTI
2nd November 2011, 15:58
There's a 675 that passes me on the way to work most mornings which has a similar set-up but it is significantly easier to see the indicator/brake light seperation than the unit in the vid, so maybe just not buy that particular one?

2nd November 2011, 18:14
There's a 675 that passes me on the way to work most mornings which has a similar set-up but it is significantly easier to see the indicator/brake light seperation than the unit in the vid, so maybe just not buy that particular one?

Would love to see his set up :drool:

Jay GTI
3rd November 2011, 10:55
Cool I'll follow him to his work, jump out of my ute and take some quick photos... and hopefully not get the crap kicked out of me in the process, coz he thinks I'm trying to nick the bike....

Seriously, he's in the Auckland CBD somewhere, I'll see if I can stumble across the bike for you.

3rd November 2011, 12:42
Cool I'll follow him to his work, jump out of my ute and take some quick photos... and hopefully not get the crap kicked out of me in the process, coz he thinks I'm trying to nick the bike....

Seriously, he's in the Auckland CBD somewhere, I'll see if I can stumble across the bike for you.

That would be cool. Hopefully maybe he is a KB member and kindly lets us see he setup.

vifferman
6th November 2011, 17:39
My mate at work just bought an MV Agusta F4 1000 - it comes standard with integrated LED taillight/indicators, and they're VERY close to the centre of the tail. They must meet the relevant EC regs, which I'd imagine are stricter than our crappy ones.

nodrog
7th November 2011, 07:11
My mate at work just bought an MV Agusta F4 1000 - it comes standard with integrated LED taillight/indicators, and they're VERY close to the centre of the tail. They must meet the relevant EC regs, which I'd imagine are stricter than our crappy ones.

thats not standard, somebody has changed it.

DMNTD
7th November 2011, 11:21
thats not standard, somebody has changed it.

I do concur

TIBLE_90
8th November 2011, 10:28
silly lighting laws...I just got my integrated tail light and it looks and works fine. I wanted to get HID headlights as well but there is apparently a law against putting them in unless you have the proper housing :wacko:.

bogan
8th November 2011, 10:49
I wanted to get HID headlights as well but there is apparently a law against putting them in unless you have the proper housing :wacko:.

cos decent beam patterns are way overated right? :innocent:

TIBLE_90
8th November 2011, 11:44
cos decent beam patterns are way overated right? :innocent:

Yep:yes:, maybe they should include the correct housing with the lights....

bogan
8th November 2011, 12:13
Yep:yes:, maybe they should include the correct housing with the lights....

Some do, (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=927) but they cost a bit more, no doubt you could also find sealed units, either new or off other vehicles, if you look hard enough and are willing to pay more.

8th November 2011, 13:18
One can also use hand signals while turning :motu:

Jay GTI
10th November 2011, 08:48
I am still trying to find Mr 675 for you, in fact spotted him yesterday but I was in slow traffic and he filtered through and was gone before I could see which way he went... I will find him....

10th November 2011, 09:54
I am still trying to find Mr 675 for you, in fact spotted him yesterday but I was in slow traffic and he filtered through and was gone before I could see which way he went... I will find him....

HEHE. Don't stress about it. Would be good to know his set up, but no point risking your safety over it. Thank you anyway for trying :yes:

Jay GTI
10th November 2011, 17:29
HEHE. Don't stress about it. Would be good to know his set up, but no point risking your safety over it. Thank you anyway for trying :yes:

Ha ha, nah don't worry, it's not like I'll be mowing down pedestrians trying to get to him, just I've seen him ride past so many times, it shouldn't be too hard to track down where he stops.

And anyways, your username is 5150, so either a Van Halen reference, or a direct reference to Eddie's sig amps (I've owned 2) and your avatar is Aces High, so you're all good in my books and I'm happy to help.

10th November 2011, 18:44
And anyways, your username is 5150, so either a Van Halen reference, or a direct reference to Eddie's sig amps (I've owned 2)

Both :yes:

I used 5150 amps since pretty much when they came out. And in my book EVH is God!!! :not::Punk:

Jay GTI
10th November 2011, 19:38
Both :yes:

I used 5150 amps since pretty much when they came out. And in my book EVH is God!!! :not::Punk:

Nice! My first was back from when they came out, then got a II a while back (but didn't like it as much as my first one).

EVH is one of my Gods... but he is right up there with my other faves.

10th November 2011, 20:27
Nice! My first was back from when they came out, then got a II a while back (but didn't like it as much as my first one).

EVH is one of my Gods... but he is right up there with my other faves.

Just saving up for the 5150mk3. I tested one about a month back and totally fell in love with it. More bottom end then your insides can cope with. Makes your balls shake;)

RAJAH1
18th November 2011, 12:42

NZ excels at arcane and pedantics laws to protect us from life. We will be fencing all rivers and beaches very soon.

Jay GTI
28th November 2011, 14:31
NZ excels at arcane and pedantics laws to protect us from life. We will be fencing all rivers and beaches very soon.

I don't think this is particular to NZ, at one company I worked for in the UK we weren't allowed to put up Xmas decorations, in case it offended people with other religious beliefs. I did notice those people of other faiths weren't in any way offended by the Xmas holidays they got...

But back to my mission, I spotted the guy on Dominion Road, followed him all the way up to K road, down Nelson St towards the CBD and then... along Fanshaw to the onramp of the motorway, where he was heading North... so no I won't be pestering him about his tail light set up anytime soon...

Love to hear that Mk3 though, still haven't heard one in the flesh/metal, although heard plenty of youtube clips. Does sound very big on the bottom end, which is exactly what the PV amps lacked...

Pseudonym
29th November 2011, 12:54

Not the bloke on the gold 675 with the grey Ixon jacket and the Oxford tail pack heading into Auckland on the southern is it?

Jay GTI
29th November 2011, 14:02
Not the bloke on the gold 675 with the grey Ixon jacket and the Oxford tail pack heading into Auckland on the southern is it?

Nah it's a white 675... figure he's coming from the Mt Eden sort of area and threading his way to the motorway through the CBD.

Pseudonym
29th November 2011, 18:12
Well it’s not me then...
But I do have one, so if whoever wants to have a look just PM me.

Still have the info from where I brought it from too.

actungbaby
30th November 2011, 11:08
yes well common sence tell you just looking at them to close well there is no distance between

I am looking at getting one of those integrated tail light units for my 675 Daytona, but before I commit I would like to know if these are legal in NZ from WOF point of view (as far as indicators are concerned). Sellers assures me that they are DOT approved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFMJefZRJgM

Any help would be appreciated

Owl
30th November 2011, 11:13
yes well common sence tell you just looking at them to close well there is no distance between

Well if I understand that mess of a sentence correctly, then I say bollocks. I've certainly had no WoF issues with mine.

nodrog
30th November 2011, 11:29

common sence tels me you didnt no wot you is takin about

Jay GTI
30th November 2011, 14:46

Yes well that what common sense be not what be legal or isn’t which is what be asked question said

D3ALN
30th November 2011, 19:11
my mate os running these same lights he got a black reflective decal in the middle 10mm wide the height of the lights and it passed wof at 3 local dealerships

Harry the Barstard
8th January 2012, 12:10
I think your missing the point here,

No one indicates anymore.....thats soooo 1995!!!

brett7777
18th January 2012, 09:05
and y'all are gettin your wofs at the wrong places!!!

This sorta stuff is totally up to the inspector, very subjective in other words.

Best to find an inspector who checks the important safety stuff, but isnt anal

24th January 2012, 14:46
Best to find an inspector who checks the important safety stuff, but isnt anal

Are there any left in this world?

Pseudonym
26th January 2012, 15:13
Only one side flashes, so who cares how far apart they are?
Personally I have never had any problems with getting a WoF.

Are there any left in this world?

Less and less...