PDA

View Full Version : Honda or BMW tourer?

CRM
1st November 2011, 10:22
I was at this point last year - thinking I was needing a touring bike to replace my VFR800. I rode a Transalp and liked it a lot so went that way hoping I would be able to put a bit of adventure riding into my touring. As it's turned out I've really only just ridden on the road and so I'm looking at tourers again - a budget of $5-7k which means early to mid-90's bikes generally. It seems like I can get a pretty nice ST1100 or R1100RT for that amount. :cool:

I'd ridden a mid-90's RT before and was very impressed. After riding an ST1100 the other day I'm pretty keen on them - probably my pick at the moment. :rolleyes:
Plusses for the Honda: I loved the flexibility of the engine, the solid feel, ease of use and the wind protection (the one I rode had a givi screen which was great). I'm familiar with Honda's and all the controls just feel more natural. Excellent local Honda support.
Minuses for the Honda: Seemed a bit awkward through tight bumpy turns - didn't feel like I could push it very hard without the suspension getting jiggly on me (possibly reflects the particular bike as it was higher mileage). Seat a bit higher than the Beemer - no problem in normal riding but could be a problem with such a heavy bike in an off-camber stopping situation.

I also tested a BMW R1100RT and while it didn't quite have the X-factor for me I'm wondering if that was just the bike on the day (I had already ridden in the rain and was pretty cold and wet).

Pluses for the BMW are: ABS, heated grips, more gadgets and adjustments, lighter and lower seat.
Minuses for the BMW are: even with the screen right up I got a draft down my back. It seemed to 'drop' more when slow-speed cornering - possibly because the rear tyre was quite worn in the centre. Also there is no local BMW shop locally so would have to take to Auckland for servicing. While they seem to be generally very reliable I know that if they need anything major it gets very expensive.

I like the look and feel of the ST's better, so they would be my natural choice, but the Beemers are very nice. I'm 5'9" with reasonably short legs and weigh about 80kg on a good day so with a big heavy bike I need it to be low. My sportsbike days are over - too hard on wrists and elbows. Also I love the thought of being out of the blast of the wind - gets a bit tiresome after 10 hours in the cold and rain :baby:.

Any thoughts to help me out in my choice? :Playnice:

Spearfish
1st November 2011, 10:43
Will the BMW be worth the mucking around in 6 months time considering your comfortable on the ST and probably one of the lucky few who are fairly happy on anything that will do the job?

george formby
1st November 2011, 11:51
A mate recently bought an ST 1300 to stick in the shed next to his Fireblade & his Fantic. Last years trip to Paeroa with the girlfriend pillioning on the blade was the clincher..... He has to ride a couple of K's of gravel before he hits a main road & then has to ride the Old Russell road ( twisty ) to get to the ferry. He loves it that much he makes excuses to go shopping on it. Highly recommended.

NighthawkNZ
1st November 2011, 12:09
I like the look and feel of the ST's better, so they would be my natural choice, but the Beemers are very nice. I'm 5'9" with reasonably short legs and weigh about 80kg on a good day so with a big heavy bike I need it to be low. My sportsbike days are over - too hard on wrists and elbows.

You kinda have made your own mind up. Personally I would go for the ST.

CRM
1st November 2011, 13:53
You kinda have made your own mind up. Personally I would go for the ST.

Yeah I know - but I've made bad choices before :(. The Beemer makes more sense in that it is more hi-tech (ABS, Fuel injected), yet is easier to work on yourself. Plus it's lighter and lower - all important considerations. I just feel an affinity to Hondas. Like going from PC to Mac I guess - feels strange at first but then feels way better...

I think either would do me well. Anybody owned both and can give an unbiased comparison? :lol:

I guess it will probably come down to what is around when my bike sells and what is the best value at the time. I'm also aware that certain bikes - same model and year - can feel significantly different. So I guess it will be a matter of trying specific bikes and seeing if we get on.

george formby
1st November 2011, 14:45
The fast guy with shredded tires in the Twist of the Wrist II video rides an ST:whistle:

jafar
2nd November 2011, 18:39
In your situation I'd be inclined towards the ST,
1/you like it more,
2/service is available in your area
3/parts are easy to get

Not knocking the BMW, just your stated preference & the advantages of having a dealer for the bike nearby.

MIXONE
2nd November 2011, 20:12
I'd go for the beemer.Lower seat height and easier to service yourself.

CRM
4th November 2011, 15:08
Favouring the ST because:

Local support
Like how they ride better
Like the look better
If something does go bad it shouldn't be as expensive as the Beemer
Economy of fuel consumption and range seems about even
No great weight advantage as the Honda seems to carry it lower as fuel is under the seat
I've read all the reviews I can find on both - Beemer fans like Beemers, Honda fans love the Honda
It's a Honda :love:
I can cope without ABS

There's lots to choose from on TM at the moment. I'm liking the look of this one (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=419822313) in Dunedin best, but quite a few nice ones out there. Just need to sell my TA (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=416606157) or do a trade. Might do a trip at the end of the month if it doesn't sell in the meantime and do a trade at one of the dealers that have a good one.

george formby
4th November 2011, 15:42
In your situation I'd be inclined towards the ST,
1/you like it more,
2/service is available in your area
3/parts are easy to get

Not knocking the BMW, just your stated preference & the advantages of having a dealer for the bike nearby.

Except for clutch gaskets & knock sensors....:angry: Basic servicing on the ST is simple, don't even need to take many, if any panels off & it has a lovely stick under the seat to hold the tank up. Clever.

blackdog
4th November 2011, 16:10
1200 Trophy.

Thank me later.

martybabe
4th November 2011, 16:54
I have owned an ST1100 and I now own a R1100rs (same as RT but not so touring orientated). Both are very good at what they do, not much to choose between them as far as capability goes but I find the Beemer much more engaging and characterful. I can't offer you anything tangible really but for me, The Beemer is a real riders machine, the ST, whilst very capable feels a bit bland by comparison.

If you get the chance go for a looong run on both, the beemer makes more sense as the miles rack up. I wasn't that bothered when the time came to sell the ST, when the time comes to sell the Beemer it'll be like saying goodbye to an old friend. Just my opinion, enjoy whatever you choose.:niceone:

Highlander
6th November 2011, 16:42
I have owned an ST1100 and I now own a R1100rs (same as RT but not so touring orientated). Both are very good at what they do, not much to choose between them as far as capability goes but I find the Beemer much more engaging and characterful. I can't offer you anything tangible really but for me, The Beemer is a real riders machine, the ST, whilst very capable feels a bit bland by comparison.

If you get the chance go for a looong run on both, the beemer makes more sense as the miles rack up. I wasn't that bothered when the time came to sell the ST, when the time comes to sell the Beemer it'll be like saying goodbye to an old friend. Just my opinion, enjoy whatever you choose.:niceone:

Still liking the Beemer then Marty?
Loving mine.

CRM, when I was looking and contemplating and a BMW came up that ticked all of the boxes on my "The new bike MUST have..." list (including price) I was advised that if you haven't done the Boxer engine thing before take it for a good couple hundred km test ride. By the time I had the CB just felt all wrong. Having gone back and ridden every other bike on my "possibles" list I don't regret my choice at all.
As for looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I have concluded the only view that counts is the one you get from the riders seat.

martybabe
6th November 2011, 17:43
Still liking the Beemer then Marty?
Loving mine.

I have concluded the only view that counts is the one you get from the riders seat.

Honestly, it's the bike I've been looking for all my riding life, I'm really struggling to find a worthy (younger) successor.

Here's the view from the riders seat by the way OP, epic adventures start with this view :rolleyes:

CRM
7th November 2011, 08:36

What kind of protection does the RS give compared to the RT (of ST for that matter)? I travel year-round so wind and rain protection is a big factor. I like the idea of the RS as they are a lighter bike - but not sure whether so suitable for long hours riding in unpleasant weather.:wacko: I've also ridden an R1100R and really liked the feel (and look) of those, but again a bit lacking in weather protection compared to the RT or ST.

martybabe
7th November 2011, 09:22
What kind of protection does the RS give compared to the RT (of ST for that matter)? I travel year-round so wind and rain protection is a big factor. I like the idea of the RS as they are a lighter bike - but not sure whether so suitable for long hours riding in unpleasant weather.:wacko: I've also ridden an R1100R and really liked the feel (and look) of those, but again a bit lacking in weather protection compared to the RT or ST.

The ST and the RT both have marginally better protection from the elements than the RS, where the RS scores though is in it's ability to track better in cross winds. I don't deliberately ride in the rain but the few deluges I've been caught in aboard the RS have been shrugged of admirably. The week spot would possibly be the hands on the RS, hence the hand guards and heated grips I guess.

The more sporty position of the RS allows you to tuck in better against adverse weather and the adjustable screens on both the Beemers are a major bonus over the ST. Turbulence from the screen on the ST was a major pain in the arse for me but a taller/shorter rider may be OK or an after market screen may solve this if it proves an issue.

I'd like to think that this is a design feature on the RS, but sadly I think it's just a fortunate coincidence that, at speed, the vortices and eddies emitted by the screen create a strong down draught stream on your visor enabling you to ride with clear vision even in the strongest downpour. Bizarre but a real bonus. Again this may depend on the screen position and the height of the rider so no guarantees there:msn-wink:

All good choices for your circumstances but if I had to choose one for travelling the world in shit weather, I'd plump for the RT, every day capable and fun The RS, The ST comes in third in my rankings but that's third out of a trio of good bikes, all of them respectable contenders here.

CRM
7th November 2011, 10:46
The ST and the RT both have marginally better protection from the elements than the RS, where the RS scores though is in it's ability to track better in cross winds. I don't deliberately ride in the rain but the few deluges I've been caught in aboard the RS have been shrugged of admirably. The week spot would possibly be the hands on the RS, hence the hand guards and heated grips I guess.

The more sporty position of the RS allows you to tuck in better against adverse weather and the adjustable screens on both the Beemers are a major bonus over the ST. Turbulence from the screen on the ST was a major pain in the arse for me but a taller/shorter rider may be OK or an after market screen may solve this if it proves an issue.

I'd like to think that this is a design feature on the RS, but sadly I think it's just a fortunate coincidence that, at speed, the vortices and eddies emitted by the screen create a strong down draught stream on your visor enabling you to ride with clear vision even in the strongest downpour. Bizarre but a real bonus. Again this may depend on the screen position and the height of the rider so no guarantees there:msn-wink:

All good choices for your circumstances but if I had to choose one for travelling the world in shit weather, I'd plump for the RT, every day capable and fun The RS, The ST comes in third in my rankings but that's third out of a trio of good bikes, all of them respectable contenders here.

Thanks for that. The ST that I rode had a Givi screen and the stillness was amazing - I rode with the visor up and no matter how fast I pushed it there was no turbulence or draft at all. The RT seemed to generate a draft down my back even at full height. Another RT I'd ridden seemed fine - no draft at all. I haven't ridden an RS as yet. You say the screens are adjustable - you mean electric like on the RT?

martybabe
7th November 2011, 10:59
Thanks for that. The ST that I rode had a Givi screen and the stillness was amazing - I rode with the visor up and no matter how fast I pushed it there was no turbulence or draft at all. The RT seemed to generate a draft down my back even at full height. Another RT I'd ridden seemed fine - no draft at all. I haven't ridden an RS as yet. You say the screens are adjustable - you mean electric like on the RT?

No, not electric, there is a twirly knob under the screen. It can be adjusted on the move if you're 'careful' perhaps better done when stopped. Low puts the wind on your chest and takes the strain off your wrists and high will keep most of mother nature at bay. Screens and fairings vary considerably as do the results. Noise and turbulence get on my tits on long journeys, I guess you just have to experiment for the best compromise eh.

CRM
9th November 2011, 15:00
Okay - silly question probably - but what age/mileage do you reckon the trade-off for cheap cost against massive repair costs for a BMW? My budget is $6k. There's a nice 1995 R1100RT (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=420484424) for that with 113k's on it. Is it false economy to buy one that old? There's a recently imported 1993 R1100RS (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=413981363) for $6500 with very low mileage. Is it better to go older with lower km or newer with higher km? Conventional wisdom would say newer with higher is better than older with lower as you get better technology and a newer bike with higher mileage hasn't been sitting around but running like it's supposed to.

This 1995 R1100R (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=421045512) is very nice - lower km than the RT but not sure how it would be for wind protection - I do like these a lot though.

In the Honda camp there is this older 92 ST1100 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=420206974) with only 26k's, or this very tidy 96 ST1100 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=410779128) with 88k's for about the same price.

I am being tempted the BMW way but I don't want to buy myself a bundle of repair costs :eek: What do you think?

martybabe
9th November 2011, 15:47
Okay - silly question probably - but what age/mileage do you reckon the trade-off for cheap cost against massive repair costs for a BMW? My budget is $6k. There's a nice 1995 R1100RT (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=420484424) for that with 113k's on it. Is it false economy to buy one that old? There's a recently imported 1993 R1100RS (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=413981363) for $6500 with very low mileage. Is it better to go older with lower km or newer with higher km? Conventional wisdom would say newer with higher is better than older with lower as you get better technology and a newer bike with higher mileage hasn't been sitting around but running like it's supposed to.

This 1995 R1100R (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=421045512) is very nice - lower km than the RT but not sure how it would be for wind protection - I do like these a lot though.

In the Honda camp there is this older 92 ST1100 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=420206974) with only 26k's, or this very tidy 96 ST1100 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=410779128) with 88k's for about the same price.

I am being tempted the BMW way but I don't want to buy myself a bundle of repair costs :eek: What do you think?

Of course I don't know any of these bikes so I can only give you a personal perspective but. If I was looking (with your criteria and budget) the RS,R, and the second ST would be on the short list.

The BMW 1100s have a good reputation for longevity and suffer less of the ills of some later models so if you think it's in good nick and has been serviced well it should be a safe bet. All bikes that age need a thorough going over though including a good test ride. They need servicing every 10;000 k and this can run quite expensive so the R for example will need $450-600 off you in short order.

The second ST looks a goodun but all we have to work on are photos so again, a five minute browse around the shiny paintwork isn't enough, service history WOF history, rust, scrapes, frame all need serious scrutiny. The first ST doesn't ring true to me from the photos, 26k, after market exhaust, shabby paint, it may well not be, but it looks like it could be, a high miler from the pics,hmmm, caution will Robinson.

I'd be looking at The RS and the second ST seriously. The R looks good but the weather protection you seek may be lacking, great bikes though.

Ultimately you're gonna have to pick and that's as it should be but I advise a looksee around the owners forums, common problems and solutions can be found therein, do your homework and good luck.

Out of interest, the RT, RS and ST, have all been used by the UK Police force in big numbers since ages ago, a harder life and testing ground for a bike I cannot imagine and the purchasers are fussy bastards, not afraid to ditch stuff that proves unsuitable. Norton commanders for instance came and went in the blink of an eye, relatively speaking.

CRM
10th November 2011, 12:27
Of course I don't know any of these bikes so I can only give you a personal perspective but. If I was looking (with your criteria and budget) the RS,R, and the second ST would be on the short list.

The BMW 1100s have a good reputation for longevity and suffer less of the ills of some later models so if you think it's in good nick and has been serviced well it should be a safe bet. All bikes that age need a thorough going over though including a good test ride. They need servicing every 10;000 k and this can run quite expensive so the R for example will need $450-600 off you in short order.

The second ST looks a goodun but all we have to work on are photos so again, a five minute browse around the shiny paintwork isn't enough, service history WOF history, rust, scrapes, frame all need serious scrutiny. The first ST doesn't ring true to me from the photos, 26k, after market exhaust, shabby paint, it may well not be, but it looks like it could be, a high miler from the pics,hmmm, caution will Robinson.

I'd be looking at The RS and the second ST seriously. The R looks good but the weather protection you seek may be lacking, great bikes though.

Ultimately you're gonna have to pick and that's as it should be but I advise a looksee around the owners forums, common problems and solutions can be found therein, do your homework and good luck.

Out of interest, the RT, RS and ST, have all been used by the UK Police force in big numbers since ages ago, a harder life and testing ground for a bike I cannot imagine and the purchasers are fussy bastards, not afraid to ditch stuff that proves unsuitable. Norton commanders for instance came and went in the blink of an eye, relatively speaking.

Yeah I've noticed all these bikes are common in Police work :Police:. I guess that is a great testimony to their longevity and usefulness...

I agree - the R probably won't provide the protection for what I'm wanting. :cold:

The first RT (the 95 with 113k's) is actually pretty good too. I looked at it and rode it a couple of weeks ago. The current owner has only done minor distance on it but it's been very well looked after by the previous owner - full records etc and he's added lots of nice touches. It goes and rides very well - rear tyre is getting a bit flat in the middle and will need replacing soon but apart from that seems pretty mint. So I'll check out the others down that way next week when i drop off my bike for the new owner - maybe the Black ST will impress of the White RS - if not I may go for that RT.

DR650gary
10th November 2011, 19:56
I rode my cousin's ST1100 when he first got it and it has now clocked up 150,000 kms. Feels just the same.

He rides it daily rain hail or shine and still loves it. He finds the weather protection awesome. I find the TDM900 better but if I was looking for a 500 km per tank motorcycle this would be it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-410779128.htm

Go for it but please negotiate severely :yes:

However.......

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-422677853.htm

Close by and as the man said, you may thank him!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-369661627.htm

Now I'm just being naughty :devil2:

CRM
10th November 2011, 21:07
I rode my cousin's ST1100 when he first got it and it has now clocked up 150,000 kms. Feels just the same.

He rides it daily rain hail or shine and still loves it. He finds the weather protection awesome. I find the TDM900 better but if I was looking for a 500 km per tank motorcycle this would be it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-410779128.htm

Go for it but please negotiate severely :yes:

However.......

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-422677853.htm

Close by and as the man said, you may thank him!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-369661627.htm

Now I'm just being naughty :devil2:

Yeah I've seen that ST at Colemans - it is very tidy. Might have another look when I'm heading south next week. I wondered about those triumphs :wacko:. From what I've read they are more top heavy than the ST or RT - plus chain drive. Might have a look though as they are both local :drool:

DR650gary
12th November 2011, 07:19
Had a look at the Triumphs yet?

I have had shaft drive bikes and chain drive. Currently on chain drive with the TDM and the Raptor.

I have never had a bike long enough to replace chain and sprockets. I have done the job on a couple of my son's bikes and it is no big deal.

I did have to replace the shaft on my XS750 due to lack of service by a previous owner. That is one of the joys of buying older bikes, you are at the mercy of the previous owners. Luckily I had a couple of parts bikes for the XS or the job could have been very expensive.

I have fitted a Scott oiler to all of the past 5 bikes and remove it when I sell and install on the next. Both or our bikes have them now and I find them easy to maintain.

I have never owned a Trophy, an ST or a BMW Tourer, but I have ridden them and found the only one that was really a motorcycle was the Trophy. The others were just mile munchers so if that is what you are looking for, go for it.

I gave a Sprint a long hard look and prolonged test ride but at 6 ft plus, I found it hard to fit my knees behind the fairings but as a bike, it was awesome.

CRM
12th November 2011, 13:58

I have had shaft drive bikes and chain drive. Currently on chain drive with the TDM and the Raptor.

I have never had a bike long enough to replace chain and sprockets. I have done the job on a couple of my son's bikes and it is no big deal.

I did have to replace the shaft on my XS750 due to lack of service by a previous owner. That is one of the joys of buying older bikes, you are at the mercy of the previous owners. Luckily I had a couple of parts bikes for the XS or the job could have been very expensive.

I have fitted a Scott oiler to all of the past 5 bikes and remove it when I sell and install on the next. Both or our bikes have them now and I find them easy to maintain.

I have never owned a Trophy, an ST or a BMW Tourer, but I have ridden them and found the only one that was really a motorcycle was the Trophy. The others were just mile munchers so if that is what you are looking for, go for it.

I gave a Sprint a long hard look and prolonged test ride but at 6 ft plus, I found it hard to fit my knees behind the fairings but as a bike, it was awesome.

Haven't looked at the Triumphs - reading up about them it sounds like they are reasonably tall - fine for 6 footers but I'm a bit shorter and one of my main desires is to get a bike that's lower seat height than my Transalp or the VFR800 I had before that or the VStrom before that. Tall top-heavy bikes - especially when fully loaded - can be a real handful stopping or starting in awkward spots after hours of riding when you are tired and cramped or when you are wet and cold if you are a bit short in the appendages:baby:.

I've had Scott-Oilers on two bikes now and never quite had them work right - either under-oil or over oil and make a mess on the driveway - so shaft is also a priority. So Beemer is in number 1 spot for me at present with Honda close behind - just depends what the best deal is that I can find. :corn:

CRM
14th November 2011, 20:31

Eating my words about the Trophy :rolleyes: I finally went and had a look on Sunday afternoon - turns out the guy lives about two streets away from me and I used to do work for him :laugh:. I sat on it and it felt like a good fit - not tall and top heavy at all. Sounded good, looked good, 49000km and 2002 model so I took if for a ride...:headbang: - very nice - easy to handle, heaps of grunt and character...

So I made him and offer and we negotiated and I pick it up on Wednesday when I get back from meeting the guy with my Transalp.

So thanks for the prompt... yes it has a chain (and a Scott-oiler under the number plate - hopefully set up properly) - but it's got more grunt that the ST or RT and is about 50kg lighter, with almost as good a fairing - full panniers - and better looking in my opinion than the very germanic beemer and the somewhat dated ST1100. So can't wait to get home on Wednesday and get better acquainted with it. It just made more sense in the end - for the same as I paid for it an ST or RT would either have twice the mileage or be 5 years older - and the Trophy is a better fit for me - a no-brainer. So very happy thanks :banana:.

Hitcher
14th November 2011, 21:40
I don't really get ST1300s. And I've owned one. Yes they have a great headlight. When they fall over the fairing bumpers keep the panniers off the ground. They're reasonably fuel efficient for such a whale. And Honda always has them on "special".

But:

They're heavy
They're badly troubled by crosswinds
That cam whine drives me nuts
They look shit without those panniers on
They have odd-ball tyre sizes. A few years ago that 18" front was scarcer than rocking horse shit
You need two sets of keys to open your panniers when you're touring
The rearview mirrors are a bit of a trick
Your pillion sits quite high
Linked brakes aren't everybody's cup of tea.

I've also owned a Yamaha FJR1300 which I rate more highly than an ST1300, despite it having a slightly smaller fuel tank.

Why?

It's 40kg lighter
It has standard tyres
It looks like a motorcycle without its panniers on
You only need one key to open both panners when you're touring
It's not overly bothered by crosswinds
Your pillion will feel more like they're part of the bike
It has the best 1300cc motorcycle engine ever made
It has R1-sourced brakes which are just fekking awesome
Compared with an ST1300 it's very sports and very tourer.

But hey, I understand that for the purposes of this thread there are only two choices and the FJR isn't one of them. Just like there are only two brands of motorcycle tyres, Pirellis and the other one.

DR650gary
15th November 2011, 07:07
So thanks for the prompt...

- and the Trophy is a better fit for me - a no-brainer. So very happy thanks :banana:.

I looked at one for my son and I liked it. Would have got it but he decided to go for a slightly less touring oriented bike and bought an FZ1 as he able to play with it and modify it a bit. He now has 2 of them :no:

Glad you got the bike for you and thanks for the reply.

I also have my Scottoiler behind a square number plate on the TDM. It needs resetting when the temperature changes dramatically, just a 5 minute job, and different oils flow at a different rate so you need to adjust the dial to regulate it.

Hope we see you on the road some time.

CRM
15th November 2011, 07:38
I looked at one for my son and I liked it. Would have got it but he decided to go for a slightly less touring oriented bike and bought an FZ1 as he able to play with it and modify it a bit. He now has 2 of them :no:

Glad you got the bike for you and thanks for the reply.

I also have my Scottoiler behind a square number plate on the TDM. It needs resetting when the temperature changes dramatically, just a 5 minute job, and different oils flow at a different rate so you need to adjust the dial to regulate it.

Hope we see you on the road some time.

He's not selling them is he? There is someone in wellington with two for sale here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-412459763.htm

Actually looks like a great deal - especially for the faired one with lower km at $4400 - I was tempted to look at them before I found the Trophy. Maybe he could add some more to his collection - they sound like pretty stunning machines for someone who wants something a bit more hoon-like.

CRM
15th November 2011, 07:44
I don't really get ST1300s. And I've owned one. Yes they have a great headlight. When they fall over the fairing bumpers keep the panniers off the ground. They're reasonably fuel efficient for such a whale. And Honda always has them on "special".

But:

They're heavy
They're badly troubled by crosswinds
That cam whine drives me nuts
They look shit without those panniers on
They have odd-ball tyre sizes. A few years ago that 18" front was scarcer than rocking horse shit
You need two sets of keys to open your panniers when you're touring
The rearview mirrors are a bit of a trick
Your pillion sits quite high
Linked brakes aren't everybody's cup of tea.

I've also owned a Yamaha FJR1300 which I rate more highly than an ST1300, despite it having a slightly smaller fuel tank.

Why?

It's 40kg lighter
It has standard tyres
It looks like a motorcycle without its panniers on
You only need one key to open both panners when you're touring
It's not overly bothered by crosswinds
Your pillion will feel more like they're part of the bike
It has the best 1300cc motorcycle engine ever made
It has R1-sourced brakes which are just fekking awesome
Compared with an ST1300 it's very sports and very tourer.

But hey, I understand that for the purposes of this thread there are only two choices and the FJR isn't one of them. Just like there are only two brands of motorcycle tyres, Pirellis and the other one.

Yeah I would have gone for an FJR1300 but out of the price range. The Trophy is also lighter and more powerful than the ST - in fact it fits most of the points you list above except for the brakes and maybe the pillion position and it's not a Yamaha :rolleyes:- haven't taken her out on it yet but it looks higher than an FJR.

DR650gary
15th November 2011, 17:13
Yeah I would have gone for an FJR1300 but out of the price range. The Trophy is also lighter and more powerful than the ST - in fact it fits most of the points you list above except for the brakes and maybe the pillion position and it's not a Yamaha :rolleyes:- haven't taken her out on it yet but it looks higher than an FJR.

You won't be disappointed when you do :msn-wink:

DR650gary
15th November 2011, 17:15
He's not selling them is he? There is someone in wellington with two for sale here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-412459763.htm

Not his. He will sell his second one at some stage but he wants to make it look pretty, like a street fighter :sleep:

Cheers and enjoy your ride.

Pedrostt500
16th November 2011, 16:27
Loving my FJR 1300, Tourque for Africa, and comfortable as having a big bumed woman between my legs.