PDA

View Full Version : Wellington: Vehicles could be banned from south coast

Howie
3rd November 2011, 05:32
Yep thats the heading over on this This Stuff (http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/5891586/Vehicles-could-be-banned-from-south-coast) page. There is a stuff opinion poll attached to the story. So lets add a few more No votes to the total.

buggsubique
3rd November 2011, 06:03
This makes my blood boil. I'm gonna vote the hell out of this one. Submitted a comment too...not that it makes a diff...

Howie
3rd November 2011, 06:34
This makes my blood boil. I'm gonna vote the hell out of this one. Submitted a comment too...not that it makes a diff...

I agree with you on that Buggsubique. There are few places left for riding legaly off road around Wellington. If one is removed it well just put more pressure on the others.

Haggis2
3rd November 2011, 06:51
Just another case of the dickhead minority ruining things for the majority :(

Lurch
3rd November 2011, 07:17

The only part you have any right to get angry about is the fact that others are screwing it up for you. If some people really are fucking up the place then I say they have every reason to lock it down.

Woodman
3rd November 2011, 07:22
It would be interesting to see what the damage is when comparing motorcycles vs 4wds.

buggsubique
3rd November 2011, 09:32
Actually Lurch, i also have the right to take exception to those who are objecting to motorised use, and who claim there is significant damage being done. There is'nt. Its one of the most weathered, harsh coastlines in the country. A few vehicles are not making an iota of difference.

[droid]

stormtrooper
3rd November 2011, 09:53
The only part you have any right to get angry about is the fact that others are screwing it up for you. If some people really are fucking up the place then I say they have every reason to lock it down.

Lurch i think you got it all wrong there mate, go wiggle your bum somewhere else:killingme

Scuba_Steve
3rd November 2011, 10:07
It would be interesting to see what the damage is when comparing motorcycles vs 4wds.

generally you don't want to do that... 4WD's generally come out favourably :(

Furyos J
3rd November 2011, 10:57
Me and the mrs were round south coast on saterday for a ride, there were A LOT of 4wds there, like a busy road at some points, most were well behaved, some were really ripping it up, we were in the afternoon and only saw about 4 other bikes, compared to 20-30 4wds. On a side note, we were parked up in a nice sunny bay sun bathing when we heard shots, we wernt too concerened, about 10 shots were let off, then we heard one make the whistling noise over our heads, and that freaked me out! i got up but couldnt see anyone, so i started the two smoker and gave it a real good rev to let them know someone was nearby. The shots stopped after that.
It would be a shame to loose red rocks to ride at, we used to live in ohiro bay and rode there every second day, but alas, we now live further away and only visit south coast once a month or so.
So you know, both our bikes are trail only, not road legal. But we are very respectful of all users of south coast, particularly walkers

Transalper
3rd November 2011, 14:07
generally you don't want to do that... 4WD's generally come out favourably :(

How can that be, when ever I've seen scarred ground from vehicle movements in sensitive places it comes as a pair of tracks and often is huge ruts and rutted pits usually full of water/mud nicely spaced a 4WD width apart. Motorcycles don't do that.
Maybe it's a bit different on a beach but I'm not so sure.

Scuba_Steve
3rd November 2011, 14:14
How can that be, when ever I've seen scarred ground from vehicle movements in sensitive places it comes as a pair of tracks and often is huge ruts and rutted pits usually full of water/mud nicely spaced a 4WD width apart. Motorcycles don't do that.

usually comes down to 4WD's quite often following those same tracks & they tend to "compress" due to their weight whereas bikes tend to make many tracks & tend to "rip" Not saying this is the case here, just as general rule. "Beach buggy" type vehicles are by far the worst combining the many track & "ripping" of the bikes with the "compression" of the 4WD's.

Mungatoke Mad
3rd November 2011, 15:54

If some people are fucking it up?? who are these people ? Is any attempt made to Identify said people ? Maybe lock down all the state highways as well because some drunk fucks are fucking it up If some people are tagging toilet blocks Lock em all down & while were talking Shit keep those fucking farm animals locked down because there shitting everywhere & fucking it up for everybody else Thank god for hacksaws bolt cutters & Thermite

buggsubique
3rd November 2011, 16:17
Thank god for hacksaws bolt cutters & Thermite

ooh, I do like thermite...

Usarka
3rd November 2011, 18:14
ooh, I do like thermite...

Don't they eat wood....?

buggsubique
3rd November 2011, 18:29
Don't they eat wood....?

Yeth they do...

misterO
3rd November 2011, 19:12
IMO it would be counter productive to start pointing fingers at the 4WD community because we have much in common. They make a good ally because we both want the same thing: access. Also, they are a large and effective lobbying force against the self-righteous kill-joy green-meanies (4WD enables families/elderly/handicapped to get out and enjoy nature increasing the desire to respect/protect it, yaddah yaddah). We are under attack from the same enemy. We must all hang together or surely we shall all hang separately.

NordieBoy
3rd November 2011, 19:40
If some people really are fucking up the place then I say they have every reason to lock it down.

No. You punish the people doing the fucking.

NordieBoy
3rd November 2011, 19:49
usually comes down to 4WD's quite often following those same tracks & they tend to "compress" due to their weight whereas bikes tend to make many tracks & tend to "rip" Not saying this is the case here, just as general rule. "Beach buggy" type vehicles are by far the worst combining the many track & "ripping" of the bikes with the "compression" of the 4WD's.

Over the Maungatapu track, 1 4WD can do more damage to the road surface than a years bike traffic.
Even a carefully driven 4WD can sink 30cm into a clay surface that a bike would sink 3cm or so. Then it rains and those deep ruts become water channels and scour out even deeper.

But wind and rain can cause far more damage than either...
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MU28aA-CipE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

buggsubique
3rd November 2011, 20:54
one of the appeals with two whees is accessibility. It so much more restricted for 4wds. Regardless, the fight here is between hippies, bogans and the good honest kiwi vehicle user.

[droid]

Paul in NZ
4th November 2011, 06:48
Basically this is theft of public land under a 'conservation' banner. Of course 'conservationists' (the moral elite) will still be able to go there but the rest of us non conservationists cant be trusted and need to be banned...... wankers....

Paul in NZ
4th November 2011, 06:52
Don't they eat wood....?

No - leaky buildings eat wood, thermite is a warm base layer for the winter months....

Box'a'bits
4th November 2011, 07:40
No - leaky buildings eat wood, thermite is a warm base layer for the winter months....
But only once...:pinch:

Scuba_Steve
4th November 2011, 08:27
IMO it would be counter productive to start pointing fingers at the 4WD community because we have so much in common. Also, they are a large and effective lobbying force against the self-righteous kill-joy green-meanies (4WD enables families/elderly/handicapped to get out and enjoy nature increasing the desire to respect/protect it, yaddah yaddah). They make a good ally because we both want the same thing: access. We are under attack from the same enemy. We must all hang together or surely we shall all hang separately.

+1 that right there ^ join forces rather than divide to be conquered.

buggsubique
4th November 2011, 21:21
Basically this is theft of public land under a 'conservation' banner. Of course 'conservationists' (the moral elite) will still be able to go there but the rest of us non conservationists cant be trusted and need to be banned...... wankers....

There's miles more coastline right around Terawhiti Head that no tussock munching hippies even get near... the "wildlife" argument is so fricken hollow. Infact this entire coastline is all rock and cliff face. The hell any vehicle is going to ruin it...infact I'd say if vehicles were stopped from having access the entire coastline would change of its own accord atleast once a year.

As for baches on the coastline...I slow down past them but really, to put it in perspective, if you build a house next to an airport, you expect so see and hear planes flying aye.

rant rant rant etc.:innocent:

Shadows
4th November 2011, 22:12
With the current mayoress it will probably happen.

Everybody should go out and punch a tree hugger each day.