PDA

View Full Version : Mr Skid's weapon of mass destruction

Mr Skid
16th July 2005, 02:31
I've had this bike for just over a week now, so I guess I owe you bastards a review.

The bike in question is a '02 Yamaha XT600. Don't ask for pictures, as it looks like every other one on the web. Except it's pre crashed (ex rental), so I don't have to worry about scratching the shiny bits. Which I expect to be doing off road.

My previous bike was a triple R moto-X Spec (donor bike was a CBR250R). It was an reasonable bike when I put it around Taupo, but was too limited in it's capabilities.
- Commuting: Inadequate low down torque, poor mirrors, poor visability and generally tiring to ride.
- Touring: Cramped riding position and cruising around 100-110km/h equated to ~10,000rpm in top gear.
- Sport riding: Not enough power to keep up with real sports bikes, forks would bottom out under braking.
- Off road: 140 rear gave reasonable grip on gravel, but would spin up on wet grass. Did a good skid though.

I was faced with the option of upgrading to another sportsbike of a larger displacement, and continuing to develop my skills on a sportsbike, or go with something capable of off road riding and develop another set of skills.

I came up with a list that included
Suzuki DR650, DRZ400, DR750
Kawasaki KLX650, KLR650
Yamaha TT600, XT600, XT400
Honda XR600, XR400, XL650

In the end the XT600 won out against others in my price range for a number of reasons:
- Air cooled 600cc single. Not much to go wrong with this beast, only weird bits are a funny twin carb setup that might get binned in due course and an issue whereby the 5th gear needs to be replaced between 50k and 100k. (Had been replaced 8k ago on the bike I bought)
- Electric start. Can't really argue with this for commuting purposes.
- Enduro style plastics. Not alot of stuff to break when it goes down (Compared to a KLR650).
- 15L tank. Bar the 23L tank of the KLR650 and the DR750 this has the biggest tank of the lot.
- 2002 model. Parts will still be available, as this model revision was continued through until 2005.

So enough about why I chose it, what's it like?

Bloody different! The tires are a 90/90-21 front and a 120/90-17 rear. It tips in really quick, combined with wide bars I'd say it turns quicker than the 250.

In traffic you can idle along at 2500rpm quite happily, just roll on the throttle if you want to accelerate. No need to keep tapping the gear shift.

Very high seating position. 800mm seat by memory. Easy to see over cars, and can be ridden standing up to see further ahead. Great mirrors too.

Droppable. It got knocked over at uni this week, and there was no damage, as it landed on the wide bars. If that happened to a faired bike, or even a naked road bike, I'd expect there to be a degree of damage. As I was I picked it up and rode way without a care in the world.

As regards riding technique, there's so many different ways you can ride it. On a sportsbike I would hang off and stick a knee out in a corner. On this you can do anything. You can stay on the bike, you can lean into a corner, or you can stick a foot out by the front wheel Mo'Tard/enduro style.

I've been finding myself adopting a MX style of riding whereby you lean out of the corner, sit on the high edge of the seat and move the bike under you. It seems like it shouldn't work, but I feel quite comfortable doing it on the road.
I think it increases the lean angle required for a corner, but as your upright on the bike you can crank the throttle on and slide the back a little to get around the corner.

So I think I've found the ultimate communter. I can't think of any bike which would do commuting better. I'd be keen to sort out a different set of carbs, lighter/less restrictive exhaust (stock unit weighs 15kg) and a bigger Acerbis tank, but it's sufficent for my use for now.

For sports/track riding I might look at a getting a motard as well in a few years, but for now I'm happy with the XT as my scoot. :love:

justsomeguy
16th July 2005, 03:27
Nice review milfer.

Firefight
16th July 2005, 03:37
hey skid, nice write up, guess we will see you out our way a bit now, plenty metal back roads for you.

oh yeah and if you feel like a challenge, go for a ride with Sudeep when he has his bros XR600, nothing like seeing that thing pass sports bikes on the open road

F/F :ride:

crazylittleshit
16th July 2005, 03:59
TO long to read..................... me not literate...... :oi-grr:

Badcat
16th July 2005, 06:57
see peter at custom chambers.
he did a great job on a stainless can for my vanvan!
Custom Chambers Motorcycle Exhausts
2/30A Kerwyn Ave East Tamaki Auckland 0-9-274 1155
good prices too!

NhuanH
16th July 2005, 07:16
durka durka
[that's prolly a bit like what the XT feels like :pinch: ]

Did you compose this well constructed dissertation in the wee small hours because you are feeling "so ronery"? Maybe you need a montage - even Rocky had a montage.....

I wonder if Homeland Security will be looking you up, seeing as you've gone and posted about a WMD? Oh, how WRONG they would be :nya:

XTC
16th July 2005, 09:10
Stock muffler only weighs 5.5kg..... :whistle:
Twin carbs work fine. Second one only comes on higher in the revs.
Congrats on the new bike. When you coming for a Te Uku/raglan ride?

Mr Skid
16th July 2005, 10:41
oh yeah and if you feel like a challenge, go for a ride with Sudeep when he has his bros XR600, nothing like seeing that thing pass sports bikes on the open road
..It's certainly impressive how Sudeep corners that thing, especially with a full knob tire. I think it'll be a while before I'm going around the outside of sportsbikes though.

see peter at custom chambers.
Thanks for that Ken. I've been looking around at exhausts, and they're not that popular as aftermarket items. So far I've found out that Arrow and Staintune manufacture exhausts for the XT, but I'll check custom chambers out in due course.

I wonder if Homeland Security will be looking you up, seeing as you've gone and posted about a WMD? Oh, how WRONG they would be :nya:..
Keep it up and we'll see what sort of destruction it can dish out onto your lawn.

Stock muffler only weighs 5.5kg..... :whistle:
Congrats on the new bike. When you coming for a Te Uku/raglan ride?I didn't realise that it contained 9.5kg worth of baffles.. I tried to remove the restrictor in the end of the pipe to see what difference it made, but the bolt sheared off so it's premanently derestricted.

Motu was explaining to me about the operation of the twin carb setup. Good idea on paper, but poorly implemented I understand. I'll be keen for a ride, hopefully it'll go around gravel corners better than the last bike.

Ixion
16th July 2005, 10:59
Motu was explaining to me about the operation of the twin carb setup. Good idea on paper, but poorly implemented I understand. I'll be keen for a ride, hopefully it'll go around gravel corners better than the last bike.

L'il Ratty has that same weird carb set up, with two carbs in one. I tried to figure out how to tune it so that there wasn't a flat spot on the "overlap" but I gave up. Stupid idea, why not just have a Y manifold and a single decent sized carb ?

Motu
16th July 2005, 11:18
Good move Mr Skid - pre loved by many...I've known a few girls like that,and they sure are a lot of fun too.The XT600 has to be one of the most sorted bikes ever made,all the problems were way in the past,and your one at least has Yamaha's token gesture of the 5th gear oil feed,although there are XTs that have done over 100,000km without 5th gear problems - ride one for a week and everyone you meet says don't lug it in top.Mine has done 60,000km,I'll find out how 5th gear is when I open it up next week.The carbs are ok if they are in good cond....they are even up to performance mods like big bores,cams and exhausts without needing more than a rejet.

The handling has no vices if used as intended - sportsbike scratching and Motocross will present a few problems,but generaly the bike just copes with whatever you want to do with it - go fast on a back road,on a gravel road,on a farm track,load it up and tour the South Island,take it to Africa,repair it with parts scavanged at the local tip,go to Uni every day and explore on weekends - it's a blunt tool,but with a bit of effort you can bend it to any task required...I reckon you'll get along just fine together.

Lucyloo
16th July 2005, 17:33
Good move Mr Skid - pre loved by many...I've known a few girls like that,and they sure are a lot of fun too.

Hey Motu.....I resemble that statement! ;)

Rhys, glad that you are up and running again.
Remember, next time you want to put on a dress you can come riding with the WIMA gals!
Luce
xxx

Coyote
16th July 2005, 17:57
Seems like an obvious upgrade from a CBR :p Good choice, nice lookin bike and I assume like most single cylinder 4 strokes would be very nice to ride :2thumbsup

2_SL0
16th July 2005, 18:22
I want a pic. :rofl: :yes:

NordieBoy
16th July 2005, 18:38

Same Tekki carbs on the Nordie.

Oh for a Y manifold and a 36mm flatslide :)

The choke carb thingy comes in at about 4700rpm on my bikes according to the dyno graph.

Mr Skid
16th July 2005, 18:59
Hey Motu.....I resemble that statement! ;)

Rhys, glad that you are up and running again.
Remember, next time you want to put on a dress you can come riding with the WIMA gals!
Luce
xxxAre you saying you aren't as much fun as Motu suggests? :devil2:

The question is, would I wear the dress inside, or outside my boots? Or would I need gaiters? I believe SpeedMedic has some nice a-line numbers I could borrow.

Seems like an obvious upgrade from a CBR :p Good choice, nice lookin bike and I assume like most single cylinder 4 strokes would be very nice to ride :2thumbsupDon't get me started on how shit 250 multi's are.

It's got a counter balancer thingy that kills most of the vibrations. You still know you're riding a motorbike in the traditional sense, as opposed to something smooth like a inline four. There's the option of ringing the snot out of it and have a good time, but still have a very non agressive ride if that's the mood your in.

Sod off! Na, I'll sort something out eventually.

Same Tekki carbs on the Nordie.

Oh for a Y manifold and a 36mm flatslide :)

The choke carb thingy comes in at about 4700rpm on my bikes according to the dyno graph.
I've read of people having success putting a set of carbs from a gpx250 onto these engines.
Do you mean the diaphram carb comes in at 4700rpm? I've just finished putting it back together after having a look at the carbs. It appears there is a screw to adjust at what throttle opening the second carb starts to open.. Might have a play with that at some point (when I've got the time and money to fix the bits I'll break).

Coyote
17th July 2005, 10:16
Don't get me started on how shit 250 multi's are.

Suits me for now. Still would prefur a Husaberg Motard over it though, with S1 style twin exhausts (drool)

Badcat
17th July 2005, 10:27
Suits me for now. Still would prefur a Husaberg Motard over it though, with S1 style twin exhausts (drool)

think seriously before putting a "berg on the road.
they are a thinly disguised MX bike.
they are not made for road use, motors carry very little oil, they need VERY regular engine strips blah blah blah...

the KTM lc4 is a much better if you want a euro supermoto.
a little heavier, but will take the pounding of street use.

just my 02 cents...
k

Coyote
17th July 2005, 10:35
think seriously before putting a "berg on the road.
they are a thinly disguised MX bike.
they are not made for road use, motors carry very little oil, they need VERY regular engine strips blah blah blah...

the KTM lc4 is a much better if you want a euro supermoto.
a little heavier, but will take the pounding of street use.

just my 02 cents...
k
Since when has it been about praticality? It's all about image bro :p

See what you're getting at, but any motard I get I'll also be racing it. And I just like husabergs cause their engines look so simple. Although I did see an LC4 and thought it was bloody stunning, but it doesn't make a very good race bike as it has enduro gear ratios (doesn't it?).

http://www.mcjournalen.no/Husaberg04/husfe%2004.jpg

http://www.subcycles.com/images/husaberg650e_black.jpg
They look good in Black don't they?

EDIT: Why won't they pics show up? All I'm getting is these hyperlinks :mad:

Coyote
17th July 2005, 10:40
The Force Edition :love:

http://www.beaudrymotorsports.com/images/husa/husa_force_edition_enduro.jpg

Badcat
17th July 2005, 10:40
Since when has it been about praticality? It's all about image bro :p

See what you're getting at, but any motard I get I'll also be racing it. And I just like husabergs cause their engines look so simple. Although I did see an LC4 and thought it was bloody stunning, but it doesn't make a very good race bike as it has enduro gear ratios (doesn't it?).

http://www.mcjournalen.no/Husaberg04/husfe%2004.jpg

http://www.subcycles.com/images/husaberg650e_black.jpg
They look good in Black don't they?

EDIT: Why won't they pics show up? All I'm getting is these hyperlinks :mad:
sorry - i thought you meant as a road bike only.
as a race bike - i agree with you.
the 'berg will nail an lc4 to the wall.
here's my old ktm lc4...
http://www.kenkong.com/album/album.php?albumId=415&libraryId=55&personId=3

there's a pretty cheap berg on trademe.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes/auction-31291507.htm

one day i will own a husaberg - they are dead sexy.

k

Coyote
17th July 2005, 10:44
sorry - i thought you meant as a road bike only.
as a race bike - i agree with you.
the 'berg will nail an lc4 to the wall.
here's my old ktm lc4...
http://www.kenkong.com/album/album.php?albumId=415&libraryId=55&personId=3

there's a pretty cheap berg on trademe.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes/auction-31291507.htm

one day i will own a husaberg - they are dead sexy.

k
Nice LC4 :2thumbsup

Thats a nice Husaberg too, shame I haven't got the money :pinch:

Ixion
17th July 2005, 11:02
Do you mean the diaphram carb comes in at 4700rpm? I've just finished putting it back together after having a look at the carbs. It appears there is a screw to adjust at what throttle opening the second carb starts to open.. Might have a play with that at some point (when I've got the time and money to fix the bits I'll break).

Li'l Ratty has teh same setup (seems to be a Yamaha thing). SRX/XT/TT 250/400/600 all seem to have had it in one form or another. I spent some time fiddling with that screw, and finally settled for putting things back as I found them (phew , it still worked).

Damn weird system , classic example of being too clever by half. I've not been able to find anything decent on-line about how to tune them, if anyone knows of something a link would be gratefully received.

Mr Skid
17th July 2005, 16:04
Li'l Ratty has teh same setup (seems to be a Yamaha thing). SRX/XT/TT 250/400/600 all seem to have had it in one form or another. I spent some time fiddling with that screw, and finally settled for putting things back as I found them (phew , it still worked).

Damn weird system , classic example of being too clever by half. I've not been able to find anything decent on-line about how to tune them, if anyone knows of something a link would be gratefully received.Have a chat to Motu's cat next time it's over. It mentioned the other day (after scratching my sofa) that there's a dynojet kit for the carbs.

For the right carb, it includes a set of drills so you can drill out the jets to your desired size- there are no aftermarket jets available. From what I've read on the tinkernet most people don't bother tuning the factory carbs, and instead replace them with something more common.

2_SL0
17th July 2005, 19:01
That LC4 is a fine looking machine.

Wheres my pic. :rofl:

Motoracer
18th July 2005, 11:30
Nice one man! Congrats on the big XT!

bugjuice
18th July 2005, 11:39
but can ya wheelie it yet?
been doing much off-roading on it?

Mr Skid
18th July 2005, 13:17
That LC4 is a fine looking machine.

Wheres my pic. :rofl:Get bent!

Nice one man! Congrats on the big XT!Shot brutha, better bore out Slob's XR so you don't get run over in the corners now. (This is Sudeep after reading that comment > :rofl: )

but can ya wheelie it yet?
been doing much off-roading on it?I've had a few instances away off the lights with a bit of clutch slipage where I've gone to steer the bike and realised that the front isn't quite in contact with the ground. Doing wheelies isn't my main aim in life, but I will say that lands much better than the cbr did.

Does ripping up Nhuan's lawn count as off-roading?
I've done some gravel roads between Kaukopakopa and Old North the other day, but I'm taking learning the bike slowly.

NhuanH
18th July 2005, 17:28
Does ripping up Nhuan's lawn count as off-roading?
Foo, do you think I'm gonna let YOU know where I live :motu:

The M$ motobicycling identity crisis continues:
:weird: on the stretched rubber band sprot bike he thought it was a dirt tracker, now on a trailie he is more interested in chasing sprot bikes still - I'm sure the only grubiness on the XT is tar from the ROAD. Well that, plus the pilot on top.... :Pokey:

Mr Skid
18th July 2005, 17:34
I'm sure the only grubiness on the XT is tar from the ROAD. Yeah, that and your sister. It was easier to get rid of the tar though.

Motoracer
18th July 2005, 17:59
Shot brutha, better bore out Slob's XR so you don't get run over in the corners now. (This is Sudeep after reading that comment > :rofl: )

:rofl:

Looking forward to riding with you though! We should get ol Motu to come along as well. Would be cool to raid the sports bike party on dirty trailies!

NhuanH
18th July 2005, 18:06
Yeah, that and your sister. It was easier to get rid of the tar though.
so it was YOU that drove her into the arms of WIMA! You bastige!

Cary
18th July 2005, 20:06
I've been finding myself adopting a MX style of riding whereby you lean out of the corner, sit on the high edge of the seat and move the bike under you. It seems like it shouldn't work, but I feel quite comfortable doing it on the road.

Good to hear you got the XT, but I ride both MX & road and on the road I just tend to sit on the seat and steer with the 'bars.................still I've only been riding for 20 years :ride:

XTC and I often go for mid week rides to find gravel roads so will be sure to PM you next time were off on another adventure :yes:

Good luck.

Mr Skid
19th July 2005, 11:47
so it was YOU that drove her into the arms of WIMA! You bastige!Apparently the lure of the Burgman was too great.
As she was leaving she said something about me lacking mid range torque? :unsure:
I'd blame Lucy Loo myself..

NhuanH
19th July 2005, 12:06
something about me lacking mid range torque? :unsure:
and summin about the undersized piston mis-firing? :nono:

Mr Skid
19th July 2005, 20:32
and summin about the undersized piston mis-firing? :nono:I think you'll find that most instances of engine misfires are actually piston slap caused by a worn bore due to excessive mileage.
Certainly the lack of compression would mean that there was little chance of premature ignition.

sAsLEX
19th July 2005, 20:52
I think you'll find that most instances of engine misfires are actually piston slap caused by a worn bore due to excessive mileage.
Certainly the lack of compression would mean that there was little chance of premature ignition.

and on a completly unrelated note, how boring is that class we started today?

NhuanH
19th July 2005, 20:57
I think you'll find that most instances of engine misfires are actually piston slap caused by a worn bore due to excessive mileage.
nah, it was more about the poor timing and missing the power stroke. Definitely not enough punch low down.

Mr Skid
19th July 2005, 21:06
and on a completly unrelated note, how boring is that class we started today?If I knew that class was going to be full of engineers I would have never taken it! :Pokey:

sAsLEX
19th July 2005, 21:35
If I knew that class was going to be full of engineers I would have never taken it! :Pokey:

same if I knew non engineers would be infesting our quite little world!

Mr Skid
19th July 2005, 21:46
same if I knew non engineers would be infesting our quite little world!Sod off, it's a Computer Science paper! :nono: (Oh crap, I've just outted myself as a geek.)

Mr Skid
24th July 2005, 16:44

Wheres my pic. :rofl:
Now stop your complaining!

Motu
24th July 2005, 19:01
Looks dam good - which one?

Mr Skid
24th July 2005, 19:22
Looks dam good - which one?Out Huia way I recall.
Erik took it for a spin (and photo session) yesterday, whilst I borrowed his Zeal to address some 'administrative' issues.

2_SL0
24th July 2005, 20:07
Looks good, I was going to hassle if that was on my backdoor (Hunua) , but its Huia so your lucky. :yes:

sAsLEX
24th July 2005, 21:08
Out Huia way I recall.
Erik took it for a spin (and photo session) yesterday, whilst I borrowed his Zeal to address some 'administrative' issues.

might have to do something else similar for 'administrative' issues

nice ride mate.