PDA

View Full Version : dyno'ed my bike today

GPz
18th December 2003, 11:49
well, I have just had the ZX12 in for its 12000k service + new back tyre + Dyno.
I was hoping for a reading between 150-157 HP. She got up to 162HP!
and this was after the service obviously, but the bike is totally stock, down to the catalytic converter and original muffler.the fuel was whatever i topped up with on my last ride.
The last back tyre lasted 4000k (BT010) which lasted a third longer than the D207 i had on last time.
I'm quite happy.

jrandom
18th December 2003, 12:19
Three new rears in 12000kms? Conspicuous bloody consumerism...

James Deuce
18th December 2003, 12:23
Three new rears in 12000kms? Conspicuous bloody consumerism...

Said the bloke with the avatar that shows him doing a burn out :D

GPz
18th December 2003, 13:02
1st D207 lasted 5000k - running the bike in.
2nd D207 lasted 3000k - starting to play
1st BT010 lasted 4000k -
90% of riding since has been two up

Coldkiwi
29th December 2003, 22:24
do those 207's not scare you GPz or have you got the RR or GP version? I'm confused with people that run them and love them (I've now met a few) when I hate the freaking things (I have the U version as standard).
Suzuki need a right proper kick in the head for fitting such shite rubber to a well powered and twitchy sports bike like a GSXR. (sorry for blagging on about this again... I get the diablo corsa's tomorrow.... I promise I'll shut up then!)

You'll be stoked with the 162 HP I'm sure! how did you break it in? did you follow the overly conservative owners manual recommendations or more of a 'ride it like you stole it' approach?

figjam
30th December 2003, 08:12
I'm with you CK on the D207's. They were superb on a good surface in both wet and dry but the second you got near anything vaguely shiny/slippery, the front and the back would be sliding all over the place. Scared the crap out of myself so many times because it would take so little to start it. I don't mind the rear sliding around a bit but front and rear at the same time is scary.

Been running MEZ3's and M1's since I threw the first set of D207's away. I've been dying to try the Pirelli Diablos (not the Corsas) since they first came out, but I'm waiting for my front to wear out first as they are designed to work together. The last time I replaced the front you couldn't get a 200/50 Diablo for the rear.

As for the dyno every 12k, cool eh! I'm just about to take mine in for it's 48k service and it's always come out at about 161 HP. I followed the manual for running in for two reasons:

The bike cost 23 and a half grand and I prefer not to think what I'm paying in interest. Would you take a punt on that much money?
Not one person who recommended the "Ride it like you're going to" had ever had a bike anywhere near the size from new. Most had never had a bike from new.

GPz
8th January 2004, 14:13
CK, the D207s were fine for grip although I didn't do much riding in the rain.
From all accounts the Bridgestones are the best and so I have them on now.
I used the run-in procedure as per the manual a. for warranty reasons and b. because of the reported problems if you ignore the run-in period.
Being a bit paranoid (it is my first new bike) I even changed the oil at about 8000ks because i hadn't done much riding(six months from 6000 k service).

We have cocked up a few more thousand now though. We have just got back from two weeks riding taking in Cemetary circuit, down to Dunedin, across to Hokitika, Nelson, Motueka Drags, Te Papa and home, about an hour ago. No tickets, saw plenty of cops. Six between Waganui and Bulls(42ks) on Boxing day alone!

GPz
8th January 2004, 14:18
figjam, The dyno readings between yours and mine are close enough to be the same. Is your 12 modified at all?
Did you get a torque reading? I didn't, but I will next time i get it dynoed.
I used the Dyno at Bay city Motorcycles, Tauranga.
The first run got to 159HP but i think that was the brand new tyre. the second run was done straight afterwards with the oil shit off the tyre worn off.

DEATH_INC.
13th January 2004, 18:22
Just sold my '00 ZX12......It made 157hp when just run in.Putting a full exhaust on makes a huge difference(never re-dynoed it but you could feel a massive gain).
My old Turbo made 176hp at only 15lbs boost.....I've run up to 25psi.....
With the tyres I only ever got about 2000k's outta any rear,I've run the stock 207's(lasted the running in only)Pirelli dragons,Sportec m1's,pilot sport hpx's and the diablo's.....
Personally I prefered the hpx's,next would be the m1's,the dragons were ok(I don't think you can get them anymore....)I have never liked he 207's(on both the 12 and the Gixx as new) and last but certainly least I wouldn't put Diablo's on a scooter let alone a bike :mad: .I've got them on the Gixx at the mo(I thought they might be better on a lighter less powerful bike)and they're shite on it too :argh:
Just outta interest I've got a few bits off the 12 I wanna sell,a carbon front gaurd,a powercommander,a pair of near new bmc street filters,a set of goodridge brake lines and a set of goldvalves/springs (new).

tlronny
19th January 2004, 13:16
As a matter of interest my new 'Busa only got 2300 ks from the first rear - it was a BT56J and I would highly recommend any of the newer Bridgestones for the bigger bikes. My bike is bog stock apart from a pair of Scorpion mufflers (with custom midpipes) and there was quite a difference in how it went from new up to the 3000 odd kays that I have done now.
My running in was not as per manual but definately not thrashing it either !

duckman
19th January 2004, 14:46
Going back to the topic at hand .... :innocent:

I got my Ducati 750SS dyno'd after the power commander was fitted. I've opened the airbox and fitted a K & N filter, I also got arrow carbon fibre cans as part of the purchase..... Now to the numbers... :no:

The duke is producing a (comparatively ) pathetic 63.03 HP and 45.22 max torque.

I must admit, I have never felt like my bike was in any way slow or "underpowered" but when I look at the figures being mentioned here I feel quite inadequate :baby:

Oh well I still love the way it rides!!! :niceone:

Motu
19th January 2004, 14:55
Don't worry - riders who are anal about horsepower,1/4mle and top speed figures are best left there...you got it,how it goes on the road or track says it all.

I've had my bike dynoed - 48hp at the rear wheel....um....that means it has 48hp at the rear wheel :rolleyes:

GPz
20th January 2004, 20:55
It's always interesting to see the actual HP figure for your bike. It is good to have a comparison between what it was in stock form and after modifications.
The bike has 162hp but according to my times at the drags i only need 110hp to do the times I have done. (There is a calculator on the NZ drag racing site that tells you-Idon't know how accurate it is)

"Don't worry - riders who are anal about horsepower,1/4mle and top speed figures are best left there...you got it,how it goes on the road or track says it all."

I have decided that, since I am not interested in circuit racing anyway, the 1/4 mile is my track. It suits both the bikes characteristics and mine.

Motu
21st January 2004, 06:34
Zigactly,they are only usefull as a comparison for modifications - using the same machine of course.I had mine dynoed before and after an exhaust change...no change.

Deano
1st February 2004, 18:29
I tried BT012 but they wore out pretty quick - Have got BT010's now and I get about 3000k out of rear, a bit more from the front, but depends heavily on open day track time which eats the tyres up twice as fast, especially the rear rhs.

Had MEZ23 racing to start with which were good too, but tried Bridgestones due to peer pressure. Now all the boys seem to rave about Diablos.