PDA

View Full Version : Mileage won't turn over. Will she get a wof?

Tryhard
10th November 2011, 21:16
Hi guyz my speedo works but the travel distance wont turn over. Will the bike get a wof or do I need a new unit?
Thanx for your help

yachtie10
10th November 2011, 22:06
Hi guyz my speedo works but the travel distance wont turn over. Will the bike get a wof or do I need a new unit?
Thanx for your help

how would they know?

riffer
10th November 2011, 22:07
I reckon you can probably get away with it for at least one warrant. After that you'll need to trailer it to the WOF centre or they won't believe your mileage is working.

ellipsis
11th November 2011, 00:24
...stop being silly, immediately...its incessant around here...disconcerting, to say the least...

unstuck
11th November 2011, 05:47
how would they know?

Because the odo reading gets recorded onto the computer and if it does not change between wof's then they are probably going to know that your odo is kaput.:nono:

FJRider
11th November 2011, 05:53
The speedometer HAS to work ... however the ODOMETER is NOT a requirement for a WOF ....

ajturbo
11th November 2011, 06:00
the ODOMETER on the turbo has not worked for over 5 years

unstuck
11th November 2011, 06:03
So why do they record it then? I thought it was a requirement, mind you that is what I got told by a wof inspector in auckland years ago. :confused:

scumdog
11th November 2011, 06:22
Had to get another speedo head for a 'rolla I had years ago.

But that was because the odometer had been 'clocked' prior to me buying the car - and at one stage it recorded I had done about 300,000km in about 50 metres of travel.:confused:, ergo I had done about 315,000km in six months

So they failed its wof for that.

pete-blen
11th November 2011, 06:44
at one stage it recorded I had done about 300,000km in about 50 metres of travel.:confused:,

Sounds like sustained loss of traction...:Police:

Jantar
11th November 2011, 06:53
It is my understanding that for a WoF you must have a working speedometer. An odometere is not neccessary. However for tax puporses (RUC on diesels) an odometer or hubometer is needed. If your bike is not subject to RUC then you don't need an odometer. There are some bikes out there that don't have them when new, only hour meters.

george formby
11th November 2011, 09:19
My GF's old car had the same problem / benefit. Nobody noticed in 6 years.

spinergy
11th November 2011, 13:08
I wouldn't worry, it will help the resale value too :whistle:

Ender EnZed
11th November 2011, 13:46
I wouldn't worry, it will help the resale value too :whistle:

Not if you get a second wof before fixing it and have a record of the odometer not working. Typing any plate number into carjam.co.nz will give you the distance recorded at each wof for years back. Anything with a faulty odometer tends to get treated with much suspicion and be worth much less than otherwise.

scumdog
11th November 2011, 15:48
It is my understanding that for a WoF you must have a working speedometer. An odometere is not neccessary. However for tax puporses (RUC on diesels) an odometer or hubometer is needed. If your bike is not subject to RUC then you don't need an odometer. There are some bikes out there that don't have them when new, only hour meters.

Forgot to mention; my 'rola was a diesel!

durp
15th November 2011, 11:30
They wont check for it. You'll pass fine.