PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki TS185 ER transformation project

Matariki
17th November 2011, 22:21
Recently I bought my new motorcycle, a Suzuki TS 185 ER and this summer I have planned to have a go at modifying it and upgrading some of its components.

My goal is to get it from looking like this:

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/87/193470787_full.jpg

To looking like this:

http://p1.bikepics.com/2007%5C03%5C25%5Cbikepics-841537-800.jpg

I intend to keep the original color scheme of the motorcycle, however I would like to look into changing the lights to LED, installing a bigger tank, new seat, rear carrier, and maybe if possible installing digital instruments.

For those that are experienced in modifying motorcycles, what sort of parts would you be looking at?
Where would you recommend I should look for parts?
Which area of the motorcycle should I start on?
What sort of tools should I be investing in?
Any advice you could give to a newbie like myself?

My father has some basic knowlegde in mechanics and has experience in installing electrical parts, so hes keen to offer me a hand. I hoping this will be a great father and daughter project for us, however neither of us have any extensive knowlegde in the area of motorcycles. So hopefully in asking for advice and tips you guys might be able to help out. :innocent:

Sable
18th November 2011, 04:28
why bother

Paul in NZ
18th November 2011, 06:46
Decide if its to be a cosmetic or functional upgrade.

The bike already looks pretty good so the first thing is to ride it a fair bit and see what needs changing and what does not. Make any structural / fabrication changes before you tear it to bits and do the cosmetics. That way you can test the changes and see if they work.

Matariki
18th November 2011, 14:31
Hmm...

I was thinking because the modified version of the Suzuki TS 185 looks like a Suzuki DR200SE I wonder if the same parts would fit?

Transalper
19th November 2011, 09:31
Surely summer is for riding, winter is for projects.
After all the fuss choosing a bike you now want to park it up ? :crazy:

Making it look a bit like a DR200 won't make it handle like a DR200.
Tanks, seats, headlights, replacing stuff that ain't broke is all money somewhat wasted IMO. Ride it, break it then fix it.
ok maybe the headlight is a bit ugly so that could go, that shouldn't be too difficult but will cost a fair few tanks of gas and you'll have to check whether you have a bike that runs 6 volts or 12.

I've also noticed a lot of LED light's (blinkers and tail lights) don't seem to show up so well when the sun is shining on them. I don't think they are as safe as conventional bulbs, my opinion again.

jellywrestler
19th November 2011, 10:23
take a trip to paihiatua the dealer there has a loads of NOS TS parts. they bought Suzuki New Zealands entire stock when they were offloading it

Matariki
25th November 2011, 11:18
Decide if its to be a cosmetic or functional upgrade.

The bike already looks pretty good so the first thing is to ride it a fair bit and see what needs changing and what does not. Make any structural / fabrication changes before you tear it to bits and do the cosmetics. That way you can test the changes and see if they work.

Mainly cosmetic at this stage. Though I need to take it about and around the place before I consider any functional upgrades. I will most definitely be changing the tries and most likely the brake pads and installing a rack on the back before hitting the road.

Matariki
25th November 2011, 11:23
Surely summer is for riding, winter is for projects.
After all the fuss choosing a bike you now want to park it up ? :crazy:

Making it look a bit like a DR200 won't make it handle like a DR200.
Tanks, seats, headlights, replacing stuff that ain't broke is all money somewhat wasted IMO. Ride it, break it then fix it.
ok maybe the headlight is a bit ugly so that could go, that shouldn't be too difficult but will cost a fair few tanks of gas and you'll have to check whether you have a bike that runs 6 volts or 12.

I've also noticed a lot of LED light's (blinkers and tail lights) don't seem to show up so well when the sun is shining on them. I don't think they are as safe as conventional bulbs, my opinion again.

Its mainly cosmetic, I know it won't ride like a DR200, for me it doesn't have to, but I really like some of the cosmetic features the DR200 has.
Interesting note about the LED lights, I tend to do allot of night riding so I'm more looking for something that will offer the furthest beam distance and that will be the most noticeable to other drivers.

ellipsis
25th November 2011, 13:01
I'm more looking for something that will be the most noticeable to other drivers.

....red and blue flashing ones would work...

Matariki
25th November 2011, 14:09
....red and blue flashing ones would work...

Lol, then everyone would think I'm a cop! :shifty:

pete-blen
27th November 2011, 12:12
just ride the thing....
The TS is a good bike...
but its a 70s design that
was slightly up dated in
the 80s... thats what it
is & thats what it will always be..

Going by the type of bikes yer talk about..
that you intend to go off the seal..
So in that case...

Maybe a set of bark busters on
the handle bars.. they are worth
every cent.... just for the hassels
they save in broken levers...
A rack on the rear....
Smaller more compact flashers...

keep yer $$$$$$$ for yer next bike...
ride it & enjoy it for what it is...

Conquiztador
1st March 2012, 22:26
FWIW: I have learnt NEVER to start modifying the bike I ride. Reason is simple: A weekends job so quickly turns in to a month as other things in life tends to interfear with plans. And you miss out on all that riding. My recommendation is to have a bike you ride and one you modify. Then once you have completed the modifications on one and she is all ready to be used you can get stuck in to the other. These days I just HATE working on a bike when it is a nice riding day/weekend.

Apart from that do what YOU want to the bike. That is why it is called customizing. Nobody will have the same taste as you have.