PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Trophy stuff

CRM
18th November 2011, 09:16
Now I've received my Trophy :second: I thought I might start a thread so that others can add their experience and wisdom.

I picked it up the day before yesterday, sorted out the insurance and rego yesterday morning and then rode to Auckland and back to visit clients (350 odd km return).

First lesson - DO NOT USE DISK LOCK (and forget it's on the bike) :no:. I put the lock on Wed evening because I hadn't sorted out the insurance yet and it would be annoying if it got stolen while not insured :devil2:. So Wed morning after sorting out the insurance (only $287pa with $250 excess from Protecta :Punk:) I very excitedly uncover my new baby to ride down and do the change of ownership and put some rego on it. Backing out...CRUNCH :confused: :shit: - cracked bits of front guard lying on driveway :(:angry2::brick:.

After calming down proceded to get sorted and ride to Auckland - all in all a great experience.

Passing power is exceptional :eek:. Likes to cruise at somewhat in excess of speed limit :eek:. Likes to go around corners (within reason) :wings:. I had a couple of minor scares - one coming into a roadworks area where the car ahead suddenly braked - had a couple of moments of two wheel drift before it broke through :sweatdrop - then coming over the Bryderwyns on the way back I was pushing it a bit and the back broke loose - I assume on some oil or something :confused: - a bit of a moment but she shook her head and continued on track.

Lane splitting through Auckland wasn't too much of a drama - if the front can fit the panniers should follow. I noticed after I stopped the fan went for a couple of minutes - so I assume they heat up a bit at low speed at lights etc.

I notice it gets heaps of attention being a little bit rare and a very attractive looking bike :love:.

Fuel consumption is about what I expected - around 45mpg for mixed riding - higher than the Transalp I had at about 50 (mind you if I asked the TA to do what the Trophy was doing it would probably have used as much gas) and about the same or maybe a bit lower than my VFR800 which seemed to only give about 40mpg.

Interesting to compare to the VFR. VFR has almost as much HP and a higher top speed than the Trophy, but the torque on the Trophy is phenomenal - amazing roll-on in any gear from almost any speed where with the VFR you had to get it up over 7000rpm to get the real action going on. It's not that much heavier than the VFR - only 20 or so kilos, and because its a bit lower it feels light and easy to maneuver at low speed. Also much better seating position and bar height and wind protection for me than the VFR - and factory integrated panniers. So in real-world practicality the Trophy is winner.

Comfort is good except for my hands - especially right hand - got a bit numb - I wonder if because the grips being quite small and the throttle being quite strongly sprung. Also it takes a bit more effort to turn than the TA which was very light - possibly as my technique improves that will get better. Also fitting some hotgrips will increase the size of the grips.

So apart from messing with the front guard - a very pleasant start to the relationship:first:.

Things I'd like to add:
12v socket for radar detector :Police: and
iPhone mount for using GPS etc
Adjustable screen - it's great in the warm weather but in the rain I think a little more height would be nice:baby:
Hot grips - maybe even the velcro on type so I wouldn't have to destroy those beautiful Triumph grips.
A new front guard :no: - I'll try to glue it up - hopefully that will help
Maybe get some work done on the seat - my wife doesn't like sitting up high so maybe could get that dropped a bit - but she hasn't been on it yet so I'll see what the verdict is first:corn:.

Anybody got any good tips or suggestions?

CRM
18th November 2011, 16:40
I met a guy in the street today (as you do) who used to have one the same. He said the Metzeler tyres aren't great on them if you are cornering them hard - they tend to "step out" like what I experienced - okay if you are aware of it and stay relaxed but can get you in trouble if you panic :no:. good job I didn't have time to panic :niceone:.

CRM
24th November 2011, 16:47
Rode to Orewa and back today - stopped at Wenderholm and took some pics - see below.

I'm finding her smooth as butter. The only issue I'm having is numb hands - right hand in particular. Not sure if it's the small grips and the slight leaning forward position :confused:. Any ideas?

DR650gary
19th December 2011, 15:53
[QUOTE=CRM;1130201585The only issue I'm having is numb hands - right hand in particular. Not sure if it's the small grips and the slight leaning forward position :confused:. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Throttle-Rocker-Motorcycle-Right-Lever-Cruise-Control-/380330087849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588d7095a9#ht_2074wt_952

Told you you'd like it :innocent:

CRM
19th December 2011, 15:55
Just did a trip to Christchurch and back last week on the Trophy - about 2600km. The Trophy performed very well and proved to be very comfortable. The longest day was coming back last Friday from Wellington to Whangarei - over 11 hours by the time I ran out of gas in National Park 4km short of the petrol station then hit a downpour on the Southern motorway in Auckland that got me stuck in traffic way too long <_<.

I got some "Grip Puppies" for the bars and they helped a lot to minimise vibration and numb hands but after nearly 12 hours I was pretty much ready to stop :no:.

I've got some fuel leaking issues around the filler cap (which is why when I filled in Wellington I left the level lower - still thinking I would get 300km before needing to fill - wrong :shutup:). Thank God for the AA :yes:.

I normally fill it around 250-280km and it takes up to 20 litres. The tank only holds 22 litres.

The only other issue I have with it is that the Scott Oiler doesn't seem to work no matter how I adjust it. Must be blocked or something - so just using regular chain lube for now :facepalm:

I'm still struggling a little with the handling - getting confident over cornering. I suspect new tyres will change that considerably as there seems to be a discernable wiggle as you go over the edge of the flat spot in the rear tyre :shutup: - a bit of a worry on a heavy bike as you are piling on the torque out of a corner.

She's a cool machine though - loving the instant-everywhere go - no need to wind up the revs to keep going her at a nice clip :Punk:

CRM
19th December 2011, 15:58
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Throttle-Rocker-Motorcycle-Right-Lever-Cruise-Control-/380330087849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588d7095a9#ht_2074wt_952

Told you you'd like it :innocent:

Yeah they are an awesome machine - pity they stopped making them in 2003. I really like the Triumph design and finish and the fact that it's got real attitude yet is a great touring bike.

blackdog
19th December 2011, 17:26
1200 Trophy.

Thank me later.

You're welcome.

Flip
21st December 2011, 11:11
I had one for 80,000km,

Things to watchout,
Mine did not like water, it used to miss if the HT area was wet.
They have small inline fuel filters inside the fuel lines, where the hoses push into the carbs, they cause problems if they have any dirt in them at all. If you find the reserve slow, vapour locks when it is hot etc clean them out.
Get the scott oiler working, I did 66,000km on the last chain after fitting one.
The rear shocks are weak, have bugger all compression dampening and a very soft spring, its easy to overload the bike 2 up. There are lots of after market ones available.
It takes GSXR front pads, lots of cheap good quality choices available.
I used to run Bridgestone BT23 tyres, never had an issue with them.
I fitted an expensive air cleaner and had the carbs re jetted it was worth 6 HP, I just cant remember the brand at the moment.

Dont but any parts off Triumph NZ, I paid for some and they took my money and ran!

CRM
22nd December 2011, 09:58
I had one for 80,000km,

Things to watchout,
Mine did not like water, it used to miss if the HT area was wet.
They have small inline fuel filters inside the fuel lines, where the hoses push into the carbs, they cause problems if they have any dirt in them at all. If you find the reserve slow, vapour locks when it is hot etc clean them out.
Get the scott oiler working, I did 66,000km on the last chain after fitting one.
The rear shocks are weak, have bugger all compression dampening and a very soft spring, its easy to overload the bike 2 up. There are lots of after market ones available.
It takes GSXR front pads, lots of cheap good quality choices available.
I used to run Bridgestone BT23 tyres, never had an issue with them.
I fitted an expensive air cleaner and had the carbs re jetted it was worth 6 HP, I just cant remember the brand at the moment.

Dont but any parts off Triumph NZ, I paid for some and they took my money and ran!

Thanks for that - I've not had any problems with water yet even though I've been through a couple of serious downpours. I did find it hard to start after switching to reserve once so the fuel filters may be an issue.

The shock seems fine on mine - might be something that shows up at higher mileage I guess. Not sure that I want any more horsepower at this stage :wacko: - it would be nice to get better fuel economy though which a free-flowing air filter might achieve. Some nice-sounding pipes would be awesome too :banana:.

Cheers

CRM
22nd December 2011, 10:00
You're welcome.

:niceone: much appreciated

Flip
24th December 2011, 08:45
Mine used to run on 3 when it was left out in the rain over night. I never did find out why.

Big Dave
29th December 2011, 13:17
Get a spare coil or two and put 'in stock'. They will fail.

K&N air filter. It will need re-jetting though.

Neptune mufflers make a nice set of cans.

The standard rear shock is a older Kyaba and is not very good (if still original that is). Put a good one on and you'll be amazed at the difference in handling.
With Race tech cartridge emulators and Ohlins springs in the front make it a very tidy handler.

'Dame Edna Triumph' (search it) is a Yahoo Group of enthusiasts and Mik has Ride Height Adjusters available. Very good addition too.

Happy trails.

CRM
4th January 2012, 10:56

K&N air filter. It will need re-jetting though.

Neptune mufflers make a nice set of cans.

The standard rear shock is a older Kyaba and is not very good (if still original that is). Put a good one on and you'll be amazed at the difference in handling.
With Race tech cartridge emulators and Ohlins springs in the front make it a very tidy handler.

'Dame Edna Triumph' (search it) is a Yahoo Group of enthusiasts and Mik has Ride Height Adjusters available. Very good addition too.

Happy trails.

Thanks mate - will keep an eye out for the above.

Just got it in the workshop today getting them to try to fix a leak around the filler cap and get the Scott oiler going.

DR650gary
4th January 2012, 22:12
Thanks mate - will keep an eye out for the above.

Just got it in the workshop today getting them to try to fix a leak around the filler cap and get the Scott oiler going.

Get the right oil for the scottoiler. It is temperature sensitive. Blue or red. Run it on "Prime" for a while to ensure you have a clog free flow, If not, clean the feed line then look at the vacuum line from the carb nipple. Make sure you seal/close all input holes.

Cheers

Winston001
5th January 2012, 19:09
Always liked the Trophy and its a mystery to me why Triumph stopped making them. The Honda ST carried on and was a winner. BMW have recognised the touring/sports market for decades with strong sales.

Big Dave
5th January 2012, 19:17
Always liked the Trophy and its a mystery to me why Triumph stopped making them.

The Tiger took its sales away.

It will return to their lineup shortly if all those spy photos are kosher.

CRM
26th January 2012, 21:17

I see you are a prophet :facepalm:

Riding around the North Island this week it started to missfire. Coming up from Wanganui today it got really bad - running on 2 or three cylinders and hardly able to make 100km/h. I stopped at the Honda dealers at Taumarunui and got them to see what they thought. They tested the battery and found that it didn't seem to be charging. I was running my iPhone Tomtom GPS App off a plug I installed last week and disconnecting that seemed to help it a bit - enough to at least get to Hamilton with some improvement.

Reading some forums it sounds like this could be the coil symptoms - but would that also tend to drain the battery? I don't want to buy new coils if it is a charging issue but neither do I want to pay a mechanic to spend a day checking everything then find out I could have just replaced the coils and all would be fine :confused:.

I sounds like reading the forums that a company called Nology (www.nology.com) makes better coils that are cheaper than the OEM Triumph ones. Anyone got these and can recommend? They list a NZ company called Autopia Ltd in Chch as NZ distributors. Anybody heard of them?

Big Dave
26th January 2012, 21:49
It's 5 years since I owned my Trophy but Nology rings a bell as being the preferred replacement.

More a 'known issue' and personal experience than prediction - frustrating I know - I kept spares in the shed - my T'bird chewed a few out too.

Also check the timing pickup. They have been known to fail and cause a miss too, but my money is on coils.

CRM
27th January 2012, 14:14
It's 5 years since I owned my Trophy but Nology rings a bell as being the preferred replacement.

More a 'known issue' and personal experience than prediction - frustrating I know - I kept spares in the shed - my T'bird chewed a few out too.

Also check the timing pickup. They have been known to fail and cause a miss too, but my money is on coils.

Yeah thanks for that. I limped home from Hamilton this morning a couple of cylinders down most of the time. I called at the Triumph dealers in Te Rapa for a chat and the guy in the workshop there was very helpful. He said if the valves haven't been adjusted for a while (which they haven't) start there, then check the coil. He said they do foul plugs easily and tend to run too rich and once fouled don't clear easily - so new plugs most likely required - then look at things like the in-line fuel filters etc if still not going right.

It will be nice to have it running properly again - it's especially awkward trying to do tight turns and pulling out of petrol stations etc when it's loaded up heavy and running badly - I had a couple of moments :shutup:. Also when you go to overtake and not sure how many cylinders you are getting :no:.

Apart from that I gave the Triumph a good run around the North Island and it was very pleasant - Whangarei-Rotorua-Napier-Masterton-Wanganui-Hamilton-Whangarei. The Scott Oiler worked well. I do need some new tyres though. I'm thinking Michelin Pilot Road 2's (the 3's sound good but way expensive).

Shot below of a local from Wanganui yesterday getting cosy with the Trophy - thought it was kind of cute.

dogsnbikes
27th January 2012, 14:48
Apart from that I gave the Triumph a good run around the North Island and it was very pleasant - Whangarei-Rotorua-Napier-Masterton-Wanganui-Hamilton-Whangarei. The Scott Oiler worked well. I do need some new tyres though. I'm thinking Michelin Pilot Road 2's (the 3's sound good but way expensive).

Shot below of a local from Wanganui yesterday getting cosy with the Trophy - thought it was kind of cute.

I have a road 2 on the rear and a conti on the front

TBH the conti is shit so will be replacing it with a road 3 very shortly and will put road 3 on the rear when the road 2 is retired as its near new and was on the bike when we picked it up last week

This week I have done Chain and sprokets,rear brake pads,rear wheel bearing as there was 2 different rated bearings in the hub and new battery as what it had was shit and under powered for the bike...next on the list is front pads and cheak front bearings

I have a lighter plug and hotgrips that I will be installing at a later stage

I discovered that my trophy is UK new with its first service done by ONGAR MOTOCYCLES,DUNMOW, ESSEX and was sold in Wanganui in April 2006 to a fella in Nth Canterbury and has only travelled 10'000 miles in the last six years

CRM
30th January 2012, 15:24
I have a road 2 on the rear and a conti on the front

TBH the conti is shit so will be replacing it with a road 3 very shortly and will put road 3 on the rear when the road 2 is retired as its near new and was on the bike when we picked it up last week

This week I have done Chain and sprokets,rear brake pads,rear wheel bearing as there was 2 different rated bearings in the hub and new battery as what it had was shit and under powered for the bike...next on the list is front pads and cheak front bearings

I have a lighter plug and hotgrips that I will be installing at a later stage

I discovered that my trophy is UK new with its first service done by ONGAR MOTOCYCLES,DUNMOW, ESSEX and was sold in Wanganui in April 2006 to a fella in Nth Canterbury and has only travelled 10'000 miles in the last six years

Yeah I really liked the Pilot Road 2's I had on my VFR800. Cycletreads has them on sale at present for $289 for rear and $209 for a front. 3's are $399 :gob:and $279:shit:. So I think I'll go for the 2's this time round :blink:.

dogsnbikes
30th January 2012, 15:39
I found by running a Road2 rear and pilot power2 front on the Daytona I was changing both my tyres at the same...It will be interesting to see what I am running on the trophy in 12 months but I suspect it will be road 3 rear and pilot2 up the front or something similar.I will be putting the road 3 front on the trophy soon and going back to a pilot power 2 front on the daytona....

CRM
1st February 2012, 15:28
Just got the Trophy in the shop and yes - one coil is very weak and the other isn't flash either so I've ordered some replacements from Nology. I used Triumph Performance Parts in Australia as the local distributor in Chch must have gone down in the quake. Cost is about $310NZ plus freight for a pair. The Triumph ones were $325 each. Plus the Nology ones are apparently much betterer :baby:. part number is 152-001-70T and two are required.

Also ordered some new tyres from Cycletreads - a pair of Conti Attacks on special for $378 all up - cheaper than one Pilot 3 :msn-wink:. I like deals.

So with the coils, tyres and getting the mechanic to do the valves and set the carbs and change the oil plus put in the Nology's and fit the new tyres is all going to add up to a bit :confused:. But hey - someone's got to keep the economy going :baby:

dogsnbikes
1st February 2012, 20:25
Just got the Trophy in the shop and yes - one coil is very weak and the other isn't flash either so I've ordered some replacements from Nology. I used Triumph Performance Parts in Australia as the local distributor in Chch must have gone down in the quake. Cost is about $310NZ plus freight for a pair. The Triumph ones were $325 each. Plus the Nology ones are apparently much betterer :baby:. part number is 152-001-70T and two are required.

Out of interest in ref to coils how many k's has your trophy done??

CRM
2nd February 2012, 12:53
Out of interest in ref to coils how many k's has your trophy done??

54,000km. I got it at 49,000 and it was running pretty well - it was just over the last 1000 that it just got worse and worse :violin:

CRM
17th February 2012, 10:47
Trophy still in shop :angry:. The mechanic installed the one Nology coil to replace the :buggerd: one but tells me the spark is so much better than the standard Triumph one that he's reluctant to finish the tuning as he'd have to set up the carbs different - plus it takes quite a bit of work to get into the coils - so he's suggesting I wait for the second one on back order to arrive...:no:

I can definitely see the point but that could take a while and the nice weather is slipping away :mellow:. So anyone got a spare Nology 152-001-70T floating around they could flick me :innocent:- - then I can replace it for you when the backordered one arrives...

Hey it's worth asking:sunny:.

dogsnbikes
17th February 2012, 10:58
Have swapped the Front PR3 from the Daytona to the Trophy so will be nice too see how it handles on our way to katikati today I hear there's some rain in the air :yawn:

Interesting about the coils,I may order some soon then at least I will have them in stock,

CRM
17th February 2012, 11:10
Have swapped the Front PR3 from the Daytona to the Trophy so will be nice too see how it handles on our way to katikati today I hear there's some rain in the air :yawn:

Interesting about the coils,I may order some soon then at least I will have them in stock,

Yeah they are definitely a good investment. There's a good article on them here (http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-ignition-coils/). I'm interested to see how they affect the fuel economy as apparently they can make quite a difference.

The trick seems to be order them before you need them :shutup:. Go careful in that rain :scooter:.

CRM
2nd March 2012, 09:12
Got the Trophy back from the shop on Tuesday :banana:. I couldn't wait for the second coil to arrive so just running with one Nology and one original :crazy:. Also has the new tyres on - got Conti Attacks at a good deal from CycleTreads :2thumbsup.

The bike is running very sweet after having the new coil, valves adjusted and a tune up. Less vibration - I guess from the valve adjustment. Fuel economy shows no improvement though (worse if anything :eek5:)- still around 6.5 litres/100 km or 43 mpg or 15 km/litre.

The Conti's are great. I rode to Aucks yesterday - it was wet on the way and they worked okay apart from a bit of skittering up the Bryderwyns on smooth wet tar (probably still losing their new tyre coating). In the dry coming back they were predictable and good feel - very pleased with the choice for the Trophy :cool:. As you can see from the pix not been right to the edges yet - had a couple of scares with the old Metzelers so getting used to these gradually :baby:.

dogsnbikes
2nd March 2012, 09:40

The bike is running very sweet after having the new coil, valves adjusted and a tune up. Less vibration - I guess from the valve adjustment. Fuel economy shows no improvement though (worse if anything :eek5:)- still around 6.5 litres/100 km or 43 mpg or 15 km/litre.

Gave the 12 A good service last week,cheakied the Shim's,cam chain,new plugs and airfilter changed the gearing and its running sweet and even the reserve tap works now looking forward too the run this weekend

CRM
2nd March 2012, 12:11
Gave the 12 A good service last week,cheakied the Shim's,cam chain,new plugs and airfilter changed the gearing and its running sweet and even the reserve tap works now looking forward too the run this weekend

What have you changed the gearing to? Interested to know what sort of fuel mileage you get. Mine cruising at say 120 indicated gets 6.5-7.0 l/100 km - say 40-45mpg. Have you got standard pipes on yours? I was thinking yesterday how I'd like to hear a bit more of that lovely engine and de-restrict it a bit :Punk:. Staintune did some but I can't find on their site now. This guy (http://youtu.be/PGeXDo04P1g) has drilled some holes in the end for better sound :crazy:. Not sure about that whether it de-resrticts or just sounds louder..

dogsnbikes
2nd March 2012, 12:26
What have you changed the gearing to? Interested to know what sort of fuel mileage you get. Mine cruising at say 120 indicated gets 6.5-7.0 l/100 km - say 40-45mpg. Have you got standard pipes on yours? I was thinking yesterday how I'd like to hear a bit more of that lovely engine and de-restrict it a bit :Punk:. Staintune did some but I can't find on their site now. This guy (http://youtu.be/PGeXDo04P1g) has drilled some holes in the end for better sound :crazy:. Not sure about that whether it de-resrticts or just sounds louder..

Am now running 18/40 as it should be,not the 18/44 it was which was giving me 200k/tank of fuel just reving too high I will have a better idea after this weekend what the milage is...yes still standard pipes but am looking at a set of Two brother mufflers to go on later in the year and since TB dont do a kit for the trophy it will be a mix kit but similar too what they have to the ST1300 has

CRM
8th March 2012, 15:36
Am now running 18/40 as it should be,not the 18/44 it was which was giving me 200k/tank of fuel just reving too high I will have a better idea after this weekend what the milage is...yes still standard pipes but am looking at a set of Two brother mufflers to go on later in the year and since TB dont do a kit for the trophy it will be a mix kit but similar too what they have to the ST1300 has

Yeah 200 km isn't great... i went to Auckland yesterday a apart from some roadworks and a bad 45mins around Carrington/NW motorway it was a clear run - got 250km before hitting reserve - 20litres to fill. Did another 230km to next fill - 17 litres - not great :(

dogsnbikes
8th March 2012, 15:54
Yeah 200 km isn't great... i went to Auckland yesterday a apart from some roadworks and a bad 45mins around Carrington/NW motorway it was a clear run - got 250km before hitting reserve - 20litres to fill. Did another 230km to next fill - 17 litres - not great :(

I found over the weekend I had great milage

Monday did a run from Auckland to Raglan then to Katikati and got 224.6miles or 359.36ks that was on 24litres at 60-65mph so still had a liter in the tank Maybe

CRM
7th May 2012, 17:07
I found over the weekend I had great milage

Monday did a run from Auckland to Raglan then to Katikati and got 224.6miles or 359.36ks that was on 24litres at 60-65mph so still had a liter in the tank Maybe

I have both Nology coils in mine now and its running very sweet :shifty: but economy is pretty poor - around 7.5 litres/100km or about 37mpg. That puts the theoretical range at about 330km right to empty. I rode to Taupo on Thursday and back on Friday with my daughter on her new (2003) SV650. I would consistently put in 50% more gas than her (she would put in say 12 litres I would put in 18 say). I guess that's okay seeing my bike with me and gear all up would weigh about 340kg and she would be about 240 max. Plus I've got nearly double the CC's. But it still hurts to get worse economy than my old Civic :confused:

Wondering if changing the gearing to be taller might help?

dogsnbikes
7th May 2012, 18:25
I have both Nology coils in mine now and its running very sweet :shifty: but economy is pretty poor - around 7.5 litres/100km or about 37mpg. That puts the theoretical range at about 330km right to empty. I rode to Taupo on Thursday and back on Friday with my daughter on her new (2003) SV650. I would consistently put in 50% more gas than her (she would put in say 12 litres I would put in 18 say). I guess that's okay seeing my bike with me and gear all up would weigh about 340kg and she would be about 240 max. Plus I've got nearly double the CC's. But it still hurts to get worse economy than my old Civic :confused:

Wondering if changing the gearing to be taller might help?

You could trying going one tooth bigger in the front, what revs are you pulling at say 60mph??

Flip
8th May 2012, 18:53
Mine only ever did 7 l/100km. When I used to pick the speed up it used to drink fuel.

CRM
16th May 2012, 10:34
You could trying going one tooth bigger in the front, what revs are you pulling at say 60mph??

Mine doesn't miles an hour :no: Haven't been out to test this out as yet. I assume it's standard gearing but could be wrong.

CRM
16th May 2012, 10:36
Mine only ever did 7 l/100km. When I used to pick the speed up it used to drink fuel.

Yeah I guess there is a cost to speed and power and coolness :confused:.

dogsnbikes
16th May 2012, 11:52
Mine doesn't miles an hour :no: Haven't been out to test this out as yet. I assume it's standard gearing but could be wrong.

Go with a 100kph,I find mine is most eco at 60mph which is around 96kph

CRM
30th May 2012, 21:25
Go with a 100kph,I find mine is most eco at 60mph which is around 96kph

I rode Whangarei to Hamilton today, going back tomorrow via Tauranga. Was pretty cold and I was thinking how big tourers like the Trophy are about the only way to go for long-distance all year round riding - so nicely tucked in against most of the weather. Maybe I'm just getting old and soft :baby:. 100km/hr is about 3600RPM - I find cruising at an indicated 120 at about 4000RPM (probably 110 actual I would think) she is in a :niceone: zone without risking the wrath of the :Police:.

Flip
31st May 2012, 15:18
At 120 I spend a lot of time catching up and passing cars. When passing I am going 140ish and then you are in the cop zone.

CRM
1st June 2012, 08:58
At 120 I spend a lot of time catching up and passing cars. When passing I am going 140ish and then you are in the cop zone.

I had my Tomtom running on my iPhone which gave true KPH (apparently) - 120 indicated is actually 113 according to the Tomtom app. So I tend to travel around the 110 indicated mark and speed up a bit while overtaking - but with the Trophy overtaking is never a drama :cool:.

On my round trip Whangarei/Hamilton/Tauranga/Whangarei I averaged 7.5 litres/100km - about 38mpg. That's with nitrogen in the tyres at 42 rear and 36 front me at 80kg plus riding gear and probably another 20kg in the panniers. I tend to fill up around the 260-280km mark which is around 20-21 litres. It's not a great range unfortunately.

ratusratus
9th June 2012, 09:18
I had a 2002 Trophy and man did it suck the fuel down!!!
On our trip down south the bike drank more than me :-(

Flip
17th June 2012, 09:19
There is only really one place and time I really miss my 1200 Trophy, that is when I have to pass cars, the HD just doesent have the bottom end punch of the T1200.

I never really worrried about the fuel consumption but mine used to do 7-7.5/100km from memory. It had a K+N air cleaner and had been rejetted and tuned.

CRM
20th June 2012, 14:39
There is only really one place and time I really miss my 1200 Trophy, that is when I have to pass cars, the HD just doesent have the bottom end punch of the T1200.

I never really worrried about the fuel consumption but mine used to do 7-7.5/100km from memory. It had a K+N air cleaner and had been rejetted and tuned.

Yeah it seems thats pretty standard for them after looking around on the net a bit. That's my main issue with the Trophy as it limites the range to about 300km to be safe - she's a bit heavy to push far.:(

I love the bottom end punch too - I had a VFR800 that made about the same HP but didn't have that roll-on boogie from anywhere :headbang: - you had to be in the right gear and RPM to get her to do the big rush :eek:.

CRM
29th June 2012, 21:18
Got my little Trophy on TradeMe - figure if I sell it I'll sort out my overdraft and maybe buy a cheap bike in the meantime until I can get another tourer: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=487750495

She's all sorted out and going great so if anyone wants a well set up Trophy here she is. Even has nitrogen in the tyres :cool:.