PDA

View Full Version : ADVGD's DRZ400E ADV Build

ADVGD
19th November 2011, 18:27
The bike still has a list of things to complete (mainly crashbars and luggage fabrication) but should only be about a week away from completion. I'll come back and do a full build report but in the meantime here's a few preview pics...

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/142/images/DRZ400-adv-build-preview-0.jpg

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/142/images/DRZ400-adv-build-preview-1.jpg

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/142/images/DRZ400-adv-build-preview-2.jpg

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/142/images/DRZ400-adv-build-preview-3.jpg

CrazyFrog
19th November 2011, 18:36
Very nice job you fancy git.
Liking the steering damper, Vapor dash with extras, GPS mount, comfort seat, oh, and the KTM EXC front guard :yes:

What's all them clicky switches for Mister?

Woodman
19th November 2011, 19:19
Looks bloody sharp.

Also want to know what all the switches and screens on the dash are for.

ADVGD
19th November 2011, 19:52
…and the KTM EXC front guard :yes:

I wondered who it would be to pick up it was a KTM guard, no flies on you mate ;)

What's all them clicky switches for Mister?

Dash left to right:

Garmin 62s
Trail Tech Tacho/Hour meter
Trail Tech Temperature – Radiator
Trail Tech Temperature – Radiator hose lower
Trail Tech dash lights (High beam / Neutral / Turn)
Digital Volt meter
Trail Tech Striker Unit (with temp sender from block)
Switches X4
1 – Heated grips
2 – Auxiliary lighting 1
3 – Auxiliary lighting 2
4 – Kill switch override
OEM ignition

Eddieb
19th November 2011, 20:12
That is one serious looking ride. Really liking the screen, both From the front and the dash setup. Is it purchased or self made?

bart
19th November 2011, 20:41
Nice. And my favourite colour.

You must have far too much time....and money. ;)

Good on ya.

CrazyFrog
19th November 2011, 20:53
Nice. And my favourite colour.

You must have far too much time....and money. ;)

Good on ya.

Yeah, and he's still had time to maintain that lovely lawn ;)

ADVGD
19th November 2011, 21:20
That is one serious looking ride. Really liking the screen, both From the front and the dash setup. Is it purchased or self made?

Cheers Eddie, I wanted to go with something unique for this build so the screen and dash are custom built from fiberglass with a perspex insert. Truckloads of time involved building plugs and moulds for both but I'm pretty happy with the result

Squiggles
19th November 2011, 21:54
Do like the screen, your own design?

ADVGD
19th November 2011, 22:21
Do like the screen, your own design?

Cheers, I took features from a couple of enduro bikes I liked the look of the screens and designed my own version

Transalper
19th November 2011, 22:43
That's going to attract some attention when you bring it out to play. :niceone:

Benjah
20th November 2011, 08:43
Cool

What sort of DRZ400 is/was it?

tri boy
20th November 2011, 08:51
............:niceone::niceone::niceone:........... ......

pete-blen
20th November 2011, 09:01
thats a sharp looking wepon yer built there..:first:

Woodman
20th November 2011, 09:02
Hey, you fitted a kickstart. Good idea.

dino3310
20th November 2011, 09:07
looks fantastic mate, are ya gonna put all your boxes etc on the back

Night Falcon
20th November 2011, 09:10
Thunderin Cats!! :blink: Fantastic job!

Would like to add some of those farkles to the 690 but I find it difficult putting batteries in a tourch let alone atempting that sort of wiring! Masterful work :niceone:

thepom
20th November 2011, 09:11
Looks bloody great.....

buggsubique
20th November 2011, 09:41
WOW! Brilliant looking ride, awesome attention to detail. Q: Why the decompression lever? I thought they were auto or have you got new cams in? What mods have you done to the motor?

Very nice looking bike mate.

ADVGD
20th November 2011, 09:41
What sort of DRZ400 is/was it?
Road registered 2011 DRZ400E

Hey, you fitted a kickstart. Good idea.

Not having a kickstart when remote solo riding gives me the shits, on previous occasions in some remote places I have had to resort to a kickstarter, a few kicks and I was off and away again no problems, if I didn't have one I would have been in a prick of a situation. I installed the kickstart at the same time as the Rekluse clutch and finished it off with a B&B clutch case saver

ADVGD
20th November 2011, 09:52
are ya gonna put all your boxes etc on the back

For a change I'm going Wolfman soft luggage all round (with a few personalized touches), fabricating all the framing for it this week

Why the decompression lever? I thought they were auto or have you got new cams in? What mods have you done to the motor?

Unlike some models, the E model doesn't have auto decompression from factory. I'll post a full list of mods at the end of the week once it is all complete mate, the photos don't do justice to all the hidden goodies :)

Taz
20th November 2011, 11:17
Looks good.

Any more pics from the build. Found an after market 6th gear? :)

bart
20th November 2011, 12:53
Looks good.

Any more pics from the build. Found an after market 6th gear? :)

Haha. I was going to mention that. What do they say....the elephant in the room....or something like that. :laugh: The only fault I had with the DRZ was the close ratio gearbox. The fancy clutch thing may help though.

Monstaman
20th November 2011, 13:17
Very nice and clean Josh well done, look forward to seeing it on the trails.

Cary
20th November 2011, 13:34
Whats your address, i'll send the XR down for an upgrade (throw an electric leg on while your at it will ya:niceone:)

Crim
20th November 2011, 17:23
Looking great, young man - are you going to have an official unveiling ie a special overseas guest pulls a rope and the drapes are drawn up and away from the thing of beauty that we all stand round and discuss for hours while drinking champagne and eating canapes (or speights and sausage rolls)??

NordieBoy
20th November 2011, 19:59
Unlike some models, the E model doesn't have auto decompression from factory.

Manual de-comp is the shiznet for clearing a drowned engine without having to remove sparkies etc...

mattsdakar
20th November 2011, 22:30
Looking good Josh, best looking DRZ I've seen on any bike forum, can't wait to try it out :innocent:

badblackbuell
13th December 2011, 07:15
I'm so inspired I have just purchased a brand spanking new DRZ400EK9!

ADVGD
23rd December 2011, 10:28
The actual build of this bike was very enjoyable and satisfying, what was mind numbing and exceedingly frustrating about the process was the 4 months it took for everything to arrive and come together after having suppliers muck me around, multiple backorders, wrong parts turn up, broken parts turn up, parts lost in transit, parts taking weeks to arrive, a fabricator that is as reliable as drunk monkey on heroin, and many other hiccups along the way, I am stoked to finally say… job done!

So after a number of delayed starts, tomorrow morning I kick off on a 2 a month riding/flyfishing trip of the South Island GPS logging and gathering content for adventureguide.co.nz (http://www.adventureguide.co.nz)

Have a great Christmas and New Years all, see you on the DB1K :niceone:

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/142/images/DRZ400-adv-build-preview-4.jpg

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/142/images/DRZ400-adv-build-preview-5.jpg

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/142/images/DRZ400-adv-build-preview-6.jpg

dino3310
23rd December 2011, 10:47
:2thumbsupwicked mate, you could put that on the wall of cool

gav24
23rd December 2011, 11:04
:2thumbsupwicked mate, you could put that on the wall of cool

In fact please do - that threads gone to shite recently, and needs a serious NZ made contender!

JATZ
23rd December 2011, 17:57
After seeing your 250 and then this, ADVGD.... I have decided, you don't piss about when it comes to building a proper "ADV' bike.
Well done :banana: and I hope you get many k's of awsome riding on it :niceone:

GPS MAN
23rd December 2011, 18:29
Good Build..I am looking forward to seeing it at the Dusty Butt:2thumbsup

Taz
24th December 2011, 07:24
She looks a bit overloaded. Do you really need that much shit?

Padmei
24th December 2011, 07:33
Have you got the original shock in that beast?

Goose_DRZ400E
21st January 2012, 09:06
Hey mate. I've been chipping away at my own DRZ400E Adventure build since August 2011. I'm wanting to replace my stock plastics and I've also wanted to go with black.

Where did you get the side panels and rear fender from? (I don't want to buy a full kit if I can help it because I don't want the stock front fender or the shrouds as I'm planning on getting a 17L Safari tank).

Did you have any issues fitting the KTM front fender? It was suggested that I fit an RMZ front fender but I prefer the look of the KTM one.

Any ideas where to get a Black Headlight Shroud?

As far as my DRZ400E Adventure build goes at present:
Excell Rims
Ohlins rear shock
Ohlins springs and racetech valves etc in the Front forks
B&B Bash plate
MEFO Explorer tyres
Wolfman racks and soft luggage (saddle bags)
Leo Vince X3 Exhaust
Zeta Hand Guards and Fat bars
Custom top clamp with Rallye Moto steering damper.
Adventure Screen from Screens for Bikes Australia

To do list:
17L Safari tank (originally thought I'd get the translucent one but then thought why....once I know my range it shouldn't be an issue)
Seat upgrade. Seat is currently with Ray from Rayz Zadels in Netherlands. http://rayz.nl/pages/1/Motorzadels%3A (I used Google translate)
Kickstart
440cc kit (Considering only at this stage)
New Plastics (Black) with KTM front fender.

When she is all done I hope to see you out there.

Goose

ADVGD
24th January 2012, 16:53
She looks a bit overloaded. Do you really need that much shit?

Surprisingly the answer to that is yes. That was gear for just shy of a 1 month trip including all my fishing gear waders boots and all

Have you got the original shock in that beast?

At this stage yes, because I a slim and trim magnificent beast it seems to be handling the weight very well at this stage :)

Where did you get the side panels and rear fender from? (I don't want to buy a full kit if I can help it because I don't want the stock front fender or the shrouds as I'm planning on getting a 17L Safari tank).

Hi mate, sounds like a bloody good build, no doubt you'll be itching to get it finished

Stock black rear fender is standard with DRZ400E road registered version, Suzuki shop is best bet as singular OEM plastics are hard to find at good prices online
Side covers are stock white professionally painted, you can get black SM ones but all three are around $400

Did you have any issues fitting the KTM front fender? It was suggested that I fit an RMZ front fender but I prefer the look of the KTM one.

Any ideas where to get a Black Headlight Shroud?

Fender was from here http://www.mxshop.co.nz/acerbis-front-mudguard-orange-ktm-all-2-4-stroke.html
Called and asked for black, all of only $60 + freight, the guy is really good to deal with

Fender was fiddly, I have gone back to stock fender, you can have my KTM fender with DRZ brackets for $30 + freight, couple of minor marks but basically new

Stock black headlight shrouds are around the $70 from Suzuki shop

ADVGD
24th January 2012, 16:57
Click for the full DRZ400 Build article (http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/142/drz400-adv-build.php)

Buddha#81
24th January 2012, 17:38
after owning one and riding with K14 on the dusty they are possible best bang for buck mid size adventure bike ya can get.......the only place my 650R had it was on the road sections and with dirt gearing was a little buzzy, the 650 was probally a bit safer when over taking but very impressed how the DRZ400 went!

k14
24th January 2012, 17:48
after owning one and riding with K14 on the dusty they are possible best bang for buck mid size adventure bike ya can get.......the only place my 650R had it was on the road sections and with dirt gearing was a little buzzy, the 650 was probally a bit safer when over taking but very impressed how the DRZ400 went!
I think it was all down to the rider of said DRZ...