PDA

View Full Version : CB250T Project Bike

bugn8r
21st November 2011, 23:45
Hi guys, I have very recently got into bikes so after buying one I thought I better join your site! Progress will be slow as my main focus is my beetle (which has engine problems at the moment).

Not too sure what it's going to look like at the end but I have a pretty good idea in my head. I got it off Trademe for $445 and my budget (including purchase price) is $1000 so $555 to spend.
So far I have just bought handlebars and grips/throttle assembly which totaled $52

The first picture is of the bike a few weeks ago when I first got it, the next ones have been taken over the last week or two.
Bike will hopefully be sandblasted and painted this week.

Also anybody know a good place to take the dent out of the tank? oh and the tank will be painted a bright blue so if anyone has any suggestions on where to get this done that would be great(i'm in Christchurch). I'm looking for a relatively cheap job but am still after a nice finish.

Cheers
James

AllanC
22nd November 2011, 08:19
Good bike for a project, have fun with it (& good luck on trying to stick to your budget!)

Meerkatt
3rd December 2011, 09:06
Why start with paint? Might you not be better to make all the intended mods 1st and get it running and riding right before getting it pretty? You might find yourself stuffing your new paint as you work on the beast. Just a thought.

AllanC
3rd December 2011, 16:54
I think the 400 motor would just drop straight in there if you could get hold of one.

bugn8r
4th December 2011, 02:40
Well yea been a bit slow with everything (finishing up at school) but forgot to mention bodywork will be done before paint. I have a pretty good idea of what it will look like now so i've been over everything in my head haha. Yea I also heard the 400 is a plug in and play conversion so if one comes up please let me know. Talking from a completely new to motorbikes perspective will the 400 be useable as a learners bike next year when the new laws come in to place? I don't really know much about them.

James

FJRider
4th December 2011, 08:03
That would depend on it being registered as a 400 ... or a 250 ... :laugh:

A dent of that size ... just bog it up. No great amount of lost fuel capacity ... and hardly a classic or collectable model ...

A paint shop may do a deal if you get it painted at the same time as another customers item ... in a similar colour ... but not necessarily in the exact colour you want. A few $$$ saved ... etc.

AllanC
4th December 2011, 10:49
The new laws are based roughly on a power to wieght ratio I think so don't know how the 400 would rate. Most people would just keep it registered as a 250 though anyway.

FJRider
4th December 2011, 11:17
The new laws are based roughly on a power to wieght ratio I think so don't know how the 400 would rate. Most people would just keep it registered as a 250 though anyway.

Apart from the legal aspects of an engine upgrade ...Vin/Certification etc ...(cost of the bigger engine as well) ... It may comply ... if the rules actually DO change ...

but in the meantime ... get it going and ride it ...

bugn8r
19th December 2011, 23:59
Well...work is slow as I seem to be quite busy but I have been doing a couple of things. Firstly I cut the rear of the frame off and sanded etc. New shock mounts will have to be made and welded in by someone else (anyone know of a good place in Christchurch??) as I have never welded in my life! I cleaned up the brake caliper this afternoon and painted that. Is it sad that little jobs give me satisfaction once finished? haha Anyway here are some pictures.

bugn8r
4th January 2012, 22:08
Got the bike back on Christmas eve and haven't touched it since. I can't wait to see it's new stance once it's back together...

bugn8r
21st February 2012, 00:10
Haven't posted in a while but I have most of the bike done now. I had the frame and a bunch of parts sandblasted and painted, rust coated, the works which cost $322 so yea...blowing the budget but I have a new budget of $1500 which I reckon I can keep.

Picked some shocks up on TradeMe for $30 which was an awesome deal and have just bought a brand new front tyre for $26 (rear tyre good). Also got a headlight for $50 and some indicators as an xmas present from the misses. Oh and some shorty mufflers for $26. I have the final parts coming from the UK which is around $212 NZ and includes some gaskets, brand spanking new headers and some other random parts I need. Shiny headers will be nice, the old ones snapped in half they were so rusted!

Made a model for a seat last night out of wire and hose, took it to an engineer today so hopefully I'll have that soon, quoted $60 and when I get that back I can go about redoing all the electrics.

Named the bike rising sun to keep with the Japanese kinda theme, also going to use it as the tank decal. Tank to be paint cream shortly with rising sun on the side and the seat will be covered in a dark brown leather (fake).

Anyway, here are some pictures...enjoy

Would love some feedback, remember this is my first ever bike!

Last photo is bike as it sits awaiting its new seat!

hayd3n
21st February 2012, 06:38
thats look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AllanC
21st February 2012, 15:50
Coming along nicely mate. Looking forward to seeing the seat!

XRVrider
25th February 2012, 06:42
Good on ya mate. Keep up the good work, going to look good once done.

bugn8r
23rd May 2012, 16:28
I'm at uni in Wellington now so not much is being done with the bike, but I did some stuff over the holidays. Got the new headers which look awesome now just have to get some new shorty mufflers to finnish it off. Just collecting parts now, I still have to get tail light, instruments etc.

After riding the bike for the first time since starting to take it apart I discovered it doesn't change above second gear, this is because it fell over once (not properly on its stand). The gear change lever took the fall so nothing else was damaged but it seems to have bent something so next time in Christchurch I'll try and sought that out.

Anyway here are some pictures, the seat is on a metal base I got made for $80. Don't worry it's not the final cover, just a mock up to take it for a ride. Eventually it will be covered in leather and a lot slimmer with a small kick up at the back.

bugn8r
25th May 2012, 12:27
Polish the wheels or paint them black??

ducatilover
25th May 2012, 12:33
Polish! IMHO black wheels look poo.
:yes: Great looking project!

carburator
26th May 2012, 01:58
Polish! IMHO black wheels look poo.
:yes: Great looking project!

pretty sure they are steel spokes riveted onto a alloy rim?
have to have a closer look at the bosses junk pile

AllanC
26th May 2012, 09:13
pretty sure they are steel spokes riveted onto a alloy rim?
have to have a closer look at the bosses junk pile

They are, same as those on old CBs. Don't listen to Ducatilover, he polishes everything! Paint em black ( or paint the spokes black and polish the rims).

Was trying to figure out how to copy a pic from my phone and post it here but can't do, if you look under the CB400N cafe project, you'll see pics of these type of wheels painted (black of course) and polished :)

bugn8r
27th May 2012, 14:37
Yea I have been looking at quite a few recently and I think I'll polish them but depends on the colour scheme I do for the tank etc. It may be a while before anything happens with the tank though.

ducatilover
27th May 2012, 18:40
They are, same as those on old CBs. Don't listen to Ducatilover, he polishes everything! Paint em black ( or paint the spokes black and polish the rims).

It's a sickness :(

bugn8r
29th May 2012, 17:40
Will probably just clean them up to look like this, will polish the forks up as well.

bugn8r
29th May 2012, 17:47
Sorry I don't think that one worked.

AllanC
30th May 2012, 09:11
yeah, that'll work. Looks good!

G1RTH
2nd June 2012, 21:04
Nice:lol::headbang: