PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha TDM 850/900

SPman
17th July 2005, 23:43
Anyone out there got one of these - have a friend who is thinking of getting one and need some feedback from current/ex owners. :yes:

Zapf
18th July 2005, 00:32
I was looking at one of them :) quite pricy and rare... in NZ.

Kickaha
18th July 2005, 08:30
I don't own one but did a 140km ride on one of them

Not overly powewrful so it was quite easy to ride with a decent amount low down to midrange,I thought the sitting up riding position would mean a lot of wind blast but even up to an indicated 180kmh it didn't get uncomfortable, brakes were good and it stop started and steered good enough for me to really like it

it was while ago so I don't remember much more, but it belonged to KBer Brochaus and he toured NZ on it while he was over here from Austria http://marcus.fhstudent.at/website/

Motu
18th July 2005, 08:34
Oscar has one....I think.The later models run the 270 crank,same as the TRX.Seem like the ideal road bike to me.

Badcat
18th July 2005, 09:25
Oscar has one....I think.The later models run the 270 crank,same as the TRX.Seem like the ideal road bike to me.

yep - i closely looked at buying a mint one with no tank - fairings etc on trademe and building a stripped down naked from it.
turned out the guy wanted stupid money for it.
i'm with you motu, they would be a sweet road bike with all that crap removed...

sigh....

Badcat
18th July 2005, 09:27
Anyone out there got one of these - have a friend who is thinking of getting one and need some feedback from current/ex owners. :yes:

there's one at amps - too pricey though.
anbd i think red baron still has one.

ken

Oscar
18th July 2005, 09:33
I got a '93 TDM850 - it's a great road bike for an aging dirt rider, if you get my meaning. Nice seating position, grunty motor and neutral handling.

I really like it but I'm thinking of trading up to a V-Strom.

zadok
18th July 2005, 09:55
Never owned one. I was wondering what the difference between that and a TRX was. The TRX looks great, and the sound of that parallel twin is surprisingly nice. I'm surprised from the posts that they are pricey. How does the TRX compare?

Badcat
18th July 2005, 10:05
Never owned one. I was wondering what the difference between that and a TRX was. The TRX looks great, and the sound of that parallel twin is surprisingly nice. I'm surprised from the posts that they are pricey. How does the TRX compare?

the trx is a ducati lookalike, trellis frame, 17" rims and sportbike ergos.
sweet bike.
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccolin/trx.html

the TDM is a big trailie/tourer - same motor but 19" front wheel and large tank fairing gubbins.
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcyam/tdm.html

both are cool - but in nz - there are very few tdms - possibly a reason for the high prices?
k

slob
19th July 2005, 19:11
I've tried one (95? 850cc one) for about 10mins. With that limited experience I'd say comfy, torquey, bit slow handling and heavy-feeling (compared to say an Honda XR600 or most sports bikes).

If it lost about 30kgs and had it's steering sharpened up, it would be awesome!

Otis243
20th July 2005, 09:38

I had a '95 TDM850 (in silver and yellow) and loved it. It had bags of torque and at sensible road speeds was comfy and great fun. I did find the chassis could have been stiffer when really pushing it, but for every day riding it was excellent and different.

Andy

scracha
8th December 2005, 08:19
Had a 97/98 TDM (the mark 2) and it was super. Most comfortable bike I've owned, very stable handling. Only time ground clearance and slow handling became a problem was on track days. Faster than sportsbikes I've owned on "real" roads (you know..the ones that are wet and have bumps and gravel on them).

Had a shot of the Mark 3 (the 900), felt a little lighter, quicker steering and more powerful but there wasn't enough difference to trade up.