PDA

View Full Version : Polishing tips?

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 09:30
Hey

I don't own a hog/cruiser but I have a question that you guys will proberly be best at answering seeing as most hog/crusier bikes have a lot of chrome and shiney bits.

I have a silver (not sure what kinda metal it is though) pipe and other small silver looking parts on my bike.

I brought AutoSol polish in the tube that looks like a toothpaste tube... and I've tried polishing my pipe (and other small shiney bits). But I don't know if I'm doing it right, when I first apply the Autosol, it is white in colour, then after rubbing for a while it turns grey/black, and once I'm done my pipe doesn't look a hell of a lot shiner then when I started.

Because the Autosol turns black when applying it, does that mean my pipe is VERY dirty? Should I keep polishing it until it stops turning black?

Any tips and comments regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PF :ride:

vifferman
18th July 2005, 09:33
That's how the Autosol works, on any metal. Rub the metal with it for a while, then buff it up with a soft cloth. Mix with plenty of grease from your elbows (and knees too, if necessary). Repeat as necessary.

bugjuice
18th July 2005, 09:36
going grey means it's working. Don't do it after a run tho, cos the pipe will be too hot. And I leave it on there for about 10 mins too, let it really dry well until it turns to powder. Then a soft cloth to buff it off.

Anyone know what gets burnt tar off a pipe then, without scratching it up?

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 09:48
Thanks for your replies...

Ok well now I know to rub some on and leave it for a while... I was just putting some onto a cloth and rubbing right away...

*learns something new everyday* :)

Thanks again

vifferman
18th July 2005, 09:55
Plastic scraper, and successive applications of kero. If you heat it first with summat (hot air gun) to soften it, or warm the bike up, that will help the kero to get it off.

zadok
18th July 2005, 10:03
Once I've got my bike nice and clean, I tend to use 'Mr Sheen' polish to touch up the whole bike. Every few days a quick squirt keeps it looking good. I'm more in to maintaining the bike regularly instead of allowing it to get filthy (that's just me).
Whatever the main ingredient in 'Tar-Off' is what you need for any tar stains. Can't remember what it is now, but it's cheap.

Paul in NZ
18th July 2005, 10:29
You need to identify what sort of thing you are polishing.

Autosol (and other abrasive polishes) works by removing the layer of oxide that naturally appears on some metals. It (suposedly) leaves a coating to slow down any more oxidisation.

Hower, you are removing a little material each time and thus it's not such a cool product to use on chrome (at least not regularly)

If it is aluminium (sp) then it's about the best polish bar nothing. I like to apply with a soft cloth until you get the black colour, wipe off with a not so clean cloth and then polish off with a clean dry cloth.

Cheers

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 10:56
You need to identify what sort of thing you are polishing.

Autosol (and other abrasive polishes) works by removing the layer of oxide that naturally appears on some metals. It (suposedly) leaves a coating to slow down any more oxidisation.

Hower, you are removing a little material each time and thus it's not such a cool product to use on chrome (at least not regularly)

If it is aluminium (sp) then it's about the best polish bar nothing. I like to apply with a soft cloth until you get the black colour, wipe off with a not so clean cloth and then polish off with a clean dry cloth.

Cheers

Thank you :)

I now know what I was doing wrong... no wonder I couldn't get it to shine all bright... Sam was sitting there laughing at me...

ME: Damn shit autosol crap isn't work *rub rub rub rub rub x 100000*
SAM: haha! keep going
Me: *rub rub rub rub x 10000* Grrrrr
Sam: Keep going

lol

isDeadly
18th July 2005, 11:41
Steelo Pads are the ultimate in bringing a shine out on any blemeshed metal. Trust me.

Waylander
18th July 2005, 11:44
Thank you :)

I now know what I was doing wrong... no wonder I couldn't get it to shine all bright... Sam was sitting there laughing at me...

ME: Damn shit autosol crap isn't work *rub rub rub rub rub x 100000*
SAM: haha! keep going
Me: *rub rub rub rub x 10000* Grrrrr
Sam: Keep going

lol
Must... resist... dirty... thoughts!!!

bugjuice
18th July 2005, 11:50
Steelo Pads are the ultimate in bringing a shine out on any blemeshed metal. Trust me.
on polished metal, that'd scratch the crap out of it, wouldn't it..??

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 11:52
Must... resist... dirty... thoughts!!!

lol I was waiting for a comment on that :)

You resisted well young grasshopper :Punk:

isDeadly
18th July 2005, 11:54
on polished metal, that'd scratch the crap out of it, wouldn't it..??
Yea, You'd think that - if you run it with the "grain" of the metal it comes up nice'n shiny, you just have to buff the metal afterwards with some polish to remove the microparticles of the steelo, so that it wont spark up rust.

Big Dave
18th July 2005, 12:12
You are on the right track with the autosol - it is the best polish for a motorcycle. Meguiars and Mothers make good products too.
Except for putting on your exhausts - it will cause them to discolour when it burns on. Use it only occasionally as a last resort on pipes.

everywhere else it give an outstanding result - the more you use it the less black it turns.

If you are really serious (ly anal) then you use a dremel tool and buffing pad and it comes up bewdiful

bugjuice
18th July 2005, 12:19
Yea, You'd think that - if you run it with the "grain" of the metal it comes up nice'n shiny, you just have to buff the metal afterwards with some polish to remove the microparticles of the steelo, so that it wont spark up rust.
mine is a clean buff/mirror type polish.. no grain in it, aside from the scratches of stones pinging past... but I know what you mean

isDeadly
18th July 2005, 12:24
mine is a clean buff/mirror type polish.. no grain in it, aside from the scratches of stones pinging past... but I know what you mean
Yea It may cause minor scratching/cutting - I used it on my headers/forks (hard chromed and my fork stanctions), and it left no marks - but it certainly removed bits of ....

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 13:49
You are on the right track with the autosol - it is the best polish for a motorcycle. Meguiars and Mothers make good products too.
Except for putting on your exhausts - it will cause them to discolour when it burns on. Use it only occasionally as a last resort on pipes.

everywhere else it give an outstanding result - the more you use it the less black it turns.

If you are really serious (ly anal) then you use a dremel tool and buffing pad and it comes up bewdiful

I like to be as anal as possible (hehe) when it comes to my bike...

You said it's not the best option to use Autosol on the pipe... :no: I've used it about 4 times on my pipe... I havn't noticed any discolouring... My pipe is an aftermarket pipe, but I'm unsure of the brand...

where can I get a dremel Tool and buffing pad? And about how much to they cost?

The picture below is the best picture I have of my pipe... it's not very good... but can give you a slight idea of what it looks like...

Thanks again :)

Big Dave
18th July 2005, 14:00
I like to be as anal as possible (hehe) when it comes to my bike...

You said it's not the best option to use Autosol on the pipe... :no: I've used it about 4 times on my pipe... I havn't noticed any discolouring... My pipe is an aftermarket pipe, but I'm unsure of the brand...

where can I get a dremel Tool and buffing pad? And about how much to they cost?

The picture below is the best picture I have of my pipe... it's not very good... but can give you a slight idea of what it looks like...

Thanks again :)

Muffler is OK and exhaust pipe close to it - keep it away from the headers and close to the engine - the warning about discolouration used to be on the Autosol packaging.

Dremel too is $150 I'm guessing - (mine was a gift) - any big hardware store and a few packs of no404 ploishing wheels for it. try borrowing one to see if you can be arsed with it first - quite fiddly, but a nice way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Paul in NZ
18th July 2005, 14:04
If your pipe (I take it you mean your 'can' or muffler) is stainless steel then Autosol is GREAT. If its chrome, or plated I'd find something else to use.

Note - Some stainless finishes are not supposed to be shiney...

Autosol does produce a good shine on chrome BUT it is quite abrasive and I only use it once in a while. There are several liquid chrome cleaners that are also very good but non abrasive. It dose sort of depend on the quality of the chrome though!

Paul N

ps - best polishing cloths are old nappies, washed cheese cloth, old tea towels etc all cotton based. I find 'hard' synthetics don't have an open enough weave to pick up the old polish.

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 14:04
Muffler is OK and exhaust pipe close to it - keep it away from the headers and close to the engine - the warning about discolouration used to be on the Autosol packaging.

Dremel too is $150 I'm guessing - (mine was a gift) - any big hardware store and a few packs of no404 ploishing wheels for it. try borrowing one to see if you can be arsed with it first - quite fiddly, but a nice way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Oh ok... Yeah I just polish the actual exhaust pipe and the other shiney pipe leading from the exhaust to under the bike... The rest of the pipes look pretty rusty as it is so I don't polish them...

I only polish near my pegs and the metal bits that hold the pillion pegs to the bike (and also the pipe to the bike). I also tried polishing the metal bit (sorry not good with actual names of parts) between the handlebars just under where you put in the key to start it... That didn't work out well... made it look duller than when I started... and obviously the pipe...

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 14:08
If your pipe (I take it you mean your 'can' or muffler) is stainless steel then Autosol is GREAT. If its chrome, or plated I'd find something else to use.

Note - Some stainless finishes are not supposed to be shiney...

Autosol does produce a good shine on chrome BUT it is quite abrasive and I only use it once in a while. There are several liquid chrome cleaners that are also very good but non abrasive. It dose sort of depend on the quality of the chrome though!

Paul N

ps - best polishing cloths are old nappies, washed cheese cloth, old tea towels etc all cotton based. I find 'hard' synthetics don't have an open enough weave to pick up the old polish.

I don't think my pipe/can is chromed, but it's silver and seems to have the potential to be shiney... it shines normally, just with a dull look to it... after usuing Autosol it does look a little better, but I seem to be the only one who notices... What I mean is, I sit there and spend 30 minutes trying to make it shiney... call Sam outside and ask her if she can notice what I've cleaned... and she comments on something other than the pipe... so it's not very noticable...

lol I use old tea towels... Sam never fails to lecture me about that... and my response "but they're 4 for $3 at the supermarket" hehe

Hitcher
18th July 2005, 14:33
I brought AutoSol polish in the tube that looks like a toothpaste tube...
I suspect that you bought (purchased) rather than brought (carried) the AutoSol...

Some people (White Trash for one) warn against using this stuff on the basis that it removes chrome, thus making your metal bits more susceptible to corrosion.

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 14:42
I suspect that you bought (purchased) rather than brought (carried) the AutoSol...

Some people (White Trash for one) warn against using this stuff on the basis that it removes chrome, thus making your metal bits more susceptible to corrosion.

Yes I "purchased" it...

lol by the time I go through all the products advised for my bike, I'll have 200 things I don't use and 3 that I do... lol so far the only thing regarding my bike that I havn't had issues with is the Turtle Wax :)

Paul in NZ
18th July 2005, 14:42
I don't think my pipe/can is chromed, but it's silver and seems to have the potential to be shiney... it shines normally, just with a dull look to it... after usuing Autosol it does look a little better, but I seem to be the only one who notices... What I mean is, I sit there and spend 30 minutes trying to make it shiney... call Sam outside and ask her if she can notice what I've cleaned... and she comments on something other than the pipe... so it's not very noticable...

lol I use old tea towels... Sam never fails to lecture me about that... and my response "but they're 4 for $3 at the supermarket" hehe

We used to have a beautiful old car. A 1955 Sunbeam-Talbot Mk3. I LOVED that car an polished it and polished it but it never looked clean.... I finally admitted I needed glasses..... First thing I noticed. Holy crap that is one shiney car...

Just a thought!

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 14:46
Wow that is a pretty kewl car... do you still have it?

Yeah Sam reckons my bike looks fine, and as she's saying that I'm wiping off a little bit of dust which makes me look closer at the bike and I see something else and start to clean that...

Sam is REALLY happy we don't have a garage otherwise I would've taken the bike to bits by now lol and Sam would never see me...

Paul in NZ
18th July 2005, 15:06
Wow that is a pretty kewl car... do you still have it?

Yeah Sam reckons my bike looks fine, and as she's saying that I'm wiping off a little bit of dust which makes me look closer at the bike and I see something else and start to clean that...

Sam is REALLY happy we don't have a garage otherwise I would've taken the bike to bits by now lol and Sam would never see me...

Thats the only piccy I could find in a hurry - ours was green all over and had chrome driving lamps... Sadly, it had to go to fund the house... I traded a mint Triumph Spitfire Mk2 on it when Vicki got pregnant. I'd long coverted one and when I saw it lurking on the back of the lot I could not believe it and when Vicki fell in love with it too... Well.... We had more smiles per gallon out of that car than any vehicle we have owned.. Loverly old thing and more than capable of trundling along at an indecent speed once it got rolling...

Ah - happy days....

It shared the garage with a rough old Sunbeam Rapier MkV which was fun in a different kinda way..

sigh.....

hondacmx450
18th July 2005, 16:52
i do polishing on rims and all other parts of bikes and on some hotrods to if you want to polish alley get a polish called tripoly it is brown start with that
then go to alimco that is the finishing polish then your wife can use what ever you r polishing to do her make up same as stainless to i use these to do rims and frames engin covers and so on the flater you get the last stage the better the finish and it will take longer to blemish again

Waylander
18th July 2005, 16:54

You'de be surprised how many peaple make that mistake here...

Anyway I use the dremel tool on mine. Havn't done it in a while though. Gonna have to spend a good day or two just polishing the ride up to get it back to the shineyness it once was. Gonna cheat on my pipes though and see about getting them and the headers re-chromed.

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 16:56
You'de be surprised how many peaple make that mistake here...

You mean shoplifting?

Anyway... I understand that your bike is different to mine... but do you think it would be worth it to get my headers chromed (just to get rid of the rust) or is that just too much effort for nothing?

HDTboy
18th July 2005, 16:59
Tar and wax remover (Pacer)

Big Dave
18th July 2005, 17:05

Nah, not on good british chrome anyway - I have been smothering motorcycles in autosol for 30 years and never had anything but a satisfactory result.
I do prefer mothers chrome polish on the prominent plated bits anyway, but autosol is da bomb if you only want to use 1 product.

Waylander
18th July 2005, 17:10
You mean shoplifting?

Anyway... I understand that your bike is different to mine... but do you think it would be worth it to get my headers chromed (just to get rid of the rust) or is that just too much effort for nothing?
Chrome your headers? Not on a sport bike. You don't see all that much of them under the fairings so there would be no point to it. It doesn't affect performance (unless you have holes rusted through but then you would have other problems) or anything, just makes them look pretty.

It's also alot of work to get them re-chromed. Gonna need to get mine sandblasted first to clean them off then find someone to chrome them again.

Big Dave
18th July 2005, 17:13
Chrome your headers? Not on a sport bike. You don't see all that much of them under the fairings so there would be no point to it. It doesn't affect performance (unless you have holes rusted through but then you would have other problems) or anything, just makes them look pretty.

It's also alot of work to get them re-chromed. Gonna need to get mine sandblasted first to clean them off then find someone to chrome them again.

get a quote on some new ones from Custom Chambers too - I'm putting theirs (3 into 2) on the tbird next time around with some revese cone mufflers. (It's 2nd set of headers are looking decidedly shabby)

Waylander
18th July 2005, 17:59
get a quote on some new ones from Custom Chambers too - I'm putting theirs (3 into 2) on the tbird next time around with some revese cone mufflers. (It's 2nd set of headers are looking decidedly shabby)
Heh mate if I wanted another custom set I would just make my own. Might talk to them when I start on the Rebel though.

scumdog
18th July 2005, 18:50

Never sandblast anything you want chromed, it pits the surface and also surface-hardens the surface for which the polisher will curse you.
Most of the chroming cost is in the pre-polishing and sandblasting will make that a LONG process!!

Skyryder
18th July 2005, 18:53
Anyone know of how to get rid of swirl marks. Got a few on the tank and just can not get rid of them. Have tried Mcguires Scratch X.

I have been told that the only way is to buff them out with an orbital buffer but since I have never used one have been a bit 'shy' on this.

They are very faint but in bright sunlight are noticeable.

Skyryder

Waylander
18th July 2005, 18:57
Never sandblast anything you want chromed, it pits the surface and also surface-hardens the surface for which the polisher will curse you.
Most of the chroming cost is in the pre-polishing and sandblasting will make that a LONG process!!
Hmm, allright then change in plans. Gonna talk to the chromers in Hamilton (don't remember the name) and see what prep work needs done then do that myself. Should make it easier on them and make the time they are off the bike shorter.

HDTboy
18th July 2005, 18:57
Chrome your headers? Not on a sport bike. You don't see all that much of them under the fairings so there would be no point to it. It doesn't affect performance (unless you have holes rusted through but then you would have other problems) or anything, just makes them look pretty..
Placid, you could get your headers HPC'd not a chrome finish, but it is nice, and they claim to increase power (I'd take that with a grain of salt)

Auckland Electroplaters, tell them I sent you and where I work and they might do you a deal

Big Dave
18th July 2005, 19:06
Anyone know of how to get rid of swirl marks. Got a few on the tank and just can not get rid of them. Have tried Mcguires Scratch X.

Skyryder

I got good results from Meguires 'Swirl Remover'. I've not seen the product in NZ, but it did a great job on the Tbird when i first got it. Worth a search.

Hitcher
18th July 2005, 19:48
I reckon it was the AutoSol what did in the chrome (or lack of) on the Ventura pack rack on Mrs H's former Marauder.

Ixion
18th July 2005, 20:50
I got good results from Meguires 'Swirl Remover'. I've not seen the product in NZ, but it did a great job on the Tbird when i first got it. Worth a search.

From the good folks at Repco. But maybe only a big branch. I bought it there.

phaedrus
18th July 2005, 21:42
Hey

I don't own a hog/cruiser but I have a question that you guys will proberly be best at answering seeing as most hog/crusier bikes have a lot of chrome and shiney bits.

I have a silver (not sure what kinda metal it is though) pipe and other small silver looking parts on my bike.

PF :ride:
one of the best cleaners i've found for chrome, stainless steel and anything shiney is glass cleaner.

soundbeltfarm
18th July 2005, 22:03
just reading a bit about a bike getting done up and they use a polish like autosol belgom Alu.
and they said that the black on the rag after using autosol and that belgom Alu is the silicon coming out of it.

placidfemme
19th July 2005, 07:36
Placid, you could get your headers HPC'd not a chrome finish, but it is nice, and they claim to increase power (I'd take that with a grain of salt)

HPC'd? What does that mean. I was just asking about my headers because they looks kinda rusty (not too bad though) and even though it's not a part of the bike that you see often (Unless your looking for a problem), but I was mainly asking just so I can use something to slow down the corrosion process and keep it in good condition... I could just leave them as they are because they're not a problem... but no harm in asking :)

vifferman
19th July 2005, 08:11
HPC'd? What does that mean. I was just asking about my headers because they looks kinda rusty (not too bad though) and even though it's not a part of the bike that you see often (Unless your looking for a problem), but I was mainly asking just so I can use something to slow down the corrosion process and keep it in good condition... I could just leave them as they are because they're not a problem... but no harm in asking :)
HPC stands for "High Performance Coating" - they clean your headers, then they are coated inside and out with a kind of ceramic paint that's heat-proof and sort of a satin finish. Because the ceramic helps the zorsts keep the heat in a little, that supposedly helps with maintaining a higher rate of gas flow. HPC is available in a range of colours, from black, silver, red, blue, and others, so if you wanted to beautify your bike, this would be a good option. The downside is that you'd have to dismantle the zorst system, and you'd need to leave it with them for a week or three, depending on their workload.

placidfemme
19th July 2005, 08:17
HPC stands for "High Performance Coating" - they clean your headers, then they are coated inside and out with a kind of ceramic paint that's heat-proof and sort of a satin finish. Because the ceramic helps the zorsts keep the heat in a little, that supposedly helps with maintaining a higher rate of gas flow. HPC is available in a range of colours, from black, silver, red, blue, and others, so if you wanted to beautify your bike, this would be a good option. The downside is that you'd have to dismantle the zorst system, and you'd need to leave it with them for a week or three, depending on their workload.

Oh ok... thank you :)

Any idea how much that would cost?

HDTboy
19th July 2005, 10:30
Ring them up, they have set prices for motorbike headers. they're in te ph book

hondacmx450
20th July 2005, 09:55

it will cost you a lot to re chrome your heades and mufflers thay wuld have to be seald and that is a bitch of a job i know a mate of mine that dose it but he dont like doing second hand mufflers cause if thay put shit in to the chrome bath the whole bath is stuffed :wait: