PDA

View Full Version : ZXR250C Tyre Pressure?

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 11:26
Hiya

This might seem like a dumb question (but your used to those from me so it's ok *cheeky grin* :) )

I've had my bike since Nov last year... possibly longer... and I've never checked the tyre pressure... Me being the smart-ass that I am... saw on my tyre it said "Tubeless" and I took that as meaning... no air!

haha now I'm not sure if thats what it actually means... but as I said... I've never checked them...

So do I need to check them?
If so what is the pressure meant to be?

Thanks in advance

PF :) :ride:

isDeadly
18th July 2005, 11:38
hi, the stock preasures state that it should be 28psi front and rear cold, personally I run 35psi front and 35psi rear cold, just look at the sidewalls of your tire for the tires recommended PSI. Goodluck.

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 13:51
hi, the stock preasures state that it should be 28psi front and rear cold, personally I run 35psi front and 35psi rear cold, just look at the sidewalls of your tire for the tires recommended PSI. Goodluck.

Sweet thank you...

When you say cold... you mean when the tires are still cold... so a 2 minute ride to the gas station shouldn't be too bad?

Thanks again :)

R6_kid
18th July 2005, 15:43
manual says 30 front 34 rear. but as said depends on tyres. :Punk:

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 15:45
manual says 30 front 34 rear. but as said depends on tyres. :Punk:

Sweet, well I'll check my tires tonight *didn't ride my bike to work today* and see what the tyres say :)

vifferman
18th July 2005, 15:50
The reason the tyres need to be checked when cold is that as they flex when riding, they heat up, the air expands, the pressure goes up. It's just to give some kind of standard when checking them.

placidfemme
18th July 2005, 15:53
The reason the tyres need to be checked when cold is that as they flex when riding, they heat up, the air expands, the pressure goes up. It's just to give some kind of standard when checking them.

Oh ok... The reason why I was asking (Other than the safety reasons) was because I've seen a guy on TradeMe selling pressure gauges to check tyres... they're small compact and could come in handy... so before I brought one ($25 + P&P) I'd check to see if I actually needed one :)

Thanks for explaining the "cold" thing to me :)

vifferman
18th July 2005, 16:02
Oh ok... The reason why I was asking (Other than the safety reasons) was because I've seen a guy on TradeMe selling pressure gauges to check tyres... they're small compact and could come in handy... so before I brought one ($25 + P&P) I'd check to see if I actually needed one :)

Thanks for explaining the "cold" thing to me :)
A tyre pressure gauge is a MUST for a bike, because you're depending on two very small contact patches, and the tyre pressure makes a huge difference to how the bike handles, behaves, etc. F'rinstance, if my front tyre (supposed to be 36) goes below 34, the front wheel wanders, especially on rough seal. If the back gets below about 38-ish, then it feels like the tyre is moving around and slipping, whether or not it is. If your pressures are too high or too low, the tyre will wear unevenly, and may not give you proper grip.
Plus you can't necessarily trust service station pressure gauges, assuming the tyre thingo at the station even fits on your bike's valves (on many bikes, the disks get in the way). At least with your own gauge, you can find out what pressure is right for you, and it should be consistent each time, whether the gauge is 100% accurate or not.

sefer
18th July 2005, 18:02
I saw those little thingies too, they look like a good idea, but I'd be dubious about how well they worked until I'd seen or heard of someone testing them. If you think about it, they have to keep your air valve open the whole time to keep checking the pressure, so if the test thing started leaking you'd soon find yourself with no air in your tyres.

Devil
20th July 2005, 12:12
Plus you can't necessarily trust service station pressure gauges, assuming the tyre thingo at the station even fits on your bike's valves (on many bikes, the disks get in the way). .
Or you can find one thats right and always use it (like I do - checked via guage. Them digital ones seem fairly accurate).

Placid. Because the tyre pressures affect the bikes so much, its a good idea to check the pressure every time you get on the bike.
When im going on a decent sized ride it always begins with the trip to the petrol station to do the tyre pressures.

placidfemme
20th July 2005, 12:25
Thank you :)

I was looking at this:

http://202.21.128.2/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/Wheels-tyres-brakes/auction-31430029.htm

Do you think that would be worth it?

this is what I was thinking of getting earlier... the auction uis closed but the guy had 4 of them and didn't sell any of them...

http://202.21.128.2/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=31051818

It only goes up to 35psi

placidfemme
21st July 2005, 07:50
Ok well I checked my tyres last night...

both front and rear tyre are meant to be at 41PSI.

crash harry
31st July 2005, 22:26
The pressures printed on the sides of the tires are not application specific - they are the manufacturers maximums! 41psi is surely too hard.

If the ZXR is anything like the CBR (which I highly suspect it is) you should be running 30-32 psi front and 34-36 psi rear. I would go with the lower end of those ranges, especially if you are light.

I've found those newer gas station air pumps - the electronic ones - to be quite accurate, but beware of the older ones with the gauge on the end of the hose, they get run over and dropped and god knows what, it's amazing they even read at all.

If you haven't checked them since Nov, they're probably at least a bit low, be prepared for a gratifying improvement in handling!

placidfemme
1st August 2005, 08:03
Hi

Yeah I've checked them and pumped them up to 41 psi. Thats what the tyre says so thats what I'll do :)

It does feel better with them at the correct pressure :)

placidfemme
19th August 2005, 18:29
lol Ok, well I took my bike in for its WOF today, and I asked them to check my tire pressure.

Turns out the "41psi" is the MAX limit... not the actual limit...

Back Tyre: 33psi
Front Trye: 31psi

wyatt
8th September 2005, 21:12
I would recomend you try 30pounds in the f tyre and 30pounds in the back, Then it all depends on where and how hard you ride, but 30/30 is a great starting point,, Thats what ive learned from the Australian superbike school..

placidfemme
9th September 2005, 07:50
I would recomend you try 30pounds in the f tyre and 30pounds in the back, Then it all depends on where and how hard you ride, but 30/30 is a great starting point,, Thats what ive learned from the Australian superbike school..

Sweet thanks for the tip :)

John
9th September 2005, 09:49
I will stick my nose out, but 35/35 hot road riding works best for me... good road feedback and tire rounding.

placidfemme
9th September 2005, 09:57
I will stick my nose out, but 35/35 hot road riding works best for me... good road feedback and tire rounding.

*flicks your nose* lol

Its interesting to see what different people do with thier bikes... I'm finding that 33/31 is working well with me... it really didn't feel good at 41 lol

John
9th September 2005, 10:07
indeed it would, I dont ofyen check my tire preasures but before a ride I get the foot pump out and pump them up by using the squeeze method, yet to fail me yet :P

If i want to ride fast I normally check them properly.

placidfemme
9th September 2005, 14:50
indeed it would, I dont ofyen check my tire preasures but before a ride I get the foot pump out and pump them up by using the squeeze method, yet to fail me yet :P

If i want to ride fast I normally check them properly.

I'm too lazy for the foot pump method...

*likes being lazy*

so when are you coming up to Auckland... this guy *hint* advised me to buy an alarm *hint* and said he would install it *hint* but his bike has been broken *hint*

N4CR
9th September 2005, 15:27
I'm too lazy for the foot pump method...

*likes being lazy*

so when are you coming up to Auckland... this guy *hint* advised me to buy an alarm *hint* and said he would install it *hint* but his bike has been broken *hint*

Yeah John is a lazy bugger so don't worry ;)

I have used various different tyre pressures and I found a small increase helped cure corner instability - the bike would randomly start tracking/floating on rare occasions - higher is nicer. Mt Eden MC reccomended 34/36 for me but I find another one or two psi works wonders for the handling.

Shade
9th September 2005, 16:50
Depends how hard you a riding it -

When i had my cbr250 i was running around 31/33 ish. Track was 29/31ish depending on weather of course.

Those were Diablo's btw

Right Charlie
9th September 2005, 16:53
This thread got me thinking, my bike always gave me a wobble/walking sensation at the back while cornering at speed,

Got out the pressure tester 23 psi :Oops:

Whacked her up to 36 psi, just need this wind to die down so i can go try her out on coatsville highway.

Me thinks im going to notice an improvement.

placidfemme
11th December 2006, 13:55
Well got some new tyres now... (ok I've had them since 2 weeks before I crashed... but what the hell)

Dunlop SportMax = No PSI markings on the tyres that I can see... I'll try the front at 30psi and the rear at 34psi... will let you know how that goes :)

mynameis
13th December 2006, 20:48
As a general guide it's best to buy one of those tyre pressure gaugages which are sold at Repco and Super Cheap for less than $15 and check your tyre pressure once a week.

Especially with small bikes, front tyres lose air more quicker than rear but it's best to check and if need be top up every week. Go to BP they have electronic air pumps which are very accurate and handy. I run my one on 34 36 front and rear.

mynameis

dnos
15th December 2006, 10:19
I read about tyre pressure gauges in consumer magazine before i bought mine.
They recommended the slime-2000/2001 or something, definitely slime anyways. Its a stick/pen type one and they found in tests that it was pretty accurate, and it fits very well in your pocket. Also keeps the reading after you take it off the tire which is helpful.
I went to repco and the guy there reccommended it also, $18 and I'm very happy with it. So would suggest one of these if your looking to purchase one.

Jeff Sichoe
15th December 2006, 16:16
I went to repco and the guy there reccommended it also, $18 and I'm very happy with it. So would suggest one of these if your looking to purchase one.

What psi for front and back do you use on your bandit?

I've never checked mine, but will when I figure out what it SHOULD be first :)