PDA

View Full Version : Did you break in your DP bike?

Tigadee
25th November 2011, 20:39
I guess all bikes have a break in period [usually the first 1,000km]. With DP and dirt bikes being used for rough and tough riding, are they even given the usual gentle break in period? Or do most new owners trash their bikes from the get-go?

I ask because does that mean that a bike with 'only' 20k kms, for example, may still have problems with it if the owner has not observed the breaking in procedure?

Also, are Yamaha TW200s common in NZ? They look uber-cool (to me) and fun!

Eddieb
25th November 2011, 21:50
I don't know about trail bikes but dp/adv bikes are expected to last a long time just like a road bike so the same rules apply.

GPS MAN
26th November 2011, 06:46
I broke-in both my bikes per the owners manual recommendations...No problems and neither burn oil or other issues...so far anyway:brick:

NordieBoy
26th November 2011, 07:14
I've only had one "new" engine on a bike (79 XR250) and broke it in "MotoMan" style.
Smooth on the power, smooth off, lots of engine braking.
Was at a fun day classic mx and could feel the engine getting stronger. After an hour, it got thrashed. NordieBro pulled the head off 6 years later and it was mint.

For breaking in, the manual is not a good thing to follow. Too gentle.

nzspokes
26th November 2011, 07:29
Just put knobbys on the Scorpio. Sorted.

Tigadee
26th November 2011, 10:30
Spokes - :laugh: :drinknsin

dino3310
26th November 2011, 10:51
i broke the XR in (after rebuild) according to manufacturer specs and a little more.Did oil after 40-50kms then again at 500kms then agian at 1000kms then after 1400kms and thats when i started to give it the juice. i dont treat it like a road bike in terms of servicing etc because its not a road bike. oil & filter every 1400kms as Manual specs.
i think half the problem with bikes today is there owners ignorance in asuming that every bike has a 5000km oil change like a most big bikes have, ive seen a few XRs die of symtons caused by this.
So my opinion is follow manufacturers specs, if ya thrash it from get go it will fail sooner or later.
TW Yamy is that the one with the fat tires

buggsubique
26th November 2011, 13:26
I let a few others use my Africa Twin from new, I got it off them at 80k, so it was about ready to let rip then...:mellow:

Tigadee
26th November 2011, 13:31
TW Yamy is that the one with the fat tires

Yupe, that's the TW200, alright. There don't seem to be too many around...

dino3310
26th November 2011, 19:28
i saw one at a shop on Te rapa straights a couple months ago cool looking bike, i could imagine that with a long range tank a big rack for a fish bin and a pair of rod holders :scooter:

MMMmmmmm wonda if i could ram a TT600 motor in there :facepalm:

warewolf
27th November 2011, 20:33
So my opinion is follow manufacturers specs, if ya thrash it from get go it will fail sooner or later. :facepalm: Read up on Motoman break-in (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm). Press bikes that are thrashed from new by journos are renowned for using less engine oil and pulling higher dyno figures than "customer" bikes. Modern bikes can also suffer from glazed bores, due to the same issues. You need to load the fcuker up to generate some combustion pressure occasionally!

For road bikes, a mate in the industry says 1000rpm higher, 100km sooner and 10% more throttle than the manufacturer recommends. (Not quite as aggressive as Motoman.) That's what I did for the 640A. It was quite noticeable during break-in that it ran hotter than normal, and progressively responded better, vibed less.

This can be as controversial as an oil thread. :shutup:

NordieBoy
27th November 2011, 20:51
It vibes less now?

Woah...

pete-blen
28th November 2011, 06:04
Never.... DP or Road ..
but they get a few 100k easy at first..

Oscar
28th November 2011, 10:08
I put my new IT200 on the trailer, started it, turned up the idle and towed it to Atimuri.
et viola! Top end run in....

pete-blen
28th November 2011, 12:34
I put my new IT200 on the trailer, started it, turned up the idle and towed it to Atimuri.
et viola! Top end run in....

That in fact is the worst possable thing yer could ever do...
constant revs unloaded = glazed bore...

NordieBoy
28th November 2011, 14:15

It was an IT200. The glazed bore just made all the orsum power manageable.

Oscar
28th November 2011, 14:34

Three quarters of an hour at constant revs, followed by a good thrashing in the Forest?
Just the ticket:bleh:

Waihou Thumper
28th November 2011, 15:26
Three quarters of an hour at constant revs, followed by a good thrashing in the Forest?
Just the ticket:bleh:

Riding that thing in the forest, you might have even come across a glazed boar :) Startled in fact! :shit:

warewolf
28th November 2011, 17:10
It vibes less now?Either that, or we just got in sync! :sunny:

offrd
28th November 2011, 18:59
Whats to run in?

Lumps in the bearings? Dont think so.

Machining aint like it used to be, cnc took over file and leather.

Ride it like you intend to, service it like you want it to last.

you can glaze any engine at any age..... make it work.