PDA

View Full Version : DIY brackets?

Latte
28th November 2011, 20:59
Am looking at custom mounting a headlight/guage cluster to my bike and am looking for a good source of some ally plate, and straps, that I can bend in a vice, drill and cut / grind reasonably easily.

Had a look around at the mitre 10 mega and didnt really find what I was after. To be fair it was a half assed look in between sipping my coffee while the kids terrorised the playground and deciding on the type of skirting boards for the hallway :D.

I'd like stuff I'd be able to manipulate easily, with the tools I have (grinder, drill, hacksaw) , as I'm still working out the final location so will probably have a few guys at it. I don;t have access to a tig so would be bolted or rivetted together.

Cheers

pete-blen
28th November 2011, 22:09
Am looking at custom mounting a headlight/guage cluster to my bike and am looking for a good source of some ally plate, and straps, that I can bend in a vice, drill and cut / grind reasonably easily.

Had a look around at the mitre 10 mega and didnt really find what I was after. To be fair it was a half assed look in between sipping my coffee while the kids terrorised the playground and deciding on the type of skirting boards for the hallway :D.

I'd like stuff I'd be able to manipulate easily, with the tools I have (grinder, drill, hacksaw) , as I'm still working out the final location so will probably have a few guys at it. I don;t have access to a tig so would be bolted or rivetted together.

Cheers

Try "Mico Metals"... they will have what yer want...
any of the off the self flat bar / angle is easy worked/bent...
for the sheet/plate... Get 5003 or 5251.. again easy worked/bent...
Say well away from the harder grades IE 5083 etc..
stay with the 5000 series alloys as they use Magnisium as the
eneeling agent And have good corodson resistance...
To bend the harder grades you need a internal radius of
at least 4X metal thickness to stop brakage..

you can also go to 6061... your call
6061 dose hold a thread better than the
softer 5000 series alloys

have fun..