PDA

View Full Version : Texting driver who killed biker jailed

Bob
1st December 2011, 01:43
A driver who struck and killed a motorcyclist as he was texting while driving has been jailed for three years.

Stephen Rawlinson, 26, of Bradford, UK, was reported as “Being seen driving at speed” in Saltaire. Rawlinson had told police he could not understand how he failed to see the motorcycle. His mobile was taken from him at the scene and was examined by the police and it was discovered he had sent a text shortly before the accident.

Jailing Rawlinson at Bradford Crown Court, Rawlinson, Judge Jonathan Rose told him he was distracted by the message and said: “Even the time to text eight characters is the time it takes to kill a man.” Rawlinson was further banned from driving for four years and ordered to take an extended re-test before he is allowed behind the wheel.

YellowDog
1st December 2011, 04:37
That's a strong message for many that needs wider exposure.

Thanks for sharing.

unstuck
1st December 2011, 04:53
Good. Amazing how many(mainly young females)that are txting while driving.:angry:

StoneY
1st December 2011, 05:41
Good. Amazing how many(mainly young females)that are txting while driving.:angry:

Dude the guys are just as bad, don't try make it a gender thing, its a generation thing.

Seems anyone I meet under 25 years old thinks they are so awesome at multi tasking the txting laws do not count to them regardless of the gender they are.

My missus had to talk to one of her team about reading the map book while he was driving... and he is a 30 something health professional! His smug comeback to the verbal reprimand he received was
'I am surprised someone as competent at so many things as you are cannot do two things at once just because you are driving.....'

Her reply:
'Driving is the ONLY thing you should be doing in ANY vehicle you are operating, it's nothing at all to do with multi tasking, its common sense and also it's now the LAW. So.... about this dent on the front left guard, can we return to how that happened?'

:facepalm:

oneofsix
1st December 2011, 06:03
'I am surprised someone as competent at so many things as you are cannot do two things at once just because you are driving.....'

His quote says it doesn't it. Driving isn't a single task, it is multi-tasking in and of itself. I think this goes to the hub of the matter and is often reflected in the posts. The way we bleat on about how on a bike you have to concentrate on the riding but cages have distractions like radios, conversations etc. Driving is multitasking, monitor the speed, the conditions, the throttle setting, the road conditions, etc etc etc.

Yes they can text those 8 characters the judge refered to without looking at the phone, F'd if I can but I know my kids can (or think they can, try decyphering the results some times :facepalm:), but it is still eating into their available tasking resources. The proof the judge was right and not the driver is that the driver can't understand how he didn't see the bike! The shame is i suspect he hasn't learnt because he hasn't realised that the text eat up the but of concentration he required to see the bike.

Haggis2
1st December 2011, 06:35
Three years clink and a four year ban - what would he have got here? Bugger all I suspect

Hoon
1st December 2011, 12:42
It's been proven that humans can't multitask. All we do is switch quickly between individual tasks to maintain the illusion that we are doing several things at once much like a single CPU computer. At any given time we are only focussed on one task and oblivious to all others. Accidents happen when our attention is consumed and we fail to switch back to other tasks in a timely matter.

HenryDorsetCase
1st December 2011, 13:23
in NZ he would have been given a replacement car, an "attaboy" award from his local chamber of commerce and discharged without conviction.

GrayWolf
2nd December 2011, 11:36
It's been proven that humans can't multitask. All we do is switch quickly between individual tasks to maintain the illusion that we are doing several things at once much like a single CPU computer. At any given time we are only focussed on one task and oblivious to all others. Accidents happen when our attention is consumed and we fail to switch back to other tasks in a timely matter.

As much as I hate to disagree with that statement given the very emotive topic it is concerned with. That isnt strictly a true statement, there ARE people who can 'multi task' in that manner.... and usualy they are EG: fighter pilots, and interestingly M Scumacher had the same ability.
The RAF (and I would guess most airforces) have some interesting 'tests' for multi tasking and concentration. One that was shown on TV was test of identifying colours and shapes on a computer screen and hitting 'enter' when the correct one(s) appeared, at the same time doing mathmatical calculations on the PC.
This ability is required as a fighter pilot must be able to fly the plane under extreme conditions AND still think, outwit and out manouvere his opponent.
But I agree for 98% of us 'mere mortals' it is a no brainer...... My own employer banned cell phone usage for the drivers in the cab.

Mark Nansett
9th December 2011, 11:06
As much as I hate to disagree with that statement given the very emotive topic it is concerned with. That isnt strictly a true statement, there ARE people who can 'multi task' in that manner.... and usualy they are EG: fighter pilots, and interestingly M Scumacher had the same ability.
The RAF (and I would guess most airforces) have some interesting 'tests' for multi tasking and concentration. One that was shown on TV was test of identifying colours and shapes on a computer screen and hitting 'enter' when the correct one(s) appeared, at the same time doing mathmatical calculations on the PC.
This ability is required as a fighter pilot must be able to fly the plane under extreme conditions AND still think, outwit and out manouvere his opponent.
But I agree for 98% of us 'mere mortals' it is a no brainer...... My own employer banned cell phone usage for the drivers in the cab.

NONE of these people could multitask as the word means...but perhaps they could be "task switching"...at best. Even within the computer brain - multitaking is handled in a less than true multi-tasking fashion, with the brain "partially" switching off and allocating resource to the other tasks. So the more tasks..the less brain allocated to each. In the human case....driving + cellphone = no brain function.

unstuck
9th December 2011, 11:22
Dude the guys are just as bad, don't try make it a gender thing, its a generation thing.

Only ever seen one guy txting while driving, but around here I see maybe 3-4 young females txting while driving every day. Maybe I'm just a perv and only notice the females.:shifty:

NordieBoy
10th December 2011, 12:14
Only ever seen one guy txting while driving, but around here I see maybe 3-4 young females txting while driving every day. Maybe I'm just a perv and only notice the females.:shifty:

Dude, it's Gore. The guys are lip syncing to country music instead...

unstuck
10th December 2011, 12:32
Dude, it's Gore. The guys are lip syncing to country music instead...

:rofl::2thumbsup, yeah funny as fuck seeing the hoon mobiles crusing around with the sounds up louder that a jumbo jet and blasting out some kenny rodgers.:facepalm:

Katman
11th December 2011, 14:01

Most London motorcycle couriers have that ability as well. If they don't, they don't last long.

Try riding in some of the most conjested traffic in the world, with a controller on shoulder constantly giving you more pick-ups, forcing you to constantly do a mental replan of your whole route, all while trying to avoid becoming a hood ornament.

ducatilover
11th December 2011, 15:06
Maybe I'm just a perv and only notice the females.:shifty: I have this problem also. :bleh:

I'm under 25 and I don't text/drive. I'm too busy picking my nose, saving petrol or wondering how one manages to wear a cap backwards in a car. (Typical Corolla driver aren't I?) :cool:

unstuck
11th December 2011, 15:34
(Typical Corolla driver aren't I?) :cool:

Nah, I have owned a few corollas and I never wore my cap backwards,I did however have a foot high fluro green mohawk.:Punk:

SMOKEU
11th December 2011, 18:24
A prison sentence is not enough. People who txt and drive should be shot for needlessly endangering every other road user in their immediate vicinity.

Virago
11th December 2011, 18:36
A prison sentence is not enough. People who txt and drive should be shot for needlessly endangering every other road user in their immediate vicinity.

...Along with their immediate families and close friends. Fuck 'em, eh...?

ducatilover
11th December 2011, 18:48
Nah, I have owned a few corollas and I never wore my cap backwards,I did however have a foot high fluro green mohawk.:Punk:
I was meaning, whilst driving a Corolla one gets to wondering (it takes so long to actually move in it...) :bleh:

SMOKEU
11th December 2011, 19:02
...Along with their immediate families and close friends. Fuck 'em, eh...?

It's not that, but I just don't have any tolerance for idiots who think it's acceptable to txt and drive. Every second they take their eyes off the roads is a second that they could have used to avoid an accident. People should just pull over and send a txt then. I can't possibly think of any kind of emergency which can warrant someone txting while driving. People who txt and drive are often more of a hazard than drunk drivers, and a certainly much, much more of a hazard than stoned drivers.

I would much rather share the roads with a bunch of stoners who have each just had a big sesh than 1 person who's not looking where they're going.

GrayWolf
19th December 2011, 01:02
It's not that, but I just don't have any tolerance for idiots who think it's acceptable to txt and drive. Every second they take their eyes off the roads is a second that they could have used to avoid an accident. People should just pull over and send a txt then. I can't possibly think of any kind of emergency which can warrant someone txting while driving. People who txt and drive are often more of a hazard than drunk drivers, and a certainly much, much more of a hazard than stoned drivers.

I would much rather share the roads with a bunch of stoners who have each just had a big sesh than 1 person who's not looking where they're going.

Sorry guys I just have too,,,,,
i can see it now, neil and co' driving down the road after a 'sesh' on the weed..

Oh, wow man... look at those cool lights. Yeh we should have some, yeh man look at how they change pretty colours, that red is awesome dude.
Oh man, bummer i think I may have to stop. Yeh man, i think I should. oh wow... I was going to move my foot to the brake man, but it was too fucking heavy.... yeh man, I think you hit that biker dude, like bummer man, you dented the car neil. oh wow, thats really heavy man, my mum's gonna kill me. Yeh man I got the muchies too... hey neil bro, there's a pack of chippies under your seat dude.......

SMOKEU
19th December 2011, 10:16
Sorry guys I just have too,,,,,
i can see it now, neil and co' driving down the road after a 'sesh' on the weed..

Oh, wow man... look at those cool lights. Yeh we should have some, yeh man look at how they change pretty colours, that red is awesome dude.
Oh man, bummer i think I may have to stop. Yeh man, i think I should. oh wow... I was going to move my foot to the brake man, but it was too fucking heavy.... yeh man, I think you hit that biker dude, like bummer man, you dented the car neil. oh wow, thats really heavy man, my mum's gonna kill me. Yeh man I got the muchies too... hey neil bro, there's a pack of chippies under your seat dude.......

I'm guessing that you're a pot virgin. Weed does NOT have that affect on people!

Go smoke some buds and get back to me.

Scuba_Steve
19th December 2011, 10:30

People who drink and drive should be shot for needlessly endangering every other road user in their immediate vicinity.
People who smoke and drive should be shot for needlessly endangering every other road user in their immediate vicinity.
People who use a radio and drive should be shot for needlessly endangering every other road user in their immediate vicinity.
People who eat and drive should be shot for needlessly endangering every other road user in their immediate vicinity.
People who have kids in the car and drive should be shot for needlessly endangering every other road user in their immediate vicinity.
People who do make-up and drive should be shot for needlessly endangering every other road user in their immediate vicinity.
People who read and drive should be shot for needlessly endangering every other road user in their immediate vicinity.
People who operate a GPS and drive should be shot for needlessly endangering every other road user in their immediate vicinity.

the list goes on...

ducatilover
19th December 2011, 19:37
I'm guessing that you're a pot virgin. Weed does NOT have that affect on people!

It does different things to different people.
That argument can go on for a while...

SMOKEU
19th December 2011, 19:57
It does different things to different people.
That argument can go on for a while...

I've been in plenty of cars with stoned drivers and I can honestly say that their driving behaviour does not become dangerous. Sure, they might drive a little slow and more cautiously than usual, but that's not always a bad thing.

ducatilover
19th December 2011, 21:11
I've been in plenty of cars with stoned drivers and I can honestly say that their driving behaviour does not become dangerous. Sure, they might drive a little slow and more cautiously than usual, but that's not always a bad thing.
I've been with many too. Some who are dangerous (I CBF'd smoking it these days, so I have an unbiased and sober P.O.V). Some do dumb shit and don't care, some are just inattentive.

Scuba_Steve
20th December 2011, 14:56
Here we go another study saying what we already knew, this one paid for by auto-insurers (the guys that have to pay out when you fuck up)

All those fancy in-car docks and voice navigation? Utterly pointless.
it's not the phone that's the issue, but "the full spectrum of things that distract."
According to its research, while the ban [of cell phones] had reduced phone use (whoa, really?), it hadn't helped reduce crash rates.

Twas never the phone always the user that was the problem.

GrayWolf
28th December 2011, 23:01

twat! I was a teenager in the 70's...... so likely smoking it before you were born. I dont and have'nt for many years now though.
the post I made was a tongue in cheek jibe.... go watch the young ones.... then YOU may 'get it'.....

quickbuck
29th December 2011, 11:29
.... go watch the young ones.... then YOU may 'get it'.....

LOL,
You may have to tell him who the "Young Ones" were ;)
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Ones_(TV_series)"

StoneY
29th December 2011, 11:55
LOL,
You may have to tell him who the "Young Ones" were ;)
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Ones_(TV_series)"

Guys .... dinners on the floor.

Sliver
25th January 2012, 19:34
sad loss, i hope more people see this