PDA

View Full Version : Gixxer forks on, done and dusted

98tls
2nd December 2011, 11:50
Finally got round to it,havent been for a decent ride yet but first impressions are pretty good.No major hassles,shims in bottom triples were fiddly but got there,before fitting i questioned the need for 1mm shims but when i slid the forks in there definately a need.Bleeding calipers went sweet even though they had been lying round for yonks.Chuffed really.

98tls
2nd December 2011, 12:06
Was a bit peeved with having to lose the S front guard but the shape of the new ones not to bad i reckon.

bogan
2nd December 2011, 12:15
Forks look good, beefy radial calipers should be fun too! Carbon screen seems a bit OTT for my tastes, but I bet it is good for wind.

98tls
2nd December 2011, 12:50
Yea not that fussed on it myself but a bloke was making a few of them and just thought what the hell,ive a tinted one in the shed and may just stick that back on sometime.

98tls
19th December 2011, 18:59
Went out and had a play with these forks today,am far from an expert bit went over the pigroute and played with the settings as i went,vastly better than the old S forks and am well stoked with them.The brakes are nothing short of a revelation compared to the Busa 6 pots that were on the old forks and am certainly not missing the plunging of the old forks no matter what i played with.All in all a very worthwhile mod to 13 year old bike.:Punk:And to kick it off they look great on the old girl.

spada
18th January 2012, 09:51
Were the GSXR forks shorter than the TL forks? And what GSXR are they from exactly?

98tls
18th January 2012, 18:43
Were the GSXR forks shorter than the TL forks? And what GSXR are they from exactly?

Slightly longer,went to the trouble of buying a Banjo conversion kit as i was worried about the length of my lines but could have got away with what i had,off a K5,you can pretty much put whatever year you like on but later requires more work ie top triples etc,this was just to easy to pass up.Calipers are a bit later.Ive posted up a conversion chart on here somewhere which lists all measurements and spacers/shims required that was done by a bloke on the TL site,if needed sing out and i can find it for you.

specko
18th January 2012, 19:11
did this mod. shims an spacers from sam on tlplanet. i found by lightly tapping the shims with a block of wood an rubber mallet to get it in the correct position helped on the lower triples. heaps better than stock tls gear. an look awesome 2. i like the smaller gixa fender. your bike looks nice

98tls
18th January 2012, 19:27
did this mod. shims an spacers from sam on tlplanet. i found by lightly tapping the shims with a block of wood an rubber mallet to get it in the correct position helped on the lower triples. heaps better than stock tls gear. an look awesome 2. i like the smaller gixa fender. your bike looks nice

Cheers S,Sams a legend eh.First ride with the forks i just thought "night n day" as you say heaps better.

Drew
18th January 2012, 19:40
What ya doin with the old forks mate?

98tls
18th January 2012, 20:03
What ya doin with the old forks mate?

There currently holding up the shed wall,was going to shorten them a tad and use them in the garden,there in bloody good nick as they were covered in the clear plastic stuff back when i bought the TL and are almost a testament to how how good that clear stuff is,barely a mark on them,got a mod in mind have ya?

Drew
19th January 2012, 05:24
got a mod in mind have ya?Front end on the RF is it's weakest link by far.

ducatilover
20th January 2012, 14:33
Gixxer forks, carbon screen?
I pulled it so hard it broke :blink:

Looks better every time you post a picture.

vifferman
20th January 2012, 18:27
Very nice, Sir! :yes:
Um.... I hope you cleaned that oily-looking crap off your front tyre.... or is it just oily-looking crap that isn't actually oily?:confused:

98tls
21st January 2012, 17:34
Very nice, Sir! :yes:
Um.... I hope you cleaned that oily-looking crap off your front tyre.... or is it just oily-looking crap that isn't actually oily?:confused:

Twas brake fluid mate,things got a bit messy.Just made sure i gave it a good wash afterwards.Didnt feel to good seeing it all over those rims:laugh:but no harm done.

98tls
21st January 2012, 17:40
Gixxer forks, carbon screen?
I pulled it so hard it broke :blink:

Looks better every time you post a picture.

Not so fussed on the Carbon screen to be honest but a bloke made 30 of them and at the time just thought why not,this bit of Carbon will be here next week and is a thing of beauty:laugh:When i put the Carbon front guard on it made my old hugger look well sad,this ones a far nicer shape as well.

ducatilover
21st January 2012, 17:48
Good stuff!
I'm a slight carbon slut, even though I own none...:facepalm:

bogan
21st January 2012, 17:57
Good stuff!
I'm a slight carbon slut, even though I own none...:facepalm:

Imo carbon should be used for engineering reason, and even then, it should be painted. I'm thinking full carbon bodywork for my next Bros, and all of it painted!

Looks like a pretty well shaped bit of kit, and carbon bits are good for getting the weight down, semi sprung too!

ducatilover
21st January 2012, 19:44
Imo carbon should be used for engineering reason, and even then, it should be painted. I'm thinking full carbon bodywork for my next Bros, and all of it painted!

Looks like a pretty well shaped bit of kit, and carbon bits are good for getting the weight down, semi sprung too!
Maybe my eyesight is worse than yours?
Or the fact that my taste is rather fucked and eccentric. :sweatdrop

saul
22nd January 2012, 14:52
There currently holding up the shed wall,was going to shorten them a tad and use them in the garden,there in bloody good nick as they were covered in the clear plastic stuff back when i bought the TL and are almost a testament to how how good that clear stuff is,barely a mark on them,got a mod in mind have ya?

Love the garden shot:laugh:

saul
22nd January 2012, 14:56
Good job on the forks mate. I would like to do that one day as well. The front guard looks great:love:

98tls
22nd January 2012, 17:28
Good job on the forks mate. I would like to do that one day as well. The front guard looks great:love:

The front guard was a bargain off ebay mate,$128 us delivered to my door,am thinking of buying another for no other reason than its so cheap.

SPman
22nd January 2012, 19:25
Are you still running the standard rear shock setup?

98tls
23rd January 2012, 05:11
Are you still running the standard rear shock setup?

No the rotarys been a door stop for many years now.

Drew
23rd January 2012, 09:48
No the rotarys been a door stop for many years now.I've got one in the garage somewhere. You could have a matching pair and use them as book ends if ya wanted.

98tls
25th January 2012, 09:50
I've got one in the garage somewhere. You could have a matching pair and use them as book ends if ya wanted.

Shes right mate,ta for the offer though.:blink:

98tls
25th January 2012, 09:52
Just goes to show theres nothing that cant be changed:laugh:

bogan
25th January 2012, 10:00
haha, at least you picked a subtle color, instead of anodised blue or some shit :p

Hear of the odd guy redoing their bike with ti fasteners and axles etc, removes a lot of weight from bike and wallet! I just went with ZP cap screws for my engine cover, nice and cheap, and shiny!

Drew
26th January 2012, 05:53
haha, at least you picked a subtle color, instead of anodised blue or some shit :p

Hear of the odd guy redoing their bike with ti fasteners and axles etc, removes a lot of weight from bike and wallet! I just went with ZP cap screws for my engine cover, nice and cheap, and shiny!My last race bike had a titanium bolt kit through the entire engine. Inside and out. Reportedly over $10,000 worth. Seemed a bit excessive to me, but 200 horse superbikes are touch different to road bikes.

bogan
30th January 2012, 12:43
My last race bike had a titanium bolt kit through the entire engine. Inside and out. Reportedly over $10,000 worth. Seemed a bit excessive to me, but 200 horse superbikes are touch different to road bikes.

Guy on the hawkforum had ti internals, crank, and rods as well I think, as well as a ti bolts everywhere. Lost over 10kg I'm pretty sure, but was still running a steel subframe which can lose you that much at a fraction of the cost! Can spend stupid money on that sort of thing, I'm hoping to one day! sub-140kg RC31 is the plan.