PDA

View Full Version : Trailer build project

mossy1200
3rd December 2011, 09:42
Just built trailer for summer holidays let me know what you think.

Subike
3rd December 2011, 09:44
very nice,
The MT01 that is

oh the trailer....
with the power of that ride, you would not feel it.
how does it trac on the open road?
whats its load capacity

mossy1200
3rd December 2011, 09:56
best open road (estimate) says 180 brings on a body role effect that maybe a longer hitch would fix.MT is heavy so trailer zero load cant be felt.Trailer is 35 kg.Has suspension which im playing with now.I have at moment approx 30kg load on it and trials ok.Hitch U off axel is 50mm by 10mm steel and im thinking of adding reinforce as i suspect some flex in it.
The bags capacity is 100litres bags conection speed pack,30litres givi and 10 litres lower ally box plus another 5litres in middle bag.Room to add more.
Im picking 50kg would be a max load idd pull.Ill try 30kg while camping this weekend and see what thats like first.
Plan to go South Island Feb with wife so MT01 isnt the best for luggage hence trailer.

hayd3n
3rd December 2011, 10:17
nice work ive been thinking of making something similar but 2x givi boxes side by side and wheel in the middle

mossy1200
3rd December 2011, 10:35
Nice i started with a ex bucket racer ally chassis after seeing the bags connection gear and built to suit.i looked at doing double givi also and even thought about a homemade unigo look but i didnt want a 8 inch scooter wheel on the back.

I guess i was a bit lazy seeing the bucket chassis already had steering head and swingarm.I just added hitch U on eye bearings and a scooter shock.I have a spare scooter shock as it was a pair i go from tard me if your after one for your project.Its a new shock adjustable 320 eye to eye and seems perfect for the loads im pulling

mossy1200
3rd December 2011, 10:37
nice work ive been thinking of making something similar but 2x givi boxes side by side and wheel in the middle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsol9_kY28

thats footage of first stages etc with suspension and hitch

Hitcher
3rd December 2011, 22:00
It may pay to check the regulations http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-your-vehicle/motorcycle-trailer-requirements.html.

I also thought that a law had recently been passed banning motorcycle trailers. Google hasn't turned anything up, so that may just be a nasty rumour.

hayd3n
3rd December 2011, 23:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsol9_kY28

thats footage of first stages etc with suspension and hitch

cool as i only have a 600 hornet ill be towing a lot less weight ,and ill just find a scooter front end and hack it to pieces, or somthing similar

mossy1200
4th December 2011, 12:24
It may pay to check the regulations http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-your-vehicle/motorcycle-trailer-requirements.html.

I also thought that a law had recently been passed banning motorcycle trailers. Google hasn't turned anything up, so that may just be a nasty rumour.

only had it rego and warrented about 3 weeks ago as new trailer at vtnz so idd expect not

mossy1200
4th December 2011, 12:29
cool as i only have a 600 hornet ill be towing a lot less weight ,and ill just find a scooter front end and hack it to pieces, or somthing similar

trailer weight needs be less than half curb weight of bike so idd expect 35kg would be easy for single wheel mines under that .It didnt say if that would need be loaded or bare.Hornet must be about 180+ curb weight prob.Trailer under 2 ton doesnt need certified just standard warrent check and new plate was $110 with 1year warrent 6months rego and new plate.

mossy1200
4th December 2011, 12:39
Camping test run trip tested out ok with 35k load.
6 man tent ,double sleeping bag,2 inflating airbeds,cooking gear and cloths etc for 2 people and lotsa food fits with room for more gear.
6 man tent with 1.9metre head room was wifes camping requirement.Quote "Im not camping unless i can stand up in the tent"

pete-blen
6th December 2011, 06:29
Camping test run trip tested out ok with 35k load.
6 man tent ,double sleeping bag,2 inflating airbeds,cooking gear and cloths etc for 2 people and lotsa food fits with room for more gear.
6 man tent with 1.9metre head room was wifes camping requirement.Quote "Im not camping unless i can stand up in the tent"

Useing a bike frame is a very clever
idea:cool:
And it looks great

trevf
20th December 2011, 21:02
were is the camping site-look nice

The Lone Rider
20th December 2011, 23:29
1st thought - looks well made. I notice you matched the paint to the bike

2nd thought - shit you carry a fair bit when you travel!

Gremlin
21st December 2011, 01:27

If I remember correctly, the law banned trailers on learners and restricted licenses.

Looks like a damn fine job... to be fair, I don't think you're carrying all that much, it's for two people and you're camping. Maybe I just carry too much shit. :innocent:

oneofsix
21st December 2011, 05:23
trailer weight needs be less than half curb weight of bike so idd expect 35kg would be easy for single wheel mines under that .It didnt say if that would need be loaded or bare.Hornet must be about 180+ curb weight prob.Trailer under 2 ton doesnt need certified just standard warrent check and new plate was $110 with 1year warrent 6months rego and new plate.

You are over thinking it. When it says half the curb weight of the bike it doesn't have to say loaded or bare. Whenever you tow it it has to be half the curb weight of the bike, loaded OR bare. If you tow it bare then it is bare, if you are towing it loaded then you can only load it up to half the curb weight (load + plus trailer). At any time the weight trailing behind the bike can only be up to half the curb weight of the bike.

sinfull
21st December 2011, 07:14
Brilliant Idea.... But
Can't help but think A build like this should be certified Looks to me at first glance that there is a hell of a lot of wieght being thrown down on the U plate ! A close up photo of the bikes axle (wieght bearing) point would be nice ?

Great concept though, with the shit we carry when the Mrs comes along !!

mossy1200
31st December 2011, 21:49
Brilliant Idea.... But
Can't help but think A build like this should be certified Looks to me at first glance that there is a hell of a lot of wieght being thrown down on the U plate ! A close up photo of the bikes axle (wieght bearing) point would be nice ?

Great concept though, with the shit we carry when the Mrs comes along !!

search ssmossy1200 on you tube has a bit closer look at the hitch.the axel is 16mm shiney steel turned to 15mm thread for nuts with 1mm thick spacer tube machined to hold 17mm internal 30mm external eye bearings.The U arm is 50mm by 10mm thick and i plan to brace it a bit more just to remove flex.Load is approx centre on trailer wheel and axel.so 35kg load 35kg trailer weight would be 35kgon axel and same on rear.Have just removed trailer now to do fork seals on bike and had a good look at spacers etc for wear and all looks good.

I guess they make rules based on car trailers which are no cert under 2000kg and its likely a bad build on 2ton trailer would be dangerous also.To me it feals safer than overloading a pack rack and side bags with loaded tank bag 2 up but i wouldnt want to load the trailer up to much.Open road feels good under 10kph is the only time it feels unusual.

Also i forgot to mention the U shape is slightly A shaped its 40 mm wider at axel than it is before the bend so that the 2 sides fight against each other to stop sideways sway.Thats why im using eye bearings not standard bearings due to the slight angle.The rear behind bearing has plate welded on and plate bolted on front to prevent bearing movement.

mossy1200
31st December 2011, 22:27
Hope that helps

sinfull
1st January 2012, 08:22
Hope that helps

Cheers for going into this a bit deeper Mossy, i am intrigued with it !
Had a look at ya youtube channel and the pics !

So if you were to un hitch the U bar from the buckets front end pivot point, the U bar would drop down to the ground, IE; pivoting up and down on the bikes axle, am i correct, or are there locking pins to stop this ?

Now i'm not an engineer so should perhaps just shut up, but i like the concept and won't hold back from poking ideas your way to maybe help make it bigger better and stronger !

I can't help but think all the wieght of the trailer is held up by one weld (that being the horizontal plate welded onto the U bar where the buckets pivot is mounted)
Sure the 35kg load + 35kg trailer would be split between the buckets wheel and this point but it's still 35kg at that point ? Add bounce ?
Now again i'm not a physicist but could that 35kg at that point not double or more, if you went over a good wallow, given our roads are not paved in concrete and there's a lot of undulation !
I see in one pic a rod which i presume is a brace for this weld which looks to go to a point directly below the pivot axle ?

Again only an Idea, but i'd be bracing the hell out of it, perhaps adding anothe kg or 3 of steel and several more inches of weld so you can see a crack coming weeks ahead of disaster ! Then i'd be looking to where that stress might transfer to, once i'd done that, which looks like it might be the shaft in the pivot head of the bucket ?

Again, just an idea but have you thought of maybe a couple of steering dampers on the pivot ? Or are they what you can just see pretruding undernieth in the vid ?
To
A/ Help stabilise and slow any slap that may happen under emergency braking
B/ If the shit did hit the fan and the pivot pins welds fractured, they would act as a safety chain effect maybe !

That vid of the naked trailer was cool !
What was the tube that ran from the pivot head internally in sort of the same line as the mono shock ? Looked like it was carrying wiring and what else ?

mossy1200
1st January 2012, 12:32
Cheers for going into this a bit deeper Mossy, i am intrigued with it !
Had a look at ya youtube channel and the pics !

So if you were to un hitch the U bar from the buckets front end pivot point, the U bar would drop down to the ground, IE; pivoting up and down on the bikes axle, am i correct, or are there locking pins to stop this ?

Now i'm not an engineer so should perhaps just shut up, but i like the concept and won't hold back from poking ideas your way to maybe help make it bigger better and stronger !

I can't help but think all the wieght of the trailer is held up by one weld (that being the horizontal plate welded onto the U bar where the buckets pivot is mounted)
Sure the 35kg load + 35kg trailer would be split between the buckets wheel and this point but it's still 35kg at that point ? Add bounce ?
Now again i'm not a physicist but could that 35kg at that point not double or more, if you went over a good wallow, given our roads are not paved in concrete and there's a lot of undulation !
I see in one pic a rod which i presume is a brace for this weld which looks to go to a point directly below the pivot axle ?

Again only an Idea, but i'd be bracing the hell out of it, perhaps adding anothe kg or 3 of steel and several more inches of weld so you can see a crack coming weeks ahead of disaster ! Then i'd be looking to where that stress might transfer to, once i'd done that, which looks like it might be the shaft in the pivot head of the bucket ?

Again, just an idea but have you thought of maybe a couple of steering dampers on the pivot ? Or are they what you can just see pretruding undernieth in the vid ?
To
A/ Help stabilise and slow any slap that may happen under emergency braking
B/ If the shit did hit the fan and the pivot pins welds fractured, they would act as a safety chain effect maybe !

That vid of the naked trailer was cool !
What was the tube that ran from the pivot head internally in sort of the same line as the mono shock ? Looked like it was carrying wiring and what else ?

Tube in the centre was brace and held the coil when it had dt100 engine in it.the Bags connection fron straps that run under the main chasis run back up to it and is there fixing point now one for each side.

The brace is a cut down wheel tire iron.Where it comes up the plate has been drilled so it passes through the plate and is deep welded top and bottom.The end that comes onto the U is the nut end which is deep welded also.The weld on the plate is underneath and it was a angle cut and deep welded from the tire side also so is two side welded.(Engineer did the U bracket welding for me).

The fixing of the shaft is via the original steering head shaft and 2 solid bar with centres drilled out and 14m threads taped and 14mm bolts.A small nut and bolt added to prevent flex also that you can see in one photo.Top of the shaft has a spacer made where top fork clamp was then the original steering head nut.I have added a pin arrangement and lock wire stainless which is classed my safety chain.
Trailer under 2 ton must have safety chain or wire but there is no law as to how big it needs to be.I never take the steering head apart when remove trailer i pull the shaft through my hollow axel like removing a wheel.Takes 5mins to remove and 10 to reinstall.One nut and a cotter pin for removal only.

note the fork tripple clamp is reversed now from the picture so its underneath the chasis.

mossy1200
1st January 2012, 17:37
If I remember correctly, the law banned trailers on learners and restricted licenses.

Looks like a damn fine job... to be fair, I don't think you're carrying all that much, it's for two people and you're camping. Maybe I just carry too much shit. :innocent:

Used camping trip as a load test.True test will be bike rally no passanger and a keg plus undies and socks.

mossy1200
13th January 2012, 22:11
Ordered some from carbon fibre fork guards from ebay which arrived this week.Look good was playing around looking at carbon bits on net and hit the mother ship......

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=438160856

couldnt resist $500 and in the country.Priced them new at about 1800 landed which was outa my budget for a long time but couldnt resist at 5.

mossy1200
24th January 2012, 18:34
Looks like 25th is the South Island trailer escape.Good news is that the ferry isnt going to charge extra for the trailer on the crossings as they dont think when i fold it 90% that it warrents extra cost.$332 return 2 people and bike isnt to bad.Its seems almost the same price as a few years ago.

Fitted the gprs and they sound great and the extra couple horse is noticable I think that it maybe more so because it seems to have extra torque also.They look ok but the gpr clamp mounts arnt the best so im making my own instead.The tail tips arnt the best looking so I may remove the tips and get others when I have nothing better to do.

AllanB
24th January 2012, 21:48
Good job and a innovative approach.

I wonder if the U arm would be better off being fabricated out of a lightish wall rectangular tube stock or similar - lighter and stronger.

mossy1200
25th January 2012, 16:13

I wonder if the U arm would be better off being fabricated out of a lightish wall rectangular tube stock or similar - lighter and stronger.

Im thinking maybe something along this line again using eye bearings and tube steel.
May not have time to make before holiday.I do have enough ally thick bar to reinforce what i do have using the ally as a second skin and taping hex head taper bolts into the steel existing U every 50mm.

mossy1200
28th January 2012, 11:52
Ok I modified U arm so it has more strength and also have it connected to top of triple clamp area to stop shaft movement.Sorry not on bike for photo i needed trailer of mto get bike warrent dont today.They couldnt check swingarm bushes while trailer on back.

mossy1200
29th January 2012, 12:37

swinger upgrade tests alot nicer at low speeds.Seems alot firmer ill leave tube for after trip and do if im not happy as winter project.

98tls
29th January 2012, 12:48
Ordered some from carbon fibre fork guards from ebay which arrived this week.Look good was playing around looking at carbon bits on net and hit the mother ship......

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=438160856

couldnt resist $500 and in the country.Priced them new at about 1800 landed which was outa my budget for a long time but couldnt resist at 5.

Great find,hell of a price.Can you post up a pic of the fork guards please?,ive always just covered mine in scuff -stuff which has worked well protecting forks legs from stone chips etc but these things you have sound good.Trailers simply awesome.

mossy1200
29th January 2012, 12:57
Great find,hell of a price.Can you post up a pic of the fork guards please?,ive always just covered mine in scuff -stuff which has worked well protecting forks legs from stone chips etc but these things you have sound good.Trailers simply awesome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140664578720?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=140664578720&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

98tls
29th January 2012, 13:05
Cheers,there very nice.Had a look through his stuff but sadly none for GSXR forks,does do a nice front guard though.

mossy1200
29th January 2012, 13:07
Cheers,there very nice.Had a look through his stuff but sadly none for GSXR forks,does do a nice front guard though.

Ah thats correct i sent you link for 1000s but you have gsxr front end i remember the write up.

98tls
29th January 2012, 13:40
Ah thats correct i sent you link for 1000s but you have gsxr front end i remember the write up.

Mate i am an idiot,was just out in the shed and glanced at the front end Doh...a set of fork protectors would have worked on the TL forks but not this set up.:facepalm::laugh:Sorry having a blond moment.

mossy1200
29th January 2012, 13:44
Mate i am an idiot,was just out in the shed and glanced at the front end Doh...a set of fork protectors would have worked on the TL forks but not this set up.:facepalm::laugh:Sorry having a blond moment.

looks good carbon road scoup next maybe....

98tls
29th January 2012, 13:53
looks good carbon road scoup next maybe....

I put one on that came from an SV1000 a few years back but just looked wrong,all pointy and orrible.Looks fine on an SV but not this old thing.Pretty much done with spending $ on it anyway,only thing left to do is sort out an exhaust set up,just missed out on a 2/2 (cans on same side) set up but its given me some ideas,am after this sort of thing.fwiw.Apoligies seem to have got somewhat off the thread topic.

mossy1200
1st February 2012, 17:07
Wife comes home from work with package under arm.Drats shes been shopping.

WOW bike bag from Animal charity shop just $4.00.

Nice wifey

Wait now im confused does she want to carry even more luggage on South Island tour?
Was this a self serving gift???
Is she going to buy $500 worth of new clothes on the trip and fill it up???

Im onto you WIFEY.

automan6
1st February 2012, 17:13
this looks awesome Steve..... great job mate.... Send my regards to Sue.. hope i can go camping with you some time soon... as soon as i have my new bike though...lol...:laugh:

mossy1200
5th February 2012, 15:57
Did some more wife trading.Got her a leading bid on hall stand with mirror($50) and some nooky last night in exchange for this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=442881489

Does that make me a Man Wh0re or a Great negotiator?

Anyway ill have good jacket for the trip.Only 3 weeks to go

mossy1200
17th February 2012, 21:37
Counting down days till trailer 2000

7 days to go bad start.Cant find battery charger for camera.I think we may have left it in a hotel in Prague.

Good news found the correct charger on tard me for $13 new and only 3.50 freight.Im glad we started looking early

I got myself a new jacket for the trip as my other one is a bit short in arms and to tight to wear with many cloths underneath.
It arrived this week .The shoulders and arm length with xxl are good but its 2 large around the waist so I have taken it in to be adjusted.Getting 4 inches from the waist removed.Gunna cost $90 due to the construction of webs and liner but still at $440 total I think worth it.The jacket itself is actually better quality than I was expecting.

Ferry crossing booked at $322 return and they arnt charging for the trailer.Found 4 tie downs.

Should be able to meet 98tls(Mike) in Oamaru and ride up to March Hare.Last time I went was going on 18years ago.Prob hasnt changed alot.Still hoping wifey will change her mind and stay overnight but looks like a day trip.Maybe ill sneaky sneaky a small tent before we leave and try get it on trailer the salvation army a hord of blankets in Oamaru on the Sat morning.Think Oamaru op-shoping be cheaper than posting sleeping bags anyway but ill prob catch a evil lurgy scratchy from the blankets and die.best I wrap myself in gladwrap before bed becuse even if i washed Oamaru bedding i might get giardia.LOL

Booked Cat into catery and im guessing she will hate us for having to do hard time inside but shes been kinda naughty lately so I wont hold it against myself.

Anyone else crossing Interislander 1pm crossing Welly to Picton 25th feb?

98tls
17th February 2012, 22:17
If it helps with the Mrs mate she can always head back to ours Sunday morning and shower/do women things etc if need be.Just a thought as its only a 20 minute ride if you take the main road.Sounds like an animal or 2 wont bother her.

The Lone Rider
27th February 2012, 18:57
You arent in the South Island at the moment are you? Swear I saw your bike and trailer today.

mossy1200
8th March 2012, 18:50
You arent in the South Island at the moment are you? Swear I saw your bike and trailer today.
Yeah have been for 2 weeks so far first time pc today

mossy1200
9th March 2012, 15:31
2500km trailer run completed with no issues.

mossy1200
13th March 2012, 20:41
Found some more carbon fibre bling to add.Same supplier as fork guards which were good quality.

mossy1200
21st March 2012, 16:55
new bling has arrived already 7days to my door from States

mossy1200
27th March 2012, 20:21
http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/info_BSTMT_01.html

Mossy wants.So much monies

mossy1200
27th March 2012, 21:14
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Tomok-Rear-Side-Mirrors-Yamaha-MT01-XJR1300-WR250-/270791899595?hash=item3f0c7479cb&item=270791899595&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

its as close as ill get to those wheel .LOL.Waiting for freighting again now

Dodgy1
6th July 2012, 12:03
Mate thanks for sharing this!! A friend of mine and myself were going to build trailers for our Bandits and were thinking along the same lines as your tow hitch. Do you mind if I copy it??

mossy1200
6th July 2012, 12:12
Mate thanks for sharing this!! A friend of mine and myself were going to build trailers for our Bandits and were thinking along the same lines as your tow hitch. Do you mind if I copy it??

All good. Idd use tube steel on the hitch and spend a extra 100 doing so to prevent flex. Mines ok with load at 30kg but has low speed flex over 35kg. Its only noticable over harsh bumps under 20kmph.

Dodgy1
6th July 2012, 12:25
All good. Idd use tube steel on the hitch and spend a extra 100 doing so to prevent flex. Mines ok with load at 30kg but has low speed flex over 35kg. Its only noticable over harsh bumps under 20kmph.

Awesome thanks. I may be taking a trip to wellywood to visit my sister so may look you up and have a gander at it first hand

mossy1200
6th July 2012, 12:27
Awesome thanks. I may be taking a trip to wellywood to visit my sister so may look you up and have a gander at it first hand

Yes PM me and ill give you phone number.

Dodgy1
15th July 2012, 15:28
Yes PM me and ill give you phone number.

Looks like the weather gods have put the brakes on any plans I had for this week :mad: I'll flick ya pm shortly