PDA

View Full Version : Learner legal traffic beater?

bingslayer
8th December 2011, 19:12
hey guys, newbie here:sweatdrop

Just wondering if I could get some opinions on a some learner legal traffic blasters. I cant help but get jealous when Im sitting in 5:00pm traffic everyday and a biker filters past while Im going nowhere fast.

while I dont have a licence yet, I do have a decent amount of experience having raced 80cc and 125cc MX and riding my '81 XT500 on the road in my home country on and off for years, so yeah Im not really looking for a typical "good to learn on" bike.

I dont really want to spend much more than 2.5k as I will proberly be upgrading when my licence allows to a 525exc or similar.

I would like a motard type of bike as I naturaly feel much more at home on a MX bike than a sports. I have been eyeing out the KLX250 D-tracker, it definately looks the part but how does it perform? Would it beat most cars to the other side of the intersection?

Im also tempted to exploit the 250cc limit and get a rmx/kdx/ktm exc 250 2-smoker and put some road wheels on:yes: , bearing in mind that this will be my daily commuter, and will not be ridden over 80km let alone on motorways or at night and only about 30mins at a time.Its mostly filterability and off the mark acceleration that concerns me. How would fuel economy be on the road?

anyone got some ideas?

Cheers

unstuck
8th December 2011, 19:41
Gidday and welcome, my first bit of advice would be to try and sort out that need to beat everyone else away from the lights/ intersections. As for what bike, try a few out and see what feels right.:yes:

Phreaky Phil
8th December 2011, 19:52
Hey man this is the adventure section. That means going where the traffic aint. Unless you call sheep or tractors traffic.

bingslayer
8th December 2011, 19:58
Hi , thanks for the welcome.

yeah I know what you are thinking;) but Im not planning on racing anyone , just need the grunt to get ahead once i have filtered at the lights and have the road to myself for a while, which doesnt take much effort on any decent bike. Nothing reckless:yes:

bingslayer
8th December 2011, 20:00
Hey man this is the adventure section. That means going where the traffic aint. Unless you call sheep or tractors traffic.

Its also called dual purpose, which the above bikes I have mentioned are.

chainsawbike
8th December 2011, 21:17
i have a 1999 klx250 (not d-tracker) - its quite happy round town, but there is not much acceleration left after 80 kph ( 120 is about the top sustainable speed on a flat road with no wind ) easily gets me infront of the traffic at intersections, assuming no-one is in a really big hurry :)

but seemingly the d-tracker model has a few more horses packed in it - 11kw vs 22kw according to my manual so ymmv...

nzspokes
8th December 2011, 21:26
The first bike away from the lights is the first to get hit buy the red light runner.

dino3310
8th December 2011, 21:55

i dont know about that mate, my XR does bloody well around town and that can be an adventure at times:laugh:

dino3310
8th December 2011, 21:57
one of those 230 2smokers with motard rims would be a blast around town, DT yammy i think they are called

young1
8th December 2011, 21:57
Re fuel economy of two strokes, Marks has done lots of kilometers on a DT200 so he may be able to offer advice.

pete-blen
9th December 2011, 06:32
Re fuel economy of two strokes, Marks has done lots of kilometers on a DT200 so he may be able to offer advice.

2 smoke... theres this on TM....
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-391869403.htm

lone_slayer
9th December 2011, 06:49
If you are interested I have a GSXR250 it is a sports bike but they are also an IL4 so next best thing for power next to a 2 stroke. Just got my full so iam selling with all the road gear for 2600 on Trade me this mon-tues it goes on, but if you beat me to putting it on there i could do 2500 (and avoid putting it on so u can check it out). Iam 6'1" and 105kgs and this bike halls arse ive had her up to 160 and there is plenty more go. also have a few spare parts (tank, forks, CDI + a few others) these bikes are real screamers with a 17,000rpm redline. They have a 6 speed box and 6th gear is comfortable cruising at 120+ (if I was to keep it I would probably change the gearing so 6th was comfortable at 100) which would give you even more acceleration (not that it needs it).

Gear includes Jacket, Pants, Gloves, Helmet all brought New just over a year ago and size 11/12 boots(euro 46) which where used and have a few scrapes Jacket and pants have all the winter stuff 2.

Check out my ad on here if your interested

bungbung
9th December 2011, 13:37
http://www.ktm.com/naked-bike/200-duke-eu/highlights.html