PDA

View Full Version : Sable's Suzuki GT cafe racer

Sable
10th December 2011, 16:40
1978 GT250 X7. Braced swingarm drilled disc VFR400 brake caliper and master with custom made braided steel line. Koni shocks. Clipons. DNA pods
New paint all bearings replaced new fork seals.

To do:
Adapt ZXR750 rearsets, install indicators tail light and mirror, drop instruments, attach seat foam, chop up RG250 chambers to suit.

Motor comes back from being professionally rebuilt on the 16th with oversize TS125 pistons bringing it to something like 290cc, stage
2 porting and custom made fibreglass reeds, squish correctly set etc, port heights matched.

Can't wait. :pinch:

Will update as I progress

nzspokes
10th December 2011, 17:06
Thats very cool. Ya gunna have fun on it.

unstuck
10th December 2011, 18:18
Nice, good job.:2thumbsup

AllanC
12th December 2011, 12:26
looks cool, well done!

Sable
12th December 2011, 17:43
Cheers. Hope it doesn't sieze on me haha

AllanC
13th December 2011, 08:54
Keep the faith!

avgas
13th December 2011, 14:49
Put a Impulse motor in it! With a 4-into-4 system! :scooter:

Edbear
13th December 2011, 15:23
Back in the day they said the X7 was the first 100mph 250! A classic bike!

Sable
13th December 2011, 19:05
The last iteration of this motor with the standard size ts125 pistons and ports cleaned up not modified did 200 down the back straight of manfield with standard pipes so I see no reason to doubt it

SPman
13th December 2011, 19:25
Sounds good.

I really should do something similar with my '78 GT250.......

F5 Dave
15th December 2011, 15:57
yeah I had TS pistons in mine back in the day. Took me a while to get running without blowing head gaskets until I got some copper ones made, but I didn't correct the squish clearance so lost some potential power there.

Have to be careful with the cranks. they aren't over engineered.

Sable
18th December 2011, 05:48
Yeah the cranks are pretty shit. Next time I'm gonna see if I can get some CR125 rods in there so I can use bigger bearings

F5 Dave
18th December 2011, 06:55
if there is room to bore the crankpins out then a bigger big end bearing must help, presumably they are captive pins on one side so would have to bore the original away. You'd want to have a decent engineer attempt that to get it straight & strong enough for a twin.

Blackbird
18th December 2011, 08:38

Great bikes! This is a photo of me with our eldest son and his X7 in the mid-90's. A fantastic machine and I regret selling it. As fate would have it, I've discovered where it is. It hasn't been used for nearly a decade and the current owner has also amassed several boxes of spares. He's not currently interested in parting with it, but I'm working on that!!:laugh:

Enjoy!!

Sable
18th December 2011, 17:39

Great bikes! This is a photo of me with our eldest son and his X7 in the mid-90's. A fantastic machine and I regret selling it. As fate would have it, I've discovered where it is. It hasn't been used for nearly a decade and the current owner has also amassed several boxes of spares. He's not currently interested in parting with it, but I'm working on that!!:laugh:

Enjoy!!

Cool man, if you do get it you know what to do :sunny:

Motor's in now too, took a picture

Blackbird
18th December 2011, 17:52
That's going to be a great-looking bike! Have you had any correspondence with Guy Jackson in the UK? He runs this website: http://www.suzuki-gt.co.uk/. I had some discussions with him some time ago and he's keen to post any photos of X7's in NZ.

ducatilover
18th December 2011, 18:22
Grouse little machine! Will be watching this build.

Sable
18th December 2011, 18:45
That's going to be a great-looking bike! Have you had any correspondence with Guy Jackson in the UK? He runs this website: http://www.suzuki-gt.co.uk/. I had some discussions with him some time ago and he's keen to post any photos of X7's in NZ.
Yeah, thought I'd send him some pictures when it's properly finished. It's more modded than anything else on there :yes:

Sable
20th December 2011, 18:32
Got clutch hooked up missing bolts sized up removed most alloy corrosion sussed engine mounting bolts filled transmission oil connected and tidied up wiring and lowered instruments. No photo but with luck it might be running tomorrow. To do: fill and bleed oil injection system tidy paint fit indicators and taillight find missing chain master link clip (Regina 525 if anyone has one) and refit standard pipes for running in, then modify RG chambers and ZXR rearsets. Pissed off that my sidestand and tacho cable have gone walkies, I suspect they were in one of the boxes of parts I gave the guy I sold my GB to. :facepalm:

Blackbird
20th December 2011, 18:42
I suspect they were in one of the boxes of parts I gave the guy I sold my GB to. :facepalm:

It was a GB which got me back into riding in the 80's - beautiful bikes. This was mine, with and without aftermarket fairing in midnight blue metallic paint. They made great cafe racers too!

Sable
20th December 2011, 18:46
Great bikes. Mine had Konis, harder fork springs, cycleworks pipe and 40 thou kms. Fun in corners and frugal on gas but shit on the open road. Wish I never sold it really