PDA

View Full Version : Edwards, Mailing Passes and Clarence Open Weekend

Crim
11th December 2011, 19:12
I am thinking of organising a trip (to make up for missing the DB1K - bugger it all!) mid Jan to get a decent ride in before I start my new job if anyone is keen.
Plan is to leave Christchurch morning of Jan 12th head up to Hanmer do Edwards and Mailing passes camp up there that night and then head back down the Inland Road Fri Jan 13th to the Clarence Reserve for the 12 noon open time, head in camp overnight a full day exploring on the Sat and then head back to Christchurch. Would work out which pass to do first and where to camp on the first night dependent on whether any NADS were coming down, because of the noon opening of the Clarence reserve on the Friday there would be no time pressure which would enable a quick blat into Kaikoura to gas up. Josh, would be a perfect shake down of the new bike prior to the DB1K!

thepom
12th December 2011, 09:03
sounds like a plan.....

pete-blen
12th December 2011, 12:47
Sounds like a good blast...
Quick run though the Molesworth to meet up
with yers... Hummmm ..food for thought...

Crim
12th December 2011, 17:17
Hey Pete - if ya want to come down Rainbow we could meet up at Lake Tennyson and start from the North?

Also investigating the possibility of not having to tar seal it from Hanmer to the Inland Road, reckon we could get from the Hanmer river over?

Crim

pete-blen
12th December 2011, 20:38
Hey Pete - if ya want to come down Rainbow we could meet up at Lake Tennyson and start from the North?

Also investigating the possibility of not having to tar seal it from Hanmer to the Inland Road, reckon we could get from the Hanmer river over?

Crim

I have been told there's a road from the Molesworth though to the Clarence..
Its prob a private road /track thats not opend up to the public.. Don't know
if it joins up to the Clarence road... It would have to cross the river...I was told
about it by a guy I worked with at the salt works at lake grassmare .. He dose the Molesworth
Canada goose shoot most years...

cooneyr
12th December 2011, 21:00
I have been told there's a road from the Molesworth though to the Clarence..
Its prob a private road /track thats not opend up to the public.. Don't know...

I've looked at aerials, topos, and legal road boundaries a few times for this route. Route on Topo's is incomplete and looks like some pretty nasty terrain through a gorge. Aerials look like their "might" be something but gets a bit vague at the the gorge again. Certainly not a legal road through there.

Cheers R

Crim
13th December 2011, 07:36
I've looked at aerials, topos, and legal road boundaries a few times for this route. Route on Topo's is incomplete and looks like some pretty nasty terrain through a gorge. Aerials look like their "might" be something but gets a bit vague at the the gorge again. Certainly not a legal road through there.

Cheers R

Reckon it may be a bridge to far to try and get through to the Clarence Reserve but it looks like it might be a go through to Waiau and straight onto the Inland Road, looks like a farm track from the river right onto Mt Paul Rd, will do some research and get an owner's name and ask the question

thepom
13th December 2011, 11:16
Might not make it as my xt starter motor is munted,filled with water thru a seal and overhauled it last night but no luck......any one if some one has a spare willing to sell?????

NordieBoy
15th December 2011, 09:46
Might not make it as my xt starter motor is munted,filled with water thru a seal and overhauled it last night but no luck......any one if some one has a spare willing to sell?????

Clean the commutator and a dremel wire wheel works wonders on the brushes.

thepom
16th December 2011, 10:29
Overhauled it but it still makes a really bad noise turning it over but goes once running.....will see if it gets less or goes away....

pete-blen
16th December 2011, 12:47
Overhauled it but it still makes a really bad noise turning it over but goes once running.....will see if it gets less or goes away....

If its making a noise... its either from the commutator or berrings/bushes..
If yer don't have access to a lathe .. turn the armiture in a drill press &
hold fine sand paper on the commutator.. replace the berrings..
don't buy yamaha berrings... take it to a berring outlet..

thepom
17th December 2011, 08:39
[LE

Cleaned the commutater and roughed it it up a bit and the bearing looked ok,will run it this week and if its still bad I ll pull it again and see what the problem is.......

Crim
26th December 2011, 18:28
Sounds like you have a ride jacked up Pete, and looks like Kenny is on the injured list (how is the leg, hope you'll be right for the DB1K?) - lucky as blinkin' wife, kids, job, house and other inconsequential stuff may bugger up my plans again :facepalm: now may be a quick ride into the clarence on the Sat (14th or so) and the solo tent may not even get an airing :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: this year

pete-blen
26th December 2011, 19:55
Sounds like you have a ride jacked up Pete, and looks like Kenny is on the injured list (how is the leg, hope you'll be right for the DB1K?) - lucky as blinkin' wife, kids, job, house and other inconsequential stuff may bugger up my plans again :facepalm: now may be a quick ride into the clarence on the Sat (14th or so) and the solo tent may not even get an airing :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: this year

Yer..But I still might go on the 13th.. take the XR & sidecar in..
Stay over night... maybe,, see how things pan out..

Transalper
26th December 2011, 20:45
Edwards river is a much more respectable level now, just been through with cynna on the mountain bikes.

cooneyr
27th December 2011, 09:01
Edwards river is a much more respectable level now, just been through with cynna on the mountain bikes.

Compared to when we went through back before Christmas? Curious as to what the possible flow ranges are cause I'd have through it was about normal when we went through?

Transalper
27th December 2011, 10:07
Compared to when we went through back before Christmas? Curious as to what the possible flow ranges are cause I'd have through it was about normal when we went through?

Yep lot less current and a bit shallower on Christmas day, lot less intimidating.
Flow on ECAN is down a bit under 9 cumec now too (Clarance-Jollies (http://www.ecan.govt.nz/services/online-services/monitoring/river-flows/Pages/river-flow-chart.aspx?SiteNo=62105) is closest one I was watching) Was over 15 I think when I was on the Transalp.