PDA

View Full Version : BIMOTA TESI 2D

zadok
20th July 2005, 11:29
How about this for a radically designed bike? I quite like it. I know not everyone will think so, but please feel free to comment.

bugjuice
20th July 2005, 11:51
i think it's mental. where do I sign?

zadok
20th July 2005, 11:58
This is the link by the way: http://www.bimota.it/scheda_tesi2d_1_eng.htm
Enjoy!

vifferman
20th July 2005, 11:59
Yeah, me too, except I don't like the servicing requirements of the engine, and that zorst looks too Buell-like and too susceptible to damage when I ride over curbs and the like...

Bartman10
20th July 2005, 12:01
I'm not so sure about it. It looks like its back-to-front.

Pixie
20th July 2005, 12:02
FYI for the younger ones of us,the Tesi (Italian for thesis) line goes back to the mid '80's,when some Phd students designed it for Bimota

Oakie
20th July 2005, 12:06
Looks as if it's been well designed by good engineers who have never ridden a bike. The positioning and orientation of some bits just seems impractical in the real world.

Kickaha
20th July 2005, 12:26
Awesome, but I'm a big fan of alternative front ends on bikes instead of boring old tele forks, but the Tesi isn't really a new idea thay've been around for a while

Toast
20th July 2005, 13:36
I read a review in some mag or on some website, where a journo took a prototype 'round a track. Apparently it was suprememly confidence inspiring, and for the power it had (60-70hp I think), it was apparently keeping a new sportbike in its sights.

Sensei
20th July 2005, 16:57
Looks like its upside down or something . Had that front end on a Yamaha years back don't work then & I'd say still doesn't .Gotta try tho .

idb
20th July 2005, 17:20
I definitely want one!!!!
I understand that the problems they had with the first ones were due to excessive wear in the steering linkages but this was sorted years ago.

slob
20th July 2005, 17:25
I'd imagine it would handle like a dream - think it weighs something like 150kgs dry.

On the other hand, I remember some article in Two Wheels mag commenting that all those linkages would probably require a fair bit of maintenance to keep them working!

Kickaha
20th July 2005, 17:42
Looks like its upside down or something . Had that front end on a Yamaha years back don't work then & I'd say still doesn't .Gotta try tho .

They had it on the earlier Tesi about that same time and it had good reports about it,generally things like this fail because your average motorcyclist is to scared to try anything that doesnt involve telescopic forks

I definitely want one!!!!
I understand that the problems they had with the first ones were due to excessive wear in the steering linkages but this was sorted years ago.

I think it was about every 10,000km they had to have a going over or be replaced and it wasn't cheap to do,I'll go through my pile of magazines and see if I can find the test

idb
20th July 2005, 17:45
Has anyone seen a price on them yet?

Flyingpony
20th July 2005, 17:52
At least the right foot will be warm from the exhaust.

DEATH_INC.
20th July 2005, 17:52
I love it! This was the prototype.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1634

Coyote
20th July 2005, 17:56
I think it looks bloody awesome! Does it have a fairing or will it be as is?

Allthough, the offset air intake does look a bit funny, should've kept it symmetrical

oldfart
20th July 2005, 17:59
The emporer's cloths are missing, ie fucking ugly heap of spaghetti crap :devil2:

Sensei
20th July 2005, 18:20
[QUOTE=Kickaha]They had it on the earlier Tesi about that same time and it had good reports about it,generally things like this fail because your average motorcyclist is to scared to try anything that doesnt involve telescopic forks

Yea looked abit better than this tho . The piece I read said the front felt vage through the fact of to many linkages . Haven't riden one so will just have to believe what has been written I suppose ?

Motu
20th July 2005, 20:34
I've seen an early Tesi riding around in Auckland,it's gob smackingly gorgeous in the flesh.Yamaha did a centre hub bike as well,more a sports tourer,the GTS 1000.

GTS 1000 (http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/025982/)

Shagg
21st July 2005, 09:32
Has anyone seen a price on them yet?

TWO magazine has them at 27,875 Stirling.... which today will cost you NZD71,529... approx

Hmmmm... maybe a second hand one then....

Still, its good to see Bimota is back and on the market... and still as innovative as ever!

:drinkup:

Pixie
21st July 2005, 09:48
I'd imagine it would handle like a dream - think it weighs something like 150kgs dry.

On the other hand, I remember some article in Two Wheels mag commenting that all those linkages would probably require a fair bit of maintenance to keep them working!
How much maintainance does a car's steering require?

Ixion
21st July 2005, 09:58
Mrs Ixion (shoulder surfing again) had just rendered final and definative judgement . "It looks like the bike making machinery got constipated and then vomited" she says.

/me likes the idea of hub centre steering but.

SimJen
21st July 2005, 10:25
I read a review in some mag or on some website, where a journo took a prototype 'round a track. Apparently it was suprememly confidence inspiring, and for the power it had (60-70hp I think), it was apparently keeping a new sportbike in its sights.

It was Alan Cathcart (renowned journalist) I read the same article. Sounded like it handled very well. But then its a bit of a strange looking beast. And they only seem to handle well until the bearings etc wear.
I read some stuff on the Britten that said they always fought with the front end handling, at one point they ended up squeezing the rose joints in a vice which gave them 10 or so laps of good handling before it started chattering again.....by this time they had annihalated the opposition anyway :)

idb
21st July 2005, 10:44
today will cost you NZD71,529... approx

Rrrriiiight....thanks for that....I might just take this one for a test ride instead......

White trash
22nd July 2005, 18:29
They had it on the earlier Tesi about that same time and it had good reports about it,generally things like this fail because your average motorcyclist is to scared to try anything that doesnt involve telescopic forks

Bullshit. If "things like this" were any fucken good to start with, my good mate Rossi would be riding something similar. And don't try and tell me no GP teams have ever tried it, or I'll get Gav onto ya!

But, in regard to the bike pictured, Bimota have NEVER built an unsexy bike. Even the Mantra is ugly as fuck, but also insanely exotic and beautifully put together. Every single Bimota gets top spec parts, no cheap shit. This machine is no exception and I'd gladdly have it in the garage "just because".

Kickaha
22nd July 2005, 19:07
Bullshit. If "things like this" were any fucken good to start with, my good mate Rossi would be riding something similar. And don't try and tell me no GP teams have ever tried it, or I'll get Gav onto ya!

Go and get fucked (I mean that in the nicest possible way) :yes:

Elf Honda team used them without much sucess( just so you don't have to call Gav)

Any road test I have read about the GTS Yamaha or Tesi they wank on about how good the bikes handled,they even raced a GTS in some series overseas (fuck knows why)http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/gts.htm

If the amount of money they've used developing the Tele forks was put into alternative front ends I would bet you your poxy Suzuki (fuck hang on I think I got a Suzuki somewhere) they could come up with something better :yes:

Get Tony Foales book on frame and suspension design and have a look at all the shit they tried in there, some of the experiments were very interesting,

Ixion
22nd July 2005, 19:18

Elf Honda team used them without much sucess( just so you don't have to call Gav)

Any road test I have read about the GTS Yamaha or Tesi they wank on about how good the bikes handled,they even raced a GTS in some series overseas (fuck knows why)http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/gts.htm

If the amount of money they've used developing the Tele forks was put into alternative front ends I would bet you your poxy Suzuki (fuck hang on I think I got a Suzuki somewhere) they could come up with something better :yes:

Get Tony Foales book on frame and suspension design and have a look at all the shit they tried in there, some of the experiments were very interesting,

Tony Foale "Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design - The Art and Science" for those interested . Or the earlier and shorter "Motorcycle Chassis Design - Theory and Practice’"

"Something better" ? BMW telelever ? Vincent Girdraulic ? Or the old BMW Earles fork. Not advocating any, just putting up for debate. And I don't (alas) have personal experience of any of them

White trash
22nd July 2005, 19:18

I'll bet you do, you dirty bitch.

I agree, they *probably* have their place, most likely with boring old bastards looking to update their 700,000kay XJ550. But the Bimota is s'posed to be a sportsbike, and if telescopic forks are ultimately better (which they obviously are) then surely they should be fitted? I know about "being different" and all that sort of shit and that's where they hold any appeal to a dashing young fellah such as myself, but not enough to give up my Gixxer.

Why spend the money developing tele front ends then? There's only a certain number of ways to atach the front wheel of a motorcycle to the rest of it and strangely, tele forks have PROVEN to be best.

You know I would, but they've all been snapped up by anorak wearing bucket racers with delusions of coming up with the next "big idea". (And I can't read)

You said it yourself. If Honda couldn't make it work right, I doubt anyone can.

Kickaha
22nd July 2005, 20:48
Why spend the money developing tele front ends then? There's only a certain number of ways to atach the front wheel of a motorcycle to the rest of it and strangely, tele forks have PROVEN to be best.

Have they really proven to be the best though? I would say they've proven to be the most cost effective :yes:

skidz
22nd July 2005, 21:03
Was the muffler an afterthought?

DEATH_INC.
22nd July 2005, 21:10
Have they really proven to be the best though? I would say they've proven to be the most cost effective :yes:
Maybe.
But with teles you get front end dive(under brakes) and flex (all the time)both of which the 'funny'frontends try to eliminate,but oddly, as with many things on bikes,seem to make 'em work better,not worse.Look at the various anti-dive systems over the years,some hydraulic,some mechanical,but all history now.
I think it'll be a while before a viable alternative to forks comes along.(maybe that big assed single fork I've seen on some h***a prototypes will be a acceptable compromise?)

DEATH_INC.
22nd July 2005, 21:16
here's a proper pic of the prototype

Ixion
22nd July 2005, 21:16
Maybe.
But with teles you get front end dive(under brakes) and flex (all the time)both of which the 'funny'frontends try to eliminate,but oddly, as with many things on bikes,seem to make 'em work better,not worse.Look at the various anti-dive systems over the years,some hydraulic,some mechanical,but all history now.
I think it'll be a while before a viable alternative to forks comes along.(maybe that big assed single fork I've seen on some h***a prototypes will be a acceptable compromise?)

BMW telelever ain't history. They're selling a lot of BMWs with it.Chin wag in BMW circles is basically that Telelever is not as good as telescopics under racing conditions , but better for road work. Which may sum up the reason why none of the non-tele ideas have taken off. Most road bike designs copy what's used on the racers. Even when it's not the best idea. BMW would be an exception, they usually are, sometime for better sometimes for worse.

NordieBoy
22nd July 2005, 21:37
FYI for the younger ones of us,the Tesi (Italian for thesis) line goes back to the mid '80's,when some Phd students designed it for Bimota

Frederico Martini designed the Tesi and when he joined Gilera he designed the CX.

DEATH_INC.
22nd July 2005, 21:37
I meant telescopic forks.......sorry.
I think you could tie sticks to the front of a beemer instead of forks and people would still buy it.......doesn't necessaraly make it better though(spose it doen't mean its not either I guess...) I think if it was then the big four would be sinking much cash into making a new frontend design even just for road use.....

White trash
22nd July 2005, 21:40
Frederico Martini designed the Tesi and when he joined Gilera he designed the CX.

Quite right. And fuck me did I want one of them when I was a kid. Gorgeous. Peter Daniels had one at Bike Clinic in a horrible green colour.

James Deuce
22nd July 2005, 21:57
Quite right. And fuck me did I want one of them when I was a kid. Gorgeous. Peter Daniels had one at Bike Clinic in a horrible green colour.

Nearly bought that for Heather to get her license, but then I screwed up and broke her ankle and she didn't want to get her license any more for some reason.

James Deuce
22nd July 2005, 21:58
BMW telelever ain't history. They're selling a lot of BMWs with it.Chin wag in BMW circles is basically that Telelever is not as good as telescopics under racing conditions , but better for road work. Which may sum up the reason why none of the non-tele ideas have taken off. Most road bike designs copy what's used on the racers. Even when it's not the best idea. BMW would be an exception, they usually are, sometime for better sometimes for worse.

Don't forget the Duolever setup on the new K1200S and R. That is getting some seriously good reviews from sport oriented mags, plus the Boxer cup is getting replaced with the K1200S, so that will be a good race test.

NordieBoy
23rd July 2005, 14:19
One of the main problems with the Tesi's front swingarm was it touching down and unweighting the front wheel.
Not ideal for some reason :D

DEATH_INC.
24th July 2005, 17:37
Some more...

Sensei
24th July 2005, 20:01
Don't forget the Duolever setup on the new K1200S and R. That is getting some seriously good reviews from sport oriented mags, plus the Boxer cup is getting replaced with the K1200S, so that will be a good race test.

Just read Mag with write up on BMW . They said it handled like a Mid 90's CBR1000 Humm . Now that cann't be good is it ???