PDA

View Full Version : CBTA Information

Eurygnomes
20th July 2005, 12:01
Hey all,

I've applied for my CBTA Restricted today (will let you know if i get accepted) and I got some information from Roadsafe pertaining to it. I thought some of you may like to know:

·On successfully completing the course, the rider will be able to pass to the next stage of their license without having to sit a practical riding test.

·A rider who successfully completes each course and assessment will be able to reduce the time on their learner license from 6 months to 4 months, and their restricted license from 18 months to 9 months.

·A rider over the age of 25 years who has held another full class of driver license for 2 years or more, and successfully completes each course and assessment, can move through each class of license without any time restrictions.

·A rider over the age of 25 years who has NOT held another full class of driver license for 2 years or more, and successfully completes each course and assessment, will need to hold their learner license for 4 months, and their restricted license for 3 months before applying for the next stage of their license.

PM me if you'd like the document itself.

Nomes - hopefully on the Aug 17th course

Str8 Jacket
20th July 2005, 12:18
Good Luck chick! :niceone: Im sure you'll be fine, just try not to look at Andrews teeth . . . :whistle:

·A rider over the age of 25 years who has NOT held another full class of driver license for 2 years or more, and successfully completes each course and assessment, will need to hold their learner license for 4 months, and their restricted license for 3 months before applying for the next stage of their license.

Thats awesome, looks like I'll be rid of the "L" plate sooner than I thought! :Punk:

Slingshot
20th July 2005, 14:13
Look out everyone...the GN gang is hitting the roads....:no:

:rofl:

outlawtorn
20th July 2005, 14:27
born to be wild.....

Str8 Jacket
20th July 2005, 15:03
:nya: And that is all Ive got to say to both of you. :ride:

steved
20th July 2005, 16:19
I've applied for my CBTA Restricted today (will let you know if i get accepted) and I got some information from Roadsafe pertaining to it. I thought some of you may like to know:
I got accepted for the 13th August course in Auckland recently. As long as you have less than 40 demerit points, you should be fine.

Interesting idea this course. I take it this is still a trial and not available country-wide?

DingDong
20th July 2005, 18:45
I got accepted for the 13th August course in Auckland recently. As long as you have less than 40 demerit points, you should be fine.

Interesting idea this course. I take it this is still a trial and not available country-wide?

No one Ive talked to at LTSA has any idea WTF Im enquiring about? Im very keen to participate... however I have lost 40 demerit points.

Who can I ring in AKL to find out what I need to do? (or better yet Tauranga)

steved
21st July 2005, 15:27
No one Ive talked to at LTSA has any idea WTF Im enquiring about? Im very keen to participate... however I have lost 40 demerit points.

Who can I ring in AKL to find out what I need to do? (or better yet Tauranga)http://www.passrite.co.nz/cycles.asp

Selected from this page:

CBTA Motorcycle Courses

PassRite is currently running the Land Transport NZ trail for competency based training and assessment for motorcycle licensing in the Auckland region.

These courses have been introduced by Land Transport NZ as a trial to help motorcycle riders with experience and competency in riding motorcycles to proceed through the graduate driver licence system by reducing and in some cases eliminating the time frames.

There are two parts to this trial:

Part 1 Learner to Restricted course

Competency Training & Assessment course (CBTAR) for those that hold a Class 6 Learners licence.

For those on a Learners Licence (6L) moving to Restricted Licence

So it looks like this is an Auckland only thing, and possibly only with Passrite. If you are keen, it takes a little while to get okayed by the LTSA so you might want to apply early.

_Gina_
21st July 2005, 15:37
So is the 'Less than 40 demerit points thing' absolute?

poorbastard
21st July 2005, 16:21
. As long as you have less than 40 demerit points, you should be fine.

40 demerits :gob: buga was going to try and do the course as well. Looks like i'll be waiting the 18 months then and ther not even from on my bike :mad:

steved
22nd July 2005, 09:21
I'm not an employee of LTSA so I can't answer that definitively. The 40 demerit points figure was passed onto me by an employee of Passrite so is probably based on anecdotal evidence. However, it seems a reasonable figure. The course is based around allowing 'responsible' riders/drivers to progress more quickly.

Eurygnomes
22nd July 2005, 10:54
The 40 demerit points stands! They, understandably in my opinion, want to have some descriptive measure of determining the recklessness of the people they accept onto the course!

It's not JUST an AKL thing...(look at Str8 and I are from!)...it's being done in ONLY the main centres though (something on the piece of paper said there was somewhere in CHCH...). It IS only a trial at the moment - if it works, they'll roll it out. LTSA are intending to measure whether it works based on comparing incidents involving CBTA graduates with 'normal' graduates to see whether they're safer, more reckless, the same.

If the same or safer - then we get it rolled out.

I'll be out of hte country anyway - so LTSA won't be getting my data!!! Mwahahahah!

outlawtorn
22nd July 2005, 13:38
Just like to warn everyone, check with Passrite and the LTSA because I have recently been put on a 3 month waiting list until I get my full license because I haven't held a NZ driving license for 2 year, although I have held a South african one since 96. Just a warning.

bondagebunny
30th July 2005, 13:50
that tessl you how to get a licence thru PASSRITE and shows pictures of a guy doing their test on a MC wearing a cycle helmet.

Fuck me how do you get away with that.

sAsLEX
30th July 2005, 14:37
that tessl you how to get a licence thru PASSRITE and shows pictures of a guy doing their test on a MC wearing a cycle helmet.

Fuck me how do you get away with that.

not on public roads so no legla requirment maybe

plus if its at walking speed a cycle helmet would provide alright protection while allowing you to converse with an instructor

am looking at doing the one in august as well restricted to full, have ahad a few tickets in the past but only on 20 points at the moment so hopefully will be allowed to do it.

bondagebunny
31st July 2005, 11:45
a public road is defined in law as - as a place where the public has access to whether they have a right to be there or not. And surely an open face helmet would allow conversation.
Bicycle helmets are for bicycles - motorcycle helmets are for motorcycles
if they cant get that right I think they a bit suss.

blocker
31st July 2005, 12:19
I've booked to do the CBTA at passrite in auckland for 10 Sept. (can't do the august one because I'm on holiday). Sent all the stuff off the other day.

Have had two speed cameras in the cage in the last year but don't think I've had a demerit point since about 1998 so should be ok with that.
Quite handy this CBTA, especially for us plus 25 seniors.
Will be interesting to see how you guys go with yours.

I'm hoping to scrape to my full licence before I go back for another stint working in London from late October. (Otherwise I'll be relegated to a 11kw 125 on the pommie learner licence....) Cringe... that'll make the GSX look like a performance bike..

Gremlin
31st July 2005, 19:44
·A rider who successfully completes each course and assessment will be able to reduce the time on their learner license from 6 months to 4 months, and their restricted license from 18 months to 9 months.
Is the CBTA only for 25+?? I thought it was, now for a moment I'm not sure...

That sounds soo good, but no class 1, and less than 25...

jimdaworm
1st August 2005, 12:13
I will see you there on the 17th with Road Safe I have been accepted into the course too :ride:

steved
2nd August 2005, 13:27
Is the CBTA only for 25+?? I thought it was, now for a moment I'm not sure...

That sounds soo good, but no class 1, and less than 25...
Straight from Passrite's webpage. Hope this clears it up. :yes:

Course Prerequisite

The prerequisite requirements are:

1. That you are the holder of a Class 6 Learners licence

2. That you are the holder of a Class 1 Full licence and have held that licence for more than 2 years.

3. That you have a clean record of driving.

Please Note

Under 25's
If the applicant is less than 25 years of age they must hold their Learners licence for 4 months before they can apply for CBTAR (Learner to Restricted licence) course. They must do the course on a bike no larger than a 250cc.

Over 25's
If the applicant is over 25 years of age then the applicant has no time restriction between licence stages. The applicant may also apply for an exemption to use a bike larger than 250cc.

froggyfrenchman
9th August 2005, 17:06
anyone in hawkesbay know of this localy

AJAX
11th August 2005, 15:16
I will be applying for that shortly...does it have to be with passrite? i REALLY dislike them...

rfc85
11th August 2005, 19:27
Hey all,

·On successfully completing the course, the rider will be able to pass to the next stage of their license without having to sit a practical riding test.

·A rider over the age of 25 years who has held another full class of driver license for 2 years or more, and successfully completes each course and assessment, can move through each class of license without any time restrictions.

PM me if you'd like the document itself.

could you please advise contact# or PObox as I want to do one and have no idea where to go
Ta

AJAX
12th August 2005, 14:56
could you please advise contact# or PObox as I want to do one and have no idea where to go
Ta
just phone up passrite and get them to send you out an application form. i am booked for the 24th of august course