PDA

View Full Version : GSXR250 (is there anyone in chch?)

gamgee
20th July 2005, 16:46
had a look through and couldn't find a thread in here detailing the gsxr250 but anyway was wondering what they are like reliability wise (i already know they are quick) and would anyone in christchurch be able to go and look at a bike for me? i can give you petrol money, and you'll probably get to take it for a test ride, it's this one here:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-31722245.htm
i just have to find out how many km's it's done, cheers

duckman
20th July 2005, 16:50
Heya fella,

Did you find out how many k's were on it?

gamgee
20th July 2005, 16:50
still waiting for the question to be answered on the auction

GROOMER
20th July 2005, 16:52
If ya keep the carbs balanced/tuned, and check valve clearances often, and keep the bike serviced regularly, they're generally ok. Mainly coils and AC generators that are prone to give problems. Newer generation Suzuki coils, or similar honda ones do the trick.

gamgee
20th July 2005, 16:54
so these are a pretty reliable bike then? how bad are the coils and a/c generators? and how much to repair/ replace, is there anyway to check the condition on inspection or is it really just take the risk and if it happens, it happens?

GROOMER
20th July 2005, 16:59
so these are a pretty reliable bike then? how bad are the coils and a/c generators? and how much to repair/ replace, is there anyway to check the condition on inspection or is it really just take the risk and if it happens, it happens?

AC generator - all you can do is test the voltage at the 3 output wires. But a good 2nd hand one is around $50-120.

Coils you cant really test, because they normally fail when hot and at high revs.
Used coils vary in price, depending where you go, and what they are.
Expect to pay about $50 each from a wrecker for a suitable coil to fit these bikes.

If you have the bike for a while, and they havent been attended to before, then chances are you probably will end up doing coils. Not too major though :D

gamgee
20th July 2005, 17:06
yeah thats pretty cheap, so is that about all that is known to be a problem with these bikes? how many k's can they do before the engine goes past it's used by date? (on average)

gamgee
20th July 2005, 17:58
nearly 60,000k's on it, i think i'll leave it, thats just a bit to high for a 250cc bike

Artifice
20th July 2005, 19:26
teh swing arm tends to get fractures fom the rear end. along the top and bottom continuing for about 2or 3 inches. i dont think it was a real problem though. man i sometimes think i shoulda kept my old one.