PDA

View Full Version : Cool riding photos of KB Adv inmates

marks
23rd December 2011, 11:57
There have been some awesome photos taken of our regulars riding over the last couple of years. I'm talking about photos that are not just action shots of a bike and rider , but where the bike,background and setting just combines to make an awesome photo

Unfortunately it may end up looking like a condensed version of a photo thread (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541628) by The Stumpy Prick From Dannevirke - but that cant really be helped

Photos like this classic for example...

could be a fun thing to compile over the holiday period

marks
23rd December 2011, 12:11
Two other awesome action shots by TSPFD (see above)

love the combination of bike - roost - horse

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/bart-nz/MMMMM%202011/IMG_1976.jpg

And love the feeling of movement

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/bart-nz/MMMMM%202011/IMG_1868.jpg

Padmei
23rd December 2011, 13:56
The cover spread

Box'a'bits
23rd December 2011, 15:08
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JuyCLF2rPsk/TW4CZ2rTYKI/AAAAAAAAGZE/aXfaIVegzRw/s400/DSCF1496.JPG
Howie & the Clarence River Reserve switchbacks

.chris
23rd December 2011, 15:11
NZKTM on his DRBIG near Carricktown also from the Dusty Butt.

Dusty butt again.

Waihou Thumper
23rd December 2011, 16:03
NZKTM on his DRBIG near Carricktown also from the Dusty Butt.
Dusty butt again.

That's funny being in New Zealand, especially the sign. One could also think it is Australia given the terrain. Nice shot Chris :) Cos the bike is in it, not me....:) Notice I am looking at the sign thinking WYF! My GPS has really sent me astray! :eek5:

Oscar
23rd December 2011, 16:12

Night Falcon
23rd December 2011, 16:18
Molesworth taken in March

pete376403
23rd December 2011, 16:38
The Hakataramea, Danseys

marks
23rd December 2011, 16:38
Man these photos make me want to 'get out there'

Another from TSPFD

love the way the dust cloud separates the bike from the scenery behind (and highlights the roost) and the way the bike and mountain are framed

The way Steve is looking through the corner rather than at the camera adds to the photo as well

Oscar
23rd December 2011, 16:42
http://oscar.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/AndorraSpain-Trail-Ride/IMG0731/315135195_pYKjG-L-1.jpg

Waihou Thumper
23rd December 2011, 17:07
Where in the Waikato is that Oscar? Geez, I got to get out more, haven't ridden that route yet...:)

Gremlin
23rd December 2011, 17:21
Looks like it's Andorra, Spain? Bugger... saw it and wanted to pop over there... :oi-grr:

marks
23rd December 2011, 17:31
Looks like it's Andorra, Spain? Bugger... saw it and wanted to pop over there... :oi-grr:

funny how foreign places often look kind of... foreign

Howie
23rd December 2011, 17:41
A Rare pic of TSPFD on the other end of the lens

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" width="320px" height="240px" style="padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=9415698B9C0E45C8&resid=9415698B9C0E45C8%21548&authkey=AJw73qs04VEFueg"></iframe>

bart
23rd December 2011, 18:58
Unfortunately it may end up looking like a condensed version of a photo thread (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54162) by The Stumpy Prick From Dannevirke - but that cant really be helped

Awww, shucks. You guys say the nicest things. :killingme:

It's a shame I'm away from home for the next few days, or I'd contribute.

Padmei
23rd December 2011, 19:22
Awesome pics guys - Oscar that looks like a very nice place to eat & drink & ride.

Woodman
23rd December 2011, 19:24
Umopom on the Dusty Butt.

cooneyr
23rd December 2011, 21:02
While I'm not much of a photographer, because I've not got any plans re people to ride with on the Dusty I'm thinking I might take our DSLR and see what happens.

NordieBoy
24th December 2011, 08:38
Onamalutu on the first DB1K

Christian being chased by NordieBro on the '08 DB1K

Mt Patriarch following Nerdneh

Some weirdo on a CT of doom
http://sports.nelson.geek.nz/motorsport/mybikes/Trips/20090315%20Kikiwa%20Laidback/slides/20090315%20Fran%20on%20the%20CT125.jpg

Hosting Pooey on the NIIOTS

Pooey blogging the ride

Down the Porika on the NIIOTS

A NADS evening ride in the Maungatapu

Woody getting it up

Who had the pruning saw?

Somewhere in the Clarence

bart
25th December 2011, 15:40
Unfortunately it may end up looking like a condensed version of a photo thread (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54162) by The Stumpy Prick From Dannevirke - but that cant really be helped

BTW, that link isn't the stumpy prick from Dannevirke's thread (unless there's some other stumpy prick that's being referred to). There's know way in hell I'd put my kid on a death machine quad. HATE the things. There....I even shouted the hate part.

NordieBoy
25th December 2011, 18:41
Some people will do anything to get into a photo...

marks
25th December 2011, 19:41
BTW, that link isn't the stumpy prick from Dannevirke's thread (unless there's some other stumpy prick that's being referred to). There's know way in hell I'd put my kid on a death machine quad. HATE the things. There....I even shouted the hate part.

there can only be one SPFD :yes:

cocked up the link copy and paste - so sorry :(

quads are a valid alternative for people who don't have the skills to ride bikes.

bart
25th December 2011, 21:42
Some people will do anything to get into a photo...

Even with the bung eye, that's by far the best photo in this thread. :finger:

Right, lets get this thing back on track. A couple of my favourites. Shame about the bike and rider though.

CrazyFrog
26th December 2011, 06:36
Looks like Jantar has buggered this thread up, not much left to look at now is there? :facepalm:

Padmei
26th December 2011, 07:58
Um I got an infraction. I reckon if anyone mentions vegetables this thread is going stright to PD

Night Falcon
26th December 2011, 08:01
Looks like Jantar has buggered this thread up, not much left now is there :facepalm:

Look out look out the grinch who stole Christmas is about :violin:

NordieBoy
26th December 2011, 08:24
The KiwiBiker rules on embedded images needs changing.

Considering the Forum Rules are as follows...

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED] will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED], nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED] reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
Also:

Embedded Images Size
Many site members still use dialup connection and large images can take too long to load. It is strongly recommended that images be attachments rather than embedded. A URL can be used to attach an image to a post in the same way as attaching a file.
Maximum Picture Size: 640 pixels x 480 pixels
Maximum Picture File Size: 100kb

Note "strongly recommended" not "must" or "will be"...

JATZ
26th December 2011, 08:29
Um I got an infraction. I reckon if anyone mentions vegetables this thread is going stright to PD

Might aswell be in P.D. now, what good is a photo thread with out pics :shutup:

:corn: (waits for ADVrider vs. K.B. rant)

marks
26th December 2011, 08:33
on no - its infraction time :zzzz:

how will I face the shame :yawn:

TSPFD pictures were too big - at leat 1-2kb of bandwidth melting destuction - kiwibiker grinds to a halt and children starve

how can life continue??????????

I'll try and remember to park away from all you guys at the mext ride so that you don't get infected (no smartarse klr remarks - that would be insensitive)

onearmedbandit
26th December 2011, 08:59
You can attach files of almost any size, no dramas there. But embedded images are to be no larger than 640x480 and 100kb. Learn how to use the technology rather than abusing those that help run the site.

Night Falcon
26th December 2011, 09:14

I mentioned vegtables once, but I think i got away with it :shifty:

Virago
26th December 2011, 09:24
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SptqJr7wtY4/TOq5-Ls5IZI/AAAAAAAACGs/QPetFigJmdE/s1600/crying.jpg

Night Falcon
26th December 2011, 09:28
You can attach files of almost any size, no dramas there. But embedded images are to be no larger than 640x480 and 100kb. Learn how to use the technology rather than abusing those that help run the site.

Thats a bit strong..I don't see anyone getting abused here? to clean out a thread like this along with issuing tickets the morning after christmas to be fair, is likely to attract some comment. There are alot worse things to worry about in the world at 6am boxing day morning, like when to put ya unwanted prezzies in TM for instance. Nevertheless rules are rules I spose :Oops:

marks
26th December 2011, 11:17

its funny how people who rarely post in this forum suddenly become opinionated experts

perhaps the website rules should reflect the needs/want of its users not stay buried in the 1990's

most of the long lived/interesting threads (ie - those with lots of photos which keep people like me who have a short attention span coming back again and again) end up over on advrider to the detriment of kiwibiker.

it somtimes seems this place actively tries to discourage long term participation by enforcing inappropriate rules that frustrate the very people the site was designed to cater to.

NordieBoy
26th December 2011, 11:22

Technically, they're only strongly recommended to be no larger than 640x480 100kb.

onearmedbandit
26th December 2011, 12:12
its funny how people who rarely post in this forum suddenly become opinionated experts

perhaps the website rules should reflect the needs/want of its users not stay buried in the 1990's

most of the long lived/interesting threads (ie - those with lots of photos which keep people like me who have a short attention span coming back again and again) end up over on advrider to the detriment of kiwibiker.

it somtimes seems this place actively tries to discourage long term participation by enforcing inappropriate rules that frustrate the very people the site was designed to cater to.

Opinionated experts? Been here since almost day one, been a moderator for years, senior moderator for about a year, now helping the senior moderator team behind the scenes for about the last two years whilst still having full moderator responsibilities. I think that makes me an expert on running this site. Now if you think the rules need to be looked at, voice your concerns to either mental_trousers or SpankMe. But don't get your panties in a twist when you get reminded of the current rules.

Like I said, embedded images are restricted to 640x480 and 100kb, attached images are almost restriction free.

Have a nice day.

onearmedbandit
26th December 2011, 12:15
Technically, they're only strongly recommended to be no larger than 640x480 100kb.

Embedded Images Size
Many site members still use dialup connection and large images can take too long to load. It is strongly recommended that images be attachments rather than embedded. A URL can be used to attach an image to a post in the same way as attaching a file.
Maximum Picture Size: 640 pixels x 480 pixels
Maximum Picture File Size: 100kb

Read it again. It is recommended that all images are attached rather than embedded, however if you want to embed an image there are restrictions on the size.

whatastoner
26th December 2011, 12:20
Here's one from 1989. Riding a DR600 in the Algerian Sahara.

marks
26th December 2011, 12:35
Opinionated experts? Been here since almost day one, been a moderator for years, senior moderator for about a year, now helping the senior moderator team behind the scenes for about the last two years whilst still having full moderator responsibilities. I think that makes me an expert on running this site. Now if you think the rules need to be looked at, voice your concerns to either mental_trousers or SpankMe. But don't get your panties in a twist when you get reminded of the current rules.

Like I said, embedded images are restricted to 640x480 and 100kb, attached images are almost restriction free.

Have a nice day.

please forgive me for expressing an opinion or starting a thread that may of been of interest to other adv riders

I'll try and not let it happen again

:brick:

onearmedbandit
26th December 2011, 12:44
My god man. The rules are there for a reason. Shall we just ignore them? You'd be ok with cruiser riders starting threads in the off-road section? How about cookie recipes?

Padmei
26th December 2011, 13:17
why do forums such as kiwibiker start?
How do they start?
Why do they continue?
How do they pay for themselves?
Do they make a profit?
Are they a business as such?
Are they run from a big room somewhere or a computor in someones back room?
Why is it no problem for a site like advrider to have heaps of good pics & kiwibiker can't?

Not metaphorically gathering any ammo or loading any guns or anything but I'm genuinely interested.

BTW might as well move this to PD or rant & rave as it kinda taints the adv forum really:msn-wink:

Jantar
26th December 2011, 14:30
Might aswell be in P.D. now, what good is a photo thread with out pics :shutup:

:corn: (waits for ADVrider vs. K.B. rant)

There were so many oversize pics that I did consider moving the thread to PD. Instead, the pics were good ones so I've left the thread right here and anyone can edit their posts and upload the pics back into them, but at the correct size.

NordieBoy
26th December 2011, 18:21
Are you such sad cunt that you have to stir shit in threads in which have no interest? Get a fucking life.

It's not even a good photo. Far too much dead space up top.

tri boy
26th December 2011, 19:07
Did someone mention cookie recipes???:love:

pete-blen
26th December 2011, 19:46
Maybe NO pics now..
But dam this threads got GOOD...:msn-wink:

Padmei
26th December 2011, 20:13
Ok back to talking about me -
Any advice on cameras would be appreciated on this other thread I started here

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/145293-I-need-camera-advice

Eddieb
26th December 2011, 20:52

So, for the sake of those of us who don't get this rule can you elaborate on the reasoning behind it further?

A file or image hosted on the KB server(s) is not going to download any quicker to the end-user via a 5kb/s dial up connection than a file of equivalent size hosted elsewhere. The source of the file is irrelevant if the restriction point is the users internet connection speed.

Unless I'm missing something here about the interweb or the technology behind it?

Jantar
26th December 2011, 21:02
So, for the sake of those of us who don't get this rule can you elaborate on the reasoning behind it further?

A file or image hosted on the KB server(s) is not going to download any quicker to the end-user via a 5kb/s dial up connection than a file of equivalent size hosted elsewhere. The source of the file is irrelevant if the restriction point is the users internet connection speed.

Unless I'm missing something here about the interweb or the technology behind it?Maybe its because a 100 kb file will open relatively quickly, even on dial-up, whereas a 5 mb file may take 20 minutes or more to load. Put a few large photos in a post and it becomes unusable for some who would like to read the article.

Eddieb
26th December 2011, 21:12
Maybe its because a 100 kb file will open relatively quickly, even on dial-up, whereas a 5 mb file may take 20 minutes or more to load. Put a few large photos in a post and it becomes unusable for some who would like to read the article.

But that argument is immediately negated by the ability to add large images to a thread if the image is loaded as an attachment and hosted on the KB servers. In theory if all those embedded images that were removed were re-loaded as KB attachments then this thread would be exactly the same size?

NordieBoy
26th December 2011, 21:17
But that argument is immediately negated by the ability to add large images to a thread if the image is loaded as an attachment and hosted on the KB servers. In theory if all those embedded images that were removed were re-loaded as KB attachments then this thread would be exactly the same size?

Only of you clicked on all the images.

Eddieb
26th December 2011, 21:18
Only of you clicked on all the images.

Ahh, true. That's quite possibly the bit I was missing.

onearmedbandit
26th December 2011, 21:19

Attached .jpeg's etc are only displayed as thumbnails. You have to click on the image to actually load it.

marks
26th December 2011, 21:58

logic has nothing to do with it

we simply have a site that has some outdated rules combined with moderators who aapear to take great pleasure in zealously enforcing those rules

one day a bright light might come on in the moderators lounge and they may see that a site that caters to the reasonable wants/needs of its posters/inmates will experience greater growth/success/popularitly than one that buries its head in the 56kb sand...

I'm going to be a good boy now and turn off rant mode now :yes: and reluctanctly contnue posting all my photos over on advrider.

onearmedbandit
26th December 2011, 22:11
I'm going to be a good boy now and turn off rant mode now :yes: and reluctanctly contnue posting all my photos over on advrider.

Are you not aware of how to attach images? It's not terribly difficult.

Virago
26th December 2011, 22:38
For what it's worth, I can expand on the clear explanations given - for those willing to consider.

I helped formulate the compromise solution that was adopted into the Site Rules. Indeed, the 640x480 limit was at my suggestion (around four years ago).

And it is a compromise - there will always be those who cannot see past their own point of view, so it's impossible to keep everyone happy.

Without that compromise, the Site Admin were considering the disabling of embedded images, in response to the embedding of increasingly large images. With the rapid increase in the pixel limit on standard every-day cameras, people were often embedding images at stupidly large sizes.

This caused two problems. Firstly, those members on dial-up were not able to view and read the thread. Secondly, the embedded image was often unviewable, being several times normal screen size.

Four years down the track, the 640x480 limit is probably outdated, with regard to normal screen resolution usage - perhaps 1024x768 may be more appropriate. But that change would further compromise the ability of dial-up users to view threads.

The dial-up issue is still an problem for a considerable number of New Zealanders, who live in remote locations without Broadband access. However, dial-up users do have the option not to download large attachments, so little restriction is placed on the size of attachments.

Don't like such compromise? That says more about you than it does about the Site Admin. And at the end of the day, it is a minor restriction placed on maybe 90%, for the benefit of 10% of users in this country.

Attaching large images is not an onerous task.

Denniso
26th December 2011, 22:48
Just to have a go at attatching a pic I had a go , hope it works , I'm a bit shit on a computer .

NordieBoy
26th December 2011, 23:01
Embedding large images is not an onerous task.

Only if "onerous" means "not allowed".

marks
27th December 2011, 08:09
Are you not aware of how to attach images? It's not terribly difficult.

Yes I do but I think its an archaic 3rd rate solution - the images fail to load 25% of the time, its hard to relate each picture to a particaular part of your post and non logged in members can't view them.

For what it's worth, I can expand on the clear explanations given - for those willing to consider.

I helped formulate the compromise solution that was adopted into the Site Rules. Indeed, the 640x480 limit was at my suggestion (around four years ago).

And it is a compromise - there will always be those who cannot see past their own point of view, so it's impossible to keep everyone happy.

Without that compromise, the Site Admin were considering the disabling of embedded images, in response to the embedding of increasingly large images. With the rapid increase in the pixel limit on standard every-day cameras, people were often embedding images at stupidly large sizes.

This caused two problems. Firstly, those members on dial-up were not able to view and read the thread. Secondly, the embedded image was often unviewable, being several times normal screen size.

Four years down the track, the 640x480 limit is probably outdated, with regard to normal screen resolution usage - perhaps 1024x768 may be more appropriate. But that change would further compromise the ability of dial-up users to view threads.

The dial-up issue is still an problem for a considerable number of New Zealanders, who live in remote locations without Broadband access. However, dial-up users do have the option not to download large attachments, so little restriction is placed on the size of attachments.

Don't like such compromise? That says more about you than it does about the Site Admin. And at the end of the day, it is a minor restriction placed on maybe 90%, for the benefit of 10% of users in this country.

Attaching large images is not an onerous task.

thank you for the detailed explanation although I question the logic of limiting the site for 90% to help 10%

I think it boils down to the difference between adhering to the 'spirit' of the rules versus the absolute unyielding application of the rules.

half of the images deleted from this thread were 800x600 and maybe 120-140kb in size - and this warrants a separate infraction for each image?

Around 3 years ago I decided I wanted to try and keep my ride reports together in the adventure section - simply because its the only sub forum I visit as that is where the people who I ride with predominately post.

It turned into a shitfest from day one. Any 800x600 images got deleted, and trail riding content got moved to the dirt section. I remember posting some photos of a great local trail that included photos of the mountain bikes we were on at the time being moved somewhere else because it was inappropriate content.

I ended up posting it all to a thread on advrider (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317350). This thread now has over 800 posts and 60,000 views and I think it would have been an asset to KB. I certainly would have preferred to keep it here.

I thought the job of moderators was to police gross abuse/misconduct - not to try and drive away people who are seriously interested in building a long term online community.

Padmei
27th December 2011, 08:17
Thats the reason I keep my bike build/ blog thing over on advrider - I use it like an external hard drive.

Taz
27th December 2011, 08:18
I've been visiting advrider alot more recently and have rediscovered just how good it is. I'll just use kb for posting inane drivel again from now on.

Waihou Thumper
27th December 2011, 09:23
I'll just use kb for posting inane drivel agian from now on.

​Keep up the good work then :)

Box'a'bits
27th December 2011, 09:26
Jantar, this is not a personal attack. I understand & appreciate the job that the Moderators do. I've seen threads go to shit because someone doesn't play nice, or someone copies a huge file in.

However there are a number of things here that bug me & I've brooded about them all day.

1. You could have achieved the same impact without infractions, & a bit of politeness. The manner in which the thread was attacked managed to disenfranchise a number of the most prolific posters in this section. Education (which is what has followed this shitstorm) is more important than applying penalties. Sure - if there is continued poor behaviour - but I do not believe that this occurred here.

2. The 'rules' have not been applied with any sort of conistency. As an example, I note that the 'Cool Wall' thread has a number of 800x600 pictures. I can see that Hitcher has policed & deleted the LARGE posts (larger than 800x600), but allowed the thread to run. Similar threads have been implictly allowed. Don't assume that we know the rules. Posters watch what the site allows.

3. This section probably more than any other benefits from allowing reasonable pictures & stories, which brings noobs into the fold. I do not believe 800x600 is out of order. Smaller pictures just do not bring in any clarity. The 'attachments' are frankly not a good way to handle this. They wlll not load to allow any continuity in the storey. The way they come up is often in random order. As MarkS points out, 25% of the time they don't load. Photography is as much a part of the adventure riding experience as the machinery. Allowing people to see what you have experienced is important in this section. The site is already missing a number of ride reports.

I'll can also hold up my hand & say that I run a thread over on the ADVRider site. You do have competition. The site needs to recognise that & respond to that. I have over 35000 hits on that. I could not run the same thread here. I think that is to the detriment of the KB site. Which is a pity.

Jantar
27th December 2011, 10:01

1. You could have achieved the same impact without infractions, & a bit of politeness. The manner in which the thread was attacked managed to disenfranchise a number of the most prolific posters in this section. Education (which is what has followed this shitstorm) is more important than applying penalties. Sure - if there is continued poor behaviour - but I do not believe that this occurred here. .....

This is a good point. However for most of the members affected they have been advised on more than one occassion, they have already been infracted on more than one occassion. So they DO already know the rules. When they are onto their 4th or 5th infraction for the same thing isn't that "continued poor behaviour "?

marks
27th December 2011, 10:29
This is a good point. However for most of the members affected they have been advised on more than one occassion, they have already been infracted on more than one occassion. So they DO already know the rules. When they are onto their 4th or 5th infraction for the same thing isn't that "continued poor behaviour "?

Like Steve's comment above - I don't want to 'get personal' and I certainley fit the '4th or 5th infraction' group.

yes your actions yesterday were 'enforcing the rules as they exist'

but surely those rules exist to benifit/protect the average/responsible user.

Was anyone harmed by our posts?
did anyone complain that the image sizes diminished their visit to KB?
was there any detremental effect to the kiwibiker website?

it seemes that all your actions yesterday did was piss off a lot of regular KB adv posters.

enforcing these particular rules is akin to limiting all road users to 50km/hr because thats how fast 50cc scooters go

Taz
27th December 2011, 10:57

I don't think I've been infracted for this heinous offence previously. But it doesn't bother me as it's only kb not real life. Speaking of real life, I had an awesome day at the Santa ride in Maramarua Forest yesterday. But that is off topic. I may post a ride thread up on Advrider or KTMtalk later.

Waihou Thumper
27th December 2011, 11:00
However for most of the members affected they have been advised on more than one occassion, they have already been infracted on more than one occassion. So they DO already know the rules. When they are onto their 4th or 5th infraction for the same thing isn't that "continued poor behaviour "?

I see that this is the second time it has affected me, both from Quoting a picture....
A shame that this has spoiled and sullied the Kiwibiker website from just a few little ínfractions'

Do you know all of the rules of the road? I fear not, so what was wrong with posting a reply and giving everyone a little 'heads up'
If you get pulled over for a traffic infringement oversight, 9 times out of 10 the officer will look at 'risk'and then act accordingly.
What has happened here is 'Police State' mentality! :angry2:

Virago
27th December 2011, 11:29
Oh my goodness, someone call a whaaaaambulance...

marks
27th December 2011, 11:40

at least we can count on the powers that be for a mature response

Box'a'bits
27th December 2011, 11:54

at least we can count on the powers that be for a mature response
Virago is ex-mod. All those years...and you can see the damage its done. Pity the poor person & move on....:facepalm:

Actually mods a couple more observations. Site rules aren't actually that accessible. And there is very limited info on infractions. A table & info on when infractions tip over into banning would be helpful. On that other site, a link to the site rules are at the head of each section..

BMWST?
27th December 2011, 12:03
so forthose of you to post embedded images and or post on adv where do you host your pics and why?. i use flickr cos i get that bundled with xtra

Taz
27th December 2011, 12:17
I use photobucket. And Vimeo....

On a side note

I got an infraction many many years ago under the name I used before the name I used before this one for daring to post useful information in a thread started by a guy who wanted to know where he could get a trike made. Apparently (can't find it in the site riles tho) This is kiwibiker not kiwi triker and spank has a hatred of trikes so they are not to be mentioned or to the gas chamber it is. Heil Hitler! :lol:

BMWST?
27th December 2011, 12:32
i got infracted for my very first pic on the welly tag game and again for a pic on the pic associations thread.I am sure i have posted bigger pics since on other threads.the attachments can be so slow to open even with broadband

Virago
27th December 2011, 12:52
...Heil Hitler! :lol:

Godwin's Law - yay...! :shutup:

Taz
27th December 2011, 12:58
Godwin's Law - yay...! :shutup:

I love that law:)

Padmei
27th December 2011, 13:14
Oh i've got lots of infractions - heaps in fact...
Funny enough I don't have a clue what 600x 800 means? I just post what's on my photobucket account.

Oh well I guess i'm one of those that plead ignorance officer & get a ticket for it.

Oscar
27th December 2011, 13:15

Get a life.

Oscar
27th December 2011, 13:23
Psst....over here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17595931#post17595931

bart
27th December 2011, 15:37
Testing, testing

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/bart-nz/IMG_20175.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/bart-nz/IMG_44208.jpg

After a whole lot of shagging around, I finally got these under the limit (I hope? I'm in sewious twouble if not). Because of the complexity of the first photo I had to reduce it down heaps more than the second, so to get your photos within the limits and keep some sort of quality, each photo needs to be treated separately. Although the results haven't come out too bad (the first is boarderline shit), it's a pain in the arse.

I also agree that photography goes hand in hand with adventure riding. I'm a keen amature photographer, and I'm using this format to hone my skills so that one day I can perhaps take my photography to a semi-professional level. In the mean time I'd almost consider that I'm doing adventure motorcycling, and motorcycling in general, a service by documenting a number of rides, which in turn encourages more people into the sport.

I also have a thread on another site that's had over 20000 views. I originally considered having the thread here, but the photo restrictions were always going to prohibit me from showing my photos anywhere near the definition I feel they deserve.

I fully understand that we need some kind of rules in place, but perhaps they could be reviewed and adjusted periodically.

Gremlin
27th December 2011, 15:53
If anyone wants it, I have a handy little tool for resizing pictures, based around 4 steps. Flick me a PM with an email addy, and I'll send it along. Doesn't even install.

Jantar
27th December 2011, 17:16
I just use Microsoft Office Picture manager. Simply select the photos you want to resize, type into the size box the size you want and hey preasto, its all done for you.

dino3310
27th December 2011, 17:54
I just use Microsoft Office Picture manager. Simply select the photos you want to resize, type into the size box the size you want and hey preasto, its all done for you.

thats what i use except i just hit the drop down and click Web-large which is 640 x 480 px.

marks
27th December 2011, 18:07
oh well

judging by the lack of serious response from any mods I'd say this thread is dead in the water

As Oscar posted - hes started a similar thread on advrider (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751703) but to be honest I've kind of lost interest in the concept

perhaps the title of this thread could be changed to 'Fucked By Mods - dont waste youre time'

NordieBoy
27th December 2011, 18:23
so forthose of you to post embedded images and or post on adv where do you host your pics and why?. i use flickr cos i get that bundled with xtra

I pay to have mine hosted in the US on a non-photo site so I have total control of how they look and use/re-use rights etc.

There are about 14,000 pics at the moment and are virtually all at 1024 pixies and are from 90-200 odd Kb each depending on how much solid colour there is.

alane
27th December 2011, 18:25
THE Resizeing ----that is.

On my crap (around 46kbps) landline connection.
Barts resized pics came up very quikly---where as others-presumeably unmodified--either take ages--like 10 -15 minutes, won,t load at all,or I just can,t be buggered waiting.

Pity this thread went a bit "wonky".:sick:
You guys on good connections ,forget,or don,t realize what a handicap /frustration a poor connection is.

OR----as Fred Dagg said---"You Don,t Know How Lucky You Are":whistle:
Thanks to those who posted pics,they,re all fantastic---:woohoo:---I hope more are posted. :yes:

Box'a'bits
27th December 2011, 18:53
So who wants to tell Jantar that every single one of the pictures he has just posted in his thread is above 100kb, many by 2x the limit...:brick:

Right click on the pictures, check out 'properties'.

Looked to be a cool little ride though.

Eddieb
27th December 2011, 19:09
So who wants to tell Jantar that every single one of the pictures he has just posted in his thread is above 100kb, many by 2x the limit...:brick:

Right click on the pcitures, check out 'properties'.

Looked to be a cool little ride though.

Do as he says not as he does huh.

I just saved all his thread pics locally. Of the 12 pics posted the smallest is 181kb in size and the largest 217kb.

Jantar
27th December 2011, 19:36
Do as he says not as he does huh.

I just saved all his thread pics locally. Of the 12 pics posted the smallest is 181kb in size and the largest 217kb.

All fixed in that thread. As soon as it was pointed out I went and recompressed them then uploaded them again.

NordieBoy
27th December 2011, 19:42
All fixed in that thread. As soon as it was pointed out I went and recompressed them then uploaded them again.

It's a right bugger when you think you've got them sweet and find out recompressing them may introduce a bit much artifacting or you have to shave a side down a fraction to get it under the size...

I compress at 85% and some pics are starting to look a bit crap and others still look fine at 50%...

Gremlin
27th December 2011, 20:03
I just use Microsoft Office Picture manager.
Should have mentioned, it also does adjustable compression, removes the metadata etc, so can shrink the pictures on size and dimensions (with multiple options). Found it's excellent for batch processing...

NordieBoy
27th December 2011, 20:21
Should have mentioned, it also does adjustable compression, removes the metadata etc, so can shrink the pictures on size and dimensions (with multiple options). Found it's excellent for batch processing...

Some software embeds a preview in the JPG too, increasing it's size...

JATZ
27th December 2011, 20:54
Can the rules be changed to allow 800x600 pics ?

I had a quick dial up speed scan back through the thread and couldn't see if anyone had actually asked to have them changed, I may be wrong though :crazy:

I use Irfanview for re-sizing, takes bugger all time and they upload quikerer too:yes:

pete-blen
27th December 2011, 21:04
I like this re-sizer..
its simple... I need simple:facepalm:

http://www.photosize.com/

Woodman
27th December 2011, 21:35
Whar does resize mean? seriously

Artichoke

NordieBoy
27th December 2011, 21:36
Whar does resize mean? seriously

Artichoke

Changing the size of the picture, you watermelon.

Padmei
28th December 2011, 05:55
but the pic doesn't actually change size tho doesn't it

uglyfruit

NordieBoy
28th December 2011, 06:13
but the pic doesn't actually change size tho doesn't it

uglyfruit

Yes it does. That's the whole point.

Persimmon...

offrd
28th December 2011, 11:04
Well i came to view some cool photos, not read a world war book.

Seriously embedding the photos makes the thread like a magazine, putting all the info around the photos looks great!

Attachments really detract from the whole thing..

Does it cost to put in big attachments? cause if it is just a speed issue thing for opening the page then hands up all those still on dial up!

If you are still on dial up, why? Broadband is available over 100% of New Zealand..... its the way of the world so catch up or start writing letters and posting them...

Anywho...

This thread is rooted, be good if the photos posters put them up as attachments....

Have not been on advrider for a very long time.... think its about time to review this....

:facepalm:

Jantar
28th December 2011, 11:19
If you are still on dial up, why? Broadband is available over 100% of New Zealand..... its the way of the world so catch up or start writing letters and posting them...

Really? Maybe you should tell the ISPs that.

offrd
28th December 2011, 12:09
Really? Maybe you should tell the ISPs that.

This aint no broadband discussion thread:shutup:

Broadband has been available for years to 100% of the country, i have installed in the most remote locations!

Can tell anyone that wants to know...

Just because your isp cant help does not mean no one can help.....

We even sent a unit to East Timor with the NZ defense force, worked perfectly...

Here is one http://maps.google.co.nz/?ll=-39.001435,176.94528&spn=0.002347,0.004823&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6

Another here http://maps.google.co.nz/?ll=-39.004045,176.896&spn=0.001173,0.002411&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6

george formby
28th December 2011, 12:47
I just had a fossick on Photobucket & sure enough you can resize a photo, save a copy & I'm guessing embed it at the right size.

NordieBoy
28th December 2011, 21:01
This aint no broadband discussion thread:shutup:

Broadband has been available for years to 100% of the country, i have installed in the most remote locations!

Can tell anyone that wants to know...

Just because your isp cant help does not mean no one can help.....

We even sent a unit to East Timor with the NZ defense force, worked perfectly...

Here is one http://maps.google.co.nz/?ll=-39.001435,176.94528&spn=0.002347,0.004823&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6

Another here http://maps.google.co.nz/?ll=-39.004045,176.896&spn=0.001173,0.002411&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6

BB vs Dialup thread here...
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/145288-Broadband-or-dialup?p=1130222106

Padmei
29th December 2011, 07:03
Jantar can you please dump this thread.

NordieBoy
29th December 2011, 08:07
Jantar can you please dump this thread.

Or change the title...

tri boy
29th December 2011, 09:38
Kanny baked me some cookies, :love:so you lot can get a big dog up ya:buggerd:
More pics you jabbering jabber things:zzzz:

pete376403
29th December 2011, 19:40
Thompson Gorge road - it was a shitty day below those clouds

andy mac
30th December 2011, 11:22
Eddieb on Fishers track in the good old days (2009) and 4 bikes ago.

Eddieb
30th December 2011, 11:30
Eddieb on Fishers track in the good old days (2009) and 4 bikes ago.

I'm such a bike whore, Fishers rocked back then.

Box'a'bits
30th December 2011, 11:52
Yeh nah. Only when it was reasonably dry. Otherwise it was a shit hole...

NordieBoy
2nd March 2018, 20:48
Thread dredge!
Warewolf and Warewolfling...

Box'a'bits
11th March 2018, 17:21
I was just rereading this thread, & marvelling at the laws of unintended consequences. This side of the site has been caught up in a quantum shift to more accessible platforms.

Was that an echo???? From being a fairly active platform, there is now...

merv
11th March 2018, 17:36
It is a similar style of site to the international ADV Rider which I hardly frequent but do come here more often. The Facebook pages are a little bit easier to use but then don't usually attract such a wide membership so this site is still useful. p.s. how come no-one is helping Warewolf pick up that bike?

GazzaH
11th March 2018, 17:57
How come no-one is helping Warewolf pick up that bike?

Larrrfing first.

Photos for KB second.

Mickey-taking third ...

NordieBoy
11th March 2018, 18:22
He'd turned the key off (which just starts the computerised shutdown process) and by the time I got down there, it was still chugging away, spinning the rear wheel.

Hmm, he'd just played with the computerised front damping 5 mins before...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Woodman
11th March 2018, 18:32
He'd turned the key off (which just starts the computerised shutdown process) and by the time I got down there, it was still chugging away, spinning the rear wheel.

Hmm, he'd just played with the computerised front damping 5 mins before...

Was the tilt sensor not working?

NordieBoy
11th March 2018, 20:44
The tilt sensor was busy trying to pick the bike up :)

Jeff Sichoe
12th March 2018, 11:57
It is a similar style of site to the international ADV Rider which I hardly frequent but do come here more often. The Facebook pages are a little bit easier to use but then don't usually attract such a wide membership so this site is still useful. p.s. how come no-one is helping Warewolf pick up that bike?

err

Adventure Riding New Zealand - 2,746 Members
New Zealand Adventure Riders - 1,307 Members

Everyday on FB there are 20+ updates on either of those pages - Invites to group rides (or asking if anyone is keen for a ride), people asking for advice, posting reviews of gear, and of course lots of sweet pics.

just a *little* bit more popular than this sub-forum, lol.

merv
12th March 2018, 15:30
err

Adventure Riding New Zealand - 2,746 Members
New Zealand Adventure Riders - 1,307 Members

Everyday on FB there are 20+ updates on either of those pages - Invites to group rides (or asking if anyone is keen for a ride), people asking for advice, posting reviews of gear, and of course lots of sweet pics.

just a *little* bit more popular than this sub-forum, lol.

I'm a member of Adventure Riding New Zealand, both the Facebook page and the website but never knew New Zealand Adventure Riders Facebook page and website existed so haven't joined that.

What I was talking about though was the international ADV Rider site, advrider.com, which ended up being the main topic of this thread because the KB mods screwed the guys around so much here, that is where they basically disappeared to those years back. I on the other hand, while I am member of ADV Rider I was saying I don't go there very often myself but do come to KB often because of the contact with Kiwis of all types (wider membership not just this sub-forum and thread - which has laid idle mainly) covering road riding and other interests as well and these days I am getting some of my fix from the Adventure Riding New Zealand Facebook page.

merv
12th March 2018, 19:52
We are still out there riding. This was a couple of Sunday's back, a picture of Aslan (https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php/3337-Aslan) on his F800GSA riding Pack Spur Road in the Wairarapa on the ride organised by Box'a'bits (https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php/19524-Box-a-bits).

So this pic is using the insert inline function, problem being you then still have to click to open it.

merv
12th March 2018, 19:58
Whereas if you link to a pic stored somewhere else you can do this:

That's Box'a'bits (https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php/19524-Box-a-bits) on the ride as I posted on Facebook. I tend to keep my photos offline and only post a few on FB and don't store them anywhere else on the cloud so this is a pic from FB.

So isn't it time KB opened up the ability to post inline pics and not just thumbnails because the dialup internet must be just about dead in NZ now defeating the argument for doing it that way which caused the mass exodus of the adventure riding crowd?

https://scontent.fakl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/28424484_10156364800619238_2670646512381952780_o.j pg?oh=67420eff980ad3f2b61989cfe3f59768&oe=5B02657D

Eddieb
29th April 2018, 19:51
The Adventure Riding NZ website has just clocked over 3000 members this week and the forums are far more active than here.

https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/

nzspokes
29th April 2018, 20:43
Just found the NZ Pics thread on ADVrider, 80 odd pages.

Thats my week sorted.

Shame KB killed this thread.

Scubbo
30th April 2018, 08:31
nice one, glad to see it growing, found it much more usefull than that other site which started to charge for shit

Jeff Sichoe
3rd May 2018, 12:06
well, remotemoto might charge but it's not shit - it's not like he just copy-pastes google maps (which is fine for free) he actually rides the routes, provides detailed reports and advice on terrain, camping spots along route and fuel stops.

you could purchase a route and get on the ferry and not worry about doing any research yourself, which is what you're paying for - a service to save you having to do that work yourself.

That looks like fun
3rd May 2018, 12:17
Yes, well hmmm.
I watched a number of "businesses" built themselves up on this and other "free" websites. I didn't consider it ethical and still don't. I once posted a disparaging comment about one of those businesses and NEK MINNIT one of their puppets slammed me with an infraction notice.
Perhaps to get this particular forum kicking again the site owners need a bit of an overhaul of who can do what and why. Should pay per view or ride sites be able to get free advertising on this website being a good place to start. Perhaps focusing more on the maturity level of some comments wouldn't go astray either

Scubbo
3rd May 2018, 13:20
well, remotemoto might charge but it's not shit - it's not like he just copy-pastes google maps (which is fine for free) he actually rides the routes, provides detailed reports and advice on terrain, camping spots along route and fuel stops.

you could purchase a route and get on the ferry and not worry about doing any research yourself, which is what you're paying for - a service to save you having to do that work yourself.

part of the adventure is not knowing wtf is up ahead --- use a paper map. GPS on a bike?.... un-adventure rider moar like :yawn:

Jeff Sichoe
3rd May 2018, 13:45
guys it's like you're complaining about the fact some people pay for sky tv rather than just watch freeview

some people value things differently

it's a small business created by a dude doing what he loves, I don't see the problem?

if you don't like it don't subscribe? you can't crap on a dude for putting his time into something he is passionate about and then choosing to charge for the resource he has created... yes it has community provided routes but there is nothing stopping those people putting up their own travel blogs or whatever either

That looks like fun
3rd May 2018, 17:01
guys it's like you're complaining about the fact some people pay for sky tv rather than just watch freeview

Who are these "GUYS" you speak of? My post was about the way the site was build on the back of other peoples site. At the time a number of contributors to this forum were doing the same or similar thing. I have never spoken against any of the pay per view sites. I have also never used them. I did speak against the pay per ride group that built itself up off this site. I believe they contributed to the decline of organised rides as its members would take the GPS routes of those rides then charge people to ride them with them. I for one simply stopped organising rides as it would seem so did many others. Commercialisation among other things sounded the death knell for this site.
That said I still take task with your statement and the word "Guys".
Name and blame, or back quietly away.

Jeff Sichoe
3rd May 2018, 19:02
Seems like you're extremely invested in this. I wish you well

*backs away slowly*

NordieBoy
4th May 2018, 07:24
The first Dusty Butt. 2007 up on top of Altimarloch.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180503/6342b25d0b9d199dd809a7fd75dab517.jpg

merv
4th May 2018, 09:14
The first Dusty Butt. 2007 up on top of Altimarloch.

Great pic Nordie.

That looks like fun
4th May 2018, 16:43
The first Dusty Butt. 2007 up on top of Altimarloch

Been there :Punk:
The fella on the big GS was on the first Adventure Ride I ever went one. Impressed the hell out of me with his riding skills and sense of humour.

NordieBoy
4th May 2018, 18:11
Been there :Punk:
The fella on the big GS was on the first Adventure Ride I ever went one. Impressed the hell out of me with his riding skills and sense of humour.And for the first Dusty, MagicFairy was on the back of the big GS :)
Not to mention, almost IN the Heringa Stream (dew covered wooden bridge vs BusaJim, MagicFairy & GS - bridge won)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180504/7720c5551d871e30755b260cac5a092c.jpg
Jim at the North Island Invasion of the South in 2009.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180504/5597976037e34c4790b3e32a17143494.jpg

merv
4th May 2018, 19:56
Where is Busajim these days? He changed his name to Balrog and we haven't seen him on the site since 2016.

Box'a'bits
4th May 2018, 20:01
Where is Busajim these days? He changed his name to Balrog and we haven't seen him on the site since 2016.
Still around, commuting on the same bike, I see it parked near the Courts, just not active on the forums anymore. He damaged his back a while ago, & his adv riding seemed to taper off.

Eddieb
10th May 2018, 12:55
He did his back in big time and is only able to commute to work and back now on the bike.