PDA

View Full Version : is ok to sand blast?

bugjuice
20th July 2005, 18:54
I've got a naked frame here :o (well, soon to have) so I thought I'd take advantage of this (:buggerd:) and make a nice job of it. I also have a munted frame (:buggerd: x2) which I also want to sandblast, but only cos it's gonna be ma new table.

What I want to know is, by sandblasting the frame (and swing arm), will this weaken the frame at all, and if so, by how much? It just looks a bit dull, so since there's nothing on it, I want to freshen it up while there's the chance..

also, any recommendations for places to do this? and how much/long?

And if it's lookin to be a nope, then could anyone suggest anything to make it nice again?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, does anyone know the name and number of that place in Cambridge that checks frames for straightness?

ta peeps ;)

SixPackBack
20th July 2005, 19:01
I've got a naked frame here :o (well, soon to have) so I thought I'd take advantage of this (:buggerd:) and make a nice job of it. I also have a munted frame (:buggerd: x2) which I also want to sandblast, but only cos it's gonna be ma new table.

What I want to know is, by sandblasting the frame (and swing arm), will this weaken the frame at all, and if so, by how much? It just looks a bit dull, so since there's nothing on it, I want to freshen it up while there's the chance..

also, any recommendations for places to do this? and how much/long?

And if it's lookin to be a nope, then could anyone suggest anything to make it nice again?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, does anyone know the name and number of that place in Cambridge that checks frames for straightness?

ta peeps ;)
Maybe able to help.......have full workshop facilities, and i'm the boss.
Sandblasting is only going to weaken the frame by removing metal, the amount which would be miniscule....pm me dude

FROSTY
20th July 2005, 19:08
Ill second six packs comments
If the frame just looks dull I wouldnt bother with sand blasting--Id dig out the ol autosol and get polishing Little secret is to use a buffing wheel on the electric drill youll end up with a mirror finish

oldfart
20th July 2005, 19:09
wouldn't think it would affect the structural integrity. Is it a steel or ally frame - if it's aluminium it will loose it's shine

bugjuice
20th July 2005, 19:10
If the frame just looks dull I wouldnt bother with sand blasting--Id dig out the ol autosol and get polishing Little secret is to use a buffing wheel on the electric drill youll end up with a mirror finish
had crossed my mind, but there's 'rubs' and a few scratches in it, so I thought it'd be the easiest and best finish I could get.. Not all of it needs to be done either, just what's on show I guess. The rest I'll just clean up by hand.. Quite good by hand..

dss3
20th July 2005, 19:19
If you wanted it blasted i'll get my painter/sandblaster at work to do it for ya for free if you can be bothered getting it down to ham's to be done.

Daryl

bugjuice
20th July 2005, 19:22
If you wanted it blasted i'll get my painter/sandblaster at work to do it for ya for free if you can be bothered getting it down to ham's to be done.

Daryl
well it's got to go to Cambridge to get checked out, so hammy isn't much further. I've flicked 6pb a pm, so I'll see what he says since it looks to be his bag, and then if it doesn't work out, I'll bear you in mind as a backup, if that's ok.. cheers tho ;)

HDTboy
20th July 2005, 19:23
Give that man a beer!

TwoSeven
20th July 2005, 19:30
It depends on the frame. Generally you bead blast them, then they have to be painted (powder or clearcoated) within an hour otherwise the surface will discolor. Usually the chap that does the bead blasting will pre-book with the painter (or they will be the same unit).

TLDV8
20th July 2005, 19:30
What I want to know is, by sandblasting the frame (and swing arm), will this weaken the frame at all....

If it was a Alloy frame..then sandblasting it with the wrong media would !@#$ it,at a minimum make it look like shit,beadblasting or soft media is better on alloy....as far as motorcycle parts being blasted (steel frames,alloy wheels etc etc) King Bros in New North Rd are great (imo)..Most Japanese Alloy frames and swingarms have a protective clear almost like anodising ? which normally needs to be removed if it is going to be polished or similar.

bugjuice
20th July 2005, 19:46
ahhhh.. ok.. what's beadblasting then (hoping not to sound stupid)?
I'm fairly sure it's an alloy frame. It's quite light for it's size, so steel it can't be. Don't know if it's anodized or not..

Motu
20th July 2005, 19:53
I've done some frames with those cheap sandblasting things you get a repco or TradeMe - went down to the beach and got some nice sand and got into it.Takes a long time and I'd rather get someone else now.

F5 Dave
21st July 2005, 17:46
Yeah be real careful with Ally & which media you use. I got a couple of things done & came out real nice, but then I got a steel frame done by an industrial company & man they savaged it. If it had been ally it would have disappeared.

Fortunately the powdercoat filled in the deep marks so you couldn’t tell.

Person doing it has to have a clue & you’ll be ok.

When you see the magnet stick to it you will believe it is steel afterall.

Ixion
21st July 2005, 17:50
ahhhh.. ok.. what's beadblasting then (hoping not to sound stupid)?
I'm fairly sure it's an alloy frame. It's quite light for it's size, so steel it can't be. Don't know if it's anodized or not..

beadblasting - bit like sandblasting but uses tiny teensy glass beads instead of sand (and different pressures etc). gentler than sand blasting and less likely to damage ally. But, of course, takes longer for the same amount of removal. And some stuff it doesn't want to remove at all.