PDA

View Full Version : Bike recommendations?

aum108
25th December 2011, 07:30
Hi again guys,

I've given up on the "cheap" re-vin bike project idea and resigned myself to taking out finance for a decent machine that won't mess with my head or my wallet.

My question is - what bike(s) to go for? I've been off bikes for a few years and things have changed dramatically. Harley clones all over the place, Chinese stuff everywhere, yada yada.

Back in the day, I learned on a GN250 then graduated to a Yamaha XJ750.

My requirements:

250cc or less (back on learners cos NZTA won't recognise my old Aussie full biker license)
Reliable
Maintenance cheap and straightforward - I'm capable of learning mechanical stuff over time
Good on motorway - cruise ok at 110-120km/h without undue strain - looking to commute between Hamilton and Auckland on business a couple of days a week
Economical - saving petrol money is one of the strongest arguments my wife accepts for buying a bike
Suit tall-ish guy (I'm 6'2" or 189cm)
Zappy around town for errands and shopping
Budget - prefer within $4k, even $2k-$3k if possible
Comfy for the occasional longer day trip

I'm grateful for what I've been reading on this forum so far, for instance the perils of Chinese bikes like Lifan and Keeway.

Thanks heaps guys. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Cheers
a

FJRider
25th December 2011, 07:43
Take a look around the bike shops ... to see what fits ...

Then take a look on Trademe ... it's a place to START looking ...

aum108
25th December 2011, 10:04
Take a look around the bike shops ... to see what fits ...

Then take a look on Trademe ... it's a place to START looking ...

Thanks, but I have been doing that for the last couple of months.
Bike shops and TradeMe aren't exactly the most unbiased source of information.
If I'm gonna get myself into some (more) debt, I don't want to do it for the sake of a bike that I end up hating.
That's why I'm asking here - to get benefit of others' experience :)

Cheers
a

MSTRS
25th December 2011, 10:17
No-one can tell you what bike is best (for you). You need to trawl the bikeshops etc and sit on as many as would suit your requirements to get an idea of what suits you.
Once you have a few acceptable options, report back for specific info as to reliability etc.

FJRider
25th December 2011, 10:26
Bike shops and TradeMe aren't exactly the most unbiased source of information.
If I'm gonna get myself into some (more) debt, I don't want to do it for the sake of a bike that I end up hating.
That's why I'm asking here - to get benefit of others' experience :)

Cheers
a

KB is not ... exactly ... unbiased ...

MyGSXF
25th December 2011, 15:18
As MSTRS says.. tis best to go round the shops & sit on different bikes to get an idea of what style you like, (cruiser or sportier style) & what feels comfortable for you..

A couple I would suggest you try are:

Honda Hornet 250
Yamaha Scorpio 225

:scooter:

orangeback
29th December 2011, 06:16
Rf 900 or TEA POT 600-750 (gsxf) if your comfortable with a bigger bikes

The Lone Rider
31st December 2011, 20:13
What are you doing with the Virago and whats wrong with it?

zmlam
4th January 2012, 08:16
My requirements:

250cc or less (back on learners cos NZTA won't recognise my old Aussie full biker license)
Reliable
Maintenance cheap and straightforward - I'm capable of learning mechanical stuff over time
Good on motorway - cruise ok at 110-120km/h without undue strain - looking to commute between Hamilton and Auckland on business a couple of days a week
Economical - saving petrol money is one of the strongest arguments my wife accepts for buying a bike
Suit tall-ish guy (I'm 6'2" or 189cm)
Zappy around town for errands and shopping
Budget - prefer within $4k, even $2k-$3k if possible
Comfy for the occasional longer day trip

Well having been looking around at the forums, you're probably best looking at the Hyos with your height, I hear they are more full-ier bodied, which may suit you. I saw from a previous post a member had bought a '09 Hyo GT250s for $3400 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/144519-Learner-looking-for-a-bike).

I had a VTR250, which has been great - though it was just OK for travelling at highway speeds (revving at around 8k at 100km/hr), otherwise comfy due to its upright position, economical (~260 for $20), was some wind issues at higher speeds (probably due to its same upright setup, and possibly weight of being a 250). It's height suited me fine - nice to have both feet planted, tho I'm shorter at around 5'7. Reliable as. Great to town driving - very nippy and easy to maneuver. Probably doesn't suit you, but maybe the information helps with weeding out bikes that doesn't fit your needs at least :)

Though to me it seems a bike to cruising ok at 110-120km/hr, 250cc max - you probably at looking at those high-powered 250s, I wonder what will happen as they would be excluded from bikes allowed one the LAMs system is in place this Oct (which I believe they will actually do this time round). If they are bringing in the LAMs system AND you could wait till Oct, you would just get a bigger bike at your current license which you'd have many more to choose from which will fit your requirements (except maybe your price range).

Sorry to hear NZTA doesn't recognise your old full license - that must really sux!!!

MSTRS
4th January 2012, 08:25
Well having been looking around at the forums, you're probably best looking at the Hyos with your height, I hear they are more full-ier bodied, which may suit you. I saw from a previous post a member had bought a '09 Hyo GT250s for $3400

I had a VTR250, which has been great - though it was just OK for travelling at highway speeds (revving at around 8k at 100km/hr), otherwise comfy due to its upright position, economical (~260 for $20), was some wind issues at higher speeds (probably due to its same upright setup, and possibly weight of being a 250). It's height suited me fine - nice to have both feet planted, tho I'm shorter at around 5'7. Reliable as. Great to town driving - very nippy and easy to maneuver. Probably doesn't suit you, but maybe the information helps with weeding out bikes that doesn't fit your needs at least :)

Though to me it seems a bike to cruising ok at 110-120km/hr, 250cc max - you probably at looking at those high-powered 250s, I wonder what will happen as they would be excluded from bikes allowed one the LAMs system is in place this Oct (which I believe they will actually do this time round). If they are bringing in the LAMs system AND you could wait till Oct, you would just get a bigger bike at your current license which you'd have many more to choose from which will fit your requirements (except maybe your price range).

Sorry to hear NZTA doesn't recognise your old full license - that must really sux!!!

Only 'high-powered' 250s to be excluded are the 2 strokes race replicas (ie RG, TZ, KR, NSR)