PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha YZF 750 sp?

swanman
20th July 2005, 21:09
Anyone ever bought or riden one these bikes a Yamaha YZF 750 sp? One on trademe for sale and I am kinda interested.

Marmoot
21st July 2005, 08:52
I have tried one once.
And I think SPman has one.

Good handling, albeit the age creeping up on it.
But would be a very big jump from the R1 you had, I reckon....

P.S.
it's not pink, is it?

unhingedlizard
21st July 2005, 12:24
Neil Mackenzie was winning British Superbike titles on this right up until 1995/6 i think.

Sensei
21st July 2005, 17:32
93's had trouble with their front dics warpping & then locking up when braking
Test riders found this out while testing the 1st one that came out for a Bike review . My have been recalled & fixed by now but worth to check . .

FROSTY
21st July 2005, 17:34
the only thing I heard was they had really really good brakes

SPman
21st July 2005, 18:43
F5Dave has got one as well.
A 750R homologation special - flat slides, close ratio box, single seat, etc. Much the same power as the R model - the idea was you splashed out on expensive Yamaha racing kit! Last dyno on mine was about 107bhp at rear wheel. - a few years ago - but - who cares - not me.
GSXR 750 from about 97 on is faster
Flat slides are a prick to set up for some reason, although I seem to have fluked on a setting that almost works. - also they wear out in all the little bushes etc
Great gearbox,clutchless up and down changes - no prob.
good top end rush from 10-13k.
My discs have a slight warp, but not too bad.
Done 78K on mine - should break 80k by Tuesday (going down to welly) engine is getting a bit worn (all those bore flushes - flat slides have accelerator pumps and squirt fuel into the bores, every time you touch the throttle!)
When set up good, are great - I like mine - bit like an old sock, really - be a bit of a come down from a new R1.
Still like a new K5 1K.........

SPman
21st July 2005, 19:54
Just had a look on TM - looks like the one that Haldanes converted to a 2 seater back in the 90's (made it easier to sell)- its got pillion pegs and a dual seat. Most times Ive seen it around, it was being ridden "carefully".

swanman
22nd July 2005, 17:44
Thanks for the feedback. Basically seems like a sound bike but watch for discs and balance of carbs. Yeh it would be a come down from the R1, but what wouldn't be when you're spending that sort of cash.

I've set up a look at it on Sat am. Do people think the price is about right 5k?

Sensei
22nd July 2005, 17:57
Doesn't say condition of Brake pads / Chain / swing arm bearings etc must put these in to the picture too . $4200 would be top money & that only be if the above where all in good condition as these could add $400-500 on top of bike in a couple of months . Some thing to think about

riffer
22nd July 2005, 23:08
Don't forget to check the Steering head bearings too. Those Deltabox frames are a bit soft there...

swanman
23rd July 2005, 17:07
Well went to see the bike. ACtually it looked in not bad condition. BUT it would not rev over 4krpm for me. The owner says that he hasn't used it for a while. SO that was an issue! Owner says he will get it sorted and get back to me. Proly carb blockage or somat. There was a ticking sound from the motor as well. Front brakes were awesome, gear shift cool. Owner has had it for 6 months (actualy he bought it on Tm in mid march, I checked). He's getting rid as had baby and wife says it must go. So am quite tempted but this could also be a dog the guy is getting rid of as he bought it blind from South Island. Or a sweet bike with a blocked carb.
Oh the rear view mirrors were all loose and wouldn't stay in position, and u had to fiddle with the key to turn it on.

Sensei
23rd July 2005, 18:33
Give it a Miss would be my call Swanman . Keep looking no need to buy the 1st thing ya see .

Marmoot
24th July 2005, 15:38
Swanman, if you're after cheap thrills, put $1500 more on your budget and buy a 96 Blade. Wouldn't let you down.

F5 Dave
26th July 2005, 13:09
How did I not see this until now?

I’ve had mine for ages, haven’t found anything else I wanted to replace it with. Not as much go as a Fireblade & silly expensive when new, this hurt sales but sweet handling & NZ got a bunch of SPs dumped here. Yay!

A while back I figured maybe I should buy a new bike, never had one before, tried a few things including a new think K2 GSXR 750 they were specialing off.

What a surprise. OK the brakes were good & loved the digital speedo, but it was tall & had to be revved like a 600. I went back to back over the same backroads to be sure & really the YZF would thump the GSXR below 10000rpm. Not the impression I got from all those tests, presumably track biased.

Above that the GSXR was faster, but hard to use on roads you don’t know. Those flatslides on the YZF can give great throttle response. My last dyno reading was 112.

Crank the back end up (5mm spacer) a bit & decent tires & the YZF handles real nice.

Oh yeah & from the Damn lies dept: the ‘116kg’ Suzuki weighs 207 when introduced to a real set of scales & a full tank (as weighed by PB mag).

My YZF is now (after a weight loss program) is down to 202 with a full tank on calibrated scales. Think it was 215 stock, which incidentally is the same as a Duc 748.

He rattle you hear is likely the Flatslides rattling at idle, they do that from new. Make sure the problem is fixed & take it for another ride.

swanman
4th August 2005, 22:18
I am organising another ride as he says it is fixed now, a loose wire in the electrics. If all ok I'll make him an offer.

swanman
6th August 2005, 14:44
Well I went for the ride and it was fine, took the bike over to Whitford so I got the chance to open it up a bit. Apart from a slightly noisy motor (exup valve apparently) and the rear view mirrors have a life of their own, it ran very well.
The seller showed me the workshop docs for a recent full service, and for the fix of the stuttering electrical fault. I even called the mechanic at Panmure motorcycles where the service was done and he said it was a tidy bike
So I bought it.
Once I have used it a bit I'll post a review. Oh and by the way now that I have bought another bike it will start raining. When I bought the r1 it rained for a month solid from the day I picked it up.

See you out there. :ride:
P.S. Any idea on the suspension settings especially for the front as it is too spongey at the mo?

Marmoot
6th August 2005, 18:25
P.S. Any idea on the suspension settings especially for the front as it is too spongey at the mo?

Change the oil if it hasn't been done before. It makes a big difference.
If that doesn't cure the problem and no adjustment can help, then spacer inside the tube may be the option to go.

Zed
6th August 2005, 18:34
Well I went for the ride and it was fine, took the bike over to Whitford so I got the chance to open it up a bit. Apart from a slightly noisy motor (exup valve apparently) and the rear view mirrors have a life of their own, it ran very well.
The seller showed me the workshop docs for a recent full service, and for the fix of the stuttering electrical fault. I even called the mechanic at Panmure motorcycles where the service was done and he said it was a tidy bike
So I bought it.
Once I have used it a bit I'll post a review. Oh and by the way now that I have bought another bike it will start raining. When I bought the r1 it rained for a month solid from the day I picked it up.

See you out there. :ride:
P.S. Any idea on the suspension settings especially for the front as it is too spongey at the mo?Congrats on the purchase Fraser, see you back on the road again soon! :ride:

As we discussed yesterday, it will never compare to the mighty R1. Is the bike totally stock or has it got some mods?

SPman
6th August 2005, 18:45

I'll have a look at mine and send them on - I started with the settings for a Thunderace from a Performance Bike set up article - worked OK for me

swanman
6th August 2005, 21:02
It's a stock bike.

Yeh, would appreciate the settings as the front end needs to be sorted.

bugjuice
6th August 2005, 21:23
sweet ride, glad to see ya back on the road at last!! The trouble-som 2som are back!

bugjuice
6th August 2005, 21:37
The two pommie gits more like it.
don't hate us cos we ain't been caught yet..

bugjuice
6th August 2005, 21:46
Yeep yep yep yep
hate the game, not the player ;)

Zapf
7th August 2005, 14:57
get some nice springs and gold valves for the front :) what I should've done to the SV...

will be great to see you on the road soon.

swanman
8th August 2005, 08:39
get some nice springs and gold valves for the front :) what I should've done to the SV...

will be great to see you on the road soon.
Cheers for that.

bugjuice
8th August 2005, 09:16
yeah, well it's your fault it's raining all this week..

F5 Dave
8th August 2005, 09:50
Good one, welcome to the Brotherhood (everyone else avert your eyes)
Click here (http://pub28.ezboard.com/bexupbrotherhood)

I always thought mine was quite stiff in the front. Mine had been dicked with by the previous & rather large ex owner. After a while I tried the std settings which were a major improvement & ended up being best for me after a little play. Rebound (top) 5 clicks out from full in. Compression 5 clicks

Rear 9 & 10 respectively. (I’m ~75kg)

I’d just reoiled the front, your oil may need a change.

After a long while I did get to thinking that the suspension was pretty harsh on rough road (though great on smooth). I sent the forks & shock to Mark Patterson who installed a couple of kits in them. Help quite nicely. Though this exposed that the fork springs were indeed too soft. Went to next size up.

On the rear he gave it the same shimstack as the specified Ohlins (they are an ohlins copy) & machined the piston so the highspeed shims had a chance of moving. That really helped stop the kick in the arse over large bumps.

Drop the forks a tickle & put a 5mm washer (has to be trimmed to fit down the frame counterbore) under the top of the shock.
Makes them turn a heap quicker. Feel a bit dead on flattened rear tyres too.

swanman
8th August 2005, 14:54
Well I twiddled with the suspension yesterday, and the front is now a lot better. I need to adjust the preload at the rear but I haven't got the spanner to do that, I must get one cos it is ajusted way too hard so there is almost no rider sag (20mm max).
I had a look at the tyres as well. They were under inflated a fair bit and they are battlax bt020's. These are touring tyres!! So they will have to go.
I took it for a good ride this afternoon and was amazed at the value I have got for the money I paid. The frame feels taught, the suspension is fine, the brakes are awesome, there is a fair bit of top end kick and everything is ajustable like on the R1 from levers to suspension. Only thing I am not too keen on is the motor is a bit buzzy, and it doesn't rev freely at very low revs though that clears above 3k, and I haven't worked out how to do wheelies on it (yet). I wonder what top whack is on it?
So far I can't believe the value for money. :yes:

F5 Dave
8th August 2005, 15:30
1 tooth smaller on the front is good with no ill effects

Rather I went 3 tooth bigger on the back & 520 chain but same change, sits ~600 rpm higher

They don’t wheelie none too good with the high gearing. Would do 140 in first though.

I’ve run Michi sports for last couple of time & they suit & some good specials now. Pirelli MTR somethings were good before Metz before that. All suited well. The original tyres were squared & made the bike feel crapola & sideways under power made me replace them.

Buzzy? Always seemed quite smooth I thought.

Assume in the service they replaced the plugs, that will cause a bog, but that high 1st gear is like 3rd on my RF.

SPman
8th August 2005, 17:58
Went to 43 tooth rear, 16 tooth front and 530 chain. Basically lost top gear! 41 tooth probably better.
Seems bloody smooth compared to an 05 GSXR750! aA bit boggy below 3000 - pull well from 8000
Runninh Michelin Pilot Powers and they are GREAT!

F5 Dave
9th August 2005, 09:29
Ohh, I’m such a topper! :clap:

I went to 520 chain & AFAM sprocket set (rear ally). This lost about a kilo & ¼ of reciprocating weight. Used DID Xring, they used it on the racing GSXR1000s for a season so should be able to cope with me on the road.

swanman
9th August 2005, 10:39
[QUOTE=SP]
Seems bloody smooth compared to an 05 GSXR750! QUOTE]

Well this one is definitely a bit vibey, and I have ridden the 05 gsxr750. So I wonder that the vibes are about?

Mr Skid
9th August 2005, 11:34
Well this one is definitely a bit vibey, and I have ridden the 05 gsxr750. So I wonder that the vibes are about?Maybe the balance weights have fallen off the hampster wheel?

swanman
13th August 2005, 16:29
Well I have got the bike back from Red Baron. They had a fiddle with the carbs and found a number of faults which they have fixed up. The bike runs a lot better and the vibes have gone. Right, which way to wheelie town?

Mr Skid
13th August 2005, 16:34
Right, which way to wheelie town?Follow the cartwheeling TL1000.