PDA

View Full Version : Chch based newbie needing help or maybe just a mechanic (Jen)

Jen
26th December 2011, 11:11
Hi, new to the site though have visited a few times for ideas on help issues. Thought it best to join and say hi and not just be an avid reader. I have had a few years of riding in the states, and now I've moved back and settled down, decided it was time to get back on a bike. Bought myself a Honda FT400 old classic to get me back on the road. Only thing is we have starting issues. I bought a new battery for her, charged her up and it started great. So I turned her off, went and kitted up, came back out and ...CLICK! this was yesterday, 24hrs later and i'm still only getting a click. I"ve cleaned all connections, leads and solanoid leads. The frustrating part is I've not had her on the road yet. Heard her running twice, and sounds great. Anyone with any ideas?

Spuds1234
26th December 2011, 11:20
Hi, new to the site though have visited a few times for ideas on help issues. Thought it best to join and say hi and not just be an avid reader. I have had a few years of riding in the states, and now I've moved back and settled down, decided it was time to get back on a bike. Bought myself a Honda FT400 old classic to get me back on the road. Only thing is we have starting issues. I bought a new battery for her, charged her up and it started great. So I turned her off, went and kitted up, came back out and ...CLICK! this was yesterday, 24hrs later and i'm still only getting a click. I"ve cleaned all connections, leads and solanoid leads. The frustrating part is I've not had her on the road yet. Heard her running twice, and sounds great. Anyone with any ideas?

Loose connection on the battery or frame somewhere will cause that. But you say you've checked all the connections.

Get a nice fat screw driver and bridge the connections across the solenoid. If the engine starts turning over you know the problem is with the solenoid. If it doesn't then its likely a loose connection somewhere.

Whereabouts in Christchurch are you? Its a fine sunny day, someone might be able to pop around and have a look if your nearby.

Spuds1234
26th December 2011, 11:21
Also is the battery still fully charged? You may find that you have a short somewhere and its drained the battery over night hence why it wont start. Check the battery's voltage with a multimeter if you have one.

Jen
26th December 2011, 11:27
Yes did think about the drain onthe batter, check it and is still showing green on the charger, so its holding ok. I live over casebrook/styx mill, But its a lot to ask someone to call in on Boxing day.

Spuds1234
26th December 2011, 11:31
You never know. Motorcyclists can be an odd bunch.

Must be torture not being able to ride with weather like this. With KB's combined mechanical knowledge you'll be going again in no time no doubt.

Jen
26th December 2011, 11:38
Thanks spuds. just going to do the screwdriver test see if it is the solarnoid

ellipsis
26th December 2011, 11:39
...you say you have checked the connections, etc, but from my experience with a similar aged Honda that did this regularly, I found the smallest amount of build up of 'electro gunk' on the battery terminals and leads caused the same problems...it always meant a sand up of terminals and lead ends and a retighten...worth a second check...good luck...

Jen
26th December 2011, 11:43
Ok well not the solarnoid, i got a faint crackle and that was it, definitely sounds like battery, or connection, and yes very very frustrating.

Jen
26th December 2011, 11:45
...you say you have checked the connections, etc, but from my experience with a similar aged Honda that did this regularly, I found the smallest amount of build up of 'electro gunk' on the battery terminals and leads caused the same problems...it always meant a sand up of terminals and lead ends and a retighten...worth a second check...good luck...

Thanks Cam, sanded all the leads this morning, even cleaned the spark plug lol But will go back and recheck, think I need a break for lunch..its doing my head in.

Spuds1234
26th December 2011, 11:47
That crackle was probably just a spark jumping unless your engine was turning over. Sounds like your battery is possibly flat or its a loose/dirty connection between the battery and the solenoid.

FJRider
26th December 2011, 11:53
Sounds like the starter motor is the issue. Being an old machine ... not exactly unknown for this to happen. It DID start the first time remember ... so I doubt it's the connections. I have had this problem on a few bikes I've owned. Sometimes when this happens, if you put it in gear ... (second is ok) rock it back and forward a few times turning the motor over a bit, and try again. Tapping the starter motor with a cresent as you try sometimes works.
The problem is often worn brushes in the starter motor .... An auto sparky will confirm the exact problem.

The FT should bump start easily though ... 3rd gear, clutch in, jog beside it, clutch out ... should fire up ... clutch in, into neutral, jacket and helmet on ... ride.

Stop on a hill a few times to check. But I doubt if it will happen ALL the time ...

BMWST?
26th December 2011, 11:58
Sounds like the starter motor is the issue. Being an old machine ... not exactly unknown for this to happen. It DID start the first time remember ... so I doubt it's the connections. I have had this problem on a few bikes I've owned. Sometimes when this happens, if you put it in gear ... (second is ok) rock it back and forward a few times turning the motor over a bit, and try again. Tapping the starter motor with a cresent as you try sometimes works.
The problem is often worn brushes in the starter motor .... An auto sparky will confirm the exact problem.

The FT should bump start easily though ... 3rd gear, clutch in, jog beside it,LEAP ONTO SEAT AT SAME MOMENT AS LET clutch out ... should fire up ... clutch in, into neutral, jacket and helmet on ... ride.

Stop on a hill a few times to check. But I doubt if it will happen ALL the time ...

fixed for extra clarity

FJRider
26th December 2011, 12:04
fixed for extra clarity

3rd or 4th gear ... on an older 400 cc bike, jumping on may not be needed. BETTER .. if you sit ON the bike and a nice (fit) friend pushes you ... :yes:

OR ... just always park on a hill ...

Jen
26th December 2011, 12:16
Thanks for all the advice guys, I tried the rocking in 1st and 2nd this morning, thinking it may be stuck brushes, but it didn't make any difference. I'll try the jump start and if all else fails I"ll just have to be paitent until working day on Wednesday and take it in to be checked out. The frustrating thing is that it has started, twice! So it must be an easy fix..Anyway time to hit some boxing day sales lol oh btw, no hills around me to always park on hills but nice thought.

FJRider
26th December 2011, 12:25
Thanks for all the advice guys, I tried the rocking in 1st and 2nd this morning, thinking it may be stuck brushes, but it didn't make any difference. I'll try the jump start and if all else fails I"ll just have to be paitent until working day on Wednesday and take it in to be checked out. The frustrating thing is that it has started, twice! So it must be an easy fix..Anyway time to hit some boxing day sales lol oh btw, no hills around me to always park on hills but nice thought.

Try rocking it in gear (clutch out) and try the starter motor ...

schrodingers cat
26th December 2011, 17:11
It sounds like the battery has dropped a cell. Not uncommon on an older bike. The battery will charge up ok but won't have enough amps to achieve cranking. See if a neighbour has got some jumper leads.

If it starts like that then you know everything else is ok.

Otherwise bump start if you're brave enough. You can soon end up a few hundred meters from home, hot sweaty and rooted with no interest or ability to push the bike home...

Good luck

FJRider
26th December 2011, 17:39
.... You can soon end up a few hundred meters from home, hot sweaty and rooted with no interest or ability to push the bike home...

Good luck

Are you are saying that as an incentive ... or warning .... :innocent:

Good luck ... ??? :blink:

The Lone Rider
26th December 2011, 19:58
I am free until mid Jan if you need a hand. Probably won't be able to help much.

Or if you can trailer it over, you're welcome to use my little workshop if you supply your own consumables.

Flip
27th December 2011, 19:16
Well worth a read:

http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Jen
28th December 2011, 16:53
Thanks for all the advice guys, have still not managed to get it going and now i'm back to work :( and the weather is supposed to pack up. Its a project for this weekend in the garage. I have a mechanically minded friend coming to look at it, so fingers crossed next fine weekend I"m off into the sunset lol. I'll keep you all posted as to what the issue is. I doubt very much its the battery as its brand spanking new. Time will tell.

Jen
28th December 2011, 16:55
Well worth a read:

http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Thanks for the link, that will come in handy I think :facepalm:

Jen
8th January 2012, 15:35
Well its been a week of events. Tested the starter solanoid and it was definitely dead on the negative terminal. Bought a universal which then caused a slight headache due to the connection to the old solenoid being a 4 prong male and the universal was a 2 prong female lol some hours later figured out the wiring dilemma with help of a friend we got it sorted. Not sure the wiring is correct though as it is still having a starting issue, not sure if it is the starter motor itself missing or if the wiring is sending too much power to the starter causing it to miss. But good news, I have had it started, been out on it a few times and today managed a ride to akaroa and back withonly one starter malfunction but not enough to put me off. (had jump leads in the saddle bag on friends bike just incase had to short it to start lol But HELL it was great to be out there today! Thanks to all those who gave me advice and numbers to get in touch with. I will get it to a mechanic or sparky to ensure the starting issue is fixed for good as the bike itself, though old, is original and such a classic I think I want to hold onto it. Even when I get a better bike.