PDA

View Full Version : CBR 600 f2/3 rebuild!

Icemaestro
27th December 2011, 17:44
So with my cbr 600 f2 that I purchased about 2 months ago came a 1994 f2 parts bike...ie frame, many bits and pieces in a box, blown engine etc.

Thought I would put on here what I've done, receive suggestions etc (IE HELP!)

First, removed old engine,
put in 1998 f3 engine, f3 gauges
put in f3 wiring loom, connected to engine, switches etc, rewired radiator plug, hard wired aftermarket RR Really should have done this BEFORE putting the engine in!
put in + cleaned ignition coils and startor
stripped sump plug screw doing oil and filter change (5h working on the bike...hmm why is the sump plug not coming out???:-P)
New Battery
Fitted brake line with banjo bolt, washers from an R6 (cheers Glenn), filled with brake fluid + 15 min of pumping brake lever - brakes are still very squishy, I can pull it all the way in to the bar, anything I can do other than braided lines? My other f2 isn't like this...not to mention the front brake drags quite a bit I believe (even before I filled with fluid) - do I need to take the calipers off and clean them? and can I do this with brake fluid still in?
installed rear fender, pillion pegs
blocked off the tubes coming from the water pump (supposed to go to f3 carb) and from the right side of the engine block (again going to f3 carb)
replaced cab rubber engine mount bits with ones from the f2 engine
installed f2 carbs (45 bloody minutes to get on, hairdrier and everything!)
removed carbs to fit throttle cables, + rout the replaced carbs
helicoiled sump (thanks to Glenn, though not quite straight so there's a tiny seep of oil) - any ideas what to do about this? re tap out to 14mm?
installed air box/filter
Attempted to start bike, realised fuel leaking out of number 4 carb and bike not starting
installed headers and exhaust, fixed up number 4 carb and fuel line
Started bike!!

Discovered small spring ?from one of the carbs siting on the engine block
Also making a loud noise from the right hand side of the engine - my first thought is the cam chain but my other one did that about 1000kms after I bought it and it was the carbs...can they make this noise?
VIDEO HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyzuTI8Qg2c&feature=plcp&context=C34d546aUDOEgsToPDskLevslhuPMr11t9vC4xn_JD )

Still to do: Picking up headlight, rear section with the indicators, numberplate holder etc at the end of the week when I head down to palmy
As I said I probably need to take apart and clean the front calipers,
spring to hold exhaust on, clamp to mount it to pillion peg
Turn the rear shock around - it's been mounted the wrong way so that the reservoir isn't long enough to mount properly
New tires ( A little unsure as to whether the front rim is the right size - hopefully it is!! As the original has a big dent in it, and the one on there has a really strange size tyre on it - 125/65 or something silly)
find and install some front indicators - contemplating LED's but I hear alot of people saying they aren't visable enough + would have to get a flasher relay...Do my indicators need to be 'E' marked? The bike has a rego that's on hold so doesn't need compliance (though probably should)
find a left rear fairing piece as the one I have is pretty munted

Anything else I should/need to do?
Contemplating getting george the MC doctor to do the carbs - he did them on my other bike really well, and for a good price.

And some photos :-) right before I cleaned it a little.