PDA

View Full Version : Rego question

placidfemme
21st July 2005, 08:24
My rego is going to expire next week, and I was looking at the form and they have options for 6 months and 12 months...

Now my question is... can I get my bike Rego'd for 3 months?

The way I see it, if I do the Rego for 6 months, then my next Rego will be due just after x-mas... approx, 2 weeks after I get back to work from my x-mas break... and going on the last 3 years, by the time I get back to work I'm on a VERY tight budget after wasting all my money on my time off...

So If I get it done for 3 months, then I can do it for a year and then have the Rego due at a time when it's more affordable for me...

So is that possible?

Riff Raff
21st July 2005, 08:26
I keep losing the rego form that gets sent out for my car, so I just fill out one at the post office which gives the option of 3 months. So in answer to your question, yes you can!

WRT
21st July 2005, 08:40
Also, I just did the car's one online (https://www.ltsatransact.govt.nz/transactions/RenewVehicleLicence/entry.aspx) on friday, and there is the option to do 12, 6, or 3 months from there. Sticker arrived in the post on Tuesday . . . altho one little gripe, its too big to fit in the holder!! But otherwise, easy system . . .

v.ros`
21st July 2005, 08:53
yes u can...

under the 6 and 12 month 'tick' box, there is another option that says 'specify number of amount: 3 - 12' tick that.

I also got mine yesterday--- ARRGGHHHH

placidfemme
21st July 2005, 09:53
Thank you everyone

*took me a while to figure out my post had been moved into this section... sorry mod*

How much does it cost for 3 months?

Beemer
21st July 2005, 10:01
You can relicence a vehicle for any period of time - even a month or less. My husband has a bike he keeps on exemption during most of the year and he only uses it in summer. Sometimes he licences it for a week only, then puts it back on exemption.

Three months is a little over a quarter of the cost - it is cheaper to do it for a whole year at a time, but it's not significantly more expensive.

v.ros`
21st July 2005, 10:30
i dont think there is any discount (well big one) for doing it yearly... so if im not mistaken, 3 months will be the exact half of 6 months...

vifferman
21st July 2005, 10:34
You can relicence a vehicle for any period of time - even a month or less. My husband has a bike he keeps on exemption during most of the year and he only uses it in summer. Sometimes he licences it for a week only, then puts it back on exemption.
Are you sure? Last rego I did, I'm pretty certain that under "Period to be Registered" the form had a caveat of "(minimum period of one month)" written.

bugjuice
21st July 2005, 11:21
My last one I got at the end of june, I was going to do 6 months, cos I can't afford a year at the mo. But 6 months from the end of June is Christmas. So I asked for 7 months (just after I get triple paid), so I'll buy a year then. From what I understand, you can buy any monthly amount from 3 to 12 months. Why not go for 9 months..?

Lou Girardin
21st July 2005, 12:27
Minimum of three, max of 12. You can change the expiry date while your bike is currently reg'd as well.

Flyingpony
21st July 2005, 13:10
Also, I just did the car's one online (https://www.ltsatransact.govt.nz/transactions/RenewVehicleLicence/entry.aspx) on friday, and there is the option to do 12, 6, or 3 months from there. Sticker arrived in the post on Tuesday . . . altho one little gripe, its too big to fit in the holder!! But otherwise, easy system . . .
Still waiting for mine to arrive.
Purchased on 12th, took my money and still hasn't arrived 9 days later :wait:
Old rego slip expires in 2 days time. Shouldn't be too far away. It's not like it's getting forwarded through more than one mailbox.

Edit: My new rego slip has arrived on the last 'legal' day for the old rego slip. Phew.
Next time I'm going to order with more spare time.

Bonez
21st July 2005, 15:57
My rego is going to expire next week, and I was looking at the form and they have options for 6 months and 12 months...

Now my question is... can I get my bike Rego'd for 3 months?

The way I see it, if I do the Rego for 6 months, then my next Rego will be due just after x-mas... approx, 2 weeks after I get back to work from my x-mas break... and going on the last 3 years, by the time I get back to work I'm on a VERY tight budget after wasting all my money on my time off...

So If I get it done for 3 months, then I can do it for a year and then have the Rego due at a time when it's more affordable for me...

So is that possible?
As mentioned you can do it for three months and less. I generally go for the whole 12 months. If I use the bike earlier it's a trivial matter of going to the testing station or a NZ Post shop to renew registration.

unhingedlizard
22nd July 2005, 22:57
I used to do mine at 3 months. Used to cost $74 but that was before they dropped the levie, used to be $300yr now is $249.

Beemer
23rd July 2005, 12:31
Minimum of three, max of 12. You can change the expiry date while your bike is currently reg'd as well.

Sorry Lou, but you are wrong! If you have a MR1 or a MR1B form (the ones they send you by mail), the minimum period is three months, but if you fill out a MR27 form (green, pick it up at the PO), you can nominate the time period you want to licence the vehicle for - a week, a month, four months, 11 months - whatever you want. Good for getting the yearly renewal to a date that doesn't clash with Christmas!

Also, the price for three months is not a quarter of the rate for 12 months because there are fees associated with each transaction. If you licence a car for four periods of three months rather than one period of 12 months, you will be paying about $20 extra - not sure what it is for bikes.

sefer
24th July 2005, 20:43
$68 for 3 months, did it the other day :)

Beemer
25th July 2005, 15:44
My BMW has been on exemption for a while and we licensed it when someone was coming to look at it in case they wanted a test ride - did it for a week and I think it was about $12 from memory.

Lou Girardin
25th July 2005, 16:32
Sorry Lou, but you are wrong! If you have a MR1 or a MR1B form (the ones they send you by mail), the minimum period is three months, but if you fill out a MR27 form (green, pick it up at the PO), you can nominate the time period you want to licence the vehicle for - a week, a month, four months, 11 months - whatever you want. Good for getting the yearly renewal to a date that doesn't clash with Christmas!

Quite right the LTNZ info is ambiguous. But if your licence has expired, the MR27 must be for a period to bring the licence up to and beyond the due date.

Beemer
25th July 2005, 16:46
Quite right the LTNZ info is ambiguous. But if your licence has expired, the MR27 must be for a period to bring the licence up to and beyond the due date.

Only if the bike hasn't been on exemption - if it is on exemption, you can relicence it for a day and only pay for a day - but then if it goes back on exemption and you want to relicence it within the first three months, it will backdate the licence. So if you put your bike on exemption on January 1 and want to relicence it on June 10 for a day - no problem. But if you then put it back on exemption on June 12 and want to relicence it for however long on September 1, you will have to pay the licence from June 12.

If your licence has expired and you HAVEN'T put it on exemption and you want to relicence it, it will backdate to the date the licence expired. So if your bike licence was due on January 1 and you didn't renew it or put it on exemption prior to that date, if you go to renew it on February 1, you will still have to pay from January 1.

SuperDave
25th July 2005, 17:15

Great, I think I will just get mine done for 3 months then. It's only more expensive by a few dollars.

raster
25th July 2005, 18:09
That is correct, did mine Sunday, label is going to taupo cause bike still under Bros name, am going to see if I can pick it up from LTSA.