PDA

View Full Version : Do NZ Police cars have GPS built in?

milan24
30th December 2011, 17:12
i wonder if our police car have gps build in?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10775720

DrunkenMistake
30th December 2011, 17:15
does england no good?:facepalm:

James Deuce
30th December 2011, 17:17
Yes. It's how a helicopter got to me so quickly.

haydes55
30th December 2011, 17:49
does england no good?:facepalm:

Only reason I clicked on this thread was to see what it was supposed to say :facepalm:

BoristheBiter
30th December 2011, 17:52
i wonder if our police car have gps build in?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10775720

Maybe all cars should have built in gps.

milan24
30th December 2011, 20:43
:facepalm:i wish i know this a year ago, that cop might not have proven he pace check me at that speed in court.

scumdog
30th December 2011, 20:53
A cardboard licence plate?:blink:
No wonder he didn't have the brains to just stop...

Damantis
30th December 2011, 21:01
stores information like speed, acceleration, deceleration etc for only a short time and is continually overwritten. Only in a crash does that info become usefull to investigators. I don't know if actual GPS units are in all police cars here but I have definitely seen them on occaision. Probably a very usefull tool for the police. Interesting that individual officers in Victoria appear to be "licensed" to pusue at certain speeds. Shit, I've seen Kiwi cops hit 150 kph before they even flick the lights and siren on!

red mermaid
31st December 2011, 05:55
And as well, 130 km/h through red lights but it wasn't his fault.

A cardboard licence plate?:blink:
No wonder he didn't have the brains to just stop...

nosebleed
31st December 2011, 11:28
No.

They just don't lie in court about the details of the event.

Damn we need a "sarcastic" smiley

SMOKEU
31st December 2011, 11:33
I think that highway patrol cop car I had a complimentary ride in had a built in GPS. VE Commodore.

FJRider
31st December 2011, 11:44
I would be supprised if Police cars didn't have a fleet type GPS tracking unit installed.

Gremlin
31st December 2011, 15:57
I would be supprised if Police cars didn't have a fleet type GPS tracking unit installed.
Would make a lot of sense for resource allocation...

afaik, they just have standard GPS units, but that's only from passing cars now and then and having a quick glimpse at all the goodies.

Ronin
31st December 2011, 16:25

afaik, they just have standard GPS units, but that's only from passing cars now and then and having a quick glimpse at all the goodies.

AFAIK the system logs location, speed, light and siren activation and so on and so on.

FJRider
31st December 2011, 17:06

I have never heard of an officer being asked ... where his location was ...
:shifty:

Hawk
31st December 2011, 20:18
I have it on good authority the bike cops in christchurch do, they even print out the ticket, not that I have been on the wrong side of that machine :msn-wink:

avgas
31st December 2011, 22:27
yes, and then some........

Buying and ex-interceptor is a wise investment when you see all the goodies they get and on occasions forget to remove.

DrunkenMistake
1st January 2012, 10:04

Agreed.

avgas
1st January 2012, 10:41

Agreed.

rastuscat
1st January 2012, 13:12
I have it on good authority the bike cops in christchurch do, they even print out the ticket, not that I have been on the wrong side of that machine :msn-wink:

Interesting. Good authority? I'm the Sgt O/C of the Chch bikes. We don't have GPS. The tickets machines we use have an internal GPS system, but we don't use it.

Speak to your good authority ask him to clarify.

Donuts.

steve_t
1st January 2012, 13:19
Interesting. Good authority? I'm the Sgt O/C of the Chch bikes. We don't have GPS. The tickets machines we use have an internal GPS system, but we don't use it.

Donuts.

Why don't you use the internal GPS in the tickets machines?

Gremlin
1st January 2012, 13:31

Donuts.
:thud: All those toys and you don't get GPS? Mind you... my CB doesn't have it's aerial installed and I don't think you'd like it if I had a radar gun strapped to the side. :lol:

Now and then I get a perve at the bikes when they're parked up at Experience... I saw cheat sheets on the last one, one for the motorway layout and jurisdictions and another with the common codes for offences.

red mermaid
1st January 2012, 15:28
Shhhhhhhhh Rastus, you are spoiling the expert information from those that know our job better than us.

Donuts.

Hawk
1st January 2012, 15:46

Donuts.

I thought want you showed me that day did have a gps unit in it, my bad I thought it was operational.

BoristheBiter
1st January 2012, 16:43
Shhhhhhhhh Rastus, you are spoiling the expert information from those that know our job better than us.

I was hopping this would be another top thread then Rastus goes and spoils it with facts.

FJRider
1st January 2012, 16:51
I was hopping this would be another top thread then Rastus goes and spoils it with facts.

More interesting reading ...

http://www.3news.co.nz/Mother-tells-inquest-Police-didnt-follow-own-rules/tabid/423/articleID/191931/Default.aspx

It's coming ... ???

avgas
1st January 2012, 19:15

The greatest thing the devil ever did was convince people he didn't exist.
There is passive gps on more than a few things in this world.
But then there is no point in tracking a fleet of $50,000+ (per unit)motorcycles/cars. Is there?

rastuscat
1st January 2012, 20:21
Why don't you use the internal GPS in the tickets machines?

When we got the machines we were never shown what use the GPS thing is. They function perfectly well without the GPS function. One day we might learn to use the full functionality, just not yet.

Might be useful if I lose it somewhere. Like "Where Is My iPad" sort of thing.

Can't download apps yet either. I'll have that drinking game app downloaded as soon as I can.

Donuts.

rastuscat
1st January 2012, 20:24
:thud: All those toys and you don't get GPS? Mind you... my CB doesn't have it's aerial installed and I don't think you'd like it if I had a radar gun strapped to the side. :lol:

Now and then I get a perve at the bikes when they're parked up at Experience... I saw cheat sheets on the last one, one for the motorway layout and jurisdictions and another with the common codes for offences.

Have a look under the battery cover on the right hand side of the fairing............the accessory battery cover. There is a big red button which vaporizes any evidence of the quota system if it gets raised by a defence lawyer.

I've used it on the odd occasion.

Chortle.

Jantar
1st January 2012, 20:31
Have a look under the battery cover on the right hand side of the fairing............the accessory battery cover. There is a big red button which vaporizes any evidence of the quota system if it gets raised by a defence layer.

I've used it on the odd occasion.

Chortle.

This thread MUST be saved as proof that our Police do destroy evidence that may assist the defence. :devil2:

tigertim20
1st January 2012, 22:07
Shit, I've seen Kiwi cops hit 150 kph before they even flick the lights and siren on!

you know they were doing 150 before hitting the lights how?

Gremlin
1st January 2012, 23:51
There is a big red button which vaporizes any evidence of the quota system if it gets raised by a defence lawyer.
I was always told never to push the big red button... can I? :eek:

Damantis
2nd January 2012, 07:47
you know they were doing 150 before hitting the lights how?

An estimation of course, but If i'm doing 115-120 ( Thought I was nabbed but wondered why he wasn't in my lane with the lights flashing )and he flies by on the inside without me knowing he was there, he was definitely 140+ before pulling over a car about a km up the road.

They nail it from a standstill, usually on an onramp or suitable speedtrap after clocking traffic heading away from them, and are well in excess of the speed limit before hitting the lights when they are close to the customer. I guess if you are going excessively quick, they hope to be alot closer to you when you notice them so you figure they have your plate so it's not worth doinf a runner? That would be my logic for doing it.... Or maybe they just do it for shits and giggles along with the "Where the fuck did HE come from?" factor.

Ive heard of, but not seen instances of highway patrol cars speeding up behind clocked vehicles at night with NO lights at all, then appearing out of the blackness a few car lengths behind. All good fun till it freaks someone out so badly they lose control. Then it becomes another speed related accident.

avgas
2nd January 2012, 15:06
This thread MUST be saved as proof that our Police do destroy evidence that may assist the defence. :devil2:
How is a bunch of paperwork going to save our country from an invading army?
Most people aren't scared of paper planes these days.

avgas
2nd January 2012, 15:08
I was always told never to push the big red button... can I? :eek:
Every time someone pushes that button a policeman gets a gun.
They must have been hitting it a lot lately.

Hawk
2nd January 2012, 16:14
Can't download apps yet either. I'll have that drinking game app downloaded as soon as I can.

Donuts.

let me know when you do lol

rastuscat
2nd January 2012, 19:15
let me know when you do lol

I'm going to fit a fridge to the right hand pannier too. Great for keeping those donuts you get on sale that you can't eat at the time coz you gotta collect some revenue from a KB member.

:msn-wink:

Brian d marge
2nd January 2012, 20:34
I'm going to fit a fridge to the right hand pannier too. Great for keeping those donuts you get on sale that you can't eat at the time coz you gotta collect some revenue from a KB member.

:msn-wink:

You will be on the exercicle for a month of Sundays , with all the money I’m going to donate to the donut fund

Question though , why do the Rozz need Gps , surely they know where they are,

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JonKpMy5iDM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Stephen

Renegade
2nd January 2012, 20:46
the cop car i was given a ride home in the other night had a built in gps in the centre of the dash, showed everything, radio, heater, reverse sensor and the pretty holden logo on start up.

was told that not all have it fitted and some officers just fit a normal gps to find the odd random street.

hows that for eye witness evidence?

SMOKEU
2nd January 2012, 20:53
I have never heard of an officer being asked ... where his location was ...
:shifty:

Comms frequently ask the location of cops. Heard them ask a lot on my scanner.

They nail it from a standstill, usually on an onramp or suitable speedtrap after clocking traffic heading away from them, and are well in excess of the speed limit before hitting the lights when they are close to the customer. I guess if you are going excessively quick, they hope to be alot closer to you when you notice them so you figure they have your plate so it's not worth doinf a runner? That would be my logic for doing it.... Or maybe they just do it for shits and giggles along with the "Where the fuck did HE come from?" factor.

+1 to that.

rastuscat
3rd January 2012, 08:50
the cop car i was given a ride home in the other night had a built in gps in the centre of the dash, showed everything, radio, heater, reverse sensor and the pretty holden logo on start up.

was told that not all have it fitted and some officers just fit a normal gps to find the odd random street.

hows that for eye witness evidence?

When the EQ happened the management shipped lots of cars down here from Wellytown and Orkers. Some were new, and had the factory GPS in them. Of those, some were enabled, some weren't. When a District orders a replacement vehicle they get to specify the options, some pick all the fruit, some go basic to save costs. Some get SV6s, some get the budget versions.

This query was originally about the Popo bikes equipment, and the only GPS on a Popo bike at the moment is a private one. I used my personal Tom Tom Rider II on the cycle tour of Southland a couple of years back, for fear of getting lost out in the boondocks. Bloody handy.

Interestingly, the management has issued a directive that only a specific model of a specific brand can be fitted to Police cars. Everyone basically ignores that directive, and uses their own personal ones.

BoristheBiter
3rd January 2012, 12:31
When the EQ happened the management shipped lots of cars down here from Wellytown and Orkers. Some were new, and had the factory GPS in them. Of those, some were enabled, some weren't. When a District orders a replacement vehicle they get to specify the options, some pick all the fruit, some go basic to save costs. Some get SV6s, some get the budget versions.

This query was originally about the Popo bikes equipment, and the only GPS on a Popo bike at the moment is a private one. I used my personal Tom Tom Rider II on the cycle tour of Southland a couple of years back, for fear of getting lost out in the boondocks. Bloody handy.

Interestingly, the management has issued a directive that only a specific model of a specific brand can be fitted to Police cars. Everyone basically ignores that directive, and uses their own personal ones.

I think there is a mix up to it means to be GPS enabled.

Most gps are not gps tracked as in the story.