PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - various Virago 250 mods

aum108
1st January 2012, 20:59
Hi,

I bought a Virago 250 a couple of days ago, and love it to bits. It's a whole new reality after that lame Chinese scooter I've been riding.

But there are a couple of things I'd like to do to improve my ride. I'd be grateful for some good advice and feedback on any of these areas:

Lower the brake pedal - I'm 189cm (6'2"), and my right foot can't rest comfortably on the peg without the pedal turning on the brake light. I've lowered the pedal as far as I can without losing braking. Some folks suggest putting a blowtorch on the pedal and bending it down. Is there a better way?

Raise the seat - I think that could make the riding position a tad more comfy for my height. What's the best way to do this? Adapters under the seat to raise the whole seat, or re-upholstering the seat with a shitload of foam?

Re-gear - factory config is 16 cogs front, 45 rear. I'm thinking about doing 17 front and 42 rear. The bike has a wide power curve, and plenty of spare oomph at low revs, so I'm looking at sacrificing a bit of low-speed acceleration to get lower RPM and more comfort at motorway speeds. Does anyone have any experience re-gearing a Virago 250?

Windscreen - would be nice as a way to reduce the buffeting at speed. Also, some folks say they improve fuel economy slightly. But I get some relief from the wind by putting my feet on the back pegs :eek: Do windscreens help much?

Thanks in advance for your help

a

skinman
1st January 2012, 21:35
Hi

If I could be so bold as to suggest that perhaps at your height the virago was maybe not the best choice,
however you have got it now sooo.....

Cant really comment on the alteration stuff but windscreens make a heap of difference, some good, some not so much.
Probably the best solution is a Givi sceen, can fit pretty much any bike & shouldnt cause helmet buffet which a tall screen will.
It will reduce the wind load on the chest.
Screens cause the wind blast to be deflected upwards, you really want it to hit you above chin level otherwise it will drive air under your chin area & lift the helmet (not good) however screens also cause a low pressure area behind them which can draw air from under the screen & create a vertical draft which in turn creates a rotating vortex at about level with the top of the screen, you dont want your helmet in this area either as there is a lot of buffeting.
This does not occur with all bikes so its a bit of trial & error to find the best solution for the bike/rider combination & screen position.

I didnt alter my Virago as I didnt really see the point seeing I was only going to get a bigger bike as soon as possible so just dealt with the wind & gearing.

Hope that helped

FJRider
1st January 2012, 21:43
Hi,

I bought a Virago 250 a couple of days ago, and love it to bits. It's a whole new reality after that lame Chinese scooter I've been riding.

But there are a couple of things I'd like to do to improve my ride. I'd be grateful for some good advice and feedback on any of these areas:

Lower the brake pedal - I'm 189cm (6'2"), and my right foot can't rest comfortably on the peg without the pedal turning on the brake light. I've lowered the pedal as far as I can without losing braking. Some folks suggest putting a blowtorch on the pedal and bending it down. Is there a better way?

Raise the seat - I think that could make the riding position a tad more comfy for my height. What's the best way to do this? Adapters under the seat to raise the whole seat, or re-upholstering the seat with a shitload of foam?

Re-gear - factory config is 16 cogs front, 45 rear. I'm thinking about doing 17 front and 42 rear. The bike has a wide power curve, and plenty of spare oomph at low revs, so I'm looking at sacrificing a bit of low-speed acceleration to get lower RPM and more comfort at motorway speeds. Does anyone have any experience re-gearing a Virago 250?

Windscreen - would be nice as a way to reduce the buffeting at speed. Also, some folks say they improve fuel economy slightly. But I get some relief from the wind by putting my feet on the back pegs :eek: Do windscreens help much?

a

The brake pedal is on a splined shaft I think. If it is ... loosen the connecting rods- mark the position of the pedal on the shaft with a black marker. Loosen the bolt holding the pedal on shaft. Pull it off the spline and rotate (forward) slightly. Before tightening ... check position is correct with your foot on peg.pedal. Reconnect all brake connections.

Try a thick sheepskin (You can attach around the seat with elastic for easy removal)

One tooth on the front equals seven off the back. See what cogs are available first. My advice is DONT. You dont have power to spare. Better highway speeds are for better bikes. Be patient.

Fairings can save fuel. Windscreens usually add to consumption. (The sail principal)

skinman
1st January 2012, 21:49
the seating postion on the Virago however makes the rider a sail (unless you lie on the tank) but I would never do that :msn-wink:
I would not expect much of a difference in fuel consumption. They use bugger all anyway so why worry.

tigertim20
1st January 2012, 21:58
a windscreen will make for a bit more comfort, and there are lots of options out there, look on trademe for some, they can usually be fitted very easily even if they arent designed for your particular model.

for the brake pedal, as FJrider mentioned, it will be on a splined shaft, with a 10mm bolt holding it tight, undo the 10mm bolt and move it round a bit. You might also need to adjust the brake light switch as well so your brake light isnt constantly on, depending on what the setup is like on it.

as for regearing, dont bother. the virago doesnt have much power, and I would suggest that its limited power would make regearing a bit pointless, but that is just my opinion on the matter.

as for raising the seat, a few options here. for one, you could use a thick sheepskin as already suggested.
alternatively, whip down to spotlight or a similar shop, and buy a piece of vinyl, and some firm foam. you should have enough left out of $20 to buy yourself a beer for the job ahead.
take the seat off, turn it over, and undo the staples holding the seat material on. cut the foam to shape, and add it to the top of the seat. then lay your new vinyl on top, and wrap it around the seat, then use a staple gun to fix it.
that will add some meat to the seat, and it is a cheap, easy mod you can do yourself while drinking a cold beer.

Also, welcome to KB, dont take anything too seriously, dont feed the trolls and youll be sweet.
and you should post some pictures of your new ride!

Sable
2nd January 2012, 01:35
Lower the brake pedal - Leave your foot off it til you're ready to use it like the gear lever.

Raise the seat - Get a real bike.

Re-gear - On a Virago 250? See above.

Windscreen - Take a concrete pill candy-ass.

You're welcome.

aum108
2nd January 2012, 06:16
Hi

If I could be so bold as to suggest that perhaps at your height the virago was maybe not the best choice,
however you have got it now sooo.....

Sadly, with being on learners, and having limited choice of dealers and finance, and limited budget, and needing a bike capable of adequate motorway speeds, the Virago was the only option.

The bike is really great in so many other ways, it's just the brake pedal that drives me nuts.

Kickaha
2nd January 2012, 06:34
One tooth on the front equals seven off the back.

One tooth on the front is a lot closer to 3 off the back than 7

aum108
2nd January 2012, 06:45
I haven't been here long but I'm finding KB very refreshing, especially after all the PC BS I've had to deal with in recent years.

Windscreen - Take a concrete pill candy-ass.

Yep, I guess a lot of issues basically come down to HTFU :lol:

The Lone Rider
2nd January 2012, 10:59
I'm the same height, and heavier.

I rode around on a Virago 250 when I got my first road legal bike.

I'd say enjoy it while you can, then upgrade to a bike where customizing has more options.

Failing that, get a 250 Magna, or be prepared to sink money into a 250 you may sell off one day anyway.

Also a suggestion - for any modifications you make, try to do so in a way that they can revert back to stock. Not all mods are everyones cup of tea, and can make it difficult to sell off later.

ktm84mxc
2nd January 2012, 19:37
There's a shop that reshapes & covers seats in Morrinsville on the Hamilton RD before the bike shops, just keep your standard cover & foam to fit when you upgrade.
A fairing will help with motorway work, but will be affected by cross winds and the wash from large trucks. Try a Givi good design & fit.
One tooth on the front is equal to 3 on the back, 30 $ for a front spkt is way cheaper way of changing your gearing as rears start at $70.
As stated just lower the brake pedal on the spline & adjust the free play to your liking.

FJRider
2nd January 2012, 19:57
One tooth on the front is a lot closer to 3 off the back than 7

On a 250 ... 3 would FEEL like 7 ... :killingme

98tls
2nd January 2012, 20:08
Fwiw "buffeting" has a lot to do with the shape of your helmet specifically the shape of the back of it.

jrandom
2nd January 2012, 20:55
Do windscreens help much?

Well, yes, kinda, but... just don't, OK?

You'll understand eventually. It has to do with gayness.

aum108
5th January 2012, 20:21
You'll understand eventually. It has to do with gayness.

I'm not ready for the pink leathers yet :bleh:

In the words of skinman above, I do feel like a sail at motorway speed. But lying forward with feet on the back pegs overcomes this completely, and is actually very comfortable. :niceone: The thought of adding secondary brake and gear pedals to the back pegs has crossed my mind :eek:

As for the brake pedal - yes, it's on a splined shaft so I was able to lower it today and re-adjust the brake cable and stop light actuator. Perfect now :)

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys

a