PDA

View Full Version : whats a good glue

motelbob
21st July 2005, 13:16
trying to glue down some plastic bits and pieces on the bike that have come loose. Tried superglue and plastic glue but it just wont grip. Anyone got a brand that works.

vifferman
21st July 2005, 13:26
You're a bit vague there, Bob.

Fairing plastic (ABS)? Look for a glue that has MEK as a solvent (I think that stands for "methyl-ethyl-ketone"). At a pinch, you can use summat acetone-based, like the stuff used to glue plastic plumbing bits.

I had trouble finding the right adhesive, but model shops often have the right stuff. Something that did seem to work was "Vinyl Repair Adhesive" which is supposed to be for fixing stuff made out of vinyl, but actually worked very well for the plastic bits inside the car, fairing bits, and (here was the big surprise) the tank pad on my VFR750.

bugjuice
21st July 2005, 13:27
how about 'man-made' stuff..?? give it a shake, and about 5 minutes later, sticky stuff that just gets everywhere..

Else make sure the abient temp is high enough to make it stick. Cold weather won't help the drying and bonding process. Loctite is often good (stuck my fingers together all the time), and most other glues.. Which bits exactly are you sticking together?

Hitcher
21st July 2005, 15:26
Offer a prayer for guidance to Araldite, the Greek goddess of adhesion...

bugjuice
21st July 2005, 15:37
goddess? was she attractive? and therefore hold the ironic link to a previous comment?

ManDownUnder
21st July 2005, 15:37
I'll vouch for Ados... and Araldite

but to be fair it really does depend on what the various things are made of, what conditions they're in, and if you EVER want them to come off (i.e. in the case of repair or whatever).

5 min or 24 hour Araldite it bloody good stuff... give it a while to cure - let the bike sit in the sun while it down - it AIN'T going to move

James Deuce
21st July 2005, 15:40
Horses make good glue.

Blackbird
21st July 2005, 15:44
As Viffferman said, it depends where. I'm not normally a Selley's fan but their Urethane Bond is quite impressive. When I fitted the Scottoiler piping, the superglue they supplied was hopeless to bond the plastic retaining clip to the swingarm. Araldite lasted a bit longer but was too rigid and eventually detached. The Urethane Bond stays slightly flexible and has stayed in place for 4 years. If it's a significant load-bearing area, then plastic welding might be your only option.

vifferman
21st July 2005, 15:48
I'll vouch for Ados... and Araldite

but to be fair it really does depend on what the various things are made of, what conditions they're in, and if you EVER want them to come off (i.e. in the case of repair or whatever).

5 min or 24 hour Araldite it bloody good stuff... give it a while to cure - let the bike sit in the sun while it down - it AIN'T going to move
Sometimes epoxies aren't the best for bike plastics - depends on what you're joining, and how. With flexing, the bond to plastics can let go, especially if the surface area being joined is small.
For fairing cracks etc., gluing them from the back can work well, especially if you do it from behind and reinforce with slivers of fairing plastic, fibreglass tape or whatever to increase the size of the bonded area.
Ados (there's several adhesives - I guess you meant the rubber cement?) isn't the best either - not rigid enough. The exception would be for some things that are meant to flex and where the bonding area is relatively large.

vifferman
21st July 2005, 15:49
Horses make good glue.
And not bad pet food.
Apparently horse steaks are prized in some countries too. :yes:

Brian d marge
21st July 2005, 16:11

Id bend over ...umm backwards to those deities ( gods) ,,,if only they would play ball with me ,,,,

I now realise that glue and me were never meant to work together ,,,,,,I follow the instructions , clean ..with the right stuff ,,,glue ..press wait ...

Clean ...repeat step one .....

2 pot araldite seems to stay glued long enough to make me happy ...but for some reason the same stuff isnt working as well here in Japan!?? humidity??

Good luck in your endevers

Stephen

Ixion
21st July 2005, 17:09
I find I get good results with the hot melt stuff (the sort that comes in sticks and you apply it with a gun)

F5 Dave
21st July 2005, 17:40
Yeeer! Still there are several grades of hot glue. The majority of domestic ones are dreadful. Selleys All Clear is a great glue for doing things like attaching flush mount indicators to the inside of fairings etc. Sticks like glue, even though it isn't & flexes. Good for helpnig keep wheel weights on etc.

WINJA
21st July 2005, 17:45
I USED A SOLDERING IRON TO MELT PLASTIC TOGETHER ,THEN REINFORCED WITH 2 PAC FIBERGLASS GLUE AND FILLER

marty
21st July 2005, 18:42
And not bad pet food.

and Hamilton....

Lee Rusty
21st July 2005, 18:50
can be glued with Bostic Titan Bond plus - 8.99 at the warehouse - it does take a while to dry tho

DingDong
21st July 2005, 19:12
Well its not glue... but RTV Silicone clear will stick any two things together, Ive only seen it for sale at FOSROC (someone must have it tho)

cant be the RF in bits?, must be a Yamaha :yes:

soundbeltfarm
21st July 2005, 20:01
And not bad pet food.

i ate horse when i was in scotland a couple of times.
the bastards let me eat it twice then told me what it was,
i nearly spewed.
i was in a little village where they eat it a little bit.
never again, but its just the thought of eating mr ed ,the taste was o.k

Hitcher
21st July 2005, 21:10
i ate horse when i was in scotland a couple of times.
the bastards let me eat it twice then told me what it was,
i nearly spewed.
I am always amazed at the reaction some people have to the perception of good wholesome animal protein. It's not as though horses are unclean or their meat putrid or toxic. Merely the thought of it being from a horse. A bit like cat, dog, chipmonk or iguana. As long as it is fresh and properly cooked, what's the problem? That lamb chop or McDonald's burger may have come from somebody's pet as well. Get over it!

James Deuce
21st July 2005, 21:42
I am always amazed at the reaction some people have to the perception of good wholesome animal protein. It's not as though horses are unclean or their meat putrid or toxic. Merely the thought of it being from a horse. A bit like cat, dog, chipmonk or iguana. As long as it is fresh and properly cooked, what's the problem? That lamb chop or McDonald's burger may have come from somebody's pet as well. Get over it!

Anthropomorphist Disney movies, and '50s sitcoms and TV Westerns have a LOT to answer for.

SixPackBack
21st July 2005, 21:53

Bbbbbbbbaaaaaahhhhhh.........human flesh.....mmmmmmmmm yumyumyum

Hitcher
21st July 2005, 22:04
Anthropomorphist Disney movies, and '50s sitcoms and TV Westerns have a LOT to answer for.
And Babe. And Watership Down (what was THAT all about then?)...

Hitcher
21st July 2005, 22:04
Bbbbbbbbaaaaaahhhhhh.........human flesh.....mmmmmmmmm yumyumyum
I must try it cooked some time...

hXc
21st July 2005, 22:54
I don't know what the 6th formers at school use but they get pretty high on it. Maybe I should ask them sometime :rofl:

If you need it to be strong then just plastic weld it using a v in the back and filling it. It is easier to remove the bits first.

Ixion
22nd July 2005, 01:23

Horse is Ok. Dog's not bad. Haven't tried cat , Mrs Ixion watches over them too closely.

motelbob
22nd July 2005, 07:48
Cheers people. I guess Ill be on the lookout for some 2 potsolvynalocturethafibreselleymeltite!!! Thanks for the options.

SPman
22nd July 2005, 08:23

Not all its cracked up to be.............so I've heard.

ajturbo
22nd July 2005, 08:39
DOG SHIT!!!!

it sticks to everything... and have YOU tried to remove it????:devil2:

Lou Girardin
22nd July 2005, 09:26
And thank you Mr Lecter.

skidz
22nd July 2005, 10:29
Ask the street kids as they know whats good or not.

pete376403
22nd July 2005, 10:42
Gorilla Glue (polyurethane) is good for lots of things - dunno about bike plastics though - they seem to be in a class of their own for unrepairability.

SARGE
22nd July 2005, 14:46
trying to glue down some plastic bits and pieces on the bike that have come loose. Tried superglue and plastic glue but it just wont grip. Anyone got a brand that works.

depends what you are glueing.. i use Automotive trim tape quite a bit (3M)

vifferman
22nd July 2005, 15:07
Nails.

Pharkin big nails.

banditboy
24th August 2005, 20:08
You could try a 2 part amrine glue that will dissolve the plastic slightly then fuse it together, I reattached the rear guard on my dirt bike and I would say it was stronger than the actuakl guard.

2nd October 2005, 21:04
sikaflex. goes on like silicone, sets like rubber. sticks like shit to a blanket.
used to glue car winscreens in. awesome stuff. only good for permanent fixing, you have to cut the stuff to get it off. highly recomended for anything that rattles/vibrates badly... { harley owners swear by the stuff.}
depends on what you are glueing though, some times its cheaper to get things fixed properley once than to fix the same thing 20 times. :niceone:

RiderInBlack
3rd October 2005, 06:55
Don't bother to glue your plastic. Get the right plastic rod (ABS for "Roxanne") and plastic weld it with a soldering iron (I weld from both sides and try to make sure that I have melted right through the crack). Piece of cake and as good as new. I have rebuilt totally missing pieces this way:cool:

avgas
3rd October 2005, 07:03
Well its not glue... but RTV Silicone clear will stick any two things together, Ive only seen it for sale at FOSROC (someone must have it tho)

cant be the RF in bits?, must be a Yamaha :yes:
Ive got it at M10 new lynn - so its probably in the other as well. Ados silicon shelf
If you ask a staff member where it is, and they dont answer in like 1 minute, find another staff member. All the nex staff in these stores we're getting are morons.